Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, eBay has piles of like-new Nexus 6p for $330 shipped each, there's no reason in the world that's not a way way better value than the Pixel, right? It even has a bigger screen.

http://ebay.com/itm/172346782269

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My boyfriend broke his Nexus 5 so to hold him over I got him one of those Amazon Blu phone specials, $60 for a perfectly good phone, plays Clash Royale and everything: https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exclusive-Lockscreen/dp/B01H2E0J5M/

The 720p screen is the only slightly cheap spot but it's nice and bright at least. The dual SIM card slot was a nice touch since he travels.

Edit: 4.2 stars out of $2,457 reviews, a couple of the one star reviews say the phone caught fire, but at least it catches fire for $800 less than the competition!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 5, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
If it is anything like the 6p then it also probably shows notifications and time on the screen when you pick it up from your deck or pocket. The notifications are in greyscale and don't seem to impact the battery much.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

That's not good enough for me. I need to see if there's any active notifications from across the room without interacting with the device. Until Google implements periodic 'breathing' of the notifications on screen, an LED will be necessary for me.

Pssh, maybe that will suffice if you don't have any real work to do; my phone communicates over Bluetooth to stop my pacemaker for a second when I need it to get my attention.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

That requires revving up the GPU to render the image and the power to turn on thousands of OLEDs. It's certainly less power than an LCD trying to do that, but significantly more than a simple on/off LED.

I'm not arguing that, just saying it's there and the 6p makes it through the day.

The 6p actually had an LED notification light as well so I'm not sure why all the hullabaloo about the Pixel having it too.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a quick way to flash a Verizon Samsung Edge 7 into a Tmobile one? The phone is unlocked but Verizon has a ton of shitware and it shuts off the data when on a phone call when using the Tmobile SIM.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So coming from the nexus 6 should I go for the 6p or xl pixel? I don't really wanna drop $700+ on a phone but I guess it'll last me a good few years. All I know is that I'm never buying a phone through at&t again. Such a ripoff.

6p in mint condition are $330 on eBay right now, that's the better value.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Google made a prepaid phone service leveraging Tmobile and Sprint. It's $10 each gig of data with unlimited talk/text. I think you can get the phone with a free vr headset if you get it through the Fi service and you're not locked into any commitments.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

withoutclass posted:

It also utilizes US Cellular.

Hmm... now I'm wondering if it would actually have better coverage than Verizon. T-Mobile is amazing in Boston and Sprint is pretty good in the middle of nowhere like Verizon is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose it would be asking too much for Google to just make an MVNO using all the major carriers at once? I'd pay a little extra for Omnicoverage.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Pixel XL is $370 united states dollars more than the 6p and the 6p is basically identical except a slightly slower CPU and slightly bigger (!) screen.

If you offered me either for free I think I'd still take the 6p because I need the extra real estate for Clash Royale. For $370 more there's no good argument for it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

A better camera, lower touch latency, a more manageable size, significantly faster storage, an extra year of support, unlimited photo/video storage, daydream vr support. Better battery life is almost a certainty. Probably the best thing will be fewer quirks due to this being a mass-market device, especially since they're giving 24/7 support directly on the device. Good luck getting your issues fixed in the Google support forums.

I'm butthurt about the Daydream support because Google said 6P was going to be the first Daydream phone and they apparently changed their minds: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/android-vr-os-gets-a-virtual-reality-mode-and-vr-ready-smartphones/

I guess I'm stuck with just my Rift for now...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

While that is true remember the iPhone is just as popular in countries where Apple has limited (or no) retail presence.

There's a lot of bad things about Apple but their store is easily the worst. I want to punch out everyone in the place. I just went a week ago to get equipment for work, they told me my order was ready for pickup and I still had to wait 32 minutes for them to hand me the item.

Edit: I liked them more when all they had was a ghetto in CompUSA instead of some hipster hell.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any phones in existence that can record video in HEVC yet? There was a Samsung NX1 camera that came out in 2014 so I'd have assumed someone would have gotten to it by now..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just because something isn't as good as it seems doesn't mean it's not good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I expect there to be some deal breaking flaw, but I would at least like to know what the flaws are.

The Blu phones are OK, their resolutions aren't super high and the speakers sound like a can-and-string but they are still good for the money. The one I tried had some nice bits like dual-sim capability and included a case and screen protector for $100, that was a nice touch.

