Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

deong posted:

Did you try clearing the old connection and starting fresh? Also just currious, is this a wifi portal or do you have ms-chap2 etc?

I did another factory reset and it sorted itself out. It was a portal, even if that's no longer relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

Fingerprint gestures on my Pixel seem to do nothing. Is there a setting for that buried somewhere?

Yes, you have to turn it on. read that in a review but I don't have my Pixel yet so I can't tell you where.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes, you have to turn it on. read that in a review but I don't have my Pixel yet so I can't tell you where.

Settigns -> Moves is where all that is "hidden" in 7.1

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Do any phones still have notification lights?
The OP3 does

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rusty! posted:

Night mode was "removed" in the second or third preview of 7.0 (although it's easily accessible if required). 7.1 is meant to bring it back at some point.

Oh, yeah. I was one of those lucky people who never lost it for whatever reason.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

7.1 developer preview for 5X, 6P and Pixel C should be rolling out. Unenroll your devices if you enrolled to get 7.0 without the delay.

Have they mentioned if 7.1 fixes the bricking issue on the 5x?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone care about the status of my device order?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Don't tease us like that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You know I do!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I care, spray it on me

e: why did my phone correct "lay" to "spray" what the gently caress

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Tell me, I'm so close

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Upgraded from a Note 4 to the Pixel. So nice. I'm discovering all the nice things you can do with the fingerprint scan including unlocking my keepass database.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

Have they mentioned if 7.1 fixes the bricking issue on the 5x?

Its a hardware issue, so no

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My expected delivery date (silver XL) is 10/26-28 but it's still listed as processing. So the charge shows as pending on my card until they ship.

technocr4t
Jun 3, 2014
I ordered a 128GB Black regular Pixel on Oct 18 and it was delivered today. Got mine from Verizon because I wanted it soon and have no interest in unlocking the bootloader anyway.

The wait for quitting time is annoying...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Nerds, assemble.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Can someone post pics of the included headphones?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Moey posted:

Nerds, assemble.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They must have forgot to put them in the box.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

:golfclap:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I'm going to pick up a Pixel XL tomorrow how retarded am I?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

The Duggler posted:

I'm going to pick up a Pixel XL tomorrow how retarded am I?

Super retarded, you should let me buy it off you instead.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Super retarded, you should let me buy it off you instead.

I was excited to get it, but the more I read about it it just seems like the consensus is that its really overpriced

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

The Duggler posted:

I was excited to get it, but the more I read about it it just seems like the consensus is that its really overpriced

Yeah it's expensive as poo poo, but widely reported to be "the best Android phone ever" so if you can afford it I'd say go for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I went on a USB-C buying binge based on Nathan K's and Benson Leung's accessory sheet here:

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/1PJZT2g61Ag

Everything (except the Pixel OEM charger) arrived today. So I'll be in good shape when my Pixel finally arrives on Monday.

I picked up a bunch of C-C cables, A-C cables, and C to microUSB. The thought on the later is I still have battery packs that charge via microUSB. So, If I want to charge them on the road and don't want to bring a USB A charger, I needed that cable.

The two noteworthy things I picked up were the Belkin 27W car charger and the Verizon USB-C QC 3.0 rapid charger. Suprisingly, even though neither of those two guys like non-standards charging, they still gave the Verizon charger a 3 rating due to the fact that it handles the USB-PD spec properly.

The Belkin Charger is the same one that google sells on their store page. It's noteworthy feature is the 9v/3a output which will allow the Pixel to charge at full speed (drawing 9v/2a). The thing feels pretty solid and quality. It's a simple understated design that should blend in with a car's interior. I appreciate the matte finish vs shiny plastic. It's slightly larger than I would like, but other than that it's great. Included cable seems pretty nice. The ends are molded rather than crimped so they should stand up better in the long term.

The real star is the Verizon wall charger.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/verizon-usb-type-c-wall-charger-with-fast-charge-technology/

It pretty much supports any standard.

Standard output: 5V/3A (15 watts)
Power Delivery output: 5V/3A, 7V/3A, 8V/3A, 9V/2.7A, 12V/2A (24 watts)
Quick Charge™ output: 5V/3A, 9V/2.7A, 12V/2A (24 watts)

So, not only will it charge the Pixel at full speed, it will charge larger devices (like the Pixel C) at 24 watts. It also supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. I used one of the C to microA cables with my MXP and Turbocharging kicked in. So, it will pretty much charge anything at max rate. Physically, it's a pretty big charger (but all of the PD chargers seem to be pretty big). It's very very built. Something I didn't see on the product page but was happy to discover it had was fordable prongs. The cable is also extremely high quality. It has molded ends as well instead of crimped and there's a good amount of strain relief. It seems to be the perfect travel charger, one charger to rule them and folding prongs to boot.

Verizon also makes a car charger with the same sort of support. The only downside with the car charger is the captive cable. I may end up picking that up for my other car based on how nice the wall charger is. I did grab a really cheap USB-C adapter (that Benson gave his seal of approval to) but it can only do 5v/3A. That was before I found any 9v3a adapters. Quick chargers make the most sense in the car since a simple half hour drive can come pretty close to topping off a phone, so I would rather have a higher power adapter than standard 5v/3A

USB-C is still a bit of a minefield due to so much crap not following standards, but there seems to be a decent amount of stuff out there now. I would say the only category that's lacking is battery packs. However, you can just use a regular pack with a compliant A-C cable and get up to 2.4a of charging (depending on what the pack supports.)

