Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...kind-of-a-jerk/
Some emails between Cyanogen and OnePlus got leaked today

I found this one amusing

quote:

From : Kirt McMaster Date : Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 2.59 PM Subject : Cyanogen termination To : Carl Pei Cc: Vikram Natrajan , Frank Montes
Carl….Any and all communication in regard to oneplus and cyanogen must go through vik and myself.
We will halt support for oneplus devices immediately…..I am also requesting that oneplus stop using the cyanogen brand in any marketing collateral or communication in India. [sic]
Frank also cc’d is our general council. If you have any specific questions send them to all of us.
K
Sent from my iPad

Cyanogen's CEO won't even touch his own bullshit on a tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Should I not expect Moto Voice to read my text messages if I have Hangouts as the default text messaging app?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My wife's Nexus 5 continues to be crap with Lollipop even after a factor reset. Apps will automatically close, including the camera in the middle of trying to take pictures. I'm tempted to just stop waiting on Google to unfuck their own phone and get something else. The LG G2 is pretty cheap on EBay, I imagine that should be a sufficient reps replacement? The battery life looks like it would be much better and the build quality of the Nexus 5 never wowed me. I'm tempted to pay more for the refurbed M8 for $300 but performance isn't a huge need. The G2 doesn't have lollipop yet but I don't see that as a problem anymore.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SwissCM posted:

Same deal with my mums Nexus 5. If its been on long enough, programs just randomly close due to that memory leak.

Yeah the camera app will sometimes just close when she's trying to take a picture of one of our kids. Or Candy Crush and she loses a life. Can't tell which one makes her more mad.

I've mentioned daily reboots and app monitoring but micromanaging her phone like it was a computer running DOS is beyond ridiculous in 2015. If I wanted a phone that works only 90% of the time I'd just get an OPO

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lollipop is great on my Moto X. My Nexus 7 2013 seems okay too but I got after the initial release people complained about. Seems okay on my wife's 2012 N7 too. But the N5 was unusable up until 5.01 update and now it's reminding me of some poo poo bargain level 2011 era phone

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

Did you try a factory reset? In my experience, almost every time an Android phone behaved lovely right after an update a factory reset fixed it up.

Yep

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I always hate how I have to press play like 10 times before my voice mail would play. Or I'd download a 20th+ copy of voicemail.mp3

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My Moto X keeps turning the volume/ringer back up on my phone even though I want it silenced when I'm not at home. I'm assuming its because Moto Assist turns it back on when I am home and doesn't turn it back down when I am somewhere else. Is there a way to change or configure this?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Edit- double post

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 28, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SB35 posted:

No wireless charging OR QuickCharging on the 1+2? No NFC?

But for some reason it has a fingerprint sensor and laser cameras and USB-C. Interesting priorities there guys.

Never settle

I'd actually consider a 1+2 this time around if I could be sure the build quality didn't wildly vary and that it would be handled in a professional manner

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On good they still are using the invite system. For a second I thought they learned their lesson and were trying to improve things

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

New MotoX has a TFT LCD instead of AMOLED :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Still giggling about OnePlus. "No one uses NFC so we are stripping it out...by the way here is a Type-C connector"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Maybe the 810 will get so hot it will melt whatever lovely cheap glue OP used in their phone to secure something

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

codo27 posted:

Any battery pack I've ever seen is much, much thicker and heavier than my phones battery. Not to mention, then you still have to have the drat thing with a cord hanging out of your pocket if you're on the move. Don't even notice the spare in my pocket, throw the other in the wall charger and not have it affect my phone usage whatsoever.

I've got one of those lipstick sized batteries with a 6" cord. Fits in my pocket just fine...but I'm a cargo short wearing goon so there's that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Watching the backlash against OP online is hilarious. It's like they totally misjudged and misread their narrow customer base or why people cared about them

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Linked the AP article to 2 friends with OnePlus Ones.
Neither cared.

