Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just bought a Pixel 7 after getting it for almost nothing with an iPhone 12 trade in. It's been almost 10 years since I was on Android. Can anyone give me a rundown on the best way to transfer as much as possible over between phones? I'm lucky that all of my apps have android versions*, but things like contacts/photos/passwords from safari would be good.

*I do need a good light epub/PDF reader. If it can handle CBR files that would be a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My Pixel 7 review after a few days getting adjusted to it from a lifetime iPhone user:

Pros:

Camera - I'm a full time photographer and the iPhone 12 (my previous phone) camera was trash. I don't care about multi-lens setup, just want a good main camera for snapshots and such, and the Pixel 7 main camera is actually pretty good. Here's an example:

Performance - Everything is snappy, but I'm far from a power user. I have about 8 core apps I use daily and they're all pretty light. The only gaming I do on mobile is Marvel Snap and a few board game apps which all work well so far.

Battery life - Really strong, even with the heavy use that comes from having a new phone and playing with it constantly. I took it on my normal 20 mile bike ride and recording Strava, snapping a few pics/videos of the gators at the lake, and streaming music the whole time used about 10% battery, as opposed to 30-40% per ride on the iPhone (that still had battery health of 85%).

Build - Feels solid, and the camera bar on the back doesn't bother me since it keeps the phone level across while on the table and adds a natural grip when handholding. No case, but I might throw on a leather wallet case to it for travel.

Notifications - Clean and well organized. Useful as opposed to a nuisance like iOS.

Google Assistant - Actually works for my uses unlike Siri, which I kept disabled.

Android Auto - CarPlay was fine, but Android Auto just does more.

USB C - Thank god.

Cons:

Unlocking Methods - Fingerprint in screen has an awful miss rate. I just tried with both thumbs I have registered and it failed 70% of attempts (10 each). Face detect works well except when it doesn't (low light, sunglasses). iPhone just always worked, no matter what. Even the passcode is obnoxious in that you have to hit a forward button after typing your code. I'm trying out the Smart Lock options but that's not a great solution.

Chrome - The interface is garbage compared to Safari. To access my mobile shortcuts its 3 button presses all at the top right of the device as opposed to a single at the bottom where my thumb is. No swipe forward but another 2 inconvenient button presses (and system level swipe control being Back no matter what side and direction you swipe from is dumb as hell too). It looks like Firefox has a bottom bar interface option so I'm going to try that.

Bugs - Random issues with apps keep popping up. Earlier I couldn't open my text messages and had to restart. It kept giving me "can't open app" message. The hell?

Volume - The device is noticeably quieter than iPhone via Bluetooth. Through both sets of Bluetooth headphones and my car, I have to crank the volume a lot more to get comparable levels. In the car this actually hurts audio quality because my speakers or headset has a sweet spot for the volume and this has to push beyond that to get as loud.

Ad inserts throughout the interface - poo poo sucks

Temperature - This thing runs hot. I'm in Florida and device temp is a real concern, especially since I do a lot of outdoors stuff. My iPhone was already starting to have temp problems when charging, and I suspect this will as well. I'm going to start carrying a freeze pouch or something in my laptop and bike bags.

Question:
Is there any way to pin the media player that shows in the notification area to the Lock Screen? I use that all the time for skimming podcasts or skipping music and it'd be great to not have to swipe down or unlock to do that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

uh, what ads??

A mix of paid google services (free trial for photo storage taking up the top 1/3 of my screen every time I open photos, etc) and recommended/sponsored content all over the Google apps (including Google and Chrome). Just showing me a ton of stuff I didn't ask for and don't want.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You mean like the AppleTV app sending me notifications about AppleTV+ new shows and movies when they come out?

I never got those and certainly not inline in Safari or on my home/notifications screen.like I've been able to disable some of it like recommended stuff on Chrome home page but it's still striking how much of it is present in a fresh Android experience.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you please screenshot what you're talking about? I literally have no idea. What ads are all over Chrome? Do you mean on a website? I've never seen ads on any pixel, and I've had all of them.

Funny you ask, because I just got this full page pop up trying to get me to subscribe to this service while switching apps. I consider that an ad.

bull3964 posted:

I get them constantly on my iPad and Apple provides no way to differentiate between getting notified about new stuff on my watchlist and anything else they want to push.

