Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dilber posted:

My s7 edge has become completely unusable, which is why I'm getting out of the Samsung ecosystem. The phone is only 1.5 years old or so because I had to file an insurance claim on the original after the glass cracked from a fall from calf height in the official samsung case.

My google maps takes around 15 minutes to be able to go from opening it, to it starting to display directions. It'll also randomly crash, so I'll have random 15 minute intervals with no directions.

It lags, my battery is just above half health (under 2000 MaH), and it drains so fast regardless of use. My phone sometimes just doesn't save the pictures I've taken.
It'll show up in the icon on the gallery, but if you open the gallery it's just not there. I've factory reset multiple times, and nothing fixes it.

I'm really looking forward to stock Android, which is why I ordered the P3XL.

As someone that went from the Samsung ecosystem to the Pixel one you will be pleasantly surprised with performance over time. My Pixel XL is still ticking just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

vyst posted:

As someone that went from the Samsung ecosystem to the Pixel one you will be pleasantly surprised with performance over time. My Pixel XL is still ticking just fine.

I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be so nice to not need to carry a battery pack with me everywhere I go so my phone doesn't die every 2 hours.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

grack posted:

Edit: Speaking of the Mate 20, apparently you can use it to wirelessly charge other Qi-enabled devices, with a feature called "Reverse Wireless Charging". That's also kind of weird.

In our bleak bluetooth earbud future, this is actually pretty cool and something other non-spyware phones should adopt.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dilber posted:

I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be so nice to not need to carry a battery pack with me everywhere I go so my phone doesn't die every 2 hours.

Just remember that the performance and lifetime of the phone isn't just up to the manufacturer, it's up to you too. Don't install apps that are known hogs (facebook, snapchat, imgur) and try to stick to things created by competent developers whenever you can. Installing random apps off the store is very likely to crater your battery life, your performance, and the overall lifetime of your phone.

Google is taking a lot of good steps to stamp out bad (or incompetent) actors on the store, but there's a loooooooonnng way to go so vigilance on the part of the user is still very much required.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's neat, especially for accessories, but at the same time kinda useless because are you just not going to use your phone at all while it charges your earbuds?

USB-C PD already allows for bidirectional power transfer, it seems like it would be more useful to charge accessories with a cable from the phone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You could also (theoretically) use it to charge other phones, like iPhones. The 20 Pro comes with a 4200 mAh battery. There are also 5 different versions of the Mate 20 (WTF Huawei)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

there should be 20 versions. false advertising imo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Mental Hospitality posted:

I don't think any of the new Mate20's are coming to the U.S. which kind of sucks, I actually like the look of the regular non-Pro model.

They also released the Mate20X which is just stupid big. Here it is next to a Pixel 2XL. :lol:

I like huge phones, but this is just absurd

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

grack posted:

You could also (theoretically) use it to charge other phones, like iPhones. The 20 Pro comes with a 4200 mAh battery. There are also 5 different versions of the Mate 20 (WTF Huawei)

So Huawei is the new HTC ala 2010-2011 era.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Now I want to see a size comparison to a Nexus 7

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Taffer posted:

Just remember that the performance and lifetime of the phone isn't just up to the manufacturer, it's up to you too. Don't install apps that are known hogs (facebook, snapchat, imgur) and try to stick to things created by competent developers whenever you can. Installing random apps off the store is very likely to crater your battery life, your performance, and the overall lifetime of your phone.

Google is taking a lot of good steps to stamp out bad (or incompetent) actors on the store, but there's a loooooooonnng way to go so vigilance on the part of the user is still very much required.

Yeah I got my Pixel 1 in like April 2017 and my battery health is around 59%. I can unplug my phone at 100% and by the time I sit down to drink my morning coffee about 3 minutes later it's at 90%. My guess this was largely part to me installing Snapchat (no Facebook tho) and a bunch of random apps, and not using approved USB-C cables/bricks which ultimately cooked my battery. Gonna try to play it straight with my P3 XL.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I have a Moto G5+ and it's doing some weird battery junk.

More or less - while the battery is pretty much discharging properly, the phone gets convinced it's at 100% after just a few minutes of charging. It seems to keep charging anyways until the battery hits capacity, but the real percentage isn't shown.

If I take it off charging, the phone rapidly discharges to where its real charge level should be and then kind of stabilizes.

Is there a way to reset or recalibrate this nonsense?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Now I want to see a size comparison to a Nexus 7

Yeah, I was going to say it would make a nice N7 replacement. However, that huge size and no bezels is a usability nightmare.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Taffer posted:

I don't though. My battery life didn't crater until Oreo. I factory reset after that as well, and kept off battery hogs. I use accubattery to stay on top of battery drain as well.

