Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's standard harem "I must find the childhood promise girl and marry her no matter what else I feel" but what makes Nisekoi better is the hilarious facial expressions.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two popular series had a crossover event even though one was bad and the other good, clearly manga is dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly that crossover is funny and shows a lot of self-awareness on the part of Nisekoi's author so, you know

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Alright here is my list of bad anime in no particular order

Sekai Seifuku: Boryaku no Zvezda - This show is what happens when terrible and uncomfortable have a child, and that child is ageless yet has the body of an 8 year old. Also there was a random episode that basically compared smokers to nazi zombies. I'm not sure how far I got, but beyond the first episode is too far

Sakura Trick - As Good Listener said, it looked like it would be fun for random anime moments, but instead it was just awkward kissing scenes, kissing cousins, kissing everything.

Sailor Moon Crystal - It's boring, it's tedious, none of the characters feel like people, just fodder, the vocal emotions don't match the stony faces, just about everything in this show is bad.

Ino-Battle wa Nichijo-kei no Naka de - This is much more disappointing than bad. The characters are alright, but it suffers from what many harem shows suffer from, and that is that the main character is just so uninteresting and unlikeable that it becomes hard to watch, especially when every character basically abandons their own personality in pursuit of this main character's ~~love~~

Persona 4: The Golden Animation - While I did kinda enjoy this, to call this an anime is kind of insulting. I feel bad for anyone who watched this without seeing any Persona 4 things before.

And of course

RWBY - I am adding this as a sixth because not only do I not count this as an anime, I don't count this as a show. Or as entertainment. Or as a story in the slightest.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Sekai Seifuku: Boryaku no Zvezda - This show is what happens when terrible and uncomfortable have a child, and that child is ageless yet has the body of an 8 year old. Also there was a random episode that basically compared smokers to nazi zombies. I'm not sure how far I got, but beyond the first episode is too far

I remember watching Zvezda. When I finished, I felt like I had just watched an elaborate multi-hour anti-smoking ad.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Also there was a random episode that basically compared smokers to nazi zombies.

What's the problem here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the bigger issue with zvezda is that it is trash for pedophiles

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davincie posted:

the bigger issue with zvezda is that it is trash for pedophiles

It's been a while since there was such a blatant "child is really XXXX years old" pedo-bait.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DRAMAtical Murder: The best episode was the one where the animation studio submitted the rough draft to be aired on TV. Idek why I bother with VN --> anime adaptations. LQ animation and strange pacing issues.

Log Horizon: It made me dislike MMOs in anime. It was supposed to be a "smarter" show than SAO but I can't say if it succeeded or not because I went to sleep after the intro. I don't think the animation stood out to me other than wow JRPGs sure love sub-menus. It's not the LN format itself but it made me realize how fetch quests are boring in-game and in anime too.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji (Wolf Girl and Black Prince): Started with Low expectations and even then it was a disappointing exp. I still miss shoujo but not the bad examples of HS relationships. Animation quality started declining right away and even famous VAs couldn't save it then.

Samurai Flamenco: I tried because I like superhero shows but too cringe-worthy in the second half with the new team members and plot elements. The first few episodes were fun then no idea wtf happened with the writing direction. Animation wasn't really impressive with more than avg scenes with characters looking awkward for no reason.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That first episode was the low point of the show, it honestly kept getting better and better (except for the fanservice episode. That was dumb). You apparently missed the joke of the episode. The entire point is that the protagonists (who are the villains) created an anti-smoking committee who enforced Nazi-like oppression against the smokers. Including having mobs dressed in uniforms. When the smokers take a stand against their oppressors, the "good guys" nuke both sides with an anti-soul bomb. The protagonists get away, and the smokers survive, showing that they have no souls and that the protagonists' petulant, misguided, over-the-top crusade to marginalize a group of people was completely justified in the setting. They learned nothing and smoking becomes an active plot point in the show. You know that Jimon's dad is a dick because he smokes a cigar and in the final battle he chain smokes cigars to power-up. His giant robot also has a cigar in its mouth all the time. It's the typical "take a premise and run it into absurdity" type of comedy, with a lot of dark humor as well.

The 8-year old thing is a fair point, unfortunately. It's the main reason I can't recommend the show to others.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Uh no dude it's loving terrible.

