Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Popelmon posted:

My Z3c arrived today and I love it. Great size, really snappy and the battery seems to be pretty great. The only problem I have: is there any way to disable the startup sound of the camera app when I launch it with the camera button? I have disabled all sounds and the phone is one quiet setting but it still plays the annoying start up sound.

Are you holding the dedicated camera button down? Mine doesn't/hasn't made a sound ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This_Thread.RL

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

I use touchdown to read my work email. It is ugly as sin but at least it sandboxes itself so Im not subjected to remote wipe. What should I use instead?

Nine, far better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any complaints about the Xperia Z3 Compact? Upgrading from a Samsung S4 Galaxy.

No, excellent phone. Only complaints tend to be a lack of Qi charging and the camera isn't phenomenal but is still rated " good ".

Buy it, won't be going wrong.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sony Z4 announced. Smaller battery, Snapdragon 810, 32GB base, capless MicroUSB, no magnetic charging and no Qi. This one may be a pass in the end... maybe I'll just move up to the Z3 on the cheap and get the Qi case.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...gnature-design/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

dphi posted:

Wow, talk about a letdown. I just picked up a Z3 so I'm glad I won't be regretting not waiting for the Z4.

Yes, I'm even now considering moving out of Sony the more I think about it. Unless there are any other major flagships on the horizon I'm exploring the Droid Turbo but am concerned that 32GB wouldn't be enough. How is the Turbo camera? Looks like the most solid option without going to the N6 or Note4. 99% sure it'll work just fine on Cricket's AT&T Towers also.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Edward IV posted:

But there's an image stabilized front camera for taking less blurry selfies. :downs:

Also it turns out that the camera is disappointingly poor compared to the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S5, S6, and Note 4. I guess it's not a Sony if they don't fully leverage functions and features from their other divisions who are actually good at implementing them.

And I still need to get my Z3c sent in to get the flap and magnetic charging port fixed. Now I'm thinking I should have opted for the full size Z3 and the Qi case.

Case is a flip case though and doesn't appear to be any third-party ones available. That's putting me off on the Z3 also. Also, apparently one of the big improvements have been to optimize the camera for taking pictures of food?? :confused:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Somewhere along the line Google Now thought I would be interested in receiving cards on Pakistani Cricket. The strange thing is that the cards do not have the usual menu option to say that I am not interested in receiving these any longer and when I access my options under Sports no such team/sport is listed in there to deselect. Any other ideas on how to remove this card? It's a minor thing, but really don't need to see it...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Nope, sorry, you're a cricket fan now! So decrees the Google. :v:

Do you see the "options" menu by the card? If you're on Lollipop it'll be three horizontal dots above it. Try going into there and changing the options.

I swear I looked a dozen times and there wasn't an option. Low and behold now that I take another look after posting the question it is there... I am ashamed of myself, but thank you for the help!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

Are you now or have you ever been a Cricket Wireless member? ;) Or have you searched for Cricket Wireless? That's why the Cricket cards kept coming up for me.

Yes I am. That makes a hell of a lot of sense now that you mention it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So what's the verdict on the S6? Looking at reviews and initial impressions it seems...good? Seems that if you use Nova Launcher it's actually not a bad software implementation. I'm itching to get a new phone as I mentioned on the previous page since the Z4 is so lackluster. Love my Z3c but want something bigger and with Qi. That basically leaves Droid Turbo (provided it gets LTE on Cricket), Nexus 6 (If I can handle the magnitude of its sheer size), and the S6 (if it's not Samsung poo poo after all). Camera is important too, where the N6 and S6 seem to be doing very well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is the back button switched on the S6 still? Oddly that may be the only thing I couldn't get over if I went to the new Samsung.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

Back button is on the right side

Thanks, for those who were used to it on the left was it tolerable after a period of T
transition or no?

Also, does the Tylt Vu have the ability to mount to the standard hole pattern on proclip mounts or strictly suction cup? I have one of the proclip mounts that bolts on my frame and would prefer not to remove if it I can still utilize it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You won't even notice it after 3 days. You're over-thinking it.

Great, I generally do.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

I don't really notice button order.

The Tylt Vu needs the proclip ball adapter, but the socket it has is too wide for the standard ball to hold tightly, but it does secure loosely (i.e. wouldn't tip unless you were driving over lots of potholes). I suppose you could put some sheet padding or rubber band in it to get it to hold tightly.

Whichever way you decide to go with the proclip, realize that the Tylt Vu is very bulky. The proclip "compatible with my car" clipped to the side of the console right by my gearshift, and the Tylt Vu literally blocked shifting.

I recommend iOttie Easy Flex 3 for non-6" phones. Easy Flex Wireless Qi is a good mount that roughly holds the same size and does wireless charging (which Turbo supports).

