Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Namtab posted:

- The requirement for a 3 ep test minimum kept the thread focused on things that people had actually watched. I'd say asking for more episodes minimum would risk losing votes due to the sunk cost fallacy, my reasoning against less is explained in the OP.

How about adding a wildcard vote or something? I think it'd be interesting to hear which series was the most avoided (i.e. requiring 0 episodes viewed) because of its bad reputation/perception/infamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Nana Mizuki. She plays the lead in Cross Ange.
And the lead in a lot of other things. She's a very successful and popular voice actor/singer. I imagine a lot of people bought the blu-ray just to scalp the tickets later on and make their money back.

Basically, wait until Volume 2 sales come in before declaring anime dead and Cross Ange a massive success.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

Forget whole voting thing and just use the thread to talk about bad anime.

No

WickedHate posted:

Sounds like someone is a Wicked Hater.

lol

DrPaper posted:

Well I for one, like anime.

Same

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

How about adding a wildcard vote or something? I think it'd be interesting to hear which series was the most avoided (i.e. requiring 0 episodes viewed) because of its bad reputation/perception/infamy.

I like this idea (tallied separately, of course). ADTRW managed to scare me away from Mahouka, but I would have loved to be able to vote for it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah make it a separate category like "most infamous anime of the year"
That would definitely be a discussion generator.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Endorph posted:

Basically, wait until Volume 2 sales come in before declaring anime dead and Cross Ange a massive success.

Cross Ange becomes the next Bleach and just runs forever for no goddamn reason.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liver Disaster posted:

Hopefully not, I don't want it to become mainstream.

I kinda want to remain an underground anime connoisseur of refined taste.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WitchFetish posted:

Hopefully not, I don't want it to become mainstream.

I kinda want to remain an underground anime connoisseur of refined taste.
sodomy hipster

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Liver Disaster posted:

Isn't Bleach on it's ending arc? I don't really care about Bleach, but it seems like a shame it got gypped out of having the last part animated due to being replaced by Springtime of Youth, though that was a very, very good show and I'm disappointed it's over.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 2, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The last arc will probably get animated once it's actually done, so they can do it without any filler.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But the filler is the only part of bleach that is not poo poo.

Not good. Just not poo poo.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

WickedHate posted:

Isn't Bleach on it's ending arc? I don't really care about Bleach, but it seems like a shame it got gypped out of having the last part animated due to being replaced by Springtime of Youth, though that was a very, very good show and I'm disappointed it's over.

Bleach supposedly is on its last arc, but the author has threatened it will be longer than any previous arc which would mean we still have a few more years of Bleach yet.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Omnicrom posted:

Bleach supposedly is on its last arc, but the author has threatened it will be longer than any previous arc which would mean we still have a few more years of Bleach yet.

General reminder that Kubo spent like 3 years on an arc that took place over the course of like a day.

Dude is Bad At Pacing.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I like the idea that the author of a manga "threatens" to write longer chapters.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Endorph posted:

sodomy hipster

I was into iron fisting before it was in the anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

General reminder that Kubo spent like 3 years on an arc that took place over the course of like a day.

Dude is Bad At Pacing.
To be fair, the Buu Saga in DBZ took place over like 3 days and lasted like two years.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Liver Disaster posted:

I was into iron fisting before it was in the anime.
Sounds like Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Paracelsus posted:

Sounds like Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

I don't know if iron fisting actually happened in Tetsuo though, I know there was a terrifying drill penis but I'm pretty sure that was the extent of insertables in that film.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Liver Disaster posted:

I don't know if iron fisting actually happened in Tetsuo though, I know there was a terrifying drill penis but I'm pretty sure that was the extent of insertables in that film.
I'm sure as hell not going to watch and double-check, just reading the back of the VHS cover was more than I needed to know. Or maybe that was Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer? I dunno, I'm going off of decade+-old memories of sketchy nerd shops.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Both Tetsuo movies (I've never seen the third one but I've heard it's not good) are loving great if you're a fan of Cronneberg-esque bodyhorror.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Hell yeah, Tetsuo is like the perfect student film version of a Cronenberg and Lynch joint production.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah make it a separate category like "most infamous anime of the year"
That would definitely be a discussion generator.