I mean, if goofy, ultraviolent action stuff isn't your thing it isn't your thing, but it was pretty nicely animated/choreographed for the most part, the VAs never got on my nerves, and while the plot was never really much more than a fight delivery mechanism, it did its job. Also it has one of the best gay characters in anime history and plays the gay panic jokes as "ha ha look at the stupid closed-minded shithead" rather than "ha ha look at the big gay butt-lover," which was pretty refreshing. :shobon:

laplace posted:

Also, I just want to say that Parasyte: The Maxim is loving awful, ugly, and ruins an otherwise really great manga. gently caress that show.

oh I'm sorry I didn't know this was mirror-universe ADTRW, how are things under the Fourth Reich? does my mirror counterpart have a rad goatee

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

laplace posted:

Also, I just want to say that Parasyte: The Maxim is loving awful, ugly, and ruins an otherwise really great manga. gently caress that show.

hahahahaha

I am baffled why this would come up in the same breath as loving mahouka

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 23, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

That first episode was the low point of the show, it honestly kept getting better and better (except for the fanservice episode. That was dumb). You apparently missed the joke of the episode. The entire point is that the protagonists (who are the villains) created an anti-smoking committee who enforced Nazi-like oppression against the smokers. Including having mobs dressed in uniforms. When the smokers take a stand against their oppressors, the "good guys" nuke both sides with an anti-soul bomb. The protagonists get away, and the smokers survive, showing that they have no souls and that the protagonists' petulant, misguided, over-the-top crusade to marginalize a group of people was completely justified in the setting. They learned nothing and smoking becomes an active plot point in the show. You know that Jimon's dad is a dick because he smokes a cigar and in the final battle he chain smokes cigars to power-up. His giant robot also has a cigar in its mouth all the time. It's the typical "take a premise and run it into absurdity" type of comedy, with a lot of dark humor as well.

The 8-year old thing is a fair point, unfortunately. It's the main reason I can't recommend the show to others.
i didnt read this post

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Alder posted:

Samurai Flamenco: I tried because I like superhero shows but too cringe-worthy in the second half with the new team members and plot elements. The first few episodes were fun then no idea wtf happened with the writing direction. Animation wasn't really impressive with more than avg scenes with characters looking awkward for no reason.

The 2nd part starts off shoddy as hell, then it starts getting dumb and stupid halfway down the line. Its like watching a trainwreck in progress and everytime the train is just about to crash it manages to barrel roll over back on track towards wrecking again.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Drakes posted:

The 2nd part starts off shoddy as hell, then it starts getting dumb and stupid halfway down the line. Its like watching a trainwreck in progress and everytime the train is just about to crash it manages to barrel roll over back on track towards wrecking again.
Ah, but did the train manage to do this?
If not, then I think I found your problem

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Blockhouse posted:

hahahahaha

I am baffled why this would come up in the same breath as loving mahouka

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm sorry I didn't know this was mirror-universe ADTRW, how are things under the Fourth Reich? does my mirror counterpart have a rad goatee

I watched the rest of the show and it gets better and the animation improves but it's still a long shot from its manga and it has the craziest pacing and direction. The first three episodes are probably the worst in the show, and it admittedly does get better when Shinichi's character actually stops being the weird loser they made him. The animator changes between episodes are still so stark and alarming, especially when it comes to drawing women -- sometimes they look like K-On moeblobs and othertimes they look like 90's madhouse characters. Hopefully the blurays will get better. Also the changes to Shinichi make him a super annoying and kind of jam a foot in his arc from the Manga, which is frustrating.

Also changing the setting from the 90s to the 2010's when it's actually a point in the Manga that no one has cellphones and thats how the Parasytes are able to gently caress with everyone is like, a legitimate problem that is screwing with the show that they have to write around. My favorite part in this regard is when the dad just offhandedly goes "My phone and tablet fell into the water so I had to call you from a payphone!", which is like class a "We forgot about the time period because this is supposed to be an adaptation but we uselessly meddled with the setting" writing.

Also it has really inconsistent character design/art direction, Tamiya looking like she's out of a completely different show and always looking terrifying when the point of her character is that she's supposed to be the perfect cover/be a hot teacher.

But yeah it's still not great, super disappointing for a Manga that deserves a much better adaptation. It's not Mahouka, It's not the worst thing ever, but drat is it not good compared to its source material. Literally the best thing that can be said about it is that they didn't change Migi at all and Hirano Aya is like possibly the perfect voice actor for the role.

