Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have an LG G3 on AT&T and I never received the last OTA update. I know it didn't really do much, but I'm curious as to how OTA updates work and why I wouldn't receive one? I also checked using LG PC Suite and it says I'm up to date as well, but my software version is still D85010d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the G5 a bust? I'm on AT&T and in need of a phone in a hurry, and I can't afford to buy a 6P outright at the moment. I loved my G3 but something went catastrophically wrong and it melted while charging. I suppose I could cheap out and get a G4 with a shorter Next plan so that I could upgrade again sooner since there seems to be a dearth of good Android phones on AT&T right now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ilkhan posted:

What's so wrong with a 5X that you outright ignore it?

Nothing at all besides the fact that the only Nexus listed on the AT&T website is a web-only refurbished Nexus 6. Maybe the store stock is different and I'm just pissing in the wind trying to shop on their website.

RVProfootballer posted:

G5 definitely isn't worth retail price. G4 for the price is probably better, but no reason to stick with LG. Moto X Pure or Nexus 5X or Nexus 6 should all be slightly cheaper options.

I'll keep an eye out for these when I'm at the store this afternoon.

The last time I was shopping for a phone this thread was super anti-Samsung, and some of that sentiment seems to have dried up and I am seeing the S7 recommended now. I'm not averse to this being my real upgrade, I was really only defaulting to the G4 because it looked like my options for top-of-the-line were the S7 and G5 and not much else.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
As tempting as that as, and as much as I wish I could avoid the carrier bullshit, I unfortunately need a phone I can walk out of the AT&T store with in hand. The 6P looks great but I don't have the luxury of even waiting for shipping at this point.

It's annoying because this is the first time I've ever had a phone break before I was able to secure a replacement.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RZA Encryption posted:

"My cellphone melted while I was charging it, so naturally I'm going to replace it with something from the same manufacturer."

Point taken, but in the interest of full disclosure the truth is even dumber because the charger that melted it was a completely unbranded one I found lying on the floor of a classroom at the university where I work. Truly the ivory tower of academia is for our own protection.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Did Google do something to Google Keyboard to turn gesture typing into a giant piece of poo poo? I never had any trouble before the most recent update.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wrist Watch posted:

I lost my original response, going to imgur to upload this kicked the awful app out of memory, but yeah.

There's other weird poo poo too, like a dedicated num row above the keyboard but only on some fields for some reason, or how they added in being able to delete suggestions but took out swiping up to expand them.

baka kaba posted:

It's been really flaky for me, like sometimes starting a word from the top row or the left side just outright ignores the gesture or acts like I lifted my finger. Other times (like right now) it's completely fine and butter

I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the keyboard mode, like if the number row is present or not. Or maybe it's more sensitive to demanding apps slowing it down. Who knows, but when it's bad it's bad

Yeah, both of these things match my experience. I'd just go back to typing with my thumbs like a normal person but the habit is hard to break and earlier the phone replaced "lunch" with the word "Lindy."

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Ferret King posted:

Been going strong with my SCOSCHE USBC242M chargers in my cars for a few years, but we've switched to S7s and I was wondering what the best option would be to get a Fast-Charge 2.0 capable adapter/cable. SCOSCHE doesn't appear to make a compatible one, which is a bummer, because I've really liked these chargers so far.

They still do O-K with regards to charging, but it's noticeably slower than the Samsung-supplied fast charger.

I've had good luck with AUKEY chargers. I just use the one-port one but I usually see people here recommend this one:https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-CC-T8-...harge+3.0&psc=1

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Twerk from Home posted:

What did LG give you as a warranty replacement? My post-Nexus 5X life has been a couple of miserable months trying to use the LG G5 they sent me, followed by selling it in anger and buying a Moto G5+ which has been a pretty excellent phone. LG G5 bad, Moto G5 good.

