Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Grimson posted:

Where can you get a good AT&T Moto X 2013 these days? It seems like all the reputable sellers with a good stock that were on e-bay previously have disappeared.

Swappa? Glyde? Gazelle via Ebay? Heck, Glyde has them for like $95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Someone has to balance out the dumb dude giving awful advice recommending buying an S5

I don't get it, because they're not bad choices and in fact a lot of people really like them! And they're one on the last pioneers for removables! I mean yeah there's other great choices too but it's not like the Notes or Galaxys are going to bring somebody fits of rage like you seemingly think.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

codo27 posted:

. I don't need a phablet, don't know why anyone would

Going to take a stab here at something crazy: preference?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Thanks for the help everyone! Probably going to pick up a new Moto X 2013 off eBay tomorrow. Now for the service. I've seen a couple people recommend Cricket and some stuff online mention Straight Talk... Any opinions there?

Go Cricket, $50 will get you 5gb of data (it is throttled to 8mbps on LTE), $60 will get you 20gb. Save a bunch if you've got friends you can bring on board.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You got Googled

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kensei posted:

Does the MAXX really have Lollipop already? drat.

The Droid Maxx or the Moto Maxx? My Droid does not have it yet.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TheQat posted:

So the S6 is definitely USB2.0 only, right? Seems weird, though I can think of some possible reasons they'd go backwards on that front

The Note 4 went back, too. Mostly from customer confusion, not knowing that they could use their existing micro-usb cables with those 3.0 slots.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

seiferguy posted:

My Galaxy S5's (not the active, AT&T if that makes a difference) battery isn't holding a charge as much as I'd like it to. I'd like to get an extended battery for it. I have a case for it, so I'd *prefer* to not have to have to get a battery that would require a new case, but if it's worth it, I'd do it. What's the best extended battery on the market right now?

Choose one: stock battery with stock case or extended battery with bigger case.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Motorola has been better lately. It's fairly new for them though - they never used to be this "good" about updates.

If by good you mean just like everyone else (except maybe LG, they came out of left field), then yeah everybody is kind of all over the map in terms of Lollipop updates and even then, Motorola and the Nexus 5 have had some pretty major issues with it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

It's better than hearing about sour grapes from everyone who doesn't have the update yet.

Lollipop on my G 2014 and Nexus 5 was terrible and it's been brought up several times before in this thread and is a pretty huge concern on XDA and reddit. It's kind of funny though that the Nexus 5 is one of the biggest problem children for the update but I haven't heard a lick about the LG phones having issues.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Two communities full of even bigger spergs than we have here, one of which is dedicated to breaking their devices. Lollipop works great on my 5.

That's debatable but my point still stands that they're fairly common issues and congrats to you I guess.

http://www.androidauthority.com/fix-lollipops-massive-memory-leak-coming-soon-ish-577101/

http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/01/30/nexus-5-bugs-lollipop-fix/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-issue-tracker/

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

http://www.gsmarena.com/android_lollipop_has_a_memory_leak_bug_fix_is_on_the_way-news-10622.php

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So Huawei is going to be the next partner in the Nexus program. Weird.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not only that but going backwards is a huge pain in the rear end.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I'd like to thank everyone who suggested a 2013 Moto X and Cricket. God drat it feels great to have legit fast cell service again and the phone is fantastic. I really love the active display as well, didn't think I'd get much use out of it, but its very handy.

If I want to upgrade in the future, what's a step up, but also keeps the smaller size? Z3 compact?

Yep, the Z3 is a really nice phone. Much more expensive if you're buying off-contact but still more affordable than the likes of Samsung, LG, HTC.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

Why do you need to carry around a phone/brick with such a huge battery? Are you usually without access to a power outlet for 2-3 days at a time?

I just don't get how someone doesn't charge their phone at night when they go to bed.

Who cares?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah man, let's cheer on a race to the bottom! I can't wait until the lenovo/superfish fiasco reinvents itself on phones!

I think he's more referring to having phones like the Nexus 5 or OPO being non-contract, affordable, and decent. Heck, even the new Asus phone looks pretty great and is going to be under $300. I'm not sure how the superfish issue is relevant to cheap phones though, is that like Xaomi or any of those companies coming preinstalled with malware?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Google'd :confuoot:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

How's that working out for them?

