Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

No one buys Nexuses, anyway, so there wouldn't really be a noticeable change.

That article justified my purchase of the Nexus 6, my mother owned a Nexus 5, lots of people love the Nexus 7, I've met people who used Nexus 4s as well.

In short: what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

www.amazon.com posted:

I got a nexus 6 today and it is really friggin big. I like it but it's still just really big. the second option in my mind was the S6 and im also really glad I don't have to spend forever trying to make the phone not look like touchwiz/ too bad a moto x update is far eenough away that I cann't wait and the most recent one is already a year old which makes me not want to commit to it.

I want to get a case for it but in the past i haven't been impressed by too many options. somehow when I got the moto x 1st gen i got a case from verizon that I love and wish I could rget a replica to fit this phone. It fits on the phone super tight, has a more solid back with more flexible sides.I just hate how a lot of the cases fit very loosely onto the phone.

I have a Ringke Slim someone mentioned here and I loving love it. Keeps the form of the phone and the design (dimple).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Postman posted:

Anybody have advice when it comes to battery replacement? I have a Galaxy S3 that's about a year and a half old, and the battery life has been noticeably worse the past few months. I assumed I would just get a Samsung replacement, but a quick search on Google brings up alternatives, specifically one made by Anker. The reviews are great, but I was hoping for a second opinion.

Do it, the battery life is the S3's Achilles' heel. A replacement battery is smarter than a battery case, but either one really help.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nerve posted:

What kind of apps are you strange people using where the settings are even remotely difficult to find?

My credit union's app has a floating menu button :negative:

Update your poo poo, guys.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Three Olives posted:

This is dumb Samsung, stop it right now.

They did... awhile ago. The S6 has microUSB like everything else.

Bring on Type C!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It actually is bad, and that it's being deprecated is further proof. Samsung using it is just further proof.

Hey, once I realized I'd be able to replace the cable I really like the 3.0 connection.

On my 2TB hard drive. No one needs that on a cellphone. The only win that comes from using that port is you can use a normal 2.0 micro cable when you inevitably lose/damage the 3.0 cable.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

Someone talk to me about gaming controllers for Android devices (Nexus 6 and/or Galaxy Tab S 10.5, if it matters). What are the best options?

The Shield controller, hands down.

I really wish they'd refresh the Shield handheld, it's an excellent console.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
edit: fart

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I don't understand the irrational hate for rooting a device on this forum. Yes, there's a subset of users that will end up doing dumb things, but script kiddies have existed for awhile now. Stock has become passable, but one great thing about Android is that you CAN get under the hood.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Stop using wmv files.

Seriously, you know what WMV stands for, right? Ain't a shock Android's confused by it, use a file converter and catch up with us in 2010.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I'm really tempted to sell my S6 and get a Moto X! I had the 2013 and it was a loving brilliant phone, but the lack of wireless charging does give some pause.

Speaking of, here's my pug!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If it motivates you at all to pull the trigger sooner, it sounds like Samsung's about to cut prices on the S6 after lackluster earnings again this quarter.

It really isn't an awful phone, and I'm a rootnerd who works in IT.

drat, but I miss Active Display.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

Out of curiosity are there any real viable solutions to making your desktop a 'cloud storage server'? I've been wanting to move off dropbox for a while due to unreasonable :tinfoil:-edness, but I haven't really heard much about easily configurable solutions.

I've heard good things about OwnCloud but haven't spent the time to try it out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Farchanter posted:

I'm thinking about getting a wood back for the Moto X, but I'm a little skeptical of having a wooden back on my phone. All of the phones I've ever owned have gotten pretty hot towards the end of their lives when running certain tasks like GPS navigation. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid and the wood is perfectly safe, but I'd be happier if the Something Awful Android hivemind told me there was no real chance of my phone combusting. Am I being ridiculous?

The only real chance of your phone combusting would be a uniquely rare battery malfunction, or rooting your device to try to overclock it to 4.0 GHz or something loving dumb like that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Is there something in phones that just degrades over time?

Yes it's called aging

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
My only complaint with the S6 is how often it kicks games out of memory for a 3GB device. Split screen is very useful, the fingerprint sensor just works, beautiful display and fast processor... It may in fact be a Good Phone.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

Not that I care much either way, but notification pane? Settings? Performance and update issues related to Touchwiz not being stock? Also hardware buttons, though that isn't a Touchwiz issue per se :)

Those first two are addressed with the theme store, you can even go straight Material design.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

isndl posted:

This is for those folks who use their phone for torrenting, right?

I'm not happy unless I have 4 seasons of Blu-Ray ripped anime on my phone, so this looks perfect.

But seriously, why throw shade at this? Some people would love to never have to manage storage ever again.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ilkhan posted:

That thing really needs a 4000mah+ sized battery.
Intel SoC, 4GB RAM, and 256GB storage? Might as well stick windows10 on it instead of android.

They were announcing devices that would dual boot Android and Windows over a year ago, but would that be possible? I assume the bootloader isn't compatible.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's also scary good at figuring out where you live and where you work.

That's really easy though. Where else do you spend 8 hours a day, five days a week at?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

:lol: There is no way this will happen. What will happen is you'll insert it and it will tell you that it will format it to marry it to the filesystem and if you remove it everything on the internal storage will get deleted too.