I'm having a different but similar experience, I'm not quite ready to buy a new phone yet but I smashed my LG G5 when it fell out of my pocket and Asurion sent me a Galaxy S6 instead because I guess the LG G5 was so unpopular that they don't have any to refurb. I know complaining about the differences between two ancient phones is kind of silly but why the gently caress is the back button on the right? Why does it have capacitive buttons? Why is the fingerprint reader so lovely compared to the G5's? Why is the battery gone by 3pm?

The screen on the Samsung is definitely nicer looking than my G5's was though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Twerk from Home posted:

Ouch. That really blows. They gave you a refurb phone that probably already has a worn battery, so that's why the battery life sucks. Did you complain?

That actually hadn't occurred to me because one of the common complaints about the s6 at release was its lovely battery life, and I am on it a fair amount during the day. I wonder if a worn battery is the problem.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

pissdude posted:

the video/music/file will keep playing on my TV but just the app player controls just stop doing anything. I have to either hard close the app or reconnect to the chromecast twice to get the controls to re-engage again.

I have this off and on with a Galaxy S6 and a Chromecast Ultra, most often in Netflix and Youtube. I don't think I've ever had it happen in Plex but I could be misremembering. It seemed to happen less on my first Chromecast 1, so it could be an issue with 5ghz wifi on the Ultra in my case?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Khablam posted:

Is this where you talk about soundstage?
Basically all modern DACs test to within a hair's width of each other. Even those cheap little USB-C dongles, which are a DAC, test close to the "best".

But the warmth...

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Got my shipping notice for the P3xl. Arrives Monday. I'm such a freak cheapass for spending $1,200 (tax plus extended CARE) on a phone, but oh no, can't spend anything more for upgrade from standard shipping.

Just out of curiosity, what was your shipping estimate on your order? Mine was estimated 19-22 and I'm guessing it ain't gonna be 19 since I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I ordered mine as soon as the preorders opened and it hasn't shipped yet :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Folks that already got their Pixel-- did you have to sign for the delivery? If I'm not home my landlord will sign for it but the office closes super early so I need to know if I should make arrangements.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks for all the signature stuff! I'll look on the tracking when I get a chance, it was just going to piss me off if I missed it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a way in Pie to get the notification dot on, say, Gmail without having actual notifications appear in the bar?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LastInLine posted:

Does reducing the priority to whatever it is that doesn't have the icon and turning on the dot not do that? I don't use dots so I don't know offhand but I don't see why it wouldn't unless you need a certain priority threshold to have a dot.

It appears that the behavior is, "no notification in bar=no notification dot" but I might also be an idiot.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LastInLine posted:

I just tried it and it works fine. Set the importance to minimum (GMail notifications, account you care about, tap the word "Mail", Behavior > Show Silently and Minimize) and under Advanced in that same screen select "Show notification dot".

Thanks, this worked fine this time. Not sure what I did won't before, I could swear this is what I tried and it didn't work. Maybe the dot was just being finicky that one particular time.

Has anyone tried their Pixel 3 with a non-Google fast charger and had it not fast charge? My QC3 Anker charger won't quick charge mine.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlepixel/comments/9pukwm/_/

Those who buy the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL are forced into an arbitration agreement.

Basically, if you buy the new phones, you lose your right to sue Google if something goes tits up. It's located in the thicker white manual included with the phones.

http://imgur.com/a/SA4ovsi

This apparently is something Samsung does with the Galaxy phones, putting it in the box and not telling the consumer before buying.

The only ways to opt out from this on the new Pixels is to either return the device within 30 days of activation OR go to g.co/Pixel/optout within the 30 days of activation.

This is just for the Pixel 3s and is probably something Google will do for devices going forward.

Is there any reason not to opt out of this?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Will I hurt my Pixel 3's battery by using a QC3 charger on it? It's one of the 2-port Anker wall chargers that has the separate qc3 and "IQ" USB-A ports. I don't really care about fast charging, I just don't want to accidentally roast the battery prematurely.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bull3964 posted:

It will be fine provided you are using an A-C cable that was made correctly.

