Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Interest in the Pixel 5 seems to be eclipsing that for the Pixel 4 devices. Anyone got thoughts on this? I think it's a return to basics, like better battery life, ultra wide camera, improved screen refresh rate, lower price point, all-screen design etc.

I was up for a new phone and was going between the s20 fe and the Pixel 5, coming from an S9+.

I settled on the Pixel 5 as I wanted to get back to a plain old device and a smaller phone with quicker OS updates.

It ticks all my boxes and am super exited for the end of the week.

Last actual google phone was the Nexus 5 and I absolutely loved that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That was one of the main reasons I went with the Pixel 5 over it.

It's literally just released and should really have shipped with 11.

If it had i would have had to think about it a lot more.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I got my Pixel 5 yesterday and had a quick play with it. Love it so for.

Coming from my S9+ the size is super refreshing. It's speedy and vanilla Android 11 is really nice.

Being in Aus, mine came with the basic usbc earbuds which basically are the same design as the basic Apple ear buds, which are actually quite impressive for a non in ear earbud.

Gonna wait for my case to come before I take it into the real world but super happy with the phone right now.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Get some rigid plastic from a blister packing piece and some scissors, cut a long strip with a nice thin point and clean that port out.

You will marvel at the amount of lint that comes out. Charging will resume.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, I'll give that a look, thanks a bunch!

I just blasted it out with compressed air, nothing came out. Maybe something with a little rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts if they've got some ungodly residue buildup on them?

Nah compressed air is fine, but you really need to dig around in there. It's the really fine particles that get compacted every time you plug the charging .

100% what you described I've had on a never of older phones with microusb. It's a haven for built up particles.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I've had my p5 for a week now and I absolutely love it.

Nice coming home from work a d it still have +50% battery left.

Coming from my S9+ which I had to bump down the screen res to get a day out of the battery after about y months-ish and stayed that way until I swapped over.

It's the perfect size and weight, super snappy and for me is just a great little phone.

The one funny bug I've found though is that at work, when driving in my van and it's connected to bluetooth I get random message notifications on the vans info screen, but not on my phone.

So I just keep on getting random messages from my wife and parents with no context from years ago.

It's like a time machine showing me what I was doing randomly at a certain point.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Twerk from Home posted:

Phone speakers are the only part of the phone that has gotten outright worse in every way than phones were 5 years ago. Personally, I blame waterproofing.

Personally I think it's all a ploy to stop kids walking down the street blasting lil dolphin or whatever mumble rap artist til tok has latched onto.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The thing is the battery life gets better after about a week.

I'm getting home from work with a few hours SOT and still have over 70% left.

Even brand new on my s9+ it was around 40%.

Phone is great.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I loved my LG G3 for this when we used to go to the pub. Bar staff wouldn't change one out of like 40 screens to show not Rugby League so just changed them myself.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

DrDork posted:

Yeah, pretty much the industry as a whole is struggling with the realization that mid-tier phones are now "good enough" for the vast majority of people, and a looooot of people are starting to side-eye the $1000+ tier and asking what exactly they're getting for their money.

They also (correctly) identified the fact that an enormous part of the market would really like better battery life than having their apps load 0.1 seconds faster.

Honestly after using my pixel 5 from launch, I think I'll stick with midrange and a long battery life. I get why flagship phones exist, but I just want a long battery and something to browse the net when it gets quiet at work.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

boz posted:

I went from a Note 10 (I think) to a Pixel 4 for that reason and I've been super happy with it.

So nice to have a phone that is normal sized again.

I found my original Galaxy S the other day and it is just the perfect size.

I rocked that bad boy as a mp3 player for so long after it passed it's use by date.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's just as bad here in Australia.

I've visited Tokyo and Berlin a few times in the last few years prior to the pandemic and the choice in both those places is staggering.

There's about 10 different price points and there must be at least 10 different models per price point.

