Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever seen this from fastboot?
code:
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools> .\fastboot update .\hammerhead-lmy47d\image-hammerhead-lmy47d.zip
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1046070000 bytes
error: update package missing system.img
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools>
:shrug:

Edit: Obviously I checked that system.img is present, also tried re-downloading the entire image. I've never seen that "max download size" thing before.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Use the included flash-all.bat file? It also does bootloader and baseband, so skipping them might have something to do with it?
Sorry, I didn't skip these, they just worked fine so didn't post the output.

Anyway I rebooted my PC and apparently that fixed it.

LastInLine posted:

I'm almost certain that message came up on the last update I manually flashed and it definitely came up about forty seconds ago when I flashed it on my N5. Mine, however, lacked the "failed to allocate.." and "error: ..." lines and flashed as expected.
You're right, that line is apparently normal.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Have to completely disagree with you there. This is a completely awesome change.
Agree. Notification light doesn't actually interrupt me like sound/vibrate so should always work no matter what mode I have the phone in. This is a good change.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

If 5.1 allows you to not-encrypt (or hardware encrypt for almost no speed penalty) it might actually be worth upgrading from my N5 for.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you can already choose not to encrypt a Nexus 5. Mandatory encryption only applies to devices that shipped with Lollipop.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Like a Nexus 6?
(I was responding to the post above mine about the N6. If you can decrypt the N6, or make it not have that giant performance hit, the N6 might be worth getting now).
Right, yeah, missed that context.

My N5 has been awesome since updating. It was visibly jerking on the way to work when scrolling in Something and Chrome, spp switching was taking a couple of seconds, launcher was reloading every time, unusable garbage. Got to work, flashed 5.1, has been perfect ever since. Using it for dev stuff all day and then browsing/games on the way home, not one launcher redraw and no lag anywhere. Definitely need a few days to be sure but seems like it might be fixed.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 10, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My N5 wakes me up when the LED flashes, it's so bright I usually turn the LED off completely.
Do you sleep with your phone on your face?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On KitKat the Camera icon was shown in the bottom right and swiping left slid the entire screen over to reveal the camera view. So the icon is still in the same place and the gesture is still identical, it's just the animation that is different.

Consider also that you swipe up to unlock the device which is away from the unlock icon, and swiping down pulls the notification drawer down. This is generally how touch interfaces work: tap, hold, and pull things towards where you started,

If you find it more intuitive you can start the drag from the phone/camera icon and drag it to the middle of the screen, this gives the same result (and is the same gesture just from a different start point).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

It makes logical sense but it'd be difficult to argue that it's good UI.
"It makes logical sense" is a pretty good argument for it being good UX!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that the gesture is good UX but the animation that responds to you doing that kind of sucks. Which is roughly what you are saying.

So, yes. I think.

:) .

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I've read through it multiple times and still can't figure out what's preventing someone from unlocking the bootloader and if necessary flashing the factory image. I mean, if the bootloader is unlockable then there really isn't a way to implement a kill switch that I can think of but I'll admit to lacking imagination in this area.

Does anyone know?
As of Lollipop you can't unlock the bootloader without checking a box within Android (it's in developer tools).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/03/psa-oem-unlock-nexus-6-9-requires-checking-box-developer-options/

I don't have this option on my Nexus 5, which is presumably related to the fact that only new devices (N6/9) are getting this protection feature anyway.

Edit: Rewrote entire post to make actual sense!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 13, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yeah you do. I know it was there when I initially got my N5 but I think it disappears if the bootloader is unlocked.
Didn't you get the N5 back when it was on KitKat? That option definitely did not exist on KitKat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

That was the first thing I looked for when I got it. Diztronic doesn't make Z3c cases. :(
Cruzerlite seem to have some. They use the same manufacturer as Diztronic and I've found them to be good quality in the past.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

That looks really good. I didn't like the design on the back, so I dismissed it out of hand, and now wish I hadn't. Oh well.
Yeah some of their designs are a bit dorky.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that new leak Nexus 5 only, or am I blind? Read through the issue thread and didn't see any other devices mentioned.
I think the Nexus 5 is the only one that has had an OTA. So other than XDA Recognised Flashlords, it's going to account for the large majority of any reported issues.

My N5 has been fine so far but the jury is still out.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Whoops!

