Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

had been becoming increasingly envious of apple watch users, so i'm stoked to beta test this poo poo.

CLAM DOWN posted:

look at that fat loving bezel lmao

e:

yeesh, yeah that's pretty disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fitbit tracking and metrics are vastly inferior to Garmin. I'm sticking with my Garmin watches

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel tablet!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fitbit tracking and metrics are vastly inferior to Garmin. I'm sticking with my Garmin watches

i've been using fitbits for a few years now, and i fully agree the capabilities are inferior to other stuff out there. but i'm fully bought in, so fitbit integration is a win for me

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Pixel tablet!

it looks like a big pixel 5 lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ShoogaSlim posted:

it looks like a big pixel 5 lol

Not a bad thing really.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

CLAM DOWN posted:

look at that fat loving bezel lmao

e:

Looking at the watch 4 on my wrist, it looks about the same.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Not a bad thing really.

not at all. i prefer the look of the 5 over most other models

also, calling it now: the pixel 7 and pixel watch are gonna have some exclusive shared capabilities to get plebs like me to not "settle" for a 6a.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sticking with the Garmin watch, 0 technical info at a developer conference for your product releasing in a few months is bad news.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i've been using fitbits for a few years now, and i fully agree the capabilities are inferior to other stuff out there. but i'm fully bought in, so fitbit integration is a win for me

100%, if you're already in the fitbit ecosystem this is great. I just am definitely not going to switch haha, Garmin is fantastic.

I would also be completely constantly stressed about this pixel watch scratching, holy hell

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

bull3964 posted:

Pixel tablet!

The position of the pogo pins make me wonder if it's the true identity of this 9to5 scoop:
https://9to5google.com/2022/03/24/google-nest-hub-tablet-2022/

Then again with Google it's just as likely they could be releasing two tablet products in close proximity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Photex posted:

sticking with the Garmin watch, 0 technical info at a developer conference for your product releasing in a few months is bad news.

It's a Galaxy watch 4 with Fitbit sensors and algorithms. It's not really much of a mystery.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Same although I was about ready to ditch Fitbit wholesale after my Charge 4 started dieing in the middle of a run in less than 50F weather which started last fall. And the loving thing is only two years old now. Fortunately, it's now warm enough that the Charge shouldn't die when exposed to the elements that I can wait for the Pixel Watch.

Also a neat thing I noticed that I'm surprise they didn't highlight is that the Pixel Watch appears to be ambidextrous. At least going by their model photos they showed. It looks like you can wear the watch on either hand, have the crown pointing towards your hand, and display the right way up. I don't know if other smartwatches do that but as a lefty that's a much welcome feature.

Incessant Excess posted:

Kinda big bezels on that tablet too, not just the watch.

Also a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio. I much prefer 3:2 and can get by with 4:3. Of course, that could be me being used to using Surface devices even though they don't make for great tablets. I feel that 16:10 is just a tad too wide for a tablet.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 11, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

While the watch is a wash for me, I would get that detachable tablet 100%.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Edward IV posted:

Also a neat thing I noticed that I'm surprise they didn't highlight is that the Pixel Watch appears to be ambidextrous. At least going by their model photos they showed. It looks like you can wear the watch on either hand, have the crown pointing towards your hand, and display the right way up. I don't know if other smartwatches do that but as a lefty that's a much welcome feature.

Galaxy Watch 4 allows you to do that. You can tell either what wrist you are putting it on (for ECG purposes) and what side your keys are on (so you can flip orientation.)

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Developer keynote stream starting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBkyU1TJKDg

Seems likely they'll touch on what the Fitbit & Google Fit integration/migration will look like via "Health Connect" so might be worth putting it on in the background if you're a WearOS user and still have some spare attention because the main keynote had practically nothing of substance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

I mean, the tablet was full on render at this point. I doubt there's much more than an engineering example with a tensor chip and the right sized screen at this point.

