Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Dear Android thread: I've always enjoyed your ridiculous titles, especially the fastball one. I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time and I have to say the thread's absurd title actually helped me today.

My Nexus 5 got stuck in a boot loop because the power button appeared to be stuck down. I remembered this thread title so I popped my phone out of the case and whacked the power button against the side of my desk. It actually worked!

.....good old Android.

Consider this a thread success! :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Dammit Google, I was hoping this year's phones wouldn't be poo poo. Nexus phones have generally been awesome and I loved my 4 and still really like my 5 even though it's what, three years old at this point? Was hoping these Pixels would be a good upgrade but man, these things are gonna be over $1,000 in Canada.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Has anyone ever purchased something from the B&H website linked earlier? I was looking at the Nexus 5X. The 5X is a pretty decent price and I kind of want to get it for my wife since the Pixel is super expensive here in Canada.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

ilkhan posted:

B&H is well known and super reputable. Don't worry about them at all. Mostly photo gear, which costs a hell of a lot more than a phone.

Thanks for confirming their reputability everyone, really appreciate it. Now to order some phones! Was thinking of getting a 6p for myself and a 5x for my wife so now I think I'll do that!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I've seen a great deal of discussion in this thread over the past year about proper charge cables to order for the 5x and 6p. Can anyone point me to a place that sells reliable cables, please? I'm looking for a car charger and some normal cables that plug into a charger (I can't really tell if these exist like they do for the Nexus 4 and 5).

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The 5x charger has been proven to be out of spec. Don't ever use it with any other USB C device.

How are you meant to charge the 5x then? What should we purchase instead?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I'd love to buy a Pixel for my wife and a Pixel XL for myself, if only they were in stock. Google, why can't you stock phones in Canada?! I've been waiting for over a month for stock!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I wonder when the Pixel XL 128 GB will ever come back in stock. At this point I'm leaning towards getting the normal Pixel since it's been 3 months without stock coming back in.

Is there a functional difference between the two aside from size?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

XL has a 1440p screen vs 1080p, and a bigger battery. RAM and CPU are the same.

Thank you. I have a follow-up question that is perhaps a bit subjective. How much of a difference will/does the extra resolution make? Does anyone have any experience comparing 1080p to 1440p at that size?

The larger battery is certainly attractive but man I have no idea when these things will be back in stock.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

maltesh posted:

I can add a Quite Black 128 GB Pixel XL to my cart in the Google Store right now, though the shipping time is claimed at 6-7 weeks on that.

That's very strange. It shows as out of stock for me. Perhaps that's because I'm in Canada?

Thank you for providing your thoughts on the Pixel vs the Pixel XL everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm still not quite sure what to get. I'm now leaning towards getting the Pixel (non-XL) 128 GB since it's both in stock at the moment and seems only marginally different from the non-XL.

I've talked to some other folks and they say that while the 1440p screen is great, it will eat through battery faster. Someone else made that same point here on the last page. Not sure if it is true; it has given me another thing to think about.

My wife's Pixel is amazing and it makes my Nexus 5 look like a piece of (slow) junk. My Nexus 5 has been a great phone. I did have to do the desk-whack thing a few times though!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for your help earlier in the thread everyone - I ordered the normal Pixel today. It should be here by Thursday!

That Netguard app looks particularly interesting. Is there anything specific I have to do to get it set up properly? This will be the first Android phone I've used that isn't rooted. I'm nervous about this! It seems like Netguard might get rid of a lot of ads though, which is nice.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I'm kind of unclear how Netguard works, even after reading their FAQ.

Can I use Netguard to prevent an app like Endomondo from connecting to the internet? And then will that prevent it from shooting me ads? Or do I use Adaway or Adfree to do that? Stupid Endomondo and your ads. I paid for pro and you clutter up the UI with your poo poo.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
My Pixel arrived yesterday and it is *amazing*. Holy man this is such a huge upgrade from my Nexus 5 I don't even know how to describe it.

Also...my >$1000 phone was left by UPS wedged between my house's door and our storm door. My wife's $80 Amazon order? Have to pick it up from Canada Post.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
My Pixel is great - the only thing that's frustrating is buying loving USB C cables for this thing. I *thought* this cable was appropriate to use (it has the 56k resistor) however some people in the reviews said it didn't meet specs (recent reviews) so I have no idea what to think anymore.

Edit: Looks like one of the only cables that is acceptable is this one. $23 a piece but I guess it won't fry my phone.