Cool, all my cables are Monoprice so it'll probably be okay. I usually am not someone who babies my phone's battery, I just didn't want to find out I was slowly murdering my battery by using the chargers I already have.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

LastInLine posted:

After you've added a hinge mechanism, hardware for two screens, and the battery to drive them I would hope your next project would be to develop pockets large enough to hold such a monstrosity.

This technology has existed since the early 2000s.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm not sure if this is the same problem but someone on another forum mentioned that post-November update their Pixel 3 has been waiting until they were OFF wifi to download updates which is uhhhhh

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody got the US free $50 yet? It would make sense to not give it out before Black Friday but I was kind of hoping I could drop it on a stand or something.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Ah ok thats what I thought. My screen on my pixel 3 is still randomly flashing white when I go to unlock it :( . I like everything else about the phone but man..my eyes... especially when it happens at night. Might wait a little bit longer to see if there's a software fix.

This happens to me like once every 3 or so days when the active display comes back when I take my phone out of my pocket. It hasn't happened to me in the dark yet so it hasn't been a huge problem, but it does startle the poo poo out of me every time it happens.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My first Android phone was an HTC Inspire and I talked myself into liking it because I was being obstinate about Apple (folly of youth), but it was a complete piece of poo poo. I saw a screenshot of one the other day and had a visceral reaction to that unlock ring you had to pull up.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is anyone having trouble with their Pixel 3 and the Pixel Stand not fast charging? Mine will start out saying "charging rapidly" and then change to "slowly" after an indeterminate amount of time. Maybe it's throttling down due to heat because of the fabric case?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Plex will do this but a music-only solution might exist that's better. I use Plex in my house for it all the time though.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Isn't "little swipe up" basically the old functionality? I'm not in love with the gestures but I never use the "swipe right and hold," I just swipe up

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah mine's super inconsistent. It basically detects what I want it to do and then does the opposite no matter what.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My Pixel 3 will get random white flashes when the screeen wakes up every now and then. Rumor is that its something with LG screens on the pixel 3 but... who knows. Theres an open issue tracker here https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/119210591

200+ people have starred the issue. I don't think Google has acknowledged its an actual problem yet. Just something to keep in mind for CascadeBeta if he does end up looking at getting a 3.

I have this once every two weeks or so but it's usually in the middle of the night in a pitch dark room and burns out my retinas

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I only sent the picture of the cereal, but this is what my wife got

I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but I did not intend to send the nude.

Holy poo poo this gave me an anxiety attack

Edit: M A J E S T I C

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Just putting the different menus at the bottom is way better for me than the hamburger menu on the left was. Something always felt disconnected to me in Pocket Casts between the "Discover" area and the "My Stuff" area and this feels more cohesive somehow.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Fingerprint sensor belongs on the back because that's where my fingers are dammit

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Apparently the Pixel screen flash issue is on the list of fixes for the April patch. I kind of forgot it was a thing because it only happens to me like once or twice a month on my Pixel 3 but the article spends several paragraphs dragging Google for not fixing this Terrible Offense Against God sooner.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What article?

Oh yeah, the Android Q beta fixed that issue for me on my Pixel 3 regular.

Here's the article, although I don't know why you'd want to read it: https://www.techspot.com/news/79417-google-deplorable-handling-pixel-3-screen-flash-issue.html

I guess it's sort of a valid complaint that Google has kept mum about it but it hardly seems like a problem worth getting this worked up about?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I feel stupid but what's wrong with the new app switcher? I rarely use the swipe right and hold to scroll, i just do a lil swipe up and it's the same old card switching. I'm not on the beta though so ignore me if that has a new switcher!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Man, I love my Pixel 3 but Gorilla Glass 5 (if that's the current one?) is the scratching-est loving screen material I have ever seen in my life. I have never had a phone screen pick up scratches of any kind unless I butterfingered the thing into the concrete or something, but my Pixel 3 already has a bunch of scratches just from going in and out of an empty pocket. I never even put the thing facedown on a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you have a pocket full of sand or something? Wtf

The pocket sand goes in the other pocket, my phone pocket is the one I pull my middle finger out of when I'm savagely owning someone