Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The worst anime of 2014 was Mahouka. There were anime with worse, more offensive premises ("help a ghost cocktease your brother or your soul will be sucked into hell!" --the pitch meeting for Recently My Sister is Unusual), and there were anime with worse animation, more's the loving pity. But man, that show combined ironclad plot armor for the male lead of the kind you never saw outside fanfiction.net before AND a spiraling hell descent into the author's Id and that of his depressingly massive fanbase.

Cross-Ange is... Christ, where do I even begin? It's a '70s era sexploitation woman-in-prison movie, only instead of working on a chain gang they occasionally have to ride their gundams out to fight dragons. Sorry, DRAGONS, but in addition to being a screamingly bad acronym they are in fact also giant fire-breathing lizards. Think about the most heavy-handed, overwrought unintentionally tragi-comic way this could unfold: you are probably very close to the actual plot. Come episode 12 they unleash, in no particular order: reincarnations, parallel worlds, God, and the DRAGONS are made out of people. Yep.

It doesn't get 'Worst Anime' of the year when Mahouka exists but it's probably an even bigger trainwreck. Somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Alder posted:

IIRC it was written by salaryman as a light novel series? It doesn't excuse the terrible themes/ideas but I think it provides greater background story on it's origin and influences. I clicked through it as I thought the summary sounded boring and the art bland as hell.
I knew about the light novels because I sought them out early on in the vain hope there was more to the series than what I'd seen. There was not. If the author wrote them in-between stints as a salaryman, that would actually explain a lot. Almost everything, in fact.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber is about a man whose wife murders him on a hunting safari because he developed the spine to stand-up to the modern (1936) American woman's harpyish, controlling ways. All it needs to be a Mahouka side-story is for Tatsuya to drop by, rebuild Macomber's head with magic and scold his wife on a woman's proper place.

...Hemingway, also wrote For Whom The Bell Tolls come to think of it. Did he have anything to say about wizards?

• Locked thread