:shrug:

Xda had an editorial bitching about 1+2 and it's getting roasted on the android subreddit. Yeah yeah echo chamber I know, but these guys are the demographic OP has to target and put up with their garbage for the 1+1

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OP can't act like Samsung or Apple. Their only saving grace was the enthusiast community who tolerated their poo poo because they were cheap, filled spec boxes, and used a garbage third party ROM that they loved.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Athenry posted:

Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen vs. the 720p in the G. G has a bigger battery and newer SoC and is water resistant.

Any reviews have battery life tests yet? My wife is hating her nexus 5. Soc performance isn't something she'd notice but better battery life, camera, storage via SD card, and build quality (her power button sometimes gets jammed) would be.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I couldn't care less at this point because of how hilarious the company has handled just about everything and how they throw their hands up and say "Well most people don't use it so nope, we won't include it!" especially considering mid-range phones are starting to carry it and how cheap it is to include.

No one uses NFC but tons of people have type C cables just littered all over the house waiting to be used

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Rear power button... Ugh makes it a no good since unless it has a tap screen to wake feature I can't use it when it's docked on my bike.

Or if you have it in a dash/CD mount in your car

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

There is always a big flaw with Nexus devices. Given those rumored specs I'm going with either made from dried play dough or will be OOS for 6 months with random and short lived back in stock flashes

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Basically in a basement, then.

You have more control over your WiFi strength in your house than you do cell reception. I can stick wireless routers all over the drat place if I want

Also works overseas for calling people in the US for no charge. Yeah yeah Google Voice but some people have trouble with the concept of you having two numbers in the year 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tmobile probably doesn't want to deal with the potential headache of someone having LTE data but no cell service and bitching to Tmobile about why they aren't getting their text or calls

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No band 12 is a huge disappointment to me as that was one of the reasons why I wanted to replace my wife's Nexus 5 (battery and SD card the other) :(

It's still a nice phone but there are now B12 towers up near me and there definitely are dead spots around Sacramento

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Are you saying there are dead spots without B12 that get filled in when you have it? Coverage around Sac has been pretty good in my experience. Where in particular around Sac are you thinking?

One example I hit most of the time is driving down 50 there is a spot where I get literally zero coverage around Watt/Power Inn. Both my wife's Nexus 5 and my Moto X. And then just the expected indoor spottiness, especially when I'm inside buildings downtown

You're right, T-Mobile coverage for the most part is good in the Sacramento area but I'd rather not buy a new phone that doesn't have it. Unfortunately the pickings for midrange phones with band 12 are slim to non-existant

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 4, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

So, that's where things look less rosy for MediaTek and Rockchip. They probably wouldn't be able to land manufacturing space in Samsungs fabs and will have to use TSMC or the like. That could constrain them a bit from moving from the lower performing end. However, Intel is contracting out their fabs as well so it's hard to say, maybe one or both of them could contract out to Intel and gain access to better processes.

Intel and Rockchip already have a partnership. I believe Intel plans on cranking out their cheap Sofia stuff and having Rockchip push that poo poo all over China

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It doesn't have OIS right? Camera shots still better than what you get with Nexus 5?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

I'd say opposite, for what it's worth. I've been pretty impressed with the Moto X 2014 battery given all the gnashing of teeth about it, and this is coming from a LG G2 with great battery. I fully admit to not using it as much as some of you might, though; ~4 hours of SoT in a day is plenty for me and the X gets that easily for me. Better than I got from a Nexus 5, fwiw. The camera is also not as bad as I was expecting, though definitely a bit worse than the G2's. I don't have any confidence the new Moto G will have updates for longer than the flagship released just one year earlier, too. Finally, black understated phones look nice, who needs gaudy customization :)

But yeah, the G should definitely have better battery life, so that could be worth it for you. And if you like customization, obviously the G wins on that. FistEnergy didn't mention it, but doesn't the new G have an sd card slot? If 16 GB isn't enough for you, that's what I was seeing for $200 on eBay, not sure how much more you'll have to pay for 32 GB. For camera (edit: oh actually, did the G get the Nexus 6's sensor? That should be better than the Moto X 2014, yeah?) and updates, I'd bet on the X still, though I could be wrong. Either way, I think you should be happy with what you get!