Thanks, my mount is higher then my shifter so would only run the risk of blocking my head unit. Is it the same ball that the RAM products use? I currently have the Xgrip.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Seemingly out of nowhere, my Z3c started randomly pausing podcasts and spotify with no notification coming in that would potentially do so. Is there a known bug (and hopefully resolution) with this issue? It's very annoying. I rebooted to see if that'll fix things but will need some runtime to see if it helped.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

uPen posted:

Did you get upgraded to lollipop?

Yes, but have had it for a few weeks. I haven't used it for much audio though until this week so it's possible its been prevalent since the update.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

With all the phones being announced right now being relatively lackluster I have a feeling that I'm going to be holding on to my Z3c for a while like a Normal. I want to change every six months damnit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Just get into smart watches like me, every one is a bit lacking in some area so you can rationalize buying a new one every few months!

Already dabbling with the Moto 360. I like the ease of sifting through 95% of my useless notifications in hope of one of the 5% I want to pay attention to without pulling out my phone. I'm not that big of a fan of talking to my wrist for the same reasons that I don't like talking to my phone. Majority of the time I'm in a place where I feel weird to do so, especially when I have to report my dumb message four times and I realize that it's really not something that is important or needed to be said but just took up 30 seconds of my time fussing when I could've just typed it.

My wife basically wrote that last part. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Has anyone hear used the Qi case for the Z3? Since it's a flipcase, did you also remove the flip part? Please share your experience with it, I'm considering swapping up to the Z3 from the Z3c, primarily for Qi and the larger screen. If the Qi case is lame and not cool though, that will definitely impact my decision.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Seemingly out of nowhere, my Z3c started randomly pausing podcasts and spotify with no notification coming in that would potentially do so. Is there a known bug (and hopefully resolution) with this issue? It's very annoying. I rebooted to see if that'll fix things but will need some runtime to see if it helped.

Skarsnik posted:

Could be something up with the headphone port

An update on this, I've been trying a hundred different things to get this to stop but nothing is working. As far as I can tell the headphone port is perfectly clear of any debris and nothing else appears out of the ordinary. I received a new Z3c roughly a month ago from a warranty exchange. Am I screwed and have to do another? Any other ideas?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've replaced two tempered glass screen protectors this year alone due to a fall. Underlying phone was perfectly intact.

They're amazing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Harmburger posted:

Went to the store and had them enter the APN settings earlier. Called Quality Cellz CS and they said something's wrong with the phone, so I guess I'm returning it.

In that case, what's a good phone for around $250 that's new? The phone is for my wife and used phone shenanigans have ended up poorly for her more than once. I thought this "manufacturer refurbished" phone would do the trick, but here we are with more shenanigans.

e: We're on T-Mobile and require 4G.

Are you sure it's unlocked? Should be able to get an unlock in eBay

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

The thing about a turbo is that it's shackled to Verizon.

I thought you could run it on GSM as well. Won't get LTE on T-mobile though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It supports Bands 2 and 4 so it should.

Well even better then. So as long as it is unlocked you should be golden.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

As a true SA Goon I have garnered an irrational disdain for all things Samsung since I entered the Android world despite never owning one. This S6 looks to be a really amazing phone, please convince me otherwise. It even sounds like that the worst offender (Touchwiz) is muted enough to where it's tolerable. It's got an awesome camera, great hardware/build quality, fingerprint scanner that actually works, decent-enough battery life...

Stop me from buying this phone and leaving my Z3c in the dust as I have envy here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, but then you have like 3 mail apps, 2 messaging apps, 2 calendars, something called milk, etc.

It's my understanding that all of that can be disabled (and hidden from view in Nova,etc) and replaced with the apps I prefer only sucking up some storage space, correct?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

Um, OK. The weak point of the S6 is the battery.

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for. This may be something I can still work with though (despite loving my Z3c battery life) as my routine is one where I charge on my 45 minute commute back and forth (albeit with the screen on for Waze, so more of a trickle) and would only really be an issue when I travel. I usually carry a power bank with me for that since even my Sony gets sapped for whatever reason when I am on the move. Having the Qi built in would negate a lot as well since it'd sit on my desk on my normal days.

