Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Uznare posted:

You missed the entire point of the show.

By all means, please do enlighten me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Samurai Flamenco almost made my year end best list, as it really was a cute and funny and clever show all the way through. I have no clue why it's so divisive, at least among people who made it through the tone change in episode 7. The middle arc with the Flamengers is the weakest, but how the hell does that ruin the show? Even that arc had a cool ending, and then lead to something entirely different that was awesome.

It didn't do anything particularly profound and it looked like rear end, but it was the kind of original and fun show that I wish we got more of.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anyone who would cut Minister Armstrong and Alien Flamenco is a monster.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
See the problem with this thread is that literally everyone in it has been wildly, astoundingly incorrect.

The single worst anime of 2014 is Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun.

This is a Very Bad Show. Like there's no redeeming factors at all. The animation itself makes Thermae Romae look like a Ghibli film. The hero needs to be a virgin to power his big dumb robot so of course everyone is always trying to get in his pants. Music is pretty awful. Fanservicey dreck, doesn't even manage to accomplish titillation because they use photoshop morph tools to do boob bouncing which has the effect of looking like they're just dragging jello around.

I wish I could vote for it twenty times. Like seriously, this show makes everything else this season look like a masterpiece by comparison. People of this thread, I beseech you. Watch only the required three episodes of this show so you can understand the depths of true depravity and terribleness. Every other show mentioned thus far will pale in comparison. You will WANT to watch Kill La Kill after it to wash out the taste, that is how far I am willing to go.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rodyle posted:

Anyone who would cut Minister Armstrong and Alien Flamenco is a monster.

Fair enough, I stand corrected:

Mikl posted:

Useless: the first arc ends at episode 10, and the final arc picks up at episode 19 (of 22); you could entirely skip episodes 11-18, rework the intro of episode 19 a bit to tie into episode 10 rather than 18 ("a bit" in that it's just the main character reminiscing about events, just change a couple lines of dialogue), and still lose nothing only a couple worthwhile things.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This first arc ends at the last part of episode 7 (which was hilarious, and a thing worth watching just for the look on your face when episode 7 happens), but the arc after that is still good.

People dropping the show after that arc ends at episode 10 I could totally understand.

The ending is pretty good too though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

op i watched every episode of samurai flamenco, its horrible please add it to my list

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gyra_Solune posted:

The single worst anime of 2014 is Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun.

I watched the first three minutes of the first episode. 1 photoshop boob bounce and holy poo poo were they working hard to try to make those stills look exciting (Here is an image, let us dramatically zoom in or out while we apply some sort of motion filter. And occasionally shaking something in the foreground.).

I think South Park has better animation.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 30, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

op i watched every episode of samurai flamenco, its horrible please add it to my list

Just to be sure because you never bold anything, your list is currently

Log Horizon 2
Zvezda
Samurai Flamenco

Please confirm/deny

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can't say i watched more then 3 minutes of zvevzda but sure throw it on there

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hey I was just passing by and I was wondering why this thread has so many posts

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

see you tomorrow posted:

Because it's the best worst thread.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

see you tomorrow posted:

ADTRW loves bad anime.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I actually almost like what the middle arc does to the narrative of Samurai Flamenco re: constructing a world where Lovecraftian Cosmic horrors spill into the real world and despite the characters attempting to continue living life normally still cannot maintain reality. Then I remember that the best part about the final arc is that it's grounded entirely in reality, which like completely breaks the themes the middle arc attempted poorly to construct.

Samurai Flamenco is not good, I wouldn't say its the worst, but it tries? It mostly fails. Probably not actually worth watching the whole thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

Probably not actually worth watching the whole thing.

It's fun though, so I think people should give it a shot!

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

see you tomorrow posted:

People get really upset when you say good/bad things about Kill la Kill.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Samurai Flamenco is just a very schizophrenic show. Obviously, it's basically a tribute to tokusatsu shows as it basically runs through the genre, but that whiplash when it jumps from realistic logic to kamen rider logic to super sentai logic then back to realistic logic still bothers the hell outta me. Not the worst show, but not one I'd be quick to recommend. Had a decent twist with the police dude though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

I actually almost like what the middle arc does to the narrative of Samurai Flamenco re: constructing a world where Lovecraftian Cosmic horrors spill into the real world and despite the characters attempting to continue living life normally still cannot maintain reality. Then I remember that the best part about the final arc is that it's grounded entirely in reality, which like completely breaks the themes the middle arc attempted poorly to construct.