Edit2: Is this issue with these cables for when they're connected to a PC, a charger, or both? I'm struggling to figure this out.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 21, 2017

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

In short - USB C specs conformity are a complete shitshow and even reputable brands have a hard time getting their chargers and cables working correctly.

For chargers, stick to Google's charger if you can, it'll give you the fastest charging rate. Otherwise, just use a decent USB A charger with a decent USB C to A cable - bonus if your USB A charger supports Apple's 2.4A @ 5V proprietary standard because the Pixel supports that.

This cable is fine and you can get it from all the online Chinese stores cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018HUOQIQ/ref=twister_B018HVFR1K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for your help. I've returned the Cable Matters cables and ordered some of the BlitzWolf cables as well as the Belkin ones that bull3964 referred to as good earlier in the thread.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I've had my Pixel for a week now. I can't believe how amazing this phone is compared to my old Nexus 5. Pixel!!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I have a really weird/unique issue that I'm experiencing with the Pixel Google Assistant and I was wondering if anyone could help.

Both my wife and I have Pixels (the original). We're both on 8.1.0 however when she says, "Ok Google. Play hushing sounds" her phone plays a loop of "shhh" sounds that appear to be run through the Google Podcast app.

When I try to do the same thing it pulls up some jazz album on Play Music and I can't figure out how to get it to duplicate my wife's results. Although the "Shhh" sounds appear on the Google Podcast app on my wife's phone, the track doesn't actually seem to exist in Google Podcasts that I can find.

Anyone know how I can make my Assistant stop looking at Play Music and play these "shhh" sounds? I checked and it isn't the default player in my Assistant settings.

Edit: I figured it out! I had my Assistant set to English (UK) while my wife was using English (US). Switching to English (US) let me use the "play hushing sounds" command. Yay! But..why can't the UK Assistant do that?

Vasler fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 31, 2018

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
My wife and I both updated our OG pixels to Android 10 recently and have both had a weird restarting/bootlooping thing happen since.

I can't figure out what causes it but my phone will just start to massively hang, then restart. The first time this happened I was typing a Hangouts message. It will then get stuck while starting up where the little google logo is spinning around. It will spin around, then screen will turn off, the phone will vibrate and it will get back to the same spinning logo, only to do it again.

Both times my phone has done this it has recovered after a few loops but this is making me nervous since my pixel has been super stable since I bought it and this issue only started after upgrading to Android 10.

I've seen some people had issues like this on the internet (some google searches) but no solution. Anyone else had this happen before?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
My wife and I are thinking that it's time to upgrade from our pixel 1s since the battery doesn't hold much of a charge any longer.

I'm not sure I want to spend on a pixel 4 - how does the 4, 4a and (what we know of) the 5 compare to the OG pixel?

I also can't figure something out - what is the pixel 4a-5G and how is it different than the base 4a? Does the 5G just let it use the newer signal?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for your advice on the pixel 4, 4a, 4a-5G and 5, everyone.

I think I'll just wait to see what the 5 looks like. The 4a sounds good but if the camera is worse than the OG pixel I'm not sure I like that as an option.

Both my wife and I have had our batteries replaced in our OG pixels but they're still pretty bad. I wonder if we got old batteries or something.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I swear at least one person posted their experience with both and that the 4a camera was quite a bit worse than the OG. Glad to read that isn't correct, thanks for clarifying.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
That Pixel 5 looks great! Finally, I can replace my OG Pixel.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

I did that as well, and while the battery I replaced to was better, it still showed some signs of problems (certain battery levels would plummet super quick compared to others, eg it would go from 75% to 65% very quickly, then hang out in the 60s for a while).

But it's worth pointing out the OG Pixels aren't getting software/security updates any more. I'm still using mine until the P5 comes out for real and I can make a choice between that and the 4a.

My wife and I got our OG Pixel's batteries replaced in 2019. Even after replacement, battery life is pretty terrible. I get about an hour to an hour and a half of screen on time.

I'm not sure it's actually better than what I had before.

We're both holding out for pixel 5s now.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Been waiting so long for pixel 5s to come out. Any reason to wait to pull the trigger on a preorder? Upgrading from an OG pixel.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Is "preferred care" actually worth it? It really seems like an extended warranty with incredibly limited value for what it costs. Like, I'd have to break my screen twice to actually make it worthwhile.

I think I've answered my own question.

Edit:

Is Pixel stand the best wireless charger for pixels? What other good options are out there? This thing seems quite expensive.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Estimated delivery date of Nov 3 here in Canada. Woof! Sorta Sage will be fun :)

Did you all buy pixel stands to wirelessly charge?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
My Pixel 5 isn't supposed to show up until November 3, but I've got a potential problem here.