So my N5 decided to lock up and reboot. Good thing I went Nexus because I'd rather have a non-functioning phone than deal with TouchWiz or the walled Crapple garden.

Now I'm not saying that this problem doesn't exist (clearly it does since Google already fixed it) but this...

quote:

We explored the forums and noticed that several users are experiencing the problem. “My system clogged up over 800MB today but my phone was not slow and it didn’t redraw and restart apps,” one user, who apparently didn’t experience a crash, said.

...just shows a total lack of understanding about how memory usage works on Android (and Unix-likes in general). That a user doesn't understand this is somewhat reasonable, but that the author thinks this is a meaningful quote says a lot about the quality of the writing on that site.

Also this was already posted a couple of days ago, from a good blog.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

"Set a Reminder" has stopped going to the right prompt in Google Now; it wants me to set an alarm instead of the previous behavior, which was to set a...reminder. Anyone know what keyword I can use to pull up the previous prompt?
Yeah it's a known bug:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/19/bug-watch-google-voice-commands-for-setting-reminders-create-alarms-or-calendar-events-instead/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PinnacleOrBust posted:

Yup, my housemate's red N5 is cracked in exactly the same way as mine, at the bottom of the SIM slot to the screen and at the top of the SIM slot to the back.
Same here, hadn't ever noticed. Thanks LG.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I got betterbatterystats but I can't really use it since my phone is not rooted. Is there a good way to do this on 5.0.2?
Nope, Google decided that you shouldn't be able to see that information for reasons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I saw you can root it, but I don't want to lose anything. Any alternative programs?

I disabled a ton of poo poo that always gave me partial wakelocks on my nexus 4.
The APIs that provide that info are blocked to apps that aren't installed on the system partition. You cannot get it without root (or a third-party ROM obviously, but that's more effort). It doesn't matter what app you install, it simply cannot get the data.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can't do the "two-calls-to-override" thing but I'm pretty sure you could reproduce that with Tasker.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

So since I can't use betterbatterystats on my 5.0.2 moto, any suggestions on apps to disable? I've already disabled quite a few (below). Also should I turn off notifications for all my apps?
I recommend you just turn off your phone, it gives close to infinite battery life and stops all those pesky notifications.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I upgraded my friend's 1st gen Moto G to Lollipop a few weeks ago and he's done nothing but moan ever since. I don't think he likes the keyboard or something.

It was a pay as you go handset without carrier branding. Is there a way I ca flash 4.4.4 back onto it?
You can set the keyboard back to the old Holo theme in the Keyboard settings (long press comma).

My sister also went apeshit over this change because who knows.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 27, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I told him how to do that, he's very non-specific about what he doesn't like other than some of the UI is "different". Can 4.4.4 be obtained from somewhere and flashed onto the device? He's doing my loving head in :smithicide:
Your friend doesn't dislike Lollipop, he dislikes any kind of change. I know because my sister is the same. Just tell him to deal with it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Oh I was just giving an impression.. Monday when I get back to work I can post some screenshots. It just feels like there isn't a unifying language. Nothing is really bad, but the keyboard feels chunky aesthetically compared to say the thin lines of the lock screen. Things like google now cards feel completely clean and nice but not inline with the rest of the aesthetics of say the settings menus.
Did Moto redesign the keyboard and settings menu? I'm struggling to see how this could be describe as "chunky" and not "clean and nice".

Source

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 28, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, my bad, I thought the Moto X had received Lollipop.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I could see it maybe if you were talking the best iPhone right when it came out. You know it will get long term support and have the oomph to make it at least three though that last one or two years (out of five) might get rough.

On a flagship Android phone? Maybe, maybe three years.

On a budget Android phone? The reason the Moto G costs what it does is because it's disposable. Dispose of it and get a new one in a year (or whenever they update the SoC I guess).
The Nexus 4 has probably done as well as anything, it still performs decently and hasn't been crippled by any device-specific issues from updates (that I know of, anyway). It's only two-and-a-half though.

