Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would you buy anything but a Nexus?
Because it's loving ridiculously huge and still way overpriced at $549?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

gently caress wireless charging, what else is out there besides the S5 that has a removable battery? Something no greater than 5". Idgaf about anything else as long as it either has 32gb of storage or a card slot. Only phones seem to be out there in a size I'd like are loving low end garbonzo
The LG G3 is really compact for having a 5.5" screen because the bezels are tiny. Anyway, it has a replaceable battery.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Look in the messaging app for a pop-up preview setting you can disable. If it's not there just get a replacement messaging app like you did for your launcher. I use Chomp SMS

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

the nicker posted:

This doesn't really apply to phones. 100% and 0% as your phone reports it are not absolutes, they're the safe upper and lower charge limits of the battery.

He's half right at least. Depth of discharge vs. number of duty cycles is logarithmic for lithium cells. So someone that charges their when it drops to 90% will get a lot more than 10 times the charge cycles than someone who lets it go to 0% every time. So if you're anal and want the longest battery life possible just charge it whenever it's a bit low.

Or just charge it overnight like normal people do

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jacobus Spades posted:

As far as the "not huge" requirement, the LG G4 is undeniably large at 5.5". However, the subtle curve adds some ergonomics that make one-handed use more comfortable and the phone certainly doesn't feel huge to hold and is sturdy and comfortable to hold.
The LG G phones have really small bezels and the screen:body ratio of the G4 is like 73% so it's definitely smaller than say the iPhone 6+ which also has a 5.5" screen but is kind of a whalephone. The G2 and G3 are both much smaller in hand and pocket than the screen size suggests, I imagine the G4 is the same.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone using the ZenFone 2 with 4GB of RAM? Curious how the performance is and whether the Intel processor is much different than an ARM chip.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Color me interested in the 5.7" Huawei nexus as long as it's not idiotically priced like the nexus 6 was.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What is the point of wifi calling, is there anyone actually still on a plan that doesn't have unlimited minutes?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

Yes, it is. It's literally all drawback and no advantage but idiots love SD cards so now you get much slower, much less reliable storage that you'll have to pay for separately and now your removable storage is no longer removable. So much better than it was when things worked.
"Idiots" only love SD cards because hardware manufacturers still loving charge $50-100 for $1.75 worth of onboard NAND storage (32GB). So in summary gently caress phone manufacturers, I'd gladly take a Win7 semi-permanent SD card setup in Android M

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dissss posted:

That's about double the SOT I get on my LG G3.

Seriously considering ditching it and picking up a G instead
I am in the same boat but it turns out the G3 is a champ when running CM12. Plus I don't think I can go back down to a 5" screen from this beautiful 5.5" one.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Skeematic posted:

I asked a couple pages back about the g3 buy it was missed, how do you like it? I'm looking for something that's not expensive current gen to replace my note 2, and its currently 500 Canadian dollars. Worth it?

I've enjoyed the phone a lot but I always either root stock so I can fine tune things, or just run full Cm so ymmv.

The screen is excellent but is definitely a battery hog. Tiny bezels and good design make it a very compact device considering it's packing a 5.5" screen. Build materials are cheap but I use a thin case on mine. The camera is exceptional, even in CM12. I like having an SD card and being able to replace the battery if needed. Battery life is relatively poor on stock but has been quite good on CM.

I think at this point in its life cycle the G3 may not be worth 500 Canadian moon dollars, I assume that's like $400us. At that price point you might take a look at the zenfone 2, OPO, or moto style - or wait for the new nexuses.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Huawei is having a promo where you get $25 off a phone, a free bluetooth speaker, and a month of Net10. In case for some reason you want a P8 instead of a Moto G like every other goon in the thread :china:

http://www.gethuawei.com/offers-promotions/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like the new Note 5 all be around $720.
:lol: good luck with that, Samsung.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The rear end Stooge posted:

