Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

kitten smoothie posted:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-screen-assurance-faqs/

There is a promo with the Droid Turbo, wherein you get one free replacement due to broken screen, provided it happens within 2 years of purchase.

Dude, thats awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So I'm going on deployment soon, and I have a Turbo. What's the best way to make sure this thing works in Europe/Middle East? Do I need another sim card? I know using a verizon phone overseas used to be kinda tricky; I'm open to buying an unlocked phone if I have to. I lived in France for a while but I just bought my own phone there.

And after figuring that out, how do I get service? Is there a way to sign up for pay as you go from the phone itself?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Anyway to keep maps from hogging data? Drove four hours today (Atlanta to Asheville) and maps used a .95 gigs. It created one solution and I never changed routes. I've never had this happen.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Seconding Here Maps. It was owned by Nokia and is in the process of being sold to a group of European car makers so it's legit. The data quality is high and the app is very usable. My only complaint is that with the screen on you can be using enough power to run down the battery even if you're actively charging. This is true of every navigation app as far as I know, however. You can download individual states (average state is 250mb, but Texas and California are roughly double that) or entire countries.

One note on Here. Make sure you set speed alerts in settings once you install it. By default it will ding at you if you're exceeding the speed limit at all. You can set a more reasonable alert like 7 over or turn it off altogether. It's very useful for those places the speed limit drops like 30mph when you roll through a town. It's not always 100% accurate to the posted speed limit, but it's pretty darn good.

I had the same problem with Google maps using ridiculous amounts of data the time I tried it.

Beautiful. Used here maps on windows phone. I thought Google maps cached maps tbh. I don't know why. I always create the route from WiFi before I depart too. Even if it didnt, there isn't a goddamn gig of maps between Atlanta and NC.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Did Verizon's original Turbo ever get any software upgrades beyond 5.1?

What's the best Android phone that would work on Verizon right now (at an out of price pocket less than $500)?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah 5x is $300 for the 16gb version on Amazon right now. And its less than $200 if you sign up for Project Fi too.

How is project Fi? I'm tired of paying a shitload with Verizon.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have the original Turbo. It does phone things pretty good. Will a 5x be an improvement? Amazon is showing $285 for white 16gb ones which is hard to pass up.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I got a 5x as an upgrade from the Turbo and I can confirm, its a cool phone. The fingerprint sensor kinda wowed me with how fast it unlocks the phone. I'm enjoying it.

I'll still contend that getting the Moto X right as it came out was by and far the best android phone/experience I've ever had. That thing had so much charm.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah, every phone has that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

5x, using the scanner exclusively

I usually get prompted first thing in the morning when I wake up, once a day

I've used the 5x for a week and gotten it once. Get better fingerprints

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'm on a Motorola Droid Maxx 2 and it's babby's first smartphone. They've just pushed the first update out that will bump the phone up to Marshmallow.

My concern is that the update is from Verizon, and I've seen people have horrible issues (particularly related to battery life, which is why I picked this phone) after updating their Android phones with carrier-pushed updates. I do realize, however, that the Droid Maxx 2 is Verizon-exclusive.

Should I update? Or should I wait until the verdict is out about how this will affect my phone's performance?

No balls

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I just got it on my 5x today. You good.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Are pentile screens still a thing? We used to bitch about that and hardware key boards in this thread like six years ago. Those were the days.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

XIII posted:

If you had a Droid Turbo, but could move to Turbo 2 for free (no cost, no plan changes, no contract, etc) would you?

I moved from a turbo to a 5x. No regrets. But personally I'm trying to avoid all carrier branded phones.

I would but what's the catch?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
2013 moto x was the best phone I've ever used. RIP.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I had a Motorola, carrier branded phone. And that carrier was Verizon. I did a year and a half with that poo poo and never saw one upgrade.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I noticed you can't add words to dictionary by tapping them anymore? So now it just autocorrect and gives me no option otherwise.

How was Google's keyboard from loving froyo better than it is now?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Compressed air to get Cheeto dust out.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

peepsalot posted:

Is there a list of magical incantations I can say to the Google search to make it do useful things? Like I used to be able to say "navigate to X" and it would auto open whatever map app was set to default. Now it just does a literal Google search of the entire phrase.

Somewhere there is. On my 5x, droid turbo, and 13 moto x, Google now voice was and is loving terrible. About 50% of the time, I'd get a Google search of "navigate to x" or "set a reminder" which have to be like the most common voice memos. I've since given up.

Also I've never gotten the song recognition to work, ever. It always comes back with an error.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The moto x 13 was so good. RIP MOTO

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Anyway to turn off Spotify's stupid driving mode? Fords appsync is poo poo-tastic, so I have no idea how to select music to play. Pretty sure by voice. Instead of selecting my music in the drive way now, I have no way of selecting it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I just discovered it yesterday. In my car now, with Bluetooth audio on, opening the Spotify app just displays a Ford icon over the Spotify icon.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Look, if you don't get a Nexus branded headset, don't expect updates. It's that simple. That being said, I understand the pain of not getting updates on a promising phone. It blows. Buy a Nexus or an iPhone and enjoy your updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I'm trying to create a point of sales system in my squadron for selling tee shirts, patches, etc etc. Whats the best cheap Android these days? All it needs to do is run the Square app. Also, what's the best, cheap data only plan?