Amazon Prime had a deal where you could get a $50 gift card when buying one if you agreed to lock-screen ads (which could easily be removed afterwards) but the offer seems to be gone and they are only offering it for Moto G4 now:

https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=14613304011

Those are well-reviewed unlocked Motorola phones for Blu phone prices, so if you're on a budget I'd spring for one; especially since Amazon is great about returns.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

RZA Encryption posted:

Pay for the ones that aren't subsidized by them? :shrug:

Essentially you just flash the non-subsidized image to the phone: http://www.stechguide.com/remove-amazon-ads-and-bloatware-from-moto-g4/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

If I have a Nexus 6 "shamu" am I supposed to have gotten Nougat by now?

If your go to the Android Beta site and sign up it should instantly OTA nougat to your phone. Then you can remove yourself from the beta.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Ok I just signed up and I got the OTA update notification. The only thing I'm worried about is this

Oh, then uh, don't opt out. I used it to get Nougat on my 6P and it has been perfectly stable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

One Plus 3t announced. Basically, a better processor, bigger battery, and slightly higher price tag.

https://oneplus.net/3t

CPUQualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821
Quad Core, Kryo™: 2x 2.35 GHz, 2x 1.6 GHzGPUAdreno™ 530RAM6GB LPDDR4Storage64GB / 128GB UFS 2.0SensorsFingerprint sensor, Hall sensor,
Accelerometor, Gyroscope,
Proximity sensor,
Ambient light sensor and Electronic Compass
PortsUSB 2.0, Type-C
Dual nano-SIM slot
3.5 mm audio jack
Battery3,400 mAh (non-removable)
Dash Charge (5V, 4A)

So, specced higher than a Pixel XL for $300 less?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

OK, you're a dick. You think it's OK for Google, who many people depend on for their day to day lives, to ban people from their services for reselling a phone that they said can't be resold? They have no right to ban resales in the first place, but our corporatocracy has been wiping their rear end with the first-sale doctrine for a while now.

That would be like selling your city parking pass to a friend, and when the city finds out they just shut off your electricity and water in retaliation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dont be mean to me posted:

First they came for the first-sellers

Seriously, if Google gets away with this, why can't they put something in their ToS that says "If you ever sell your phone to anyone else, we can brick it and ban your Google account". No more pesky second-hand sales eating into their profits! You laugh, but Microsoft pushed for this really hard with Xbox One and nearly got away with it.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have 0 problems with scalpers having their online lives crushed.

Scalping isn't against the law, and in fact there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not ethically retarded. No one is forcing you to pay a scalper. If you don't like it, wake up early to get in line (like they did), or wait until things are restocked.

They might be evading sales tax, and guess what, that's not Google's job to police, it's the IRS. Google doesn't get to cut off access to services because of the way you bought goods. But hey, Google has always been fine with forking all their data over to PRISM. I don't see why everyone is so eager to cheerlead Google's erosion of consumer rights.

Edit: It's 2020, and you got fired from your job because your Google Self-Driving Car wouldn't take you to work, because you called someone a bad word on Google+, clearly violating their ToS.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Source your quotes.

I don't know how it's done in your country but in the good old USA we don't source quotes. Plus I didn't quote anything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Legal is not equal to moral

And two wrongs don't make a right; what's your point?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

No one "forces" you to pay a scalper, but they reduce availability to low-stock items and force you to go through unreliable second-hand sellers to get something in high-demand.

There have been people here in SA who were the first to get a Nexus or Oculus Rift or something similar on pre-order, and realized "hey, these are selling for a lot, I could use the money more than the gadget right now". Some sell them back on SA Mart at-cost because they have buyer's remorse or are just being altruistic. Some mark it up $50 bucks for their trouble. Some head to eBay for a bigger profit. Some flip it right away and some wait a week or a month. Is Google being transparent about how they define a scalper? Maybe they banned 100 accounts and hit one innocent bystander. Is he going to get his day in court? Nope, Google has some Judge Dredd motherfuckers, and they're coming for you one day. Sorry you didn't opt-out of your arbitration clause, now spread your cheeks.