Same thing happened to my parents, both of whom have barely added any apps to the phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Will the Pixel 3s allow you to install a third party launcher and get back the navigation buttons at the bottom like in the Pixel 2? I'm really not fond of gestures to replace the three buttons.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Will the Pixel 3s allow you to install a third party launcher and get back the navigation buttons at the bottom like in the Pixel 2? I'm really not fond of gestures to replace the three buttons.

any phone should, sure

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

any phone should, sure

I didn't know if nav buttons are part of the launcher API or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Launchers aren't restricted, but they also don't affect the navigation of the phone. That's outside their functionality.

So, gesture nav only for the P3 unless Google changes their mind.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Got my shipping notice for the P3xl. Arrives Monday. I'm such a freak cheapass for spending $1,200 (tax plus extended CARE) on a phone, but oh no, can't spend anything more for upgrade from standard shipping.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

Launchers aren't restricted, but they also don't affect the navigation of the phone. That's outside their functionality.

Going by Google's track record, they'll make a half-assed attempt to push gesture nav and then abandon it in a year for something even stupider. By this time next year, the only way to navigate on a Pixel will be to use voice commands or hit it against a hard surface.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You could install something like this and overlay the gesture area, just disable autohide and outside touch hide. It should still work because it uses accessibility I think

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

So... Buttons won't be available in the likes of Nova?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So... Buttons won't be available in the likes of Nova?

Navigation buttons are not something done by the launcher, it's the system UI. You'd have to root if you want to get rid of gesture nav on the Pixel 3.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Got my shipping notice for the P3xl. Arrives Monday. I'm such a freak cheapass for spending $1,200 (tax plus extended CARE) on a phone, but oh no, can't spend anything more for upgrade from standard shipping.

Just out of curiosity, what was your shipping estimate on your order? Mine was estimated 19-22 and I'm guessing it ain't gonna be 19 since I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of folks with Oct 22-23 delivery estimates are getting theirs shipped today. Wouldn't be surprised to see mine pop up.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

RichterIX posted:

Just out of curiosity, what was your shipping estimate on your order? Mine was estimated 19-22 and I'm guessing it ain't gonna be 19 since I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet.

Mine is shipping from Illinois to California with an arrival date of 10/22. Got the notice this morning. Considering I can drive to their headquarters in 15 minutes I was hoping standard shipping would be faster than that. Oh well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Navigation buttons are not something done by the launcher, it's the system UI. You'd have to root if you want to get rid of gesture nav on the Pixel 3.

Ah, but I could still get nav buttons and ignore the gestures?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

I got a shipping notice for my stand, but not my phone.

It'll be real nice to look at and imagine I have a phone.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

RichterIX posted:

I think it was originally on the 19th with arrival around the 24th. It updated with today's date as shipped. Fed ex ground from IL to CA for Monday.

E: I'd appreciate any case plus glass protector recommendations. I saw Spigen mentioned before, but I haven't bought a case in almost 4 years. I prefer function (protection) over form (looks) so I don't know which Spigen model fits the bill.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 16, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mine is arriving with its stand on Thursday, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No. You get the wide pill and the sometimes back button with swipe up for multitasking no matter what you install on the phone.

Since I had content beyond this statement, woo for just getting my shipping notification and I'll actually have it by Friday at the latest, original estimate was 22-23.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No. You get the wide pill and the sometimes back button with swipe up for multitasking no matter what you install on the phone.

Since I had content beyond this statement, woo for just getting my shipping notification and I'll actually have it by Friday at the latest, original estimate was 22-23.

Unless you go full dumb and unlock the bootloader and install some custom ROM. The gestures are fine, though, not great but fine, just give them a shot for a bit if you have an older Pixel before you decide they're a deal breaker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I wasn't hot in them but bit the bullet the first time it was mentioned they would be mandatory for the P3 and I got used to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I wasn't hot in them but bit the bullet the first time it was mentioned they would be mandatory for the P3 and I got used to it.

Same. I'm used to them, but I do think they were a step backwards. The Quick Switch gesture is basically unusable for me. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes it jumps back six apps. So I just got used to swiping up and tapping the previous app's card and now I pretend that gesture doesn't exist. Annoying at first? Oh, yeah. Can I navigate my phone just as quickly as the old setup? Also yeah.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just hate the asymmetry of the back button when there's an obvious gesture to replace it.

I also miss the kinetic flick to open the app drawer.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

I just hate the asymmetry of the back button when there's an obvious gesture to replace it.

I also miss the kinetic flick to open the app drawer.

But it only appears when it'd do something, correct?

I hope it's the start of removing/standardizing the back button like they did the menu button.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

But it only appears when it'd do something, correct?

I mean, this is Android. The only time the back button won't do something is the home screen.

Whether or not it's doing the expected thing is a whole other matter entirely.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Mate 20x is a 7.2 inch phone with a 5000mah battery. It would make a nice replacement for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S (the OG 8.4 inch one) but it's gonna cost like 1400 or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

No. You will adjust to them very fast, it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

incogneato posted:

As others have noted, Pixels don't have SD card capabilities. I apologize for what is probably a very stupid question, but just in case: you're sure you're using a Pixel and not a different make of phone?
LOL sorry I meant SIM card, which has its own storage.