Looking to replace my iPhone 5C and I'm considering giving Android a shot, mostly since it seems like I can get a phone of comparable quality to an iPhone for several hundred dollars less off-contract. The main ones I'm looking at are the Moto G, Moto X Pure, and the Alcatel Idol 3 (both 4.7" and 5.5" models). The main thing I'm hesitating about is how quickly I will be able to get OS updates on a given phone. I assume the Moto X Pure, since it runs stock Android, will be able to get software updates as soon as Google releases them; does the same apply to the Moto G even though it has some custom Motorola apps? What about Alcatel? Do they have a good track record when it comes to pushing updates in a timely manner? All of these phones would be purchased unlocked and off-contract, so carrier interference is (I assume) a non-issue.
The midrange Android market is in a good place right now, and all those phones should be good purchases and since they are unlocked at least they won't have the carrier cockblocking any updates. You should also consider the ZenFone 2 and possibly wait for the Nexus announcements in early fall. Updates will ~probably~ be faster on the Moto G/X than the others, but Lenovo, which is a company known for retarded poo poo software installed on their computers, just made a very questionable move regarding Motorola and there's no telling how it will play out.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Not gonna lie that's a cool way to add a keyboard. Not that I'd buy one but it probably will sell better than that loving square phone they made.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Reggie Died posted:

I'm new to Android, so this may or may not be a stupid question.

Have had the S6 for a few months now, and use power-amp as my main music player.

I'm streaming music in my truck via Bluetooth, and place / take a phone call, then get out of the truck while still on the phone. When the phone call ends, my music starts up again over the phone speakers. It can be rather embarrassing depending on the crappy music I have playing at the time.

I have "Pause on Headset Disconnect" checked in power amp settings. Any ideas?

Somtimes it's a quick 2 seconds of audio then it terminates. But often times it just keeps playing into I manually stop it.
I've had some variation of this problem for years on all kinds of devices and firmwares. Now I either pause the music before answering the phone, or while on the call I will swipe down from the top of the screen and pause/close the music app in question from the notification area.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My fiancee's LG G3's battery is not lasting very long anymore. I see it has a replaceable battery, does anyone have a recommended brand or source? There's somebody selling what they claim to be OEM batteries on Amazon, but a bunch of reviews are saying they are counterfeit.
If they aren't in the retail packaging there's a good chance they are knockoffs. They will cost more but get one at a carrier store or something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-LG-G3-BATTERY-Genuine-Original-BL-53YH-VS985-F400-D850-D855-3000mAh-/181731754896

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/21/smasung-push-notification-ads-just-like-htc-and-sony/

Samsung joins HTC and Sony with pushing ads on their users via the notification area.

I just...ugh, my outrage reservoir is just so empty at this point. gently caress them. gently caress them all. Advertising ruins every.loving.thing. and users should not stand for having core services of their device spamming the notification area with promotions.
But see you shouldn't root because

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Endless Mike posted:

Except now you have to educate users that they CANNOT remove their SD card because things will probably break, and instead of fast, reliable NAND built into the device, they get to pay for the device AND cheap, failure-prone SD cards.
Well if the manufacturers would stop marking up NAND by like 50000% and maybe offering the actual amount of storage advertised instead of having slightly more than half of it "usable", maybe this wouldn't be a loving issue, but the truth is people actually want to store poo poo on their phones. :shrug:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Would the new Moto X pure be an upgrade or a sidegrade from an LG G3? Mostly curious about the hardware as I run CM12 on the G3.

Also, my GF has a Moto X and the notification/button bars are pretty much burned into her screen at this point, is this just something to expect on non-OLED screens?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FistEnergy posted:

Oh sweet look at all these new Android thread posts, must be some great or terrible Moto X news or something
Well if that sprint flyer is to be believed, the 32GB version of the X Pure is $399 so that's pretty cool news :3:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It seems like Samsung (and Apple/LG) are about to have a bit of a rude awakening now that 3/4 of the US carriers have stopped subsidizing phones. $600-800+ is a bitter pill to swallow for most people, even if it's done in a payment plan, because there are so many solid performers in the midrange Android market right now. When that $30/month drops off the monthly bill and the phone is theirs, people are going to be significantly less likely to jump straight to the next big thing. Except apple fans I guess because they are inexplicably retarded about mindlessly buying apple things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There's a new kickstarter for an interesting phone that seamlessly moves your apps and data to/from a 100GB cloud drive, based on age and usage. It leaves behind a small thumbnail or placeholder so you can fetch stuff back easily. It seems like a cool idea, has good specs and a nice design aesthetic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextbit/robin-the-smarter-smartphone

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yeah the cloud poo poo will never take off in the US because it's at odds with the way data plans are sold. But with that gimmick aside it's still a very nicely spec'd phone for $350.

