Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

As a developer, every time I hear this I weep.

Yes it would be complicated.

Ideally you'd be able to tweak a theme value though, since Material has the whole palette and hinting thing going on, so it's not actually that out there if they stuck an API on it.

Of course in reality it's a rat's nest of themes and references and compatibility libraries, but hey the world can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RZA Encryption posted:

But why would they? What do they have to gain?
You want them to put extra man hours into a feature that only the worst humans will use. More code is more place for something to go wrong and more poo poo to maintain. How is that a win on their part?
On top of all that, they have a team of marketers that actually do care that gmail is represented with "gmail red". Can you imagine some nerdass showing off his custom scheme with black and purple and chiller font and dragonforce as his inbox background? Is that how you would want your product presented?

I don't want them to? I don't particularly care! I'm just saying Material Design's theming is built around 'branding' colours, and automated APIs to spin off the related palettes, so it's not that far away from developers being able to put a 'change colour' option in their app if they want to. The reality is always horribly complicated and full of caveats, but the functionality is kinda working its way in

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Present posted:

Why is Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular? I'm not a cellphone expert by any stretch of imagination and the only Samsung device I've owned is a Galaxy Nexus that I'm writing this very post on.

And this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks. Is this a regular Samsung phone experience then?

You probably got one of the bad flash storage batch of Gnexes. Enjoy the remainder of your time together!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just tried it and I'm not sure you can force a language, I think it's meant to auto-detect. I tried saying jag har jordgubbarna and it sometimes works, but my accent is bad so it likes changing it to stuff about YouTube. If I start talking in Spanish it does better (I guess that means I do better :shobon:)

You might be able to give it a hint by selecting a language, but that's a complete guess! It's the same behaviour in the Awful app too, so it seems like system-wide behaviour? Better get badass at them pronunciations!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I don't really get why there's a dropdown if you can't select anything, but hey. Swedish is new on Duo though (you probably knew that) so hopefully they'll add the talking later

:pcgaming:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 27, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it shows up for everyone in play movies eventually I think

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kidney Stone posted:

At the moment, I've got Shaun the Sheep for free...

Yeah I got that a while back when they first started giving away Gravity, just in case it was blocking the offer. Even when I said I didn't want it it kept coming back, so I figured I needed to bite the bullet on this one

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

So I've had my N6 for about a month and a half now and I still love it. But I have some questions for people more knowledgeable about phones than I am.

1. The camera is really slow. This makes taking pictures of pets almost impossible. Do you guys think this is a hardware or software issue? Do you think there will be a fix for it? Is anyone else having this issue?

The camera API got completely updated, with a much faster processing engine that should make the whole thing much more reactive and capable, as well as allowing for some HDR bracketing magic. But I heard about that a few months ago, as far as I know it's not in any official camera app yet. One of the third-party apps is supposed to have updated to use at least some of the stuff, I don't know if it's faster though

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like it's got bad NAND.

In my inexpert opinion, yep. If you can't even do basic setup without it panicking then it's, to use the the technical lingo, pretty hosed

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Michaellaneous posted:

Just out of technical interest, is it possible to check the integrity of the NAND flash with ADB?

I don't know about specifically checking the NAND, but that's how I worked out my GNex was officially toast

I forget the specifics but you can run adb shell when you're in... recovery I think? And from there you can run fsck on every partition - I'm not super familiar with it so I don't know all the testing options you can try, but mine threw up a bunch of journalling errors and couldn't restore any superblocks, and when I tried to do it manually with every superblock copy none of them would work. If you know what the hell I'm talking about!

e- you should just get it replaced though y'know

LastInLine posted:

ADB requires you to be into Android, I would imagine that would have to be done in fastboot and Samsung phones lack fastboot as far as I know.

If you're in fastboot you can only connect with the fastboot utility (as opposed to adb) as far as I know, but you can get into adb from the recovery menu if you install the usb driver while it's in that mode. Not saying that will help (and I obviously don't remember much about this pain in the rear end) but it's not a fastboot thing, at least

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 31, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I'll never remember that ADB works in recovery. I swear I've forgotten that a hundred times.

Yeah it's the only way I could do anything. I can't write to the thing at all, and booting into Android makes it almost instantly reset when it tries to do something or other. Can't even wipe it, it's preserved for future generations. It belongs in a museum!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Variable_H posted:

Your Cell Phone is a Piece of poo poo

The king is dead, long live the king!

Tell you what though, I was spoiled by them OLED blacks and viewing angles. The Nexus 5 has a nice screen and all, but.......

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Require More Fire posted:

My big gripe about Google Photos backups is that there's no dedicated place to go and see just photos that you had backed-up, nor is there a way to bulk download just those photos. When you go on the web you get your backup stuff plus any dumb thing you've ever posted to G+/Hangouts.