This was what was cool about episodes 7-10

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

heck id be remiss if i didnt say that i have had thoughts of getting kissed all over by the girls from kill la kill

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

heck id be remiss if i didnt say that i have had thoughts of getting kissed all over by the girls from kill la kill

I just wish Satsuki would do something about those eyebrows, i mean jeez you'd think with all that cash you could afford to get them taken care of

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

ninjewtsu posted:

This was what was cool about episodes 7-10

Yeah. I just mean to say that there was some potential in that middle arc to demonstrate that the buck doesn't just stop once things get ridiculous, but it completely forgets that by the end, which is the real fault of the middle arc aside from being hideously boring and under developed.

Gyra_Solune posted:

I just wish Satsuki would do something about those eyebrows, i mean jeez you'd think with all that cash you could afford to get them taken care of

Satsuki's eyebrows were the best part about Kill la Kill

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Allarion posted:

Samurai Flamenco is just a very schizophrenic show. Obviously, it's basically a tribute to tokusatsu shows as it basically runs through the genre, but that whiplash when it jumps from realistic logic to kamen rider logic to super sentai logic then back to realistic logic still bothers the hell outta me. Not the worst show, but not one I'd be quick to recommend. Had a decent twist with the police dude though.

What bothered me the most is how the beginning had a lot of potential but then S2 happened then it just fell apart. I'd forgive it if had a bad beginning, ok middle, and bad ending since 95% of anime series have poorly written finale.

I trusted you anime :cripes:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unlike most anime, Samurai Flamenco actually had a really good ending.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Unlike most anime, Samurai Flamenco actually had a really good ending.

It's difficult for me to say as I gave up after the sudden change in story style midway. MMMV.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

can't say i watched more then 3 minutes of zvevzda but sure throw it on there

Smoker detected

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hey there guys I'm a peruvian goon lurkin on the anime forums. First I would like to thank this place because I learned about Ping Pong because of you. It was a beautiful show that I rewatched 4 times already first with my friends (who are not into anime but into ping pong / sports) then with my gf and lastly with my family. The story is just fantastic, Peru and South America in general isn't big on Ping Pong but I can AND relate to one of the ending scenes where a baby is holding a racket while playing with his parents. That stuff happens a lot with soccer balls around here, I never imagined an anime could convey that beautiful message without being, let's be honest here, creepy. That brings me to KlK and pretty much all the weird stuff you are listing here. I remember posting on the KlK thread because I thought it was way too much for me. Who knows, perhaps I'm too laidback and/or old but I just found it too creepy and well, shameful. Like, if I had to watch the series with ANYONE I would just feel dumb and just embarrassed . That being said, I stopped watching it after I heard the very good theme of the band girl and turns out later in the show a girl gets fingered by her mom.

Oh well, now as for the reason of why I'm posting all of this boring crap. I keep hearing over and over about this LOGH series who is supposed to be very good. I don't mind long series or niche stories. I just wanted to know if there is a sub in particular I should look for. On cult series the translation IS very important (rewatching The Wire once I improved my english skills and I stopped using the dubs was SUCH an experience for me). Also, happy new year ADTRW!

turboraton fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 30, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

logh has only the one set of subs, i believe

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

turboraton posted:

Hey there guys I'm a peruvian goon lurkin on the anime forums. First I would like to thank this place because I learned about Ping Pong because of you. It was a beautiful show that I rewatched 4 times already first with my friends (who are not into anime but into ping pong / sports) then with my gf and lastly with my family. The story is just fantastic, Peru and South America in general isn't big on Ping Pong but I can AND relate to one of the ending scenes where a baby is holding a racket while playing with his parents. That stuff happens a lot with soccer balls around here, I never imagined an anime could convey that beautiful message without being, let's be honest here, creepy.