There's also the fact that they decided to go all in on promotional content on the AppleTV device itself in the TV app and force banners of new shows.

Apple News doesn't have the ability to turn off News+ content that gets pushed to your feed even if your aren't paying for it. It also just has inline regular ads (Looking at one for "Lendgo" right now.)

The stuff is there, it's just like any system you get numb to the promotional stuff or forgot that you had to do something to make it go away.

But you shouldn't be getting more inline ads in chrome vs any other browser on the same website.

I have an iPad pro and had an iphone forever and never got any of this. But I never subbed to Apple TV or News and had most notifications off. What feed are you talking about? Because I never see anything from News.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is in Chrome? You specifically mentioned Chrome ads. This is also super cropped, what app is this in? What do you mean when you say it popped up "when switching apps"? I've never seen anything like this, so I'm confused and trying to understand.

Two separate things: 1: system level ads for paid services from Google and 2: lots of recommended or sponsored content in the Google feeds like the left swipe from home screen and Chrome home page. The screenshot above literally popped up as a full screen App and advertised the One service. I have the full screenshot, not sure why imgbb cropped it.

https://postimg.cc/jnw4GNZ4

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I just got my first survey and it gave me 0 cents. :smith:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone know why the android YouTube app is so bad? It routinely drops quality to the lowest possible and will lag horribly if I try to do even 1080 on wifi. Meanwhile my ipad and iphone have no problems playing the same videos in 4k on the same network.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why don't the Pixel 7s have IR for face unlock? Seems like a no brainier at this point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

my Pixel 7 Pro fingerprint sensor works fine, sorry for your hosed up fingers

Was this funny the last 20 times you posted it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My phone overheated today and wouldn't even take a picture. It was only 82 degrees out, my phone was stored in a bag out of sunlight, and was only playing music via Bluetooth (a downloaded playlist at that) and recording Strava GPS. This happened about 15 minutes into the activity. That's pretty bad.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Resdfru posted:

Yikes. Wonder if it had a lovely signal and burned itself up trying to stay connected/find a connection

It shouldn't have had any issue there. It was my normal trail with plenty of coverage and the phone has been fine there before in 92 degrees. Is there a resource monitor or anything similar that could tell me if maybe Strava was polling way too frequently or something? I turned it off and pulled it out of the case and put it against a cooling towel and it was fine after about 5 minutes, but I'd definitely like to know what caused it next time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

P7, about 2 weeks old

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Any recs for a very lightweight reader app that can handle epubs/mobi/pdf? I dug out my old Nexus 5X to use as a wifi only secondary device while traveling and it only goes up to Android 8.1 and has pretty low specs.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Same, I pretty much use it exclusively. And I find myself turning my library into audio books by using the handy read aloud feature which usefully works with the screen off.

Hey this works pretty well even on the old device. Do you have any idea if book uploads to the cloud count towards your Google account Drive storage? I assume so, but don't want to dump gigs of PDFs on there to test it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How do you disable stretching text from over scrolling in Android 13? I tried turning animations off in settings. I tried all the android 12 ways but none of them stop it. It triggers motion sickness for me for some reason so it's gotta go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

yeah, you can make shelves to organize things

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

There are 4 cable types out there.

3A (60w)
5A emarked (100w)
5A emarked (140w)
5A emarked (240w)

The last two are relatively rare since they are the newest (I don't even think Anker has a 240w cable yet). The 3 emarked types should be clearly indicated in their listings.

The only other thing to consider is that there are multiple different ways to get to a particular wattage with all the volts/amps combination available in PPS. Because of this, you may need a 5A cable to reach max charge wattage under 60w if the volts are lower (like on Samsung devices utilizing 45w charging since they max out under 10w which requires over 4 amps.)

Because of this, I try to default to at least 100w cables when I can now unless I need something super long. 140w is a niche case right now. There's a Anker battery pack that can do it. The MacBook Pro 16 charges at 140w (5A@28v), but it will only do it from the magsafe port, so a C-C cable is irrelevant.

I don't really know if anything yet that can use 240w (5A@48v) C-C right now.