However I'm a hugephone and sd card guy so it's not for me!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

codo27 posted:

Seems like a very trivial thing to base a phone around, especially such that what makes it different will garner no attention from the 95% of consumers who know nothing

I agree and I hate the "cloud vs data caps" spot the US wireless market is in. They did, however, hit their month long funding goal in 12 hours so they have some interest. As I said it's still a solid phone for 399 without the cloud gimmick.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

raej posted:

I have an AT&T Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) running the latest AT&T Update (3.4.0-4432708 dpi@SWHD7515 #1 build LRX21T.G900AUCU4BOF3) and I am trying to root it to access some files.

I tried towelroot, but when I click the "make it ra1n" button, I receive an error saying this device is not supported.

Any ideas?
OF3 isn't rootable yet and the phone has a locked bootloader so you're out of luck for now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Moto X Pure is up at Motomaker now.

http://www.motorola.com/us/products/motomaker/FLEXR6

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well I was ready to order the X Pure 32GB but Motomaker wants to charge me $40 in tax despite there being no physical Motorola store in my state. Anyway I guess I'll just wait for the phone to show up on Amazon.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

lowcrabdiet posted:

They are up for preorder but won't ship until the 9th
http://amzn.to/1NZZ9ZG
Thanks! Picked up the 16GB with no tax, free overnight shipping, and it ships a week before Motomaker!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Skeematic posted:

Does the quick charge charger come with a Zenfone 2, or is that a seperate purchase? If separate, whats a solid charger to get?

Semi-related, the only big downside that has prevented me from getting a Zenfone 2 is the bloatware. I know that you can uninstall and disable roughly 50% of it, but does the rest that can be hidden in the app drawer run automatically, and how much of the battery does it usually chomp away at?
The 4GB Zenfone 2 comes with an 18W fast charger, the 2GB does not. As for bloat I'd personally just root and freeze it but that's not a super popular thing to do around here.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Carry your n6 in a stylish fanny pack

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Simple Simon posted:

So recently switched to android from iOS but the main thing that is bugging me right now is the emoji. They look weird as gently caress.
What can one do?
If you're rooted you can use Emoji Switcher to pick from a bunch of different sets for your phone's default.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: both of my moto x orders will arrive tomorrow, one from Moto and one from Amazon. The one from Moto is getting returned because I want that bamboo backing now.
Yeah looks like if you have Prime you get 1 day shipping and the Pure will arrive tomorrow. Just in time too because the CM12 nightlies for my G3 are getting worse and worse for stability. It'll be nice to run a nearly-stock device and not have to root or flash other roms to get rid of bloat.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The rear end Stooge posted:

What is their rationale for the invite system? Why would someone jump through all these bullshit hoops to buy one particular phone when they could get any one of a number of other phones of similar quality for a similar price being sold by normal people?
Seems like a dumb marketing thing. It builds a false sense of excitement and camaraderie - see also the weirdos who camp out in front of the Apple store to buy a phone they produced 300 million of.

My X Pure missed the 8pm UPS window yesterday so it's on the truck again this morning, will post some catte photos/impressions when I can.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 11, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Moto X Pure has been a good phone so far. Very snappy and responsive, beautiful screen, doesn't feel too big, and I like the Moto enhancements for the most part (I don't seem to be able to switch the double twist action so that it launches the Google camera app instead of the Moto one which is annoying). Transferring my stuff via the Motorola Migrate app was painless. Materials, fit and finish are excellent; it's a hefty device but does not feel nearly as huge as my friend's Galaxy Note 4 in hand.

Battery life is pretty mediocre but I like how fast turbo charging is and I frequently top off so I'm not worried about that. The camera seems fine, but I would like OIS. Overall, I am convinced that a better phone cannot be had for $400.

catte

e: the only other photo I've taken is here

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the Moto X Pure, hows the day to day performance? Notice any lagging? That complaint seems to pop up in a couple of reviews I've read.

I was expecting some but so far it's extremely smooth and responsive (using Nova launcher). I do a lot of gaming too and it works fine so far for that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Whizbang posted:

Make cooling fins out of grip tape.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dear goons, stop dropping your phones it is making me sad.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Speaking of Moto Voice, when I'm in the car and it goes into driving mode, should I be talking to my phone via the car's microphone or do I need to have the phone out of my pocket and speak directly to it's mic? Both seem a little unreliable.

Also, please post your hilarious launch phrases, I need to replace "OK Moto X" with something inspired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Now we'll see if Marshmallow comes quickly enough to justify this purchase. Many Bothans died to bring me this Moto X Pure