Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
1. Ping Pong: The Animation: Yuasa and Choi working on an adaptation of a Matsumoto Taiyou Manga. This was literally enough of a pedigree to make it the best show of the year before it even came out. Fortunate for literally everyone on the planet earth it was better than expected, had excellent voice acting and a great soundtrack, and the animation maintained Yuasa quality the entire time.

ViggyNash posted:

Let me give a reason to watch this show: Yuasa is a competent storyteller. That already makes Ping Pong better than 99% of all anime.

2. Mushishi Zoku Shou: Artland made a second season of one of the best shows ever made and it was.... more of one of the best shows ever made. Had some animation hiccups but featured some excellent direction and consistently great writing.

3.Space Dandy: Yuasa and Choi worked on this too and, what a surprise, it was basically 26 episodes of Slapstick that then bends into itself to become a self-aware, self-referential sci-fantasy animator's showcase. Every episode is technically interesting and unique without alienating the whole, and by the end the entire show comes together to form a funny and cohesive arc that is so much more than its flavortext lets on.

4.Barakamon: Okay, if you told me that a show about a moeblob 7 year old hanging out with Daisuke Ono would be one of the best shows of the year I would have pointed you in the direction of the Umineko adaptation and then punched you in the face. It was, thankfully, the complete opposite of the Umineko adaptation and instead was an incredibly heartfelt, fun, pretty show that spins a 'learn to not be an autistic rear end in a top hat' narrative into something actually kind of heartfelt.

5.Haikyuu!: A super fun, genuine shounen sports anime that actually maintains relative animation quality and storytelling ability by grounding itself *somewhat* in the reality of its characters and their desire to play sports. The show lives and dies by its volleyball, and while it definitely has character drama it doesn't get caught up in everything besides its volleyball. Definitely reminiscent of Chihayafuru and Ookiku Furikabutte in the best ways.

Shingeki no Bahamut gets a shout out for having a relatively pretty and well paced first few episodes before the writing and art take a huge nose dive because it's a mobile cash in. Yoshino also puts in quite the performance as Guy With Vaguely Spaghetti Western Sounding Name. KlK Gets a shoutout as well for managing to surpass its first 12 episodes and become something a little tiny bit different than the same loving coming of age story Gainax has been telling since Eva. Also I know that Shirobako isn't on the list but it deserves nods for being hilarious and enlightening for people who don't really know much about the industry.

laplace fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Redcrimson posted:

Masaaki Yuasa is good at his job.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Twiddy posted:

1. Ping Pong: That's not fair to everything else this year.

Can be applied to anything Yuasa makes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Saw Expelled from Paradise and if anyone's interested in seeing before the year is up, I guess I reccomend it. Didn't make my list, but it's kinda entertaining. Think basically a reversed, more lighthearted The Matrix from the pov of an Agent.

It's probably the sweetest and most optimistic work from Urobotchi so far, and amazingly, somehow the most heavy-handed. I didn't get much out of it outside of the action, and there's some skeezy cinematography going.g on, but it's p fun when it's trying to outAkito Akito the Exiled(with some CG Itano Circusing for good measure!)

Did you notice how the characters wildly changed art styles in every cut. Somehow. Even though they were 3dCG models. After watching that I was convinced the girl was just an amorphous blob shapeshifter.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Kaguyahime was very good and I enjoyed seeing it in theaters quite a bit. Probably my favorite Ghibli movie.

Wind Rises was cool except for the weird audio mixing. The thing that stood out was when he speaks German to the Engineers -- The audio track of him speaking german just slowly gets quiet as the audio track of him finishing the sentence in Japanese just gets louder, so there was this really strange echo effect and everyone in the theater was like "what" when it happened.

It was still in the movie on the rip I watched, so I ended up switching to the English Dub which was functional.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Part 4 was a huge inspiration to Persona 4, so if you like that game Part 4 is pretty fun.

Also, the whole point about cours is that they're not two different seasons, they're just two cours. It's not really a change in plot or narrative, just a break in production and airing. So they should be treated as a full single season. Just like how most TV shows have a midseason finale but are still counted as a single season instead of two different ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Idk, I feel like the post-flamengers stuff is a marked improvement from the flamengers stuff. It's still not like the best show ever but I think the last two episodes at least and the Metal Gear Rising battle are worth watching.

laplace fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread