Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

why does ultra power saving mode suck so bad? I can add Facebook & G+ as vital apps but can't add things that might actually be useful like, say email or planner.

Just use normal power saving mode with grey-scale on if you really need it. It'll be more adequate.

UPSM disables your LTE too, it's for if you get lost in the woods basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've got Lollipop on my Note 4 if anyone cares to know anything about it. I think I can answer most anything without getting in any poo poo, aside from showing you my IMEI.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When's it coming out?

Not sure. This build seems fairly close to completion if it was released Internally

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 31, 2015

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Rastor posted:

Does the amount of TouchWiz-ness seem reduced or about the same?

Define TWness? It's almost identical to pictures and videos that I've seen of 5.0 on S5 devices except the Note specific apps like S Planner and S Note look more Materialish. The colors are more consistent than previously it seems

The settings screen and a few others have been changed but the most noticeable difference so far is just how fast it is. I didn't have any complaints before about the Note 4 responsiveness but it's certainly seen a hike.

ruby, it's a North American Snapdragon variant.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Rusty! posted:

Probably not, they stripped multiuser support out of tablets.

Multi user works fine on the Tab S though?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've had dozens of devices, primarily Samsung, unlocked and never experienced that. It's likely unrelated and coincidental.

Try a factory reset, it'll keep the unlock.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Probably because they sell a hell of a lot more.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

has wayyyy too many ppi. I'm anxiously awaiting battery life tests.

The Note 4's 2k screen was much better on battery than the Note 3's 1080p screen and looked substantially better as well. There's no reason to suspect the S6 would be any different.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've had an S6 edge for about 3 weeks and also have a Note 4. The S6's battery isn't as good as a Note 4 and anyone who says it does last as long is a liar. That being said, it's plenty good enough and charges ridiculously fast.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Also if I'm not mistaken the Note Edge was announced prior to the iPhone 6 reveal and was your usual mess of plastic, removable batteries, and TouchWiz bullshit whereas the Galaxy S6's huge innovation was removing 40% of the "features" in TouchWiz and blatantly copying the iPhone. So one's a plastic pile of poo poo and the other looks and feels like a premium product which seems to line up with all the reviews. I do find it amusing that all of the reviews also have a line in there to the effect that TouchWiz is better, worse than stock Android but better than it was. Meaning that Samsung had the choice of doing absolutely nothing which was free or doing anything else and making things worse and it's no surprise which choice they made.

You're almost a caricature of an androidcirclejerker at this point

The edge doesn't really do much as others have said. It looks different and has some feeds but there isn't any one or two features to justify the $100 premium imo. That being said it does look very pretty.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

Neither the Note 4 nor the Note Edge are plastic.

The Note Edge is definitely plastic

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Note Edge was openly marketed as an early adopters limited edition device. I think only a million were even made. I haven't seen a single one in public outside of my own, anecdotal as that may be.

Anyone hoping for enormous app support was bound be to be let down.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

swampface posted:

My S4 just updated to lollipop last night and now the messaging notifications don't actually have the message in them anymore:

"Messaging: New message" isn't the most helpful notification. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it time to just move to a better texting app?

It's in the settings for the messaging app itself.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

Here's the cracked screen. Kinda looks like a hosed up 16 legged spider. At least the LCD and digitizer appear to be unharmed.

(click for huge)

Also I didn't appreaciate how much better the S6's camera is until I went back to the N5 for this shot.

Sent you a PM about this

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Panniculus Rift posted:

So I'm hoping someone here can help me with a little android -related problem. I bought a Galaxy S5 about a week ago and have been very happy with it, until I installed a software update yesterday. Now I get a popup saying "unfortunately, the process android.phone.com has stopped working" literally every 10 loving seconds. This is truly unfortunate, since my phone is now practically useless; I can't make a call because it will be disconnected within seconds, and anything else I might use the phone for will be interrupted constantly.

Of course, there's no option to roll back the update (not that I've found at least). I've found a program called Odin, which supposedly can be used to reinstall updates and mess around inside your phone, but I'm having problems finding a reliable place where I download the update files . Of course, software updates for smart phones are not available on samsung's own web sites, because people are supposed to throw away smart phones, not fix them I guess.

Find your carrier's firmware on Sam Mobile. It's the only semi reputable place for it.

I'd force a factory reset from the recovery screen before doing that though, turn the phone off and hold Volume up + home + power then cycle through to Wipe/factory reset phone and hit the power key to okay it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Does it charge or just maintain?

I have the Samsung Qi charger, which is likely the same for power as the Tylt, with my S6. If I'm using GPS it generally just maintains it but if I'm streaming a video or the screen is merely on, it definitely does charge it. As mentioned it can get warm when charging through Qi and being used in sunlight but I used mine yesterday in 30ish Celsius with the sun beating on my phone without any overheating issues.

