Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

WickedHate posted:

The one in Cross Ange was pretty clearly just for titillation, which was obviously not the case for Kill la Kill.
Quick, someone post the frame-by-frame breakdown of the scene establishing that KlK's scene is definitively not fanservice, and that only freaks and perverts would believe the director intended for it to be titillating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

The one in Cross Ange was pretty clearly just for titillation, which was obviously not the case for Kill la Kill.

Based on...?

You read my posts about the male gaze, right?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

darkgray posted:

With its 6530 vol 1 BD sales, Cross Ange outsold Amagi Brilliant Park (5858), Shirobako (5725) and Gundam Reconguista in G (4701)! You have no right to disparage it in the face of such overwhelming support from the market.

my dying request will be to kill all anime fans, preferably on live television

you're all lucky I'm young

coathat
May 21, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Can you tell me how much lesbian prison sex I would get per episode were I to give it a watch? I only saw the first episode and the amount was "adequate"

There's a p. dece amount.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

my dying request will be to kill all anime fans

and as I sheathe my blade i will whisper "no"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Based on...?

You read my posts about the male gaze, right?

The rape scenes weren't male gazy even if you think that applies to the rest of the show. It was purely dramatic.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Then how come they made me horny?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

The rape scenes weren't male gazy even if you think that applies to the rest of the show. It was purely dramatic.

Uh, a rape or sexual assault scene doesn't suddenly lose any measure of titillation or arousal factor because of context. It's the use of sexual violence for whatever reasons in the story. It doesn't become non-sexual because you say so.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't say it wasn't sexual, just that it wasn't intended to be fanservice.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do you acknowledge that any of the show was intended to be fanservice? Do you acknowledge that the creators are in fact big fans of anime titties, in the Gladiator "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?????" sort of way?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WickedHate posted:

I don't think it's gonna excuse the rape.

gently caress You.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rangpur posted:

The worst anime of 2014 was Mahouka. There were anime with worse, more offensive premises ("help a ghost cocktease your brother or your soul will be sucked into hell!" --the pitch meeting for Recently My Sister is Unusual), and there were anime with worse animation, more's the loving pity. But man, that show combined ironclad plot armor for the male lead of the kind you never saw outside fanfiction.net before AND a spiraling hell descent into the author's Id and that of his depressingly massive fanbase.

It doesn't get 'Worst Anime' of the year when Mahouka exists but it's probably an even bigger trainwreck. Somehow.

IIRC it was written by salaryman as a light novel series? It doesn't excuse the terrible themes/ideas but I think it provides greater background story on it's origin and influences. I clicked through it as I thought the summary sounded boring and the art bland as hell.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sailor Moon Crystal
Toei should never have been involved with this remake and, I argue, it shouldn't have been a 26 episode TV anime (rather it should have been something like Hellsing Ultimate). Between a production company that is far more interested in Pretty Cure and baffling manga to script rewrites that severe no point whatsoever, Sailor Moon Crystal is just another bump in the well worn road that is PGSM fandom.

Bonus fart-in-the-face award goes to Viz's re-release of the 90's anime. The arrogance at play with a release that half cocked is blinding and it will come back to bite them in the arse if there's anything close to resembling a just God.

Cross Ange
Because if I was missing anything from Gundam Seed it was completely baseless racism, thoroughly unlikeable characters, ultraviolence and rectal bleeding from prison rape.
Someone at Sunrise has issues.

Mahouka
What did I call it on the SAO thread? Ah yes, "A Xenophobic, Darwinist, Siscon piece of poo poo." what a god awful piece of work.

Persona 4 Golden
This is on the list for basically not being the Full Metal Panic Fummofu that it could clearly have been. Straddling the line between goof off comedy and "oh, poo poo, we need to adapt the Vita content" like a tightrope walker who's slipped and landed on the rope with it between his legs, P4G is one of those anime series that just forces a sigh from my lips.