At least it isn't the live action movie, which is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

laplace fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 23, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's loads better than the manga in every way, so to each his own. I understand where you're coming from, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't read the manga so I can't comment on the differences but I like Shinichi. He's kind of a doofus but he grows pretty quickly and he's fairly likable.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Parasyte is good and you should feel bad because you are bad

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

are the DVDs for this show uncensored?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders is utter shite. It is such a step down from the fantastic season one, that I don't even want to watch the next season.

Persona 4 The Golden focuses only on the most boring character Persona has ever featured: Marie. Marie is bad. The Adachi episodes were okay though.

Soul Eater Not! never went anywhere with the concept of training the lovely weapons and maesters. It was a decent concept too.

Fate/kaleid liner makes me feel ill just thinking about it. How can it go wrong with a universe where Kiritsugu is still alive? Oh yeah, through magical girls.

Zankyou no Terror just saddened me. I loved how it started, and the first half would go on my best list. But then Five. It's like introducing the replacements for L without killing L. Oh yeah, and getting rid of the riddles was disappointing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Parasyte is a story not a documentary

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

laplace posted:

I watched the rest of the show and it gets better and the animation improves but it's still a long shot from its manga and it has the craziest pacing and direction. The first three episodes are probably the worst in the show, and it admittedly does get better when Shinichi's character actually stops being the weird loser they made him. The animator changes between episodes are still so stark and alarming, especially when it comes to drawing women -- sometimes they look like K-On moeblobs and othertimes they look like 90's madhouse characters.
This alone proves you don't know what you're talking about. The first episode is the best looking one by far. It had the god drat character designer as the animation director so everything stayed on model. Not to mention an all star animation team (spoilers it's not madhouse people because everyone jumped ship when Mappa was formed). It's been pretty bad with regards to staying on model afterwards. The redesigned characters are much much better than the old manga art and obviously modernize the show because it's a 20+ year old manga.

e: I must point out that I actually like the show but it doesn't change the fact that it's looked like rear end since episode 2.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 23, 2014

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
For what it's worth I also hated the first few episodes of Parasyte. It felt kind of lifeless and navel-gazing, and the whole thing with the main girl was weird and pointless. I don't really care about the graphical designs, but all the characters were :geno: personified, especially the ones without aliens eating their brains.

If it gets better though I guess I should watch the rest of it. Getting mixed signals on that one though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Parasyte isn't some masterwork where every detail has some kind of deep meaning. It's a power fantasy bloody action series that was fun and did it's job well. That the adaptation has changes to the art and setting in order to speed production along and market to new fans is highly appropriate and I think they're generally doing a good job.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's loads better than the manga in every way, so to each his own. I understand where you're coming from, though.

I also think this is a really weird opinion, the anime is basically 1:1 with the manga so far. It's like Monster; neither version is really better because they're barely even different.

e:

Uznare posted:

This alone proves you don't know what you're talking about. The first episode is the best looking one by far. It had the god drat character designer as the animation director so everything stayed on model. Not to mention an all star animation team (spoilers it's not madhouse people because everyone jumped ship when Mappa was formed). It's been pretty bad with regards to staying on model afterwards. The redesigned characters are much much better than the old manga art and obviously modernize the show because it's a 20+ year old manga.

e: I must point out that I actually like the show but it doesn't change the fact that it's looked like rear end since episode 2.

It hasn't really jumped out to me as bad-looking, but it's also not fresh in my mind because of the break, and (as you're probably going to bring up) I'm not exactly an animation nerd. Do you have any gifs handy to illustrate?

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 23, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It hasn't really jumped out to me as bad-looking, but it's also not fresh in my mind because of the break, and (as you're probably going to bring up) I'm not exactly an animation nerd. Do you have any gifs handy to illustrate?

It's an exaggeration, because the show is extremely passable as it is (it looks better than quite a few things airing this season). However if you compare it to the design sheets by Tadashi Hiramatsu you can see the characters going off model in quite a few closeup shots in pretty much every episode after 1. The faces are especially notorious because it's hard to do Hiramatsu faces if you're not Hiramatsu.

So I guess my point ends up being, the animation never improved as the post I quoted said. It got worse, even if it's still not awful.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 23, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I guess that's fair, then. Now that you mention it I have kind of noticed minor little design changes between episodes, like that random one where Shinichi looked like Emiya Kiritsugu for whatever reason, which I guess is inherently an animation flaw even if it doesn't actually look bad to me.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Well, at least it isn't as terrible as the jump from Log Horizon S1 to S2. Almost as painful as Minami-Ke.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Akuma no Riddle for wasting the premise of lesbians + the absolutely hilarious ending where surprise literally everyone is alive and has a better life than before! don't ask how they survived falls off skyscrapers/being stabbed in the chest.

