Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RZA Encryption posted:

Which apps would you change, and what color would you change them to?

Gmail being red gives me an anxity attack that I have to read all my email RIGHT NOW, hangouts being green makes me a little nauseous. I would like a pastel color pallet, is that too much to ask. It wouldn't even be a huge thing to implement, all the apps using the material design have to support changing the top bar, just expand on that to allow a theme manager to set the color of the app. Oh if its not needed on android why is it needed in windows? We should all use the same wallpaper while we're at it. Its a phone not a computer so deal with it isn't the answer either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Hello pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

I think his point was that it isn't necessarily harmless from either a coding perspective or a branding perspective.

I'd add that from a UI/UX perspective it sounds like it would be a nightmare to have a system-level mechanism for managing the colors of every app on the device.

I can't believe you people are worried about branding and pissing of marketing people. Did you get your phone for free in a sponsorship deal? You love your corporate overloads that much you are afraid of offending them?

Do you think windows had such a problem implementing a theme system? You can change the window frame color and adjust transparency with very little difficulty in windows. Now that apps are trying to conform to the material design specs you think they are not going to add OS wide themes in a future android release? Its only a matter of time until this option is available and what are you going to say then?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

Also, how the gently caress do you spell "themeing".

I don't know that's why I just said theme. Anyway, mainstream themeing is going to happen so hold onto your suspenders, nerds.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

quote:

My only concern is that some sites might be a little obnoxious by turning your status bar some awful color.

What's next changing apps' colors with a simple control panel?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Present posted:

Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular

this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks

I think you answered your own question.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

VodeAndreas posted:

Good to hear that the N6 works alright with the Tylt Vu, I'm working on tracking one down at the moment, I had a quick look at what's available in stores near me but all there really is is the Nokia DT-900 which is overpriced for what I'd be getting, may as well spend a bit extra for the Vu.

I use the DT-900 with my N5 and it works great. I got it when ATT had a special deal for accessories online, it was basically buy 3 for the price of one. They work great but not sure I would pay that for one. No idea how it works with the N6.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT-900-Wireless-Charging-Plate/dp/B00A3NCC5K

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RVProfootballer posted:

and all the software issues that come with Cyanogen.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanogen
Cyanogen is the chemical compound with the formula (CN)2. It is a colorless, toxic gas with a pungent odor.

Strangely fitting, isn't it?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 23, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

bull3964 posted:

KitKat. Your phone is running KitKat, not Jellybean :)

Better catch it before it gets away.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

joepinetree posted:

Just wanted to reply to this because i found the culprit. Commute sharing was on on google now, and since i went on the road trips straight after work google now kept broadcasting as if I was on my commute home. That was what ate up so much data.

Christ that sucks, whats the fix for the future?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ashex posted:

Does the Wifi usage stay on with Lollipop for anyone else? I turn off Wifi and it still shows as being used, I have it turned off for Location too so it's not being randomly turned on by that. It's in continuous usage.

Yes, from the last thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583699&pagenumber=589#lastpost

quote:

Stop turning off wifi or don't join networks you're only going to use occasionally. Leaving it on has a negligible negative impact to battery life.

Its broken is all I can figure.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

withoutclass posted:

I think this has to do with having scanning always enabled even if WiFi is off (check the advanced section of WiFi settings).

No, thats disabled too.

quote:

Running 5.0.1 on nexus 5. I turn off wifi but in the battery stats it still shows as being on, solid bar no breaks. Whats the deal with that? In kitkat when I turned off wifi it would stop showing up in battery stats as turned on. I have scanning while turned off disabled in wifi settings.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thermopyle posted:

There's nothing broken to fix.

I meant how can you fix it in the future if you leave work and go on a road trip. Is there a way to turn it off or stop it from doing that?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ashex posted:

I guess I'll just leave it on, I've been having battery issues since upgrading to Lollipop (did a clean wipe) so I'm checking everything I can. Battery stats are useless so I'm going to root and use BetterBatteryStats instead.

My nexus 5 after a year would only get about 2 hours of screen on time before dying. I called google support and they offered to replace it free of charge, free shipping both ways. If you have a nexus under warranty and its close to a year old you might want to exchange it. My new phone is not a refurb as far as I can tell and the battery life is back to normal.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Might try anyway, they might do it as a one time courtesy.

I think they recently shut down production, but either way it looked brand new, very clean. It did come in a plain white box but other than that it looked fresh.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
You could also buy a new battery and replace it yourself.

http://www.amazon.de/Akku-intern-BL-T9-Google-Nexus/dp/B00HYN1QIG/

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

So what is the best tethering app on the play store for letting my droid phone act as a mobile hotspot without paying verizon a bajillion dollars to let me use my data?

FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=en

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

As long as you do initial setup without the SIM in, yes. If you're rooted you can also just remove everything in the /oem partition.

Or just use the phone as the manufacturer/oem intended and stop being a sperg.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

When I tried to use this I got a message saying "Your carrier has blocked wifi in the latest phone update". Any suggestions?

Sorry, I have root on my phone. I only mention that app as my gf used it before and it worked for her on verizon non-rooted LG3.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ochowie posted:

I hate to do this, but I might "rent" the N6 from Best Buy and see if it really is too big. My main concern is that the 6+ sticks out of the pocket of some of my jeans so the N6 might be way too big. The Moto stuff along with Moto Maker is what keeps pulling me towards the X.

Just tape your current phone to a cardboard cutout equal in size to the n6 and use that to test.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

ilkhan posted:

Or you should have lived with the dumbass startup screen which you MIGHT see once a month.
I mean, I understand rooting a Nexus, its easy and fast. But why bother relocking it?

he's a sperglord.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

High accuracy.
High accuracy mode uses GPS, Wi-Fi, cellular networks, and other sensors to get the highest-accuracy location for your device. It uses Google's location service to help estimate your location faster and more accurately.