Free season 2
It's not FMP Sigma.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 31, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Do you acknowledge that any of the show was intended to be fanservice? Do you acknowledge that the creators are in fact big fans of anime titties, in the Gladiator "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?????" sort of way?

This is the gal who couldn't see the nationalism is loving Mahouka, so the answer's probably no.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

It's funny because that seems to be Cross Ange's production strategy. "WE HAVE TO LOVE-RU SHENANIGANS! WE HAVE ROBOTS! WE HAVE FUNNY ENGRISH ACRONYMS! WE HAVE COSPLAYERS! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?????"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Cross Ange
Because if I was missing anything from Gundam Seed it was completely baseless racism, thoroughly unlikeable characters, ultraviolence and rectal bleeding from prison rape.
Someone at Sunrise has issues.

Far be it from me to defend the show, but the racism was one of the few parts of the plot that was intentionally hosed up. Of course, that was ruined by the unlikable characters, but it was at least shown to be Not Okay and Hurting People's Feelings.
No, Cross Ange's biggest problem is its rampant misogyny. The entire show is nothing but women stereotypes with a dash of "women serving in the army??? lol"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why would anyone in the world watch cross ange past the ending of episode 1. except if they wanted to jerk off, i mean

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 31, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

point of return posted:

People get really upset when you say good/bad things about Kill la Kill.

Kill la Kill had good music, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhxxzUNZi-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_oyxqId7ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOt0tW26hRY

Before My Body Is Dry has pretty great engrish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNo0EhDhpBE

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

why would anyone in the world watch cross ange past the ending of episode 1. except if they wanted to jerk off, i mean

Well, if TVTropes is any indication all the rape and sexual violence is just the same as KLK to create a harrowing sense of drama, so clearly next year it'll be a contender for best anime according to certain people.

Holy gently caress, the same company who made Votoms make this poo poo?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Well, if TVTropes is any indication all the rape and sexual violence is just the same as KLK to create a harrowing sense of drama, so clearly next year it'll be a contender for best anime according to certain people.

Holy gently caress, the same company who made Votoms make this poo poo?
Sunrise is a huge company and it's not like any of the same staff were involved. Probably because half the lead staff for VOTOMS are dead at this point.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The same company that used to manufacture Zyklon B created a graffiti proof paint for use on European holocaust memorials so they could avoid vandalism

It's a company, they make poo poo people buy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

I've only seen episode 1 and it seemed pretty obvious that the racism was meant to be shown as a bad thing right from the start.

The main character is hella racist and then learns that she is part of the very race she hated? Seems like a p basic way for her to learn that maybe people aren't so different and that racism is bad~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I've only seen episode 1 and it seemed pretty obvious that the racism was meant to be shown as a bad thing right from the start.

The main character is hella racist and then learns that she is part of the very race she hated? Seems like a p basic way for her to learn that maybe people aren't so different and that racism is bad~
violent sodomy is also a good way to become less racist

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Far be it from me to defend the show, but the racism was one of the few parts of the plot that was intentionally hosed up. Of course, that was ruined by the unlikable characters, but it was at least shown to be Not Okay and Hurting People's Feelings.
No, Cross Ange's biggest problem is its rampant misogyny. The entire show is nothing but women stereotypes with a dash of "women serving in the army??? lol"
Oh there's that, too. I'm not denying it through omittion.

A good portrayal of racism stops being a point in your favour once you put babies in pet boxes. I really don't care what point the show was trying to make there but it lost me at that point.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 31, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

violent sodomy is also a good way to become less racist

This is how terrible anime reviewer Theron Martin tried to justify the scene that freaked people out:

quote:

While that scene is edgy and probably could have been done in a less fan servicey way, it is not entirely exploitive or gratuitous because a) body cavity searches are a fairly standard prison entry procedure; b) it was karmic justice for Angelise's earlier comments about Norma being “monsters,” and c) the humiliation serves the narrative purpose of stripping her of her lingering princess attitudes.

