Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Civil posted:

Yeah, but it's kind of discontinued, and the price is usually well north of $200 when you do find it.

The XT1053 is the best Moto X to get, because it has full support for both Tmo and AT&T on 3G and LTE bands. The XT1058 is usually easier to find, and works fine on AT&T, but is missing 1700Mhz for Tmo HSPA (where LTE isn't available yet).

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-32GB-Developer-Edition/dp/B00HOKAKYU/

I have 2013 Moto X that I am no longer using, but it was through Sprint. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

5436 posted:

Hopefully Lollipop will come in 2-3 weeks.

Lollipop is the first time you should be hoping your phone doesn't get updated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A lot of people got soured on lollipop because it's initial release was very buggy, and then it was delayed for weeks on a lot of Google devices, defeating one of the key selling points of buying a Google device in the first place, having the latest version of Android as soon as it's available.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ijyt posted:

I thought 5.0 was already out in some EU countries like Poland?

But on which phones? Most Android phones out now in the U.S. will never get Lollipop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Wow, real helpful. The guy wants to type on his 5" phone with a full sized keyboard during meetings, and you come up with this?

You can't use a keyboard on a phone. It just doesn't work. There are alternatives designed for this very thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, and it updated to Lollipop and now the light to indicate I have notifications no longer works. How do I enable that again?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

Settings -> Display -> LED Indicator

LED Indicator is turned on. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Okay then Phone -> Garbage -> Don't buy a Samsung

This advice actually worked. Thanks. :homebrew:

In all seriousness, I would not have bought Samsung if it wasn't for the great deal I got on this phone, and Sprint only carries Samsung and iPhone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizbang posted:

A Samsung and on Sprint? You done hosed up, son.

Should have kept my 2012 Moto X.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dissss posted:

That came out in late 2013 (unless you mean Droid X or some such nonsense)

Anyway on my LG (which has similarly lovely software) there is a tickbox under Display - Notification LED - Downloaded apps that you need to check to allow non-LG apps to use the LED so have a hunt through the menus for anything that looks similar. Also Lollipop's 'Do not disturb' mode seems to stop the LED from working so make sure that's switched off.

Sorry, 2013 Moto X. The first gen one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I posted earlier in this thread about the notification LED being broken on Samsung Galaxy S5 phones on Sprint. This issue can't be fixed because Samsung's update disabled the LED light. What dummies. Sprint says it's a known issue that is being worked out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SB35 posted:

Samsung'd!

Pretty much. :/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Desk Lamp posted:

Considering how some Nexus devices have fared, it could be worse if your only problem is a glitch with the notification LED.

Yeah pretty much. Android software has been dropping the ball hardcore lately. A lot of people freak out about wanting software updates NOW NOW NOW, so phone manufacturers rush out these updates and then it breaks features on their phones. I knew in the back of my head that I shouldn't have agreed to let my phone update, but it was going to force it on me anyways, that's what it did last time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

You never answered my question as to whether Light Flow works. I would have to imagine it would at least in root mode if nothing else.

I'm sorry! I promise I didn't see it. :( I installed the lite version and will report back. I'm probably gonna buy the premium version if this works because the Lite version doesn't work with a ton of apps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LastInLine posted:

The Lite version also has the old, super confusing UI but in this case we can see if it works before you put down money.

Honestly if Light Flow can activate the LED at all with a test notification it's almost certain it can replace the notification framework and do what you'd like. Samsungs at least at some point had incorrect color values for their LED so you might have to gently caress around with colors to get them the way you want (like you put orange and it lights up purple). There's a FAQ about it on the developer's site.

Of course if Light Flow can't trigger the LED at all then there's probably nothing you can do without root.

The test didn't work. Have to wait for Samsung to fix it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where did the trend come from where people don't understand the battery life graph on their phone, and mistake it for useful information? Software updates can't just magically make your battery more powerful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hooah posted:

I don't anyone thinks such a thing. However, software updates can improve idle drain and other related battery uses, thus improving battery life (not power).

Maybe a couple minutes at most though. Not an entire extra day like the click-bait heavy Android fansites will claim while receiving free phones from manufacturers.