Wireless charging in the car is definitely an unnecessary commodity but it sure is nice not to have to plug my phone in and mount it every time.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

myron cope posted:

Since we're talking about Qi charging, one time (I think only once) I put my phone on my Tylt Vu for charging overnight and when I woke up it was super warm and also not charged. Did I just set it down wrong on there? It only happened the once and I charge it every night so I guess it's not defective or anything, but it was kinda strange.

It happens to mine sometimes. It seems like it charges to full and then just stops without trickle charging back up, waking up with 95%. As mentioned I'm using an S6 but I've noticed it with a couple Qi pads, including the old Samsung square pad and some cheap Chinese one

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Rapid charge and Qi are the tits. Since getting this S6 edge I don't think I could go back to one let alone neither.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't know who cares but I'm getting all day [9 AM to 11 PM or so] and 6-7 hours SOT on my Note 5 for the last week. I like this thing.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

You notice any issues with the GPS? That seems to keep popping up when I've researched the Note 5.

I've used it a few times in town with no issue. Can't say I've tried it extensively.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Skeezy posted:

If I wanted to buy a replacement Galaxy S6 fast charge cable where could I get one on the cheap?

I assume Monoprice would be good, but what's the proper cable that would work?

The block is what matters the most. Just don't get a $.50 Ali Express cable and you should be fine, I've been able to fast charge using an 'adaptive fast charging' block and older USB cable.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've had every Samsung device since the S2 and none have had Comic Sans as a default font. It's a sign of bad terrible taste.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

Can anyone help me out? Facebook is giving me parallel notifications today. The alarm link opens a browser and goes to FB. I want that to go away.

Just get rid of the terrible Facebook application. Especially now that Chrome can send notifications for it

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I haven't had the fingerprint scanner on the Note5 not work for me in over a week. Try adding another "finger" profile and use the same thumb/finger at different angles.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Isnt Wal-Mart incredibly against NFC payments and onboard with CurrentC? Given that it does both MST and NFC, Samsung Pay theoretically should work on the former but there seem to be a few others online saying specifically at Walmart it doesn't work but it works elsewhere.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you registered a finger twice, it's a different profile. I use my right thumb for all 5 profiles at different angles and when I do that, it shows different fingers based on the exact fingerprint I used used for the respective profile.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Yes. I wouldn't use a phone without one now.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If your Note 5 fingerprint sensor doesn't work all the time, add an extra 'fingerprint' or 3 and just use the same finger at different angles. I use four profiles all for one thumb and I can't remember the last time I got a failed message.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I don't have sample photos because we had to delete them but in training I took on S7 two weeks ago, the camera was really good. Noticeably better than my Note 5.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The low light performance was the most apparent change. It focused absurdly fast too.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The S7 camera is really loving good.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I was incredibly thankful not to have to use a File Browser for music anymore, even as someone with the technical knowhow to do so. It's so much loving easier to just load music up in Google Play Music and never have to drag + drop between SD cards, phones and devices ever again. Hell, the 50k song My Library without a subscription is a lot bigger than most people's music library anyway.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I intend to buy a Note7 and I lose cables a lot. Should I be looking at C to C cables or A to C? My motherboard is older and doesn't have a C port so I'll definitely need at least one A to C but do C chargers typically have an A or C input?

Also on that note, anyone in Canada have experience with buying USB C cables on Amazon that aren't total poo poo? I found the Google engineer's Google Docs file with ones that are good and ones that aren't but most aren't available on Amazon Canada or are crazy expensive.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've got a Note 7 and the curve is much nicer in the hand than the S7 edge was, you're definitely right.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm our corporate preorder list, I can't wait, hopefully will get it pretty soon

You'll likely enjoy it if you've used a Note before. I've already dropped mine in water like an idiot. I still use the pen mostly as a Stylus... but one day I'll find myself a use for it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm not exactly a social butterfly and I still have to use SMS, Hangouts and Telegram while telling people I won't respond to their Facebook loving Messenger

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Cool, thanks!!!

Why not just use Smart Switch if you're just switching SMS over?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not switching from another Samsung phone, my personal line is a Nexus 6P.

You can switch from any other Android as well, not just a Sasmung. It just uses WiFi Direct I believe

PS I've had the Note 7 for about 2 weeks now and love it, you probably will too

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 17, 2016

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you're a Note user and want action Memo back on your Note 7, go download S Note from the Play Store. It's version 5.1 which is older than 5.2 in Galaxy Apps. In 5.2 it was removed which is kind of dumb. Also turn off auto update in case Samsung updates the S Note in Play Store to 5.2

Action Memo is that little pop up notepad when you hold the pen button down and double tap the screen. I was fairly annoyed when I found out it was gone but this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy gently caress, since when can malware ads in the Chrome browser turn on the vibrator?!

Here's why I switched from Chrome to Firefox Mobile. uBlock Origin, browsing on mobile without it lately has been miserable as of late.

It formats some websites poorly unfortunately though. But it doesn't allows dickhead websites to hijack the phone.