Battery life on the X is pretty lackluster for me. I get through a typical day OK but if I'm out for an extended period of time or have to use it more than normal then I better bring along an external battery.

An one of the reasons I want to replace my wife's N5 is that 16GB isn't enough for her unless I clean her photos off regularly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

By clean off I mean move them over to my server where all our photos are stored. I use dropsync on my phone for this but she has another Dropbox account she uses for work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Yes, it is. It's literally all drawback and no advantage but idiots love SD cards so now you get much slower, much less reliable storage that you'll have to pay for separately and now your removable storage is no longer removable. So much better than it was when things worked.

I have no problem with phones that don't have it, or paying more for the option to have enough memory. But if the phone in looking at has SD card support boy howdy am I going to take advantage of it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

Just checked - 16gb version is still Delayed Shipping. Not OOS.

Ordered mine yesterday and it moved to assembling today, although I assume it'll stay there for awhile

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Doesn't running CM result in poorer camera photo quality?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-10/htc-trading-near-cash-leaves-a-smartphone-brand-with-no-value

Today, HTC's stock value fell below cash on hand. This means that investors feel HTC's brand, manufacturing, and other assets are worth effectively zero.

Technerds blame it on M9 being a big meh over the M8, but I'd imagine they'd be in trouble even if they decided to fix up the things wrong with the M8

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

So to continue the silly trainwreck that is OnePlus, the OP2 is delayed 2 to 3 weeks for US and EU. They've also received over 2 million reservations so... good luck getting a phone new from them anytime in the next year.

Are those are just "I'm interested in the phone here is my email" numbers? Because if so, it is a ton of people who either
1) Were mildly interested in the phone and just put their name down in case since it's impossible without an invite
2) Plan on selling the invite for :10bux:
3) Plan on selling the phone for a mark-up on Ebay or Swappa

As far as I can tell #2 and #3 are where a good number of the invites went for the 1+1

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In OnePlus supply issue news

quote:

Dear OnePlus fans,

We never stop looking for new ways to bring the OnePlus 2 to as many of you as possible. So, we’re trying something we’ve never done before: for a very limited time, fans can come to colette Paris to purchase the OnePlus 2!
We’ll be there from 11:00 am until the OnePlus 2 is sold out. It’s a very limited stock sale, so be sure to come early!

quote:

So today, there were more than 200 hundred persons waiting to get theire OPT, and finaly, only 20 units to sell....

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I considered an S5 but so many people on the S5 subreddit were complaining about one thing or another after the lollipop update I figured why bother with that poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Don't know how Google's practices compare to Apple or MS, but my impression is that the developers care more about adding new cool features than fixing boring bugs. This isn't just an impatient customer speaking, there is a Google tech talk with a testing infrastructure guy who said he had to put up a public wall of shame to get developers to fix "medium" and "low" priority bugs otherwise they'd sit there forever

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Typing on my G2 was no where near as convenient or quick as I assumed it would be but then maybe that's because I never got used to thumb typing on my old dumb phones

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I replaced my old Galaxy S3 which my daughter uses for games with a 2nd gen Moto E. Holy crap is that a nice phone for $40, battery life on that is great. Only complaint is that it (and the Moto G which just arrived) comes with some garbage half amp charger with a cord that doesn't come off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I think, for the most part, most modern phones and chargers don't really care about specific cables.

Yeah, I used to splice open my cables to snip the data pins but now I don't even bother. Haven't had any slow charging using any of the 1-2A chargers I've got littered around. Just get cables of appropriate gauge if you are that worried and maybe a decent Anker charger that handles both Apple and everybody else style charging

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 25, 2015