My OG Pixel started getting *really* hot yesterday out of nowhere, and the battery started draining quickly.

The charger I had it on overnight wasn't powerful enough to keep up with the drain and my phone turned off, but when I hooked it up to a better charger it turned on at 41%.

Today, I was using it and observed a 10% battery drain in 10 minutes. The phone was at 86% and I restarted it. When it turned on it was at 70%.

The phone is warm to the touch but the case looks normal (no swelling).

I'm not sure exactly what's going on here, but it seems like the phone and the OS aren't agreeing what the battery is actually holding in terms of charge?

What are my options here? I need to hold out for about 2 weeks!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Does the Pixel not have a battery health in settings that shows usage? That sounds like a rampant app draining your poo poo.

Alternatively, restore to factory settings?

I checked that out but nothing has changed in terms of my usage or apps from yesterday to the day before. Battery health didn't show anything.

Interestingly, the battery percentage continues to report strangely. I charged it up to 100%, then restarted the phone. When I restarted, it was telling me I had 50% left.

Is there any way to somehow reset this?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I don't think I have any apps with ads in order to check.

Some will tell you that if you aren't using two safes and 76 character passwords you're hopelessly insecure, but no, for your threat model what you're doing is perfectly fine.

That battery is dead. You can make it two weeks without a phone and smoobles says, this is a blessing.

Good(ish?) news! After doing the "battery full, shut down, charge battery until full" a few times, the phone started up and seems to be back to normal.

It isn't heating up while idling or running programs.

Thank god for that too, because after using the Moto G Fast (that name is wrong on so many levels)we had lying around, I'm glad I was able to get back to my pixel, if only for a short while.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
As I eagerly await my Pixel 5 I'm starting to think about wireless charging. I saw that Costco has some pretty cheap wireless charging Qi docks - would those work?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
My pixel shipped today and I have a fun Google story about it.

I clicked on the tracking number they gave me associated with my shipment and it tells me that the item has been delivered as of September 14 to Windsor, ON (I'm in SK).

Which is really funny, because I didn't place the order until September 30.

So I have a time and space-traveling pixel maybe coming my way.

Edit: Looking again, Google has my information right, so I have no idea what this tracking number they sent me is for. Should I contact support?

Vasler fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 27, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I'd love to know when my pixel is going to arrive but the tracking number now says, "Duplicate PIN" on Canada Post so god knows when it will get here.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I got my Pixel 5 today!

My pixel 1 died halfway through the file transfer process so it didn't finish and I can't figure out how to enable it again.

So I put in a help request with Google. To their credit, someone called me right away. However. I could barely hear the guy (sounded robotic because his connection was awful) and there was a rooster crowing in the background constantly.

The call got disconnected and it shows it as "in progress" now.

So uh...is there any way to transfer the rest of my stuff over without doing a hard reset and starting over?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

The exact same thing happened to me today ; my OG pixel died about 75% through the data transfer process. I had to charge it back up to 50% and then reconnect it, the transfer process picked up where it left off. For whatever reason the Pixel 5 didn't drop out of the process while I was charging the other phone, probably because I left the transfer cable plugged into it the whole time. If you reconnect your phone it might do the same thing for you, otherwise you just have to start over.

Pretty pleased with the Pixel 5, although I did have to enable the bottom row of navigation buttons because I could not figure out the newfangled swipe navigation and kept logging myself out of apps. I didn't notice the speakers being abysmally bad but I'm not an audiophile so IDK. They were loud enough to play some music in the background while I was cooking dinner and keep the kid occupied with Sesame Street while we were getting ready for bed, that's enough for me.

The only downside I can see right now is the memory. My wife's Galaxy S20 has half a terabyte, feels very limiting and behind the times to not have any more storage on this phone than I had on my old Pixel (128gb) and no option to expand it either. I don't save much on my phone besides music and a billion pictures of our kid so it should be fine, but I'll have to be judicious with the storage and rely on cloud services more than I like. The cloth case is solid, although I don't know if it's worth $40. The texture is very nice, feels good in your hand, and being able to wash it when necessary are all cool though. If you're on the fence I'd say wait for a sale or something.

Did a factory reset and tried it again. The same thing happened but this time I kept the cable plugged in while I charged my OG pixel.

The pixel 5 seems really nice but my phone is really warm after using it for a bit.

This is really worrying me because my pixel 1 got super warm and the battery poo poo itself at the same time.