That brings me to KlK and pretty much all the weird stuff you are listing here. I remember posting on the KlK thread because I thought it was way too much for me. Who knows, perhaps I'm too laidback and/or old but I just found it too creepy and well, shameful. Like, if I had to watch the series with ANYONE I would just feel dumb and just embarrassed . That being said, I stopped watching it after I heard the very good theme of the band girl and turns out later in the show a girl gets fingered by her mom. Oh well, now as for the reason of why I'm posting all of this boring crap. I keep hearing over and over about this LOGH series who is supposed to be very good. I don't mind long series or niche stories. I just wanted to know if there is a sub in particular I should look for. On cult series the translation IS very important (rewatching The Wire once I improved my english skills and I stopped using the dubs was SUCH an experience for me). Also, happy new year ADTRW!

hello and welcome to the anime forums

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

logh has only the one set of subs, i believe
does anyone have that logh edit where the characters are arguing about yellow subs vs white subs

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I retract my vote for Cross Ange since the twist in the latest episode, this may be the most late eighties anime this decade.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Liver Disaster posted:

I retract my vote for Cross Ange since the twist in the latest episode, this may be the most late eighties anime this decade.

You might as well spill it, not like the rest of us are watching.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Liver Disaster posted:

I don't think it's gonna excuse the rape.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It won't, but I am still curious to find out. It's not a show I particularly want to watch, but hearing anything about it besides "irredeemable trainwreck of rape and misogyny" piques my interest. What else could there possibly be to the show?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
With its 6530 vol 1 BD sales, Cross Ange outsold Amagi Brilliant Park (5858), Shirobako (5725) and Gundam Reconguista in G (4701)! You have no right to disparage it in the face of such overwhelming support from the market.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

WickedHate posted:

The irony is causing my physical pain

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The worst anime of 2014 was Mahouka. There were anime with worse, more offensive premises ("help a ghost cocktease your brother or your soul will be sucked into hell!" --the pitch meeting for Recently My Sister is Unusual), and there were anime with worse animation, more's the loving pity. But man, that show combined ironclad plot armor for the male lead of the kind you never saw outside fanfiction.net before AND a spiraling hell descent into the author's Id and that of his depressingly massive fanbase.

Cross-Ange is... Christ, where do I even begin? It's a '70s era sexploitation woman-in-prison movie, only instead of working on a chain gang they occasionally have to ride their gundams out to fight dragons. Sorry, DRAGONS, but in addition to being a screamingly bad acronym they are in fact also giant fire-breathing lizards. Think about the most heavy-handed, overwrought unintentionally tragi-comic way this could unfold: you are probably very close to the actual plot. Come episode 12 they unleash, in no particular order: reincarnations, parallel worlds, God, and the DRAGONS are made out of people. Yep.

It doesn't get 'Worst Anime' of the year when Mahouka exists but it's probably an even bigger trainwreck. Somehow.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

glomkettle posted:

The irony is causing my physical pain

:ironicat:

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 31, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

WickedHate posted:

So a show's bad just for depicting rape?

"Guys you don't get it this rape scene is like a-bloo-bloo-bloo and that rape seen is like wooty-wooty-wooty-wooty! Only one of them is acceptable!"

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Rangpur posted:

The worst anime of 2014 was Mahouka. There were anime with worse, more offensive premises ("help a ghost cocktease your brother or your soul will be sucked into hell!" --the pitch meeting for Recently My Sister is Unusual), and there were anime with worse animation, more's the loving pity. But man, that show combined ironclad plot armor for the male lead of the kind you never saw outside fanfiction.net before AND a spiraling hell descent into the author's Id and that of his depressingly massive fanbase.

Cross-Ange is... Christ, where do I even begin? It's a '70s era sexploitation woman-in-prison movie, only instead of working on a chain gang they occasionally have to ride their gundams out to fight dragons. Sorry, DRAGONS, but in addition to being a screamingly bad acronym they are in fact also giant fire-breathing lizards. Think about the most heavy-handed, overwrought unintentionally tragi-comic way this could unfold: you are probably very close to the actual plot. Come episode 12 they unleash, in no particular order: reincarnations, parallel worlds, God, and the DRAGONS are made out of people. Yep.

It doesn't get 'Worst Anime' of the year when Mahouka exists but it's probably an even bigger trainwreck. Somehow.

Can you tell me how much lesbian prison sex I would get per episode were I to give it a watch? I only saw the first episode and the amount was "adequate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

"Guys you don't get it this rape scene is like a-bloo-bloo-bloo and that rape seen is like wooty-wooty-wooty-wooty! Only one of them is acceptable!"

The one in Cross Ange was pretty clearly just for titillation, which was obviously not the case for Kill la Kill.

• Locked thread