Guillermus posted:

But kicking touchwiz out from your device surely can :mrgw:

Not having touchwiz will also improve your mental health cause you're no longer driven mad by bad software.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 22, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No MicroSD slot or removable battery on the Galaxy S6, makes me feel a-okay about getting my Galaxy S5 in December. The hardware improvements won't matter, and the software will still be the same buggy mess that it always is from Samsung. So not missing anything with the S6.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hace posted:

But it's got a 577ppi display!!! So many pixels!!!

Phones are such a gigantic mess right now. It's just about making the numbers slightly higher every year while offering zero actual improvements. For all of the bloatware my S5 has, i've never used any of the features on it. If Samsung really wants to wow their users, release an option update to go pure Android.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hace posted:

I mean yeah there's totally stagnation going on right, but the answer isn't offering stock android because that would only "wow" tech blogs and forums posters.

Normal people don't use their phone for anything other then texting.

Actually, there's three kind of phone users:
1.) texting only
2.) texting and social media apps
3.) us and other users out there who only want pure android.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a lovely Samsung Galaxy S5 from Sprint loaded to the brim with bloatware that is impossible to remove. So tonight I ordered the Pixel XL. Can't wait to get my phone and be done with Sprint.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samsung is fine, people will forget about the exploding Note 7 by the time the Note 8 rolls around. No one outside of internet forums gives a poo poo. If this were the iPhone though, that would be a totally different story, there would be congressional hearings that Tim Cook would have to attend and everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moey posted:

Pixel XL 128 arrives tomorrow according to FedEx.

What the gently caress? I ordered mine October 5th and my credit card still hasn't been charged.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Duggler posted:

I was excited to get it, but the more I read about it it just seems like the consensus is that its really overpriced

It sounds like the Pixel line is the fastest Android phones to date, possibly the fastest smartphones right now. They are premium flagship phones and it seems like far too many people do not realize that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know why anyone would want a Samsung phone of any kind at this point. Compared to other phones, they are painfully slow and weak for hardware and what you are paying for. Samsung needs to strip out their bloatware because I am positive that is what is killing their performance.

I am so happy to get rid of my Galaxy S5 this week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

wasn't there a phone a year or so ago with only one camera but it was on a hinge and would swing front or back?

:eyepop: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2973680/phones/huaweis-new-smartphone-has-an-180-degree-rotating-camera.html

This is the same company that is releasing a $1300 smartphone this year too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got my Pixel XL today. Thank you for reading my post, everyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can tell a lot of people are activating their phones tonight, Google Play is slow as poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sereri posted:

So, someone wrote a few pages ago that the Pixel definitely wasn't a A9 because some parts are different. And I guess they were technically correct (the best kind of correct). However they probably still took over an HTC phone, just an unfinished one.

Ooh jesus christ, these sites will grasp at anything for easy clicks. I dunno, the narrative of this article just seems so pointless and stupid. This is a dumb thing to write about. The phone is fantastic and implying it had a rushed development cycle when we live in the year of the Note 7 is laughable. Rushed implies the phone isn't good, period. It's a fantastic phone and so far no one has spotted any serious flaws. How the phone was made doesn't mean anything when it's this good, people are only looking for answers when a product drops the ball in a horrible way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am in love with my Pixel XL and I am going to have sex with it. This is such an amazing phone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have the Google Pixel XL and its connection to my WiFi router is very slow. Router is the Comcast Dual-Band Wifi 802.11ac XB3. Is there anything I can try? I don't understand what is going on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try downloading a WiFi Analyzer app and seeing how crowded your current channel is. Even if it isn't overused, try another less busy channel.

I downloaded an analyzer, but I am not sure how to read it. It says I am on channel 6 and it is -30 is that bad? I am looking at my router settings and not finding where I can change the channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Channel 6 means you're on 2.4 ghz. You want to make sure you are on 5 ghz. The easiest way to do this is create 2 different wireless networks, one strictly for 5 ghz and one strictly for 2.4 ghz for your older devices to connect to.

My router shows that I have a 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ frequency band. I changed channels on the 2.4GHZ band and now my phone won't connect to my router.