Didn't they say though that you still have the option of not marrying it to the filesystem and using the current Lollipop implementation? If so at least that preserves the use case for people who actually use it. The filesystem marriage option is simply going to be to supplement poorphones.

Have you ever realized you're a giant rear end in a top hat with zero technical prowess?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I don't want to take a dump directly on LastInLine, he does often offer help and have good advice.

His opinions on some things are just bizarrely hateful, and he treats them as absolute fact to an audience that's generally interested. That's infuriating, when he's wrong. Fortunately, that isn't constant. Just when it comes to the computer side of phones.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The network on my vzw Nexus 6 started going shithouse about a week ago. No LTE or no network at all. Happens at work and at home so I know it isn't a tower thing. I've seen that this is a thing but haven't found any solutions. Any help would be much appreciated.

Get ahold of Motorola support, my friend had this issue and they got it straightened out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Thinking of jumping from a Moto X 2013 to the Nexus 6 so I can use Project Fi. Think I'll be happy with this move? I've had the Note 2 prior, so know about big phones...

It's literally twice the phone in your hand, even larger than the Note 2. I think it's great, but at least hold one before you pull the trigger.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you'd upgraded to a 2014 X last year like you were supposed to, it wouldn't be that big of a size difference :colbert:

Phones are just getting bigger.

It's handy for swatting bugs!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rastor posted:

I'm pretty sure the edges don't actually curve, only the glass.

Personally I think it looks just fine, though I can see how the design might be divisive.

My S6 doesn't curve either. :)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nimper posted:

How is it baffling that a stock Android phone doesn't support a custom software solution?

Motorola manufactured the Nexus 6.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DontMindMe posted:

I currently have the option to upgrade my phone. Currently have a Galaxy S3. Should I jump on Galaxy S6? Or is there a better option available now?

The S6 is pretty good, but has similar battery life to the S3 due to the insane screen. If battery life is a big concern I'd look elsewhere.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cozmosis posted:

If you're buying a subsidized phone, buy an iPhone 6S and sell it and buy something cheaper, like a Pure. Or buy a Note 5. S6 isn't worth as much any more and has terrible battery.

How do you sell a subsidized phone, anyway? Don't buyers usually want to avoid a device you're still paying off?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Try a different cable.

This is good advice, you could be using a power cable instead of data. If your phone registers with that cable, try reinstalling the Android driver (ADB driver? Been awhile)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Airborne Viking posted:

This might be a dumb reply but when you plug it in, does your phone still need your password/pin/pattern to unlock it?

That's another distinct possibility I didn't mention.

FYI the Nexus 7 is a tablet, but that could change in 2016!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I'm sure Qi back plates will be sold before it's officially released.

You know, the Nexus 6 has wireless charging..

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Any downside to encrypting your phone? I'm on a Z3c if that matters.

Slower performance. Ever used PGP or some other full disk encryption on a PC?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Totally fair. I have a N6 in perfect shape so I'm not in a position where I need to get a new phone at all, in fact this is looking like it'd be a downgrade for me.

Yeah, the price drops on the N6 have been ridiculously tempting. I wonder if it'll continue to go down?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

Things that Samsung phones have been doing for a couple of years now: using Exynos processors instead of Snapdragon.

Fixed that for you; Samsung's an outlier in this conversation.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

There's also the Note 5 at $579 if that deal is still going on, not sure. That said, whatever phone you get do not load a custom ROM on it for the love of god, it's not 2011 anymore.

You'd have to have a really good reason to use another ROM on a Note or Edge device, those have software that should add value. If you're not interested in the edge display software or S Pen... Why buy either of those phones?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

When's the last time you guys were frustrated over Android not getting an app or having a delay?

Hasn't happened in a long time.

Have you looked at the Nexus 6? It supports wireless charging and works on Fi right now.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nocal posted:

I ordered a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5, both shipped to the correct address. They shipped my phone to an address I didn't even remember, let alone type in, that I haven't had anything delivered to in 10 years.

When I called, they told me that there will be a long wait to talk to the shipping department. The shipping department told me that they're having a lot of issues surrounding this.

I asked that it be held at Fed Ex, and it wasn't.

If you can explain to me why it used an address from an ancient Google Wallet purchase, and not from a more recent purchase, I'll accept that it's my own stupid fault.

It's your own stupid fault regardless for failing to review an order worth hundreds of dollars? Why are you expecting pity for clicking your money away? Most people here can't afford to be flippant about that level of spending and will spend twenty seconds reading over the order summary before submitting, don't hope for any empathy when you can't do the most basic reading.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

The fingerprint reader doesn't work if your finger is damp or wet.

Really? My work iPhone and personal S6 do, you just have to add a profile for your finger while it's damp.

zolthorg posted:

How are you supposed to pirate and emulate all of your Nintendo(R) AmiiboTM without HCE and NFC?

Is this a thing people do? That's hilarious. Easier than tracking down some of those figures I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

you have a hard time accidentally triggering on screen buttons, whereas physical ones wouldn't be as prone to accidental presses.

I accidentally hit the task switcher all the time when I go for a comma on my S6. :argh: On screen buttons or GTFO.