Battery saving.
Battery saving mode estimates your location using low battery-intensive location sources, such as Wi-Fi and cellular networks. It uses Google's location service to help estimate your location faster and more accurately.

Device only.
Device only mode estimates your location using GPS only. It doesn’t use Google's location service to provide location information. This mode may use more battery power and take longer to determine your location.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3467281?hl=en

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 8, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

TraderStav posted:

"my dick" pics

or

my "dick pics"

This is important.

Prolly a little a both...

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just got an update to the google now launcher via the play store on my Nexus 5 running 5.0.1. Do you think they will be able to fix the memory leak with a google play update? I hear they can push almost any type of system change via google play. Confirm/deny

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Tunga posted:

In addition to the other answers, Google Now Launcher is not the same thing as Google Play Services anyway.

Who said it was? I said they are able to update core components via google play, eg the google now launcher. Perhaps they could also patch the memory leak by updating the offending app or service.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RZA Encryption posted:

Holy crap, I bet they hadn't thought of that! You'd better write an email to the team so they can get right on it. Them not knowing about this possibility is surely the only reason it hasn't been fixed yet!

Sipping on that sperg juice again?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Insane Totoro posted:

In the $200-$350 range for unlocked phones, brand new, our options are still basically:

-Nexus 5
-2013 Moto X
-Moto G

Or am I missing anything obvious?

No more brand new nexus 5 from google play store.

We are out of inventory. Please check back soon.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I got a problem with smart lock and trusted locations. It forgets the location if I use my home address from google maps settings. It works for a bit then it stops, I go back to smart lock settings and it shows as the location is turned off. I added a custom places for the address next door to my house and it works great, never forgets it and don't have to turn it back on. Why?

My bluetooth trusted devices always work fine. Only the google maps location used for trusted places has a problem. Anyone else seen this?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skeezy posted:

Kinda wish I could edit in the sources it pulls from. Like I want Now to pull Android news but not from Christian News or IBTimes

No poo poo, its like hey can we get the daily mail and weekly world news too?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I noticed that hangouts voicemail will play the message via the speaker instead of the headset. WTF!? There is no option to change it either. How does anyone put up with this?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/segifVIj8_I

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

GTJustin posted:

I hope this is the right thread, I'm having problems getting Google Authenticator set-up on my phone, I had already set it up on my phone but did a fresh Lollipop install, and now I'm stuck getting 2-step verification to complete.

1. Open Google Authenticator on phone, Begin setup
2. Available google accounts -> mygmail@gmail.com gives "Continue on a computer, To enable 2-step verification for your Google Account, please visit accounts.google.com/security on a computer."
3. Go to accounts.google.com/security which redirects to https://myaccount.google.com/, 2-step verification is enabled, I go through the Security checkup and everything is set up.
4. Go back to Google Authenticator and hit Begin setup, same lovely message to enable 2-step verificaiton for your Google Account.

I turned my phone off, uninstalled Google Authenticator, took off 2-step verification. I'm out of ideas here, please help

Not sure what your problem is but you should use this app since it allows you to backup your 2fa data. Makes wiping your phone and reinstalling much easier.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mufri.authenticatorplus

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I also have the Facebook and Facebook messenger apps, should I ditch those?

Yes

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I have so much grip tape on my phone I can't even get it out of my pocket.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Thanatosian posted:

I can't get a Droid Turbo to connect to Office 365. Activesync is on, it's only the one phone having a problem, and it's saying it's unable to connect to server. It should be autodiscovering it no problem; anyone else had a similar issue? Microsoft has so far not been helpful.

EDIT: Specifically, the Office 365 Hosted Exchange.

Uh wrong thread, you want the O365 hosted exchange support thread.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Flashin dirty on the N5 and 5.1 got root back, everything is good.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hadlock posted:

My company wants me to give up my company issued blackberry and run something called GOOD Technology on my personal phone as a way to save the company money to the tune of $60 a month + not having to pay to replace the blackberry when it inevitably breaks. I'm required to carry this device with me at all times as a condition of my job.

This sounds dumb for a number of reasons, shortened list here

1. this puts the financial burden on me with no compensation
2. i buy my devices outright, it's not carrier subsidized or insured
3. running someone else's software on my personal phone doing who knows what
4. who pays for my phone when it invariably breaks?
5. my blackberry has about 5 days of standby time, my android device has about 1 if I'm lucky, it usually needs to suckle from the wall teat after 18 hours, and I go camping, etc away from power sources at least 2x a month

Does this sound reasonable to you? How do you handle this?

Side note, this is a Large Company with deep pockets, recently acquired by a Larger Company with Very Deep Pockets; not a mom and pop shop.

Capitalism sucks huh

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hadlock posted:

That was kind of my plan, however literally last week they just gave me a 20% raise/promotion on top of an already fair salary, this squabble represents a little more than 1% of my gross income if I did my math right.

You should quit the job, its the principle. Whos going to stand up to these fat cats? Stalin must be rollin in his grave.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How come the google now card for stocks only displays during business hours? After 3pm PST it doesn't show up. I used to be able to refresh the google now screen and it would show back up but now it won't show up until the next business day. WTF I need to know if I am poor or rich today! nexus 5 on 5.1.1

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyone waiting for the 2015 nexus 5? I hear its going to be released when M is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I got my n5 warranty replaced last year for battery failure, its been running great since then. I'm just excited for the new features I hear about like finger print scanner, 20mpx camera with laser auto focus.