Where does Power Delivery fit in with all of this? And IQ+ or whatever?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Android Auto has always seemed REALLY sensitive to changes in resistance in the cable or anything attenuating the signal at all. This is one of the reasons why I moved to wireless AA awhile ago, connect that poo poo up once and never touch it again.

Got a recommended dongle or whatever you use?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone know why smart lock randomly stops working and has to have a full reboot and re-enable? If I notice it not working and try to go to it in settings I just get a blank screen after putting in my pin, which is why I have to restart to re-enable it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone know why autocorrect would just turn itself off? Seems like every day is a fun new bug in Android land!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's funny because I went with a Pixel just because of the decades of hearing about the jank other companies stitch onto their flavor of Android.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Batteries are heavy and the 7a has almost 50% more capacity.

Than the 7?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

My Fold 3 says otherwise.

Not sure about that screen format either, a square vs Samsung's widescreen. Feels like it'll be worse for video and comics. But I'll defer to the infinitely wise Mr Mobile. The price is truly off-putting and at least you get amazing trade in deals with Samsung.

Yeah the aspect ratio is strictly worse for everything expect multitasking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

repiv posted:

google and apple have collaborated to standardize the anti-stalker measures at least, so android will warn you if there's an unknown airtag travelling with you and vice versa

That is really surprising but a good move. They're all NFC right? Could you make an app that just does that for any NFCs?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As someone that just switched to Android full time for the first time ever, it's 95% the same experience. The pixel 7 has a lovely unlocking experience in anything but well lit areas and the UI in general will take a swipe or two more to do simple tasks, and a lot of them won't register the correct direction. Overall, it's slightly more annoying and frustrating to do anything and bugs happen randomly and much more often overall but it's fine. Today's fun bug is that auto correct doesn't work when tsyping in any non Google app. Also YouTube keeps breaking when I go from PiP back to the app. I don't know if these things will push me back to iphone over time or not, but they are daily annoyances for a device I use this much. You can check my post history in this thread for more of my thoughts.

On the plus side, the camera continues to be great for pictures (video is way oversaturated and gross), the Google voice assistant is great, and battery life is pretty solid. I'm happy with the hardware, but I do miss the polish of iOS.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My volume slider won't leave the screen now. Every time I use it it stays on the screen across locks and everything. Have to restart the phone to get it to go away. Great!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, I've never had this on any Pixel.

The most tedious gimmick poster

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How have I never seen that one?

The correct answer is obviously screen facing my leg with the phone right-side-up.

Monster.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My battery has been draining significantly faster the past two days despite my screen time being lower. Is there a way to check power consumption or throttle stuff more besides just doing battery saver mode?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How good is the Google version of applecare?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rap Game Goku posted:

they partner with ubreakifix, so dependent on how close one of those are to you.

"Preferred Care through the Google Store, Assurant1 handles repair or replacement. Assurant is the Google Store partner who provides coverage for your item after Google’s warranty expires for mechanical or electrical breakdown claims"

Is Assurant and ubreakifix the same or what? Was just bringing it up because I wondered if that would be wise for Fold beta testers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Android Thread: He;pl

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

1080 24p should be fine unless it's 100+ degrees where you're recording.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

if this new one has the same problems, i'm probably just gonna trade it in for a different brand

Mine gets hot during heavy use of Lightroom and a few games but not like that and battery has been pretty solid.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

I think you've got anker management issues

:smoobles:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What sort of jank sir?

How much time you got

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just in the past 24 hours:

I can't crop the right side of a screenshot because it does the back gesture no matter how carefully I tap

Autocorrect just doesn't work in some apps with the default keyboard

Smart Lock stops working after a few unlocks and requires fingerprint (which works 25% of the time for me) or passcode again

UI freezing up and requiring a restart

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah a tripod or leaning it against something stable will help a lot. You also need to be in an area with little light pollution to get good results. Also do it on a new moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have zero noticeable lag with my Pixel 7 to bluetooth audio devices, which is 3 headphone sets, 2 speakers, and the car.

\/ video and games, though mostly stuff like card game and board game apps. The sounds are synced with the animations and taps and all though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 19, 2023