Bezels do have their purpose on tablets though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

Developer keynote stream starting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBkyU1TJKDg

Seems likely they'll touch on what the Fitbit & Google Fit integration/migration will look like via "Health Connect" so might be worth putting it on in the background if you're a WearOS user and still have some spare attention because the main keynote had practically nothing of substance.

Looks like Health Connect will integrate data from Samsung Health, Fitbit, and Fit. So, that's good enough for me it it works well.

I would love to be able to export my Samsung Health data to Fitbit.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Edit: Beaten.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

... 17 Hours to full? Does having your Pixel stand in a window getting a lot of direct sunlight impact charging time? I recently moved my desk :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Direct sun can heat up a device a lot which may lead to charge throttling.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sab669 posted:

... 17 Hours to full? Does having your Pixel stand in a window getting a lot of direct sunlight impact charging time? I recently moved my desk :shrug:

I'm pretty sure it'll lower the charge rate if it gets too hot in the battery, but idk if that's something merely being in the sun indoors can do. I'm guessing it's adaptive charging trying to be helpful and charging at snail pace since you're working some regular amount of time daily.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Sab669 posted:

Do you have a case? Have you tried repositioning the charger? Have you tried another cable/port for the charger itself?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Must be the heat. It is quite warm to the touch. It's been a mild 40-60 degrees the last month, right up until this week where it's suddenly been full blown summer

No case, haven't really moved the charger much other than the general shifting it does every time I place the phone on it. Can't seem to find any spare USB cables lol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't seen anyone mention that the telephoto on the Pixel 7 Pro cameras is now circular.

Maybe it's a rendering oversight, but that would indicate a non-periscope lens.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This gif really makes the huge bezels apparent

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really, the rounded glass edges make it worse. The bezels would probably be about the same as the Watch 4 if the glass was flat and and the case met it at a right angle. Waterfalling over the side makes them worse.

That said, that's a render and an animation so it's hard to say how exact that is.

I haven't really been silent for how much I'm not really a fan of the Pixel Watch hardware. The minimal case design just screams fragile to me. I''ll probably still try one out (especially if they have Pixel 7 launch deals with it), but if I can export my health data from my GW4 to Fitbit, I don't know if it's going to earn that much time on my wrist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pixel watch is a flop, shocker

salt shakeup posted:

Ugly or not at least it's not an oppo LOL

Says person who can't buy an Oppo

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 11, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those look bigger than the bezels on my Ticwatches. :stare:

Edit: And it's a bummer it looks like they stuck with curved edges for the Pro. Aside from price, the curved edges is what really drove me to get a Pixel 6 instead of a Pro.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 11, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Other tidbits

The Pixel 6 series has outsold the Pixel 4 and Pixel 5 combined.

There are three times the number of WearOS users now compared to this time last year

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'll be waiting for the Pixel 7 launch I guess. No biggie

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

A blessing to be sure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - defend your purchase

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why are the bezels so big? Did they pack a discrete GPU in there or something?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
P7 following the P6 lead of being gently caress ugly

bull3964 posted:

Other tidbits

The Pixel 6 series has outsold the Pixel 4 and Pixel 5 combined.

There are three times the number of WearOS users now compared to this time last year

Maybe I was missing them in my algorithm then but I get so. Many. P6 commercials. I don’t recall ever seeing a stitch of advertising for the 4 or 5.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahah I actually like the steel camera bump, it looks pretty space agey

Pixel Watch is horrible though. poo poo looks like a bluetooth connected watch from 2013

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Thank you for continuing to be a dumb useless addition to this thread.

Was anyone else thinking "they are definitely planning to revive AR wearable tech" at the beginning and felt vindicated when they showed off the glasses at the end?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - defend your purchase

Yeah I think it's time to bring this gem back.

We don't need this sort of poo poo in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

That bezel...I mean it's not like I was suddenly gonna get out of the Samsung ecosystem but you hate to see a mistake like that.