So yea, this is a show that explicitly corrects a woman's attitude through rape, which puts it in an even lower class than shows that put this weird poo poo in just for titillation.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yall would freak the gently caress out at the poo poo people write in actual literature.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's true, I would.

Edit:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coathat posted:

Yall would freak the gently caress out at the poo poo people write in actual literature.
why would i read when i have anime

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cool history fact: after the japanese trounced the russians in the russo-japanese war the european nations send observers to japan to figure out their secrets. some of these grown military men ended up attending japanese high schools (or the equivalent of that time period), living the japanese high school life to figure out their secret. a good premise for an anime imo

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
After Losing the War I Reluctantly Decided to Become a High School Student‽

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Davincie posted:

cool history fact: after the japanese trounced the russians in the russo-japanese war the european nations send observers to japan to figure out their secrets. some of these grown military men ended up attending japanese high schools (or the equivalent of that time period), living the japanese high school life to figure out their secret. a good premise for an anime imo

I would watch this too.

The twist in cross ange is that all the norma turn into dragons under specific circumstances. We think that they're going to stick with the positive exposure of their friend coming back as a dragon and then turning back into a human but instead we run from there to a mass grave the shop keeper is lighting on fire. Like I said, the idea is to take something that is by the numbers and crank everything up to see just what people are willing to put up with. Also there are not one, not two, but three organized groups that know more than the rest of the world and are taking part in destroying it. It's an 80s anime pushed way too far at every point, the only male soldier faceplants in Ange's chest/crotch at least a dozen times in his main episode and his backstory is never explained.

It is so bad, apparently it's doing well enough. These are the people you're watching cartoons with, people that pay for iron fisting.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Alder posted:

IIRC it was written by salaryman as a light novel series? It doesn't excuse the terrible themes/ideas but I think it provides greater background story on it's origin and influences. I clicked through it as I thought the summary sounded boring and the art bland as hell.
I knew about the light novels because I sought them out early on in the vain hope there was more to the series than what I'd seen. There was not. If the author wrote them in-between stints as a salaryman, that would actually explain a lot. Almost everything, in fact.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think any of it was meant in the same way as Cross Ange, or, for example, High School DxD. The rape scenes especially were in no way meant to be arousing.

Genocyber posted:

This is the gal who couldn't see the nationalism is loving Mahouka, so the answer's probably no.

Only for a little while.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
It'll forever amuse me that people will try to extract a "meaning" from how KLK progressed. I mean, the director and writers themselves admitted at the AX panel this year that it was all for shits and giggles. No commentary, even when someone brought up the scene it was played off as them trying to get a shocking background detail rather than symbolic of anything.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Yosuke posted:

It'll forever amuse me that people will try to extract a "meaning" from how KLK progressed. I mean, the director and writers themselves admitted at the AX panel this year that it was all for shits and giggles. No commentary, even when someone brought up the scene it was played off as them trying to get a shocking background detail rather than symbolic of anything.
I want to respond with a good ol' lit theory spiel about how only the story's contents matter for analysis and you can kind of disregard the author, but that actually explains why KLK was such a goddamn mess. So, score 1 for counter-Death-of-the-Author?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

coathat posted:

You mean manga?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Twiddy posted:

I want to respond with a good ol' lit theory spiel about how only the story's contents matter for analysis and you can kind of disregard the author, but that actually explains why KLK was such a goddamn mess. So, score 1 for counter-Death-of-the-Author?

Well I mean you can ignore it sure, but when people keep using author intent as an arguement baseline for the analysis...!

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Namtab posted:

You mean manga?

Light novels dude. Ever heard of them?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mugticket posted:

Light novels dude. Ever heard of them?

Please read the mahouka thread to see just how much I know about light novels

coathat
May 21, 2007

Namtab posted:

You mean manga?

Well Tezuka did write a lot of good manga full of rape and incest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

coathat posted:

Maria from For Whom The Bell Tolls would probably start some literal shaking, being a barely-legal naive and submissive rape victim who is mentally healed by having sex with the protagonist.

• Locked thread