Dunno about bulk downloads, but if you go to your pics and click in the search box you get an Auto Backup category

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

Oh. Nice.

Certainly not where I'd think to look for that, but oh well...

I only just found it :v: I was hoping there'd be some Gmail-style filter hints if I started typing 'from:' or something, but there it was

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RVProfootballer posted:

I've had lollipop preview then release on my primary communication device since, what, June? It owns

Design decisions like the notification volume/popup control aside, ownage confirmed

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't mean to bring up old arguments up again but what exactly is the problem with the sound controls? I moved from the Moto X 2013 and it seems about the same. I think Samsung had the best controls with the volume rocker bringing up that little gear option that allows you to adjust individual volumes for notifications, ringers, and more importantly media. I was disappointed that was a touchwiz thing when I moved to the Moto X

You can't shut up notifications without stopping what you're listening to, or even exiting the app in some cases

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bull3964 posted:

It also makes it impossible to easily cycle from Vibrate to Silent with disabling your notifications completely.

Yeah it's the absolute worst design decision, it's actually frustrating at times. The control in the power menu was Good and they removed it for reasons.

And there needs to be a way to hide heads-up notifications too (if I'm watching a video I don't want popups) but that's more of an annoyance, having your sound constantly interrupted by PINGs and volume ducking with no easy way to stop it is way worse

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Is it formatted? Does it look ok on compooter?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ Have you tried not using the 'battery saver' software? That stuff basically fights the OS, and could end up keeping it awake

monster on a stick posted:

If you use Waze, it's pretty easy to set it up for British voices and it always works. You have to download the voices but since it's app-specific it always works.

Keep an eye out for the rozzers in the lay-by mate

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Krispy Kareem posted:

What sucks is that battery life was terrible out of the box. I've heard that updating to 4.4 (which I did immediately) might cause an issue. So I never had a good battery experience to contrast the horrible results I've been getting for 3 months.

Did you put that BORN MOBILE app throttling whatsit on from the beginning? The way you get good battery life is by having the phone in deep sleep when you're not using it, doing all necessary network activity in one go etc, and the OS has a bunch of functionality to schedule this and avoid the phone burning more juice than is necessary. That's the idea anyway

Installing an app that runs on top of the OS and pokes around at poo poo is probably not going to help. You might be basically adding chipset OEM bloatware here, by choice!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Does it do smile detection though? I mean that's a thing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I'm not disputing the utility of a spoken command for the shutter, I'm questioning the reasoning behind choosing that one.

"Smile!"
Everyone smiles
Camera takes pic

C'mon it's not that hard to understand!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

SwissCM posted:

"Smile!"
Camera takes picture of horrific car accident

At least it's not Google Glass

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's a hot potato all right

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

This is literally what happens any time you're around old people, like exactly.

"Oh! Are we taking a picture?" *Starts shifting position in order to capture their "good side"*

"WHERE'S THE CAMERA?"

"That is a camera, Grandma..."

"IT LOOKS LIKE A PHONE..."

On and on for what seems like an eternity. Maybe it's just my family but the delay after saying that codeword better be ten minutes.

This is exactly why it's a good idea though. You can set the camera down or hold it or whatever, get everyone ready, say "everyone ready?" And they go 'yeah' and you go 'ok, smile!' And the camera helpfully kicks in a moment later

You're saying this is better
You: ok everyone ready?
Family: yeah!
You: ok, smile!
:D :D :D :D
You: Ok S-Camera, Activate!
Grandma: Samma whatsit???
:D :D :jeb: :ohdear:

I mean this is maybe the only genuinely smart idea I've heard from Samsung on their voice-activated crap ("I would like to take a picture!" to open the camera, gently caress me), it's a completely natural and unintrusive way of taking a photo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Anyone getting weird charging rates on the Pops? My N5 has been showing some wacky times, like 4hrs remaining at 50%, not charging at all if I'm using it (at minimum brightness). Today it was at 85% left idle, said 1 hour remaining, I turned it off for 20 mins and it was at 100% when I turned it back on.

I'd understand if there were some app causing massive power drain while the phone's on but there isn't, idle drain is basically nothing and it's normal when I use it too. It just doesn't want to charge! There's a bunch of people seeing this too, some only on wired or wireless charging, only while the phone is on. Bizarre

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

robodex posted:

Yeah I've noticed this, a few times I've looked at my battery meter and have seen jumps on the graph even though it wasn't plugged in :shrug:

Nah it's not that, it behaves completely normally except it charges incredibly slowly. It's like it thinks it's plugged into half a USB port or something. The drain while using it or idle is what you'd expect - it just doesn't suck in the juice unless you turn it off, and then it charges at the usual 1% every 90 seconds or whatever

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Not yet, it's the one that came with the phone - but it's fine when it's off, and it was fine before! And there's a bunch of other people on the internets complaining about seeing it since updating, I smell a mystery

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

That sucks man - can you get into recovery or anything?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

teagone posted:

I'm using the stock launcher, lol.