It's not the hardware that's the problem with Blackberry. I'd be willing to bet that outside of maybe BBM, the keyboard is one of the biggest factors for people getting one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nerve posted:

i love how many wacky niche cases pop up in the android thread

Isn't this like Android to the T?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nerve posted:

no, actually the vast majority of people just use their galaxy or note and never even think about posting in a phone enthusiast thread

I thought you meant more in the sense that you have several different devices to choose from for whatever your use case is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
At this point every manufacturer is making pieces of poo poo that nobody is happy with so going with an OPO won't hurt.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Nexus 5 and Moto G were huge pieces of poo poo so :shrug:. I am really liking the Droid Maxx though.
Heck even Samsung would turn people away when the S3 battery and micro-usb connector issues came up. Every company sucks and just throw away your phone or buy an HTC First and be done with it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Variable_H posted:

MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

That's the thing though, his reviews aren't necessarily subjective but what he thinks of them himself. He doesn't do arbitrary numbers or grading scales, he just tells people what he likes and doesn't like while doing a thorough but not too technical explanation.

I wouldn't be surprised if his success or his rich-as-gently caress-ness comes from simply doing these reviews, he's got like 2 million subscribers. He's been doing them since he was like 15. Yeah maybe it's a little crass that his equipment is overkill (pretty sure he shoots his videos with a RED camera) but he's got fantastic presentation skills both in himself and with the quality of his videos. What college kid who loves tech wouldn't want to spend money on some high end poo poo though?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Refurb Verizon Moto X 2014 for $260 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...=item234d0be9ff

Can be used on GSM networks but you may not get LTE.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Okay so I'm trying to find the proper charge cord for a Nexus 5. I have the one that came with the phone at home, but I wanted a spare for work so I can charge my phone.

I'm using some random cable now but it takes like 5 hours for the phone to charge with it. Yes I know I could just buy a Tylt Vu or something but I plan on switching to the M9 next month.

So yeah, I figure I could find the cord on Monoprice or something but I want to make sure it's the proper cord (the one that came with my phone charges in about an hour and a half or so).

Get the Blackberry Blade charger. They run like $7 and charge at 1.8a.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm confused by Moto's device replacement policy so I'm asking here. I can grab a broken 2nd gen Moto X for $60, screen is busted. Does Moto do free device replacement?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Fastballing your phone has actually come to fruition

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

But didn't AT&T and Verizon structure EDGE and NEXT so that it's a lovely deal compared to their "regular" plans whereas T-Mobile only offers the one (much better) way?

Not anymore, they're pretty much the same. You have your monthly plan costs and then you add on whatever the phone costs through 18-24 months. AT&T and Verizon both give you discounts on the monthly plan price by going with their program compared to the typical 2 year contract. It was an absolutely terrible deal shortly after they came out, but they had some backlash and changed it not too long after it's inception.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
A lot of goons itt that will tell you to stay far away from the OPO because of the silly PR decisions and terrible customer support (it's really bad). I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and really like it. There's a load of custom roms available or even the stock one works well. Battery life is insane and the phone feels pretty good naked.

A Moto X 2014 is always a good choice too unless battery life is your main need. Why not use Cricket instead of GoPhone? The only thing you get that's better on Gophone is faster LTE speeds which will mean nothing unless you're constantly streaming videos.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Are you guys just weirded out by new technology or something?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got a 2013 Moto X. Although now I'm realizing it doesn't have expandable storage (16 gig). Oh well shouldn't be too big of a deal since literally the only thing I store on my phone are 8 gajillion photos of my 8 month old daughter.

Coming from Windows Phone it'll be nice to experience this thing they call "apps."

Run the Google+ app and setup Auto Backup. Now you've got unlimited cloud storage for pics and 15gb for whatever else.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Crossposted with the plan thread, but how easy is it to change phones on Cricket? Like for example if they use different size Sim cards. Would I be able to just buy an adaptor and swap Sim cards, then have cricket activate the new phone? Can I switch phones back and forth? I've been with Sprint for so long I don't know how this works :S

You can change plans on a whim from the app or online. Or even calling into CS I'm sure but why would you abuse yourself like that? I use a sim adapter. Got a nano originally and bought myself an adapter as my others phones have all been micro-sim.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah I was pulling my hair out trying to understand WHY I would want more then one Sim if I could just reuse the same one. Do you know how it works if I buy a phone direct from Cricket? They made it sound like I would NEED a new Sim card if I bought direct since it seems they want to activate it immediately before shipping.