The other weird thing is the speaker volume.

Playing puzzle and dragons some of the sounds are super loud, while some sounds are super quiet. Which is really different from my OG pixel where all sounds had the same volume. Really bizarre.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Alright, so after using my Simply Sage Pixel 5 tonight, it's getting really warm on the side opposite the camera. This is both interesting and incredibly unsettling, as my OG Pixel never heated up doing the same things I'm doing with this Pixel 5.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I got my phone on Friday! They wedged it in the door. Really good way to store ~$1,800 in phones (wife got one too).

The screen on these pixel 5s is amazing. I do have two nitpicks:

1) The sound quality is really weird. Like, coming from my pixel, the volume is all over the place on the pixel 5. Sometimes it sounds "normal", meaning that the volume out of the bottom and top speakers is the same.

Other times the top speaker volume is SUPER loud and I can't figure out why.

Calls also sound really weird. The entire screen has these tiny microvibrations, presumably from the under-glass speaker.

Not gonna lie, I wish there was a way to control the volume of this top speaker independently from the bottom one, because it is really getting in the way of my enjoyment of the phone.

2) The phone gets kinda warm when I'm playing games (around 33 C). It's weird, because my pixel 1 never heated up, except when the battery was making GBS threads itself.

All in all a really good phone but holy poo poo this top speaker is so goddamn annoying to deal with.

An example is in Puzzle and Dragons, the music and *most* of the sounds come out of the bottom speaker. But there are certain sounds that play out of the top speaker and they're like 3x the volume of everything else in the game.

So the options are, turn the sound down so you can't hear anything *except* the super loud sounds, or turn the volume up so you can hear everything, but then certain sounds are earblasting.

The bottom speaker seems okay to me!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Google has offered to swap my phone for a new one over the heat thing, but I'm not sure if this is normal. They seemed to think it wasn't, but my wife's phone does the same thing. I got a Simply Sage; she got a black one.

Edit: Added temperature.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 1, 2020

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wide angle lens owns, screen is amazing. It's much small than my previous XL pixels and will take some adjustment. I don't have the screen gap issue. Speakers sound fine, I have no expectations for a phone and use earbuds/headphones all the time like a normie.

Do you find differences in the volume between top and bottom speakers? My top speaker is super loud compared to the bottom one.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have an hour of SOT on my P5 today, and it's at 97% battery. Wtf.

I miss it too :(

The battery and screen are amazing on the P5. It's like a new world has been opened up coming from my OG pixel, where the battery would be dead after an hour of SOT.

The earpiece will take some getting used to. I found myself adjusting where I held my phone on calls because no spot on the ear seems to be "right". Probably because there's no distinct exit point for the sound, so it sort of rumbles throughout the glass.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Khablam posted:

The P5's battery is fine. In fact, it seems excellent overall (finally). It seems to have a display or calibration issue though, because no stamina test has come close to matching thread & reddit anecdotes on it.
It pulls 95hrs @ 60hz & 92@90hz, which is similar to a recent iPhone (non-maxxx pro) or Note 10 (non-plus).
That's exactly where you'd expect it to be, honestly. The pixel has just gone from grossly under-performing to being on-par.

It's a long way short of the big battery/budget phone range, but that wasn't a design goal anyway.

I'm having a similar experience - battery life if vastly improved over my pixel 1, but it isn't anywhere near what people are posting about.

Thinking about how we all use our phones can maybe explain this? If I play a game (record keeper or dissidia or whatever) that seem pretty intensive it would drain the battery faster than browsing SA.

Also, the phone heats up a bit using those apps so probably means that the battery is draining faster.

Battery life still feels great!

Sort of related - I've seen posts on reddit and such about wireless charging and charging in general and I was wondering if anyone knows anything on these topics:

1. Does wireless charging actually harm the battery? I bought some ubiolabs wireless chargers and they charge the phone really fast, but also cause it to heat up. Reddit (I know) seems to think that it will wreck the battery and I can't find information about why this would happen.

2. Does it matter what the battery is at when I charge it? Again, reddit and other websites have all these recommendations about how low you ought to let the battery get before charging. I'm the type of person that likes to top up the battery, but people say this is both harmful and not harmful - very helpful.

I'm really wondering if either of these things matter over a 3 yr lifespan. If this is like my pixel 1 I'll probably either replace the phone in 2-3 years or get a new battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I will use wireless charging with reckless abandon!

It does heat my phone up compared to regular charging, which kind of concerns my. On the other hand, it charges *super* fast.