And it certainly wasn't a budget phone but it was drat good value. I picked up two in the end-of-life sale for family members and they are still going great. I can see it lasting another year. Will be interesting to see when Google drop update support for it (and the other 2012 Nexus devices).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 29, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Turnquiet posted:

gently caress, when did this get so hard? It used to be that you could download the SDK and run adb and fastboot out of platform tools, but jesus, nothing is simple anymore. gently caress it all, time to let the update come to me in Google's own time. I ain't got time for this poo poo anymore.
The process of setting up and using ADB has not changed in any significant way since Android launched. You probably downloaded Android Studio when what you actually wanted was the "SDK Tools Only" download, the link for which is location further down the page.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The latter two should be done properly from the cloud like Apple does. It's still a major weakness of Android. When I interviewed at Google they asked me what one thing I would add to Android and this was my answer. Lollipop made it slightly better on the backup/restore side but it's still not reliable enough.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also you could have just turned off voicemail notifications in Light Flow instead of uninstalling the entire thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I need it for work though.
You needed Light Flow uninstalled for work? I'm not following.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thermophysical needs voicemail notifications for work, so turning off the voicemail notification box in lightflow is not an acceptable solution.
How does uninstalling Light Flow produce a better result?

I mean, this is a stupid conversation that doesn't really matter and I'm obviously missing something, I'm just intrigued at this point.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

5.1.1 has started showing up in the SDK manager.

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/02/android-5-1-1/

Maybe THIS is what the N9 is waiting for.
I'm not sure if there's any historical basis for this but could it just be a tools/dev fix? I know that it includes a fix for this issue that I reported, for example, which isn't a thing that requires any device-side changes.

Edit:
Yep.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 2, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

If only the market could be used in the emulated environment. I actually only need to buy the app, download it, and get the APK. I need to decompile it.
You don't know anyone with an Android phone?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

w00tazn posted:

I'm pretty sure you need root to grab apks off the filesystem from Market.
Nope, you can just ADB pull them. Root would only be needed if you wanted to write to that folder.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yep that's an AT&T/Samsung thing, enjoy. I found a friend an app that intercepts longpresses and maps them to regular presses to mitigate the issue but until Samsung gets better at software you'll just live with it and like it.
The post is saying that the button acts like it is being long pressed even when it isn't. That isn't normal, even for a Samsung garbage phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Out of curiosity I pulled the app down (I sure as poo poo didn't run it) and put it through apktool. The author had run most of it through proguard, it looks like, but it's so simple the obfuscation didn't really mean anything.

As best as I can tell, it just gets your location a few times (thankfully doesn't send it anywhere) and vibrates the motor. Oh, yeah, and it shows a bunch of Admob ads, which seems to be the primary purpose of the app. Combined with the cargo culty XDA type stuff like "plug in your phone and have it at 100%" to make it sound like it's actually doing Something Important. Any perceived battery life improvement is from turning off your GPS and all your sync adapters afterwards for good "as prescribed," crippling your phone.
I was too lazy to do it, glad someone did, results were even better (worse) than I expected.

Well at least LIL knows that his icon-based app-rating system works :) .

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As far as i understand, "Developer edition" just means the bootloader can be (but need not be) unlocked

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My N5 battery drain is infuriating. Whenever the phone is off WiFi it just tanks, I have to carry a battery pack around with me because it'll be dead after 5-6 hours. Doesn't matter how good the signal is and BetterBatteryStats doesn't give me any useful details. But sat on WiFi it 's perfect, I leave it overnight and it'll lose like 1% an hour. How can this be a thing? :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Would it be stupid to go Nexus 6 + 10 in 2015? The N6 sounds like a great phone and has the 2k screen I really want, but I'm considering a Windows tablet since no dual OS options seem to have hit the States.
Some other goons claim to have no such problems but my N10 mostly performs like garbage despite having basically nothing installed, and I'm not the only person to report that. Loading/switching apps takes a few seconds and interactions sometimes lag up for a second or two (especially the keyboard). I could factory reset it but general reports are that this doesn't help. May be deterioration of the flash memory or something, I don't really know. Also people have quite subjective definitions of "laggy", like there are people who think TouchWiz from a couple of years ago was smooth, so horses for courses and all that. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend buying a N10 at this point. It's also most likely also close to end-of-life in terms of updates, I can't really imagine it'll make it past 5.1 but it has one more in it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

But I guess "I just don't understand", and not having the newest firmware update would open me up to heinous security holes that wouldn't even loving effect me because I'm not an idiot who clicks on any prompt or downloads shady .apks.
If you ever use SSL you really do want security updates.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 18, 2015