Having a general bad anime/opinions topic for discussions would be nice, in theory. But people would get mad and it'd get closed really quick.

As for my votes I try to avoid bad anime if I can help it so all I can throw my hat in for is Kill la Kill. Despite the costumes I didn't actually hate the first ten or eleven episodes, and if they'd left it at that arc I'd probably have left the series with an "okay" and maybe recommended it to the same kind of people who absolutely love Gurren Lagann. But then the rest of the series happened and what little plot there was fell apart, every character gimmick got amplified to an even more obnoxious degree and one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever seen in a cartoon shows up and doesn't go away until the ending.

Oh and it got really weird when that lady molested her daughter. I could have lived without that.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

looking forward to cross ange in super robot wars

If it means the slimmest hope of getting Escaflowne back then I am prepared to make that risk

(softening the blow is the relatively cool OP though and in general banpresto would do smart things like 'how about we not have a teenage girl get anally tortured')

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On the other hand the motorbike buttshot poses will triple because this Banpresto we're talking about. They made an RPG which runs on nothing but breast jokes. And then they made a sequel to that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

They made an RPG which runs on nothing but breast jokes. And then they made a sequel to that.

Where can I purchase a copy

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Go look up Endless Frontier (add EXCEED if you're looking for the sequel), then, assuming you got a DS to work with.

I would've also said Project X Zone, but unfortunately that game was a total slog, so....

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Nuebot posted:

Having a general bad anime/opinions topic for discussions would be nice, in theory. But people would get mad and it'd get closed really quick.

As for my votes I try to avoid bad anime if I can help it so all I can throw my hat in for is Kill la Kill. Despite the costumes I didn't actually hate the first ten or eleven episodes, and if they'd left it at that arc I'd probably have left the series with an "okay" and maybe recommended it to the same kind of people who absolutely love Gurren Lagann. But then the rest of the series happened and what little plot there was fell apart, every character gimmick got amplified to an even more obnoxious degree and one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever seen in a cartoon shows up and doesn't go away until the ending.

Oh and it got really weird when that lady molested her daughter. I could have lived without that.

Was the obnoxious character Nui by any chance? Haha I am curious/nosy :nyoron:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah, Nui is probably the first cartoon character in memory to make me legit mad. Just everything about her, from the out of place animation to the voice and plots around her annoyed me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The worst anime this year that I actually watched was probably Sabagebu. It wasn't garbage so much as really dull 80% of the time, with a couple funny jokes per episode. Other people here seem to really like it, but it's probably the only show I watched more than 2 episodes of before dropping (around episode 7ish maybe?)

Unfortunately I can't be bothered to sit through 20 minutes just for one or two good laughs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

Yeah, Nui is probably the first cartoon character in memory to make me legit mad. Just everything about her, from the out of place animation to the voice and plots around her annoyed me.
Congratulations, you got suckered

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Congratulations, you got suckered

How? Was it that she was supposed to be really annoying and unpleasent? Because if so, intentionally making something awful possibly makes it even worse than accidentally making a bad thing.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Uhhh yeah she was the badguy and was out to annoy and needle the protagonist. You're a real moron. It's like complaining about Iago the Parrots voice in Aladdin

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I think it would annoy me more if a character in anime had a normal voice, because that would be weird.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Uhhh yeah she was the badguy and was out to annoy and needle the protagonist. You're a real moron. It's like complaining about Iago the Parrots voice in Aladdin

You take that back, Gilbert Gottfried has a beautiful voice.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Take yourself back behind the tool shed and blow your brains out

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Take yourself back behind the tool shed and blow your brains out

http://youtu.be/5K1RcKJVbHA

Listen to those sexy dulcet tones.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The parrot from Aladdin also didn't have nearly as much screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Good thread. Big congrats to mahouka.

See you next year.

• Locked thread