Phones don't let you do that on stock, it's a design choice.

Although now phones are basically hitting tablet size, maybe it's only a matter of time!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

However, my wife talked me into getting a nice camera (Sony a5100 if you care) and I took it on vacation with us this month. I still feel the same, except for one thing. A nice camera makes it easier to get a good enough picture in a wider variety of circumstances...like low light and fast motion.

I don't use enough devices to know if going from a mediocre camera like my 2013 Moto X to a really nice phone camera is enough of an improvement to negate those advantages. I mean, I can't imagine an iPhone or Note 4 camera is as good as a nice real camera in these difficult situations, but maybe they're good enough.

That's what I've always said - it's not about getting prosumer-quality shots with your phone, it's about being able to just whip it out whenever and wherever, hit the button and get a decent shot without worrying about it. And low light/action situations are exactly the kind of time you'll think 'I wouldn't mind a pic of this' and reach for the camera you always have with you, not the proper one that's at home because you weren't hauling gear around for a photo session.

Newer phones with 'great cameras' seem pretty good at taking indoor shots that aren't blurry with motion, night shots with sharp detail, and pics from parties and restaurants that look natural and vibrant instead of dark or flashlit like you're mounting a SWAT raid. That's the kind of improvement I want to see, making them all-round solid performers instead of worrying about how sharp a perfectly lit scene looks at 100% zoom

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Android but rusted

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You know if any of you want to poke around with the memory stats, there's an option in Developer Options called Process Stats that will let you look at memory usages for all your foreground and background apps. If you tap the bar showing your current memory use it'll break it down into the various memory states, Low and Critical are where things start getting hardcore kicked out of memory

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Worth pointing out that Project Volta stuff is mainly about improving idle battery life - it'll help a bit when you're using the phone too (helping it be a bit smarter about hitting the radios and stuff) but it can't do much about the screen sucking down all the juice

e-

robodex posted:

Dumb question but have you tried another charger? I had the exact same issue until I realized it was just the cable I was using.

From a while back but it wasn't a dumb question, I'm the dumbass because I finally tried another cable and that seems to charge fine whether the phone's on or off. I guess I don't really ~get~ USB cables but it works so cheers!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 4, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I thought you were enjoying the ride to be honest!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lblitzer posted:

Pretty much the best I'm class under 5 inches

:heysexy:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WeAreTheRomans posted:

If anything, 1080p streaming porn is even more important for the peripatetic businessman

or... a CEO!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There's a pretty simple solution although it might void your warranty: griptape on your memory card

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a thread to get advice on working with Eclipse? My computer isn't recognizing a tablet and I can't find the drivers.

Not on here (there's an Android dev thread in Cavern of Cobol but not much happens in there) - this is the official 'support':
http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

If you're on Windows try the USB driver link and see if you can track something down from there - if all else fails try the Google USB driver from the SDK. You might want to try removing all traces of whatever driver you have installed, and make sure your tablet is booted up to the homescreen before you plug it in. There's a different driver or something that gets installed for fastboot, which is separate from the ADB driver, and if you plug it in early you might get the fastboot driver instead.

It's not really an Eclipse thing, although one way to check is to go to the platform tools folder in the SDK., open a command line window there, and type adb devices (make sure you have USB Debugging enabled). If it sees your device it'll print an identifier code. (If your tablet is in fastboot mode it won't show up under adb, but it would if you typed fastboot devices). See if you can see it with the adb tool but not in Eclipse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I said come in! posted:

Maybe a couple minutes at most though. Not an entire extra day like the click-bait heavy Android fansites will claim while receiving free phones from manufacturers.

It depends on what it's doing, things like using network and phone radios can drain a fair chunk of power, so there's a big difference between a phone that's using them efficiently (including when you have bad signal) and scheduling bulk data transfer, and a phone that's constantly revving the radios. Phones are meant to be in a sleeping state when they're idle too, which keeps the drain low, but if apps are constantly waking the device (or keeping it from sleeping) it'll be using a lot more power during the day - so good software will prevent this kind of thing too.

The main source of power drain is still going to be driving the display, but there are other efficiency gains that can help, especially over the course of an entire day. As usual it depends on your use. Someone who goes on weekend hikes and wants to be able to snap some pics and videos might see big improvements in battery life and usability if the phone is behaving itself better when it's idle. Someone spending hours playing games on the toilet, probably not so much!