Something to think on, provided if this is the largest area of concern.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Shifting gears to Lollipop behavior. I'd like to best replicate the iPhone lockscreen security if possible. I'd like to have the 'swipe' to unlock the phone but require a PIN after a period of time. I'd like to get the lockscreen everytime I power the display off but not have to enter the code if it has been within my security timeout. Is there a way to configure it? I'm not seeing it if so.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ruby idiot railed posted:

You can get roughly comparable behavior with Smart Lock, though not to 100% duplicate. Off the top of my head, Smart Lock can unlock based on:

1) trusted location (geofencing based on gps and wifi)
2) accelerometer/gyro -- set the phone down flat and stationary on a surface, it'll require unlock next time you pick it up (called 'on-body detection')
3) trusted devices -- bluetooth connections such as headsets, car audio, or smartwatches
4) voice (eh)

All of these are available on any Lollipop device with Smart Lock (so, say, the Galaxy S4 doesn't have it because Samsung didn't bake Smart Lock into the stock Lollipop ROM for it)

For example the lockscreen in Google stock Lollipop can be configured to lock down if you power off, which then requires a secure unlocking next time, be it PIN or pattern or password (or fingerprint, etc.), then you'd pick it up play with it and it wouldn't lock back down until you set the phone back down on a flat surface.

Samsung's lockscreen (not sure if this is in Google stock, I don't have my Moto or Nexus 5 with me at work) can set to lock 5 seconds after screen turns off.

When the device is on lock screen though not secure locked, you swipe to get out of the lockscreen.

I knew about SmartLock and enjoyed having the behavior when I was trying out the Moto 360 as it basically mimicked the behavior perfectly, save for requiring the PIN after a period of time but that was fine since the phone would have to be near me to be unlocked. Perhaps I just need to pick up one of those Moto keychain things.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

One girl in our class got a S6 and kept sweating that her photos are being uploaded to the cloud and to G+ and she'll accidentally share all her nudes to everyone with just 2 clicks. After watching her being nervous and talking about it to everyone for a whole week, I pointed out that the "Photos" app is just an another program to display her photos, the phone comes with many apps which do the same drat thing. Google and Samsung make apps for the same purpose, they just have different names. It is highly unlikely you share everything accidentally. Also she had the cloud backup disabled anyways.

Multiple apps really confuse people, they should just get an Iphone. At least her laugh was worth it when she realized how silly she had been :v:

Is the fact that people have nudes on their phones so accepted these days that it's commonly discussed in this way? These millennials may be more liberated and free than the hippie generation.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Looks like Sony backpeddled and are relaunching the Z4 as the Z3+.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yay, debut the perfect phone and android wearable please.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rastor posted:

It looks like Sony has discontinued the Z3 Compact.

There will not be nicely-sized phones. You will welcome you huge phone overlords.

At least the resale of my Z3C is going to be good in a few months.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Tangentially related to Android, anyone have issues with their Google Music Manager on Mac recently? It was plugging away adding new stuff to my Google Music that I've added to the directory it's watching and now I can't login to it. It accepts my login and sends the text for two-factor authentication. I input the correct code and am brought to a screen saying that Google Music Manager can't connect to the internet. I tried reinstalling and still the same issue. I have a roadtrip this afternoon and really wanted to get some new music added prior. Any ideas?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Use the website and the accompanying extension to do it?

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the extension. Will check that out!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I tried to link it but couldn't find it in searching. I think when you first try to upload it will send you to it.

Yes, you need to go through and try to add from the web interface and at the last moment it prompts you to install. This worked great, thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Present posted:

Is the Xperia Z3C still my best best for a compact phone or is there something on the horizon that I should wait just a while longer for?

Nothing good on the horizon that has been announced.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

How in the hell did 154 degrees get to production??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Lots of people are able to use the unlock portal right away. There is a citibank credit card deal right now. Its spend $2000 in 3 months get up to $650 credit towards an ATT phone. Only have to keep service for 15 days

revmoo posted:

Nice. I haven't churned any cards in a while, I'll jump on that. Thanks!

I just recently completed this. I already do a lot of manufactured spend so this was kind of a no brainer.

Here is how the math worked out:

Phone service was $54.94, no activation charge. So all-in

$95 card fee
$54.94 Service Fee
$794.99 phone (iPhone 6 64GB, 6% sales tax)
-$650 statement credit

$294.93 out of pocket. Hoping to get ~$300 for my wifes iPhone 5S 32gb and it'll be a wash.

Time frame:

I made the phone purchase on 5/8 the day I received my card (~a week from applying), hit the spending requirement a day or so later and received my statement credit on June 8th. Requested a check for the negative balance online that day and received the check in the mail a few days later. All told, made my wife happy and it's a good day.

revmoo posted:

I was looking into it and it won't work for me. I have an existing ATT account (family plan) that I'm under right now and I'm trying to cancel it.

The only way I see it working is if I can port my ATT number from the family plan to a new ATT account, which I don't see working. I guess I could port to t-mob prepaid and then back to ATT but that's not worth six hundred dollars of hassle for me at the moment.

Fairly certain this works for those on existing plans as well, since it's an unlocked phone there's no contract associated but do some more digging to make sure you don't get caught with your pants down.

edit: Totally forgot, add $.01 to the total above. AT&T sent me a bill this morning in that amount...