Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

withoutclass posted:

Google Services drain a wild amount of battery so that's not too surprising.

I should have mentioned I do have my Google account on it as well as a few apps, but those are all in the Google compatibility sandbox, which is a great way to kind of meet in the middle on not wanting Google stuff but not going entirely away from it.

I had been contemplating going with a OnePlus or Samsung device but Lineage and Gapps aren't too great in the security department.

Would love to see GrapheneOS expanded to other devices, but that might be nothing more than wishful thinking. Not to mention both the dev and community are incredibly abrasive.

Edit: they almost have device backups working well enough but I still had to set up a Syncthing server to move everything manually anyways. I forgot how annoying switching devices without fiddling with a million things.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
As long as it doesn't devolve into a fanboy slapfight and is a constructive conversation. This thread has been pretty good at maintaining itself over the years so I don't really worry about it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

For me, iOS was great except for the keyboard. I ignored the Notification Pane (and I still do on my iPads) but the keyboard is the worst goddamn thing. It kind of made me buy my Pixel 6 Pro...but even that has problems as the wireless charging stopped working on it. No idea why but don't want to play RMA roulette with Google again.

This is weird because I feel like iOS has one of the most responsive and best feeling keyboards out there. They've always felt that way to me too. Much prefer swiping so that's a moot point but I thought your opinion was interesting.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's not just a matter of control, it's a matter of accessing controls. The iOS control panel is an absolute mess, and trying to find the section you need for the thing you want to change easily becomes a goddamn safari. Multitasking on Android is way easier for me, at least it is using 3-button navigation. Having clear, consistent controls between apps is hugely helpful for me, and being able to switch between apps without having to return to the home screen every time is nice. Despite using an iPhone for work, and having to provide tech support to my Boomer parents with their iPhones, I find them much more obtuse and the user interface much more hostile than Android.

Switching apps on the iphone works the same way it does for Android if you use gestures and not the 3 button menu. If its got the physical home button then you just double tap that.

e:fb

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Pretty soon there's not going to even be an iPhone Mini sized iPhone.

Small phones don't sell.

I don't really think that's the case. Each of the SE models have been relatively small devices, with smaller screen sizes than the Mini ones.

There were rumors that 12 Mini was going to be axed after poor sales but Apple still sells them, and then the obvious release of the 13 Mini just 7 months ago. I doubt we'll see the end of them, even from Android manufacturers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I am living your dream (used to have a pixel 6 pro)

I like the look of this, but why are companies making phones rest almost entirely on the camera bumps. I hate it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - defend your purchase

Yeah I think it's time to bring this gem back.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Says person who can't buy an Oppo

We don't need this sort of poo poo in this thread.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://9to5google.com/2022/05/13/google-pixel-watch-chip/

lol this thing is going to bomb

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
May be worth it to try to clean out the port with a toothpick.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Linux phones are still very much in its infancy and should absolutely not be used as a daily driver unless you want to tinker even more than custom Android roms. I do hope they take off at some point but unless they get some backing from a huge company, projects like Pinephone will simply stay that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

My mom has a Galaxy a51 and it just fell on the floor. It says it has been factory reset when I try to turn it on and begins setup. before I do anything, is there a way to recover what was on her phone? If I go through setup will it wipe anything that was there?

Is there an SD card in it that could be taken out and put into a PC? You could also try just plugging in the phone to a PC to see if it'll show up as removable storage.

Generally a factory reset will wipe the device and put it back to, well, factory settings. That seems like a much worse fate than just a screen breaking from a fall though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sometimes the cable itself can be the issue, especially if it is some cheapo one from a dollar store bin.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

really? i figured something not built for gaming/4k watching alone would drop it down substantially. i'm also willing to downgrade the storage to 64 gb too if need be

and yes, it's U.S.