Edit: OK, Google has now reversed their bans, all is right in the world: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98444

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 18, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
This seems like it would be the best place to ask... does anyone know where I could buy a custom-cut tempered glass screen protector? Specifically, I need a bunch of squares, exactly 5x5, or 5x10 inches. I've found a few places that will custom cut plastic screen protectors but not tempered glass. Before I troll Alibaba to find a factory to do it, was there every any kind of smart device that has those dimensions I could maybe find a pre-existing protector for?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I only trust security software that has never put out a CVE, that's how you know they're the best.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

That doesn't exist.

Implicit in your snark is that all CVEs are of the same severity or demonstrate the same sort of development procedures.

I guarantee you that we're not about to get a breakdown of all the Knox CVEs and how they do or do not demonstrate Samsung software development practices.

You're reading in to it too much, I do not actually trust Knox and I laugh at especially awful CVEs like anyone else here.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Only two kinds of security vulnerabilities exist:

1) The kind that I personally will get in trouble at work for not pretending to be dealing with.

2) The ones I don't give a poo poo about.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So, Samsung Galaxy S8 is the first phone with Bluetooth 5 in it, which is supposed to double the range. This is pretty important for me, because I've had like 10 different models of LG Tone headsets and they all cut out on me. Phone is in my front pants pocket and headset is on my neck.

My question is, wouldn't both the phone and the headset need to support BT 5 to get the range benefit? And are there any BT 5 headsets in existence yet, or announced?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sounds like you're just buying garbage devices. You shouldn't need Bluetooth 5 to get from your pockets to your head.

You'd think that, but I guess it's actually super-hard for Bluetooth to punch through water. If I'm on a bicycle (which I am for at least an hour each day), it'll cut out every time I stop with my foot on that pedal resting in the higher position.

I mean it's done this to me for years for many different models of phones and headsets... I think it's just a physics thing so I'm hoping BT5 might give it the extra oomph.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

comper posted:

Willing to trust LG's manufacturing process if this rumor is true regarding one of the new Pixels?

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/12/lg-manufacturing-taimen-pixel-xl/amp/

The Nexus 4/5 were great phones, I don't care what anyone says. Though if this one has double the sticker price they need to bump up the build quality accordingly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Explains why Google is ditching HTC. Of course they only sell a million when it's never in stock.

The LG Nexus 4 was impossible to get at launch too. I camped the order page and got 6 the moment they went up for sale and made gazillions flipping them on eBay.

Edit: too bad we're probably never going back to that amazing price-point, though

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

You're a bad person and poo poo like that is why normal people can't obtain them hth

Rich people in the United Arab Emirates are also normal people who wanted them... am I bad because they bid them up over $1000 each?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

Mine doesn't need to call me, thus they don't need to supply me a phone.

loving lol if you're a corporate slave chained to your job 24/7

I mean, they don't need to call me which is all the more reason I had them give me one. I only tell smart people the number so I get calls once or twice a year for actual emergencies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Galaxy S8 has Bluetooth 5.0 which has twice the range a s 4.0, but no 5.0 headsets exist yet to take advantage of it...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't care about range. I want a more solid connection when it's within 3 feet. Sometimes the connection gets fuzzy when my phone is in my backpack. I don't know why they keep harping on about it working from a block away when nobody loving uses bluetooth like that.

Yes, it cuts out for me in my pocket but that's all the phones I've had, not just Pixel.

The extended range, I assume, includes how much of your own fatbody it can penetrate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

In the city, Bluetooth headphones tend to be pretty flaky. Traffic lights, of all things, seem to cause interference

Hmm, for me it's always when I'm biking and have the leg with the phone in it propped up on the pedal at a red light... you might be on to something because it could be a combination of my body blocking it plus traffic lights.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

there is no universe in which you should spend that kind of money and not get an iPhone

I know that's controversial to this thread but then again, the thread hates sarnsung so

If it has a 4K screen for Gear VR then I'll buy it... with my company's money.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

The back of the Note 8 looks weird, that fingerprint scanner location looks awkward as gently caress, worse than the S8. Apparently Samsung gave up on the under-the-screen scanner.

Looks like some fake-rear end renders to me? What's the source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ola posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidrocker.callblocker

Call Blocker. Put in whitelist mode. Don't put anything in the whitelist.

Wouldn't that block the Google Voice calls as well though?