Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of RWBy is them pumping up the team dynamic but the leads barely say like ten words to each other

still better than mahouka though because at least it isn't actively racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly that crossover is funny and shows a lot of self-awareness on the part of Nisekoi's author so, you know

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

That first episode was the low point of the show, it honestly kept getting better and better (except for the fanservice episode. That was dumb). You apparently missed the joke of the episode. The entire point is that the protagonists (who are the villains) created an anti-smoking committee who enforced Nazi-like oppression against the smokers. Including having mobs dressed in uniforms. When the smokers take a stand against their oppressors, the "good guys" nuke both sides with an anti-soul bomb. The protagonists get away, and the smokers survive, showing that they have no souls and that the protagonists' petulant, misguided, over-the-top crusade to marginalize a group of people was completely justified in the setting. They learned nothing and smoking becomes an active plot point in the show. You know that Jimon's dad is a dick because he smokes a cigar and in the final battle he chain smokes cigars to power-up. His giant robot also has a cigar in its mouth all the time. It's the typical "take a premise and run it into absurdity" type of comedy, with a lot of dark humor as well.

The 8-year old thing is a fair point, unfortunately. It's the main reason I can't recommend the show to others.
i didnt read this post

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't read the manga so I can't comment on the differences but I like Shinichi. He's kind of a doofus but he grows pretty quickly and he's fairly likable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay, wow, you got me, they mentioned mobile phones once, show ruined.

If you honestly think that this is crazy anime hair colour rather than normal person hair colour I don't know what to say.

that's brown to me. Very vaguely red brown. It's a perfectly reasonable hair color for a human being to have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ping Pong

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

that's funny because a good third of that thread is people swearing up and down that Korra is definitely not anime no sir, it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT than you degenerate japanese fucks
it owns because the dudes who made it are giant turbonerds who loved FLCL

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Airbender starts pretty silly and uninteresting, but it eventually gets pretty good. Korra is really uneven, and there's some god awful relationship drama in the first two books, but book 3 and 4 are also pretty okay, though there's still some awkward moments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didnt read any of these posts, either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

13:30 - far shot of satsuki hanging in the cage
13:34 - shot of satsuki’s feet, ragged and hanging, Ragyo laughing. Panