Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Maker Of Shoes posted:

80 hours of uptime and not a single launcher redraw or very recent app falling out of RAM. I'm pretty confident in saying that 5.0.1 fixed the awful memory issues on the Nexus 5.

Just gonna wait to see what else Google breaks. Cellular? The ability to turn on? Only time will tell.

After about 60 hours the redraws started again for me, so I wouldn't be to confident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Decius posted:

Which is a pretty poor showing considering that Lollipop was billed as an update especially built for lower-end devices. The aggressive App culling is something that should really be fixed, especially since it doesn't seem necessary at all - I have a poo poo-ton of Apps open on my N6 and even so I'm a hair under 1 GB RAM used typically (unless Muzei decides to run crazy and blow up to 300 MB).
Pretty sure is was KitKat that was billed for lower specs.

Also the aggressive app culling is a bug (system memory leak) rather than just a poor design choice, tons of people are suffering it across different devices.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
You have to have rooted to get rid of the AT&T poo poo.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Harmburger posted:

I've been having a problem with my Nexus 4 running Lollipop. I was running 5.0 when the issue appeared, tried updating to 5.0.1, still around. The background doesn't expand to the menu buttons at the bottom or persist underneath the app selection, whereas on my Nexus 5, it does. Here are some pictures:

Change your launcher, Nexus 5/6 come with GNL, 4 and 7's don't.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

myron cope posted:

My Nexus 6 is still on 5.0.0 :(

So sideload the update

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

CLAM DOWN posted:

What memory leak? That's a Nexus 5 issue, isn't it? My Nexus 6 has over a week of uptime right now and zero issues.

It's an anything with lollipop issue, caused by the screen off/on

Didn't seem to affect everyone for some reason.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope Google's going to release 5.0.2, which should contain that fix for the memory leak, any time soon. The need to reboot the phone gets annoying. That they're not hotfixing this is frankly ridiculous.

5.0.2 came out before the leak was marked as fixed

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Just flash the GPE software and be done with it.

It's still stock so shouldn't crash, and you won't be annoyed by HTC's lovely dialler.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

While you're right that others are worse than Qualcomm, Qualcomm themselves aren't always so solid. The APQ8064 that was used in the Nexus 4 never did work right from a radio perspective and they ran hot.

The APQ8064 doesn't have a radio

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Bob A Feet posted:

So neat observation on a Droid Turbo.

My line of work occasionally has me wear night vision goggles. Yesterday while wearing some I had set my phone on my desk and noticed it was blooming them out. Apparently, at the four corners of the screen and the center top near the camera are flashing LEDs of some sort, emitting in the IR spectrum. I flipped up the nvd's and caught nothing in visible light. When the active notification screen comes on, only the center top one pulses. Otherwise they all pulse at random intervals.

I know this thing has sensors galore for active notification and all the neat moto features but I didn't know the screen had THAT many on it.

Proximity sensor uses IR, god knows about the rest.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Skeezy posted:

Kinda wish I could edit in the sources it pulls from. Like I want Now to pull Android news but not from Christian News or IBTimes

Jeebus I wish these would gently caress off.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

kri kri posted:

Does the s5 with lollipop really not support multiple users?

Probably not, they stripped multiuser support out of tablets.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Godinster posted:

Multi user works fine on the Tab S though?

Oh, well they used to strip it out, then.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

seravid posted:

Do you have the playstation icons yet? If not, here's how they're going to look (compared to the regular, not clown-sized icons for your convenience)
Oh dear, they've used the original L preview buttons for no apparent reason.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I have a Note II LTE that has some burn in. It's not massively noticeable, but its there.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

Anyone ever seen this from fastboot?
code:
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools> .\fastboot update .\hammerhead-lmy47d\image-hammerhead-lmy47d.zip
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1046070000 bytes
error: update package missing system.img
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools>
:shrug:

Edit: Obviously I checked that system.img is present, also tried re-downloading the entire image. I've never seen that "max download size" thing before.

Use the included flash-all.bat file? It also does bootloader and baseband, so skipping them might have something to do with it?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Well, 5.1 hasn't fixed the memory leak. My system RAM usage is 1GB, processes are restarting and the launcher is redrawing.

gently caress.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

hooah posted:

Correct, no OTAs. If you got the 5.1 image from Google, then it's not something you can flash on your phone. There are instructions near the top of this page for how to flash. If you want to preserve your data, edit the script file and remove the -w flag.

Actually not correct. Nexus 5 update .zip files still patch individual files and not the full system image.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

Who cares what it patches when it won't run at all without an unaltered system image?

For the question he answered I'm pretty sure hooah is essentially correct in that if you're rooted you cannot apply an OTA now.
The reason what it patches matters is why I mentioned it.

L updates aren't supposed to work on altered phones because they directly patch the filesystem, so it must be as the .zip expects it.

Older updates work on individual files, if one is there that shouldn't be it doesn't matter as it's ignored by the .zip

N5 updates still use the old method for whatever reason, so you can go ahead.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Guess I'd better shut up then :D

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
My N5 lasted from Thursday morning 'til Sunday night before it ate itself and needed a reboot.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
On body detection? Where did that spring from?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

PinnacleOrBust posted:

In other news, trusted places seems to be broken for me.
Me as well, it's worked fine for me since it's inception until yesterday. Go figure.

It was looking to make sure it hadn't disabled myself that led me to discover the on-body detection.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

actionjackson posted:

I lost my Nexus 4 (dropped it into a Danish harbor!) while on vacation. I was just going to get the Nexus 5, though that appears to be only available from Amazon. There's a 32 GB version for sale with 4G ($500) and without 4G in the US ($380). Is it a big deal whether I have this or not? I don't use much data as it is.

No such thing as a non-4G Nexus 5, my best guess is the one without is the European model.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

mcbexx posted:

Trusted places is also not working at all.
Requiring two unlocking gestures to even check for notification icons is a pain in the rear end, too.

Hasn't worked for me for a few weeks now, and I'm well within the trusted places geofence.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

Turning it off and then on again has always made it start working again when that's happened to me.

Alas I've done that a bunch of times to no avail

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
If the 2012 N7 got it, it's a safe bet the N4 will.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Yep, HTC made little Bluetooth phones to go with their regular phone.

I guess they stopped because they realised it was stupid.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
The bar isn't for usage, just whether it's on or not, and as you've noticed, it's on even when it's off (by default at least).

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I was having trusted location problems, but the recent Play Services update seems to have fixed it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

whiteshark12 posted:

Since upgrading to lollipop and apps have gained the ability to change the colour of the notification bar, all of the google ones work correctly but a whole bunch of other apps change it to a horrific neon blue, I imagine because they're not updated. How can I change the default colour back to black?

Black is the default, if it's gone blue, it's deliberate.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

butt dickus posted:

Got a launcher redraw when I got home last night. Took a month on 5.1 before it happened.

Lucky bastard.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Ihmemies posted:

Welp seems IKEA's qi chargers are already available in Finland. Went to pick up the single NORDMÄRKE qi charger, altough I don't even have my qi compatible phone yet :v:

They have pretty cool ideas with the qi charger furniture, and chargers which can be installed inside furniture like tabletops. Wouldn't mind some qi chargers on local bar's counter.

I need a new sofa, they should hurry up and get a charger in one.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Hooray, 5.1.1 finally appears to have rid my N5 of the infuriating memory leak.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

This is triggering me so hard.

On a completely different note, installing Motorola factory images is annoying as gently caress. You need a special flavor of fastboot, have to flash like ten separate components for some reason, and all of it with weird cryptic responses in the terminal. I've been spoiled by Nexus devices.

If memory serves you can feed it an XML file and it takes care of all the individual commands.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Sereri posted:

My N5 nearly froze twice today. Unlike before it recovered relatively quickly both times but it still happened at all. So much for "fixing" the memory bug.

/e: Sorry, talking about the 5.1.1 update

Did you check your system RAM usage?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Jesus, move off the ICS launcher already

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

FistEnergy posted:

I just saw that the next OnePlus will use an 810. It's nice to start the day with a hearty laugh.

Apparently a newer, less burny version of it

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

GopherFlats posted:

So I just updated to 5.1 and my power control widget disappeared and I can't find it anywhere in the widgets section. Did Google remove this in 5.0 or am I missing something obvious here?

Google haven't removed it, but that doesn't mean whoever made your phone didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bull3964 posted:

Google kept it on Nexus devices that didn't start on Lollipop. But it is not on the N9 nor the N6.

So, it's the reverse. Your 'manufacturer' decided to retain a legacy widget after upgrade, but the power control widget is not considered "stock" android anymore.
That I did not know, but I'm not surprised. It's pretty redundant now those things live on the notification shade.

kliksf posted:

Hangouts did this really annoying thing in the 5.1.1 update. It used to be chats I had with friends through gchat and SMS showed up in the same screen and it was pretty seamless and easy to follow, everything in one place. All of a sudden in a day it changed so now you have to switch between SMS and gchat. They added a menu dropdown, which wasn't obvious at all, that has you select whether you're in SMS or gchat which is just an extra step you now have to do. There was no indication that it had changed and I had to dick around looking for my chats with my friends overseas and until I figured it out the only way I knew how to switch back and forth was to wait for an SMS or gchat to come in and get there via the notifications. It was like it went backwards from easy and convenient to making you do an extra step to see messages that came in through a different service and I can't figure out what problem they were solving by doing it that way,
I've read there is a bug that is buggering up merged conversations for some people, maybe that's what you're experiencing?