Are you willing to buy used? I haven't bought a new phone since the OG Pixel. No point unless you want to be on the cutting edge. $400 can get you a used Pixel 6, the 5a seems to be around $300, which is probably worth the extra $100 over the 4a 5G.

$300-400 can get you an S21 or Note 20 if you like Samsung.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I believe SIM cards just hold subscriber info nowadays. Verizon first started requiring SIM cards when they rolled out LTE.

I’m of the opinion that 5G provides little to no benefit for what LTE does already.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I would forget the network you’re connected to and rejoin it. Maybe even reset all network settings.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Yesterday I noticed my P6A was having trouble unlocking with my right thumb so I deleted those prints and redid them, but it took a long time for the enrollment to read the new entries.

Today my phone has stopped reading my right thumb at all, while my left unlocks it first try every time. That's, uh, weird.

I am on A13 beta, though. May just be some bug.

What about other fingers? Maybe your right thumb is just beat up enough to not get a solid read. You could also do multiple entries of it just to get around that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the Pixel 5 an option for you? I'll get shot down over this because it's nearly 2 years old but that thing was a lovely size, performed well, had a nice 90Hz screen, a good camera and exceptional battery life.

Buying a 1-2 year old flagship is arguably the best price to performance ratio you'll get. I'll always advocate people go that route before dumping $900 on a phone on a 36 month finance plan. Especially with so many OEMs having shaky records with defects on brand new devices.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
gently caress it, put one on the side, back, screen and have a Face ID type one too. Make PIN codes 10 digits minimum, make the grid to draw your unlock code a 10x10 square with a requirement of 8 lines with one overlapping somewhere, and an alpha numeric password requires a breathalyzer.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I also switched to NextDNS, point my router to it and works great. Haven’t had to fiddle with it nearly as much as PiHole, worth the $20 to me for sure.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Has anyone tried Graphine OS? Any thoughts on it?

I moved over to it early 2021 after deciding to jump from Google services. Used it up until about April of this year as I jumped to iPhone. Still follow the project pretty closely and recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to rely on Google and wants something secure and private.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You could use F Droid as an alternate App Store. Or if you can’t get a rom without google apps you can try to use Aurora Store to download and use apps without needing to actually use a Google account.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That could probably be done with Tasker pretty easily actually. Glad you were able to get a good start on it!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

withoutclass posted:

Apple really doesn't need to do anything. Apple has iMessage. Hell just two days ago a friend of mine that's been on Android forever was considering an iPhone because his kids are older and communicating with other parents is becoming annoying when they try to send each other videos of the sports their children are playing together.

I've had success getting some people move to Signal, especially if they're not partial on Apple or Android. Has video and picture sharing so much easier but people make such a stink about downloading an app just to communicate. No problem downloading a hundred lovely apps that do nothing but god forbid someone recommends something actually useful.

No I am not bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bandire posted:

Your poo poo is getting cataloged no matter what you do. Might as well reap some of the benefits.

Youtube is approaching my primary entertainment source now. The Google TV app is pretty good, and it recommends interesting stuff all the time. Ad-free Youtube is the last subscription I'll give up at this point.

The benefits I get from my poo poo getting rifled through isn't worth it to me. I don't care if it's mundane things like what restaurant I ate at on a Tuesday last month, I'd rather limit who gets what from me as best as possible. And for me, jumping through the hoops help give me piece of mind. Not to mention if you do or have ever janitored your phone then choosing private options are pretty adjacent in operation.

Exporting my subscriptions from Youtube and importing them to Invidious and Freetube was painless and I'm fine not getting content recommendations from them anymore because there's still plenty of ways to find content I know I'll enjoy that isn't made from an algorithm.

For me, much of it has been getting away from social media and Google as much as possible. One to get a bit more online privacy and two to help my mental health with not taking in so much dumb poo poo on social media. The only thing I miss on facebook is harmlessly troll news article comment sections saying I'd put their nephew in a headlock or deliver a box of millipedes to them.