I don't sorry, but I imagine it would be similar to just getting a sim and a plan, they send it out and you activate (and port if you're doing that) it when it arrives.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The S6 Edge is amazing to hold. Really going to be tough not to pick one up.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

spoof posted:

Aside from :samsung: is there a reason no one is really excited about the S6? It seems to have all the right things, a great camera with OIS, reasonably waterproof and wireless charging. Life hasn't been kind to my Nexus 5 and it could use a replacement soon, with a good camera and not-phablet being the main two criteria. I travel a lot so a world phone is a huge plus, which is pushing me towards an iphone 6. Is there a summary of the bands the S6 supports somewhere?

Basically TouchWiz has been a thorn in Android's side for several years in various ways. Samsung would flood phones with their own apps to "enhance" your Samsung experience, the interface was a bit too bubbly and corny, and some devices have a large amount of confusing choices when it comes to settings and customization.

There's a lot of good words going around on the toned-down version of Touchwiz in the S6, which is great news because they've always been regarded as great devices otherwise. The S6 looks incredible imo and is probably going to be the device to beat this generation. The M9 looks more or less like the same thing minus some criticism with the processor they're using. The G4 is more or less rumors so far.

Otherwise there is the likes of the Nexus 6 and the high end Motorola devices.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Note 4 with lollipop has been just fine for me so far, but I am getting inconsistent performance on google maps, particularly when using navigation. It seems to lose a GPS fix randomly, but when I open another app that uses GPS like Osmand, I will get a lock from GPS and it will track me fine on the map. This didn't happen before lollipop as far as I remember and google searching tells me that I am a fringe case (or nobody has reported it). Seriously debating how to deal with this, its a little frustrating. Samsung'd..

Why not use Here Maps? Imo it's a much better navigation app plus you can use it offline!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

To be fair, The Verge's battery tests have usually been pretty subjective unlike say ArsTechnica. I mean yeah you've got a lot more pixels to push from a smaller battery but everywhere else I'm reading says that it's about the same, maybe a little less than the S5 (which was pretty fricken great).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

I know you want to defend your purchase, but please don't forget history. The Droid Turbo's life will almost certainly mimic that of the Droid Maxx. Sure, it seems like an improved version of the moto x. Better line items on the information sheet, but it's still ugly and verizon still has you by the balls for updates. The Droid Maxx made a valiant effort to stay in line with the moto x for updates, but you know motorola isn't going to/can't devote resources to a single carrier phone that (by several accounts) has the strictest update process. The Turbo will be the same way. Good support at first, but will taper off far before that of the Nexus 6 or the multi-carrier sibling it's trying to out-line item (2014 moto x). We've been through this before, we have the data points, we know what works and what doesn't. Don't buy phones that aren't directly supported by the platform creator and especially don't buy phones that aren't on all major carriers.

Also the opposite of this is that if you have a Nexus 5, you were a guinea pig for Lollipop and had a ton of memory leak issues :confuoot:

To be honest, this is a weird time for Android. Motorola has been a bit behind on keeping up with updates for their main devices (like bull said, the Moto X and Droid Maxx are supposed to get Lollipop but nothing yet), the Nexus devices have had a shaky start but are finally there, and LG, HTC, and Samsung have all had a few of their flagships updated more quickly than anyone would have thought.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

Samsung has been pretty good about updates for a while now. The S III shipped with the current version of Android and received 4 major updates. That's tied with the Nexus 4 and better than every other Nexus phone. The only Android device that's gotten more updates is the 2012 Nexus 7 that went from 4.1 to 5.1 which is pretty baffling considering it has a Tegra 3.

Sure Samsung is a little slower (the S4 is getting Lollipop now) but it's not like the old days when you were lucky to get more than one update.

I wouldn't call needing to reboot the phone every few days a "ton of memory leak issues" but if that's the reason Samsung waited so long then why are they still sending it out?

Maybe I should have restated that Verizon flagships have been pretty timely with updates.

AFAIK, the Nexus 5 and Moto G are the only devices that suffered from the terrible memory leaks, I haven't heard a peep about any of the other Lollipop devices, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

butt dickus posted:

If I wanted to reboot my phone regularly I would have bought a OnePlus.

My OPO is running pretty drat well, I'm really liking it. Haven't had to fiddle with it other than getting a custom Lollipop rom, no FCs or random weirdness. Overall much better than my time with the Nexus 5, plus the battery life is incredible. That said I pray to the phone gods that I don't have to call CS for anything and it holds up well.