Nanana was a waste of a good premise too. maybe if it was two cours it would have been good

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san was a show that i watched all of because it was like 30 seconds long. it was bad. the only redeeming part of it is that pic of ukrainian soldiers watching it in between fighting russia

DokiDoki! Precure was my entrance to the precure franchise. i actually enjoyed it, probably because i marathoned it, but it was not a good show. it almost completely ignores the other characters in the team in favor of mana, who is so overpowered by the end of the show that she is directly compared to the big bang

i didn't watch any other shows i'd truly consider bad, mostly it was good stuff like kill la kill

that episode owned and gently caress smokers

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Only terrible thing I watched more than two episodes of was Ookami shoujo to kuro ouji, but goddamn was it gross. I love shoujo, but watching an abusive relationship be glorified isn't my cup of tea. When it wasn't Stockholm Syndroming the MC, it was just boring.

It had a really good ED song, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Nanana was a waste of a good premise too. maybe if it was two cours it would have been good

Nanana was a waste of at least 5 different premises, none of which meshed in any way. It holds the amazing distinction of being a (or perhaps the only) show featuring elaborate puzzles that is dumber than Phi Brain.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, if goofy, ultraviolent action stuff isn't your thing it isn't your thing, but it was pretty nicely animated/choreographed for the most part, the VAs never got on my nerves, and while the plot was never really much more than a fight delivery mechanism, it did its job. Also it has one of the best gay characters in anime history and plays the gay panic jokes as "ha ha look at the stupid closed-minded shithead" rather than "ha ha look at the big gay butt-lover," which was pretty refreshing. :shobon:
Dude I love goofy ultraviolent poo poo and positive portrayals of gay people in media, and I can still state with utter confidence that Akame ga Kill is garbage that I regret watching.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

akame ga kill is dumb but i enjoy it

at least the manga

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Uznare posted:

I meant the animation improved from the dip in quality it had in episodes 2 and 3, 3 being noticeably different than the rest of the episodes, like, literally everyone looking randomly shoujo. Episode 10 (The baseball pitch episode) was notably better than the crop before it, which is what I was referencing when I said the animation managed to improve.

Also the character designs for this show are rear end, especially compared to the old ones. Shinichi looks ridiculous, the teacher looks ridiculous, murano suddenly having red hair is ridiculous. The manga was grounded, relatively, in reality and it used that to juxtapose humanity with the weird parasytes. The anime is ridiculously anime looking for no reason, especially Shinichi, who essentially got morphed into every male nerd protagonist ever when the whole point was he was supposed to be an average dude of average build to demonstrate that the Parasytes could infect everyone, not to play into a weird lanky nerd fantasy.

That's what I mean when I say the art direction in that show is creating active problems. It's 'modernizing' everything, and changing character designs while trying to be a direct adaptation, without realizing that the art was part of the visual structure of the manga's themes. They are needing to write around that, which is an actual problem. Aside from that, the show is paced like rear end and has the most ridiculous scene transitions -- literally there is no sense of direction in the show and what little direction is there varies so much between episode that it's hard to marathon the show because it has very little visual coherence.

So I mean, you can say I don't know what I'm talking about but it's all there. I love horror, I love Parasyte's source material, and I don't mind that people like the show but it has a great number of noticeable flaws.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

laplace posted:

B-b-but the manga was better!

I see. Go on.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

I see. Go on.

Adapting something's themes and writing without paying attention to all of its setups is asking for mediocrity, as is changing things without, you know, going the full mile and changing the things that interact with them.

My point isn't "but the manga was better" but rather "wow the show's a mess and the only reason I really understand a lot of what it's doing thematically is because I've read the manga, that's a problem"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno dude 'Murano has red hair now' :qq: being some nit-picky poo poo and thinking that the anime character designs are worse than the never more than passable art that the manga has isn't really helping your case.

edit: Also I can barely even remember mobile phones being brought up and certainly not 'whoops I've dropped them into the water/no signal', if anything the anime exists in an alternate universe 21st century where tablets were invented but mobile phones weren't.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am sad kana no longer looks like a 30 year old women that Frasier would date for two episodes before breaking up due to a chain of misunderstandings started when Niles tries to throw a dinner party

• Locked thread