Hopefully, before too much longer, there will be 18w C battery packs (that aren't junk.)

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Any idea what kind of time frame we are looking at before some of the higher quality USB-C stuff becomes reasonably cheap? Pixel XL will be my first USB-C device and I'm not trying to spend another $150-200 just yet to buy another charger, car charger and a few spare cables. Maybe I'll just wait and see if anything pops up for cyber monday/black friday.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh hey my Pixel XL shipped. It's arriving Monday.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
The Pixel has really impressed me. The low touch latency is probably the best thing about it that isn't being widely discussed and it rivals my iPhone 7 in terms of perceived responsiveness which in turn makes the phone feel even quicker than it already is. I'm typing this with about 7% battery left with 10 hours unplugged from a full charge and just over 4 hours of SOT. This figure isn't bad and actually better than I was expecting considering it's my first day with the phone getting it set up and settling in, along with the fact that I've been tinkering with it a lot more than I normally will once I get over the new phone period (5" version).

Since the iPhone 4 days I've always wanted a pure Android phone in an iPhone body. This idea has evolved as I've gotten used to the specific strengths that you can expect from different manufacturers and mobile OS platforms. Some Android phones have come close but this is the first android phone that I've used (and I've had a lot) that really combines the speed, responsiveness, battery life, ergonomics, and camera ability that one would expect from an iPhone, but with none of the compromises that you usually have to accept with an android device. Google finally seems to have cared about and figured out some of the intangibles that make using the phone a better experience, above the spec sheets and feature list, and I'm very happy with it thus far.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Its a hardware issue, so no

So why don't they brick on 6.0?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

100% Dundee posted:

Any idea what kind of time frame we are looking at before some of the higher quality USB-C stuff becomes reasonably cheap? Pixel XL will be my first USB-C device and I'm not trying to spend another $150-200 just yet to buy another charger, car charger and a few spare cables. Maybe I'll just wait and see if anything pops up for cyber monday/black friday.

While I'm sure there might be some inflation being that it's the "new" standard, think about it from a different perspective.

You are going to be using these accessories to charge $800 micro bombs while they are sitting next to your bed while sleeping or when you are in a confined space full of flammable materials and liquids. You are also going to use these accessories for quite a few years to come.

Spend a bit more, buy what's tested as good. A couple of $30 chargers and $15 cables isn't going to break the bank.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The Duggler posted:

It all comes down to build quality, all reports point to Pixel build quality being a step above Nexus-shoddy and the price should reflect that.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Flash dies when you write to it, updating your system image writes a whole lot.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You can get $6 cables USB C to A that are within spec. You can use them safely with your old chargers, it just won't charge as quick as a new charger.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Duggler posted:

It sounds like the Pixel line is the fastest Android phones to date, possibly the fastest smartphones right now. They are premium flagship phones and it seems like far too many people do not realize that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

possibly the fastest smartphones right now
Nah Apple's SoCs still runs circles around the 820/821. What they get on a per-core basis is absurd. We've reached a point of diminishing returns though where it doesn't matter that much for everyday usability.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I really want/need a new phone, my Note 3 is getting old and slow, plus the speaker is broken so everything sounds wrong out of it. Problem is, my next phone was going to be the Note 7, which isn't going to happen now.

I was thinking pixel but then the whole not waterproof, not fastest processor crap started and I am at a loss at to what to get.

I found a video showing that you can leave the phone in water for half an hour and it will still work, so that is a plus, I am wondering if there are any better android phones out there than the Pixel?

I'm considering the 128GB version of the Pixel XL, as I like lots of storage. I can afford to wait, so maybe next year is going to offer up something better?

Said video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhMgCT-Rzw

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

As I said last time, if the software on 2 phones is identical, but one gets bricked, its a hardware issue, just as they have stated multiple times

You really think if it was a fix that could be done in software they'd be replacing hardware under warranty at much greater cost?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hamelekim posted:

I really want/need a new phone, my Note 3 is getting old and slow, plus the speaker is broken so everything sounds wrong out of it. Problem is, my next phone was going to be the Note 7, which isn't going to happen now.

I was thinking pixel but then the whole not waterproof, not fastest processor crap started and I am at a loss at to what to get.

I found a video showing that you can leave the phone in water for half an hour and it will still work, so that is a plus, I am wondering if there are any better android phones out there than the Pixel?

I'm considering the 128GB version of the Pixel XL, as I like lots of storage. I can afford to wait, so maybe next year is going to offer up something better?

Said video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhMgCT-Rzw

Look at the Jerry Rig Everything video. I wouldn't put that phone in water at all.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PerrineClostermann posted:

Look at the Jerry Rig Everything video. I wouldn't put that phone in water at all.

Phone looks pretty solidly built, other than the cloth covering the speaker. Seems like a bad idea but in practice probably isn't an issue?

I guess the only question is whether to wait until it is in stock in the google store, or buy it from Rogers. Probably never going to give up my plan with them, so not too big of an issue but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hamelekim posted:

Phone looks pretty solidly built, other than the cloth covering the speaker. Seems like a bad idea but in practice probably isn't an issue?

I guess the only question is whether to wait until it is in stock in the google store, or buy it from Rogers. Probably never going to give up my plan with them, so not too big of an issue but still.

Did you see what happens when it's put under stress? Any seam that was tightly closed is "broken". The phone is not made for water.