I wish we had the same amount of stock to choose from.

(I know I could just order things online, but I'd much rather at least hold the things in my hand)

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

fondue posted:

I almost never ever have a problem with my Pixel ... until now. After the latest update the battery services have gone all fucky. First it added some kind of battery saving option so that it won't let the phone get hot because it's apparently bad for the battery ... except now my phone won't fast charge. Sometimes it won't charge at all until I reboot the phone. WTF?

Is it the Adaptive Charging option? The one that charges your phone slow so it's topped up when you wake up?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I just shattered my screen on my Pixel 5 and was looking at options to update but like nothing is remotely piquing my interest in any shape or form.

You guys ever get this?

I can't really hold out for a couple of months for the P8, so I'll probably just end up getting the P7a, but man it's really depressing trying to find any nice cases either.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't suppose you're in the UK? Or do you have insurance?

I do but I was thinking about trying the iFixit screen repair kit.

HelixFox posted:

I feel you buddy. I went from Pixel 5 to Pixel 7a and have to say it's been a disappointment with poor battery life and just generally feeling worse to hold. I might trade it in for a Pixel 8 when that comes out or maybe even try a non-pixel phone for once.

I briefly thought that I might go back to the galaxy range, (the A54 doesn't look too bad for a mid-range), but I really don't want to move away from stock android again.

In all honesty I'll probably try and find a 7/7a on special.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah the Buds A's for me have been excellent other than my ear shape kinda not locking them in all the time.

Google's having a sale for their 25th anniversary which looks like it's 25% off most things as per the Japanese store.

The 7a would come down to about $530AUD which for all I was 50/50 on makes it a lot more enticing than dropping $1400 an S23. Means I can justify upgrading again at an earlier date.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Lint in the charging port?

Poke around with a toothpick or pointy plastic, be amazed at the crud that comes out.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Could be that too I guess. Is that safe to do without risking any damage? I wouldn't wanna gently caress poo poo up worse.

It hasn't hurt my ports, and I do it once a month.

I normally cut a piece of plastic off like the packaging of batteries or SD cards into a long sharp point.

I wouldn't use anything metal in case of shorting/damaging any pins.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone that has used the P5 and the base S23 comment on differences in haptics?

I work in a warehouse so rely on the haptics a bit, but from what I'm ready the S23 lines have some weak motors.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah, on a forklift all day and not gonna hear a ringtone, but can stop and hop off if I get calls from the notification buzz.

I have a Fitbit as well so that works too, but it's vibration can be a bit hit and miss too.

Not the end of the world, but would just be good to know.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Goddamn it, that google sale has all phones bar the 7a included.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I saw the latest Z Flip store demo unit before it was released, and the crease was already hosed beyond belief, like a speed hump on a road.

You couldn't pay me to own a foldable screen phone. I get the idea, but it just seems it's a consumable item that's gonna be replaced a couple of times over the lifespan of the phone.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be cool with a Pixel 8 or 9 Pro to replace my Pixel 5 when the time comes. I had a Nexus 6P and got "used" to it, but as soon as I replaced it with an OG Pixel it was silly how quickly the Nexus felt enormous again. The P8Pro is the same size as the Nexus, but the screen goes all the way to the top. :argh:

I almost bit the bullet on a 7a to replace my 5. In the discover page over the 25th anniversary sale, it was showing the 7a with the 25% discount.

Lodged a ticket with Google and they were going to honor it, but I pretty much convinced myself on the 8, probably pro.

My 5's screen is shattered and the battery life is terrible now.

If Google used the form factor of the 5 as a competitor for the iPhone SE, I'd just buy one of those every two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone taking stock of the possible rumoured prices for Pixel 8.

(899 Eur for base 128gb model, jump of 150).

Really hoping it's not that bad, that's gonna be like $1350aud (more likely gonna be $1400)

I moved back to pixel for a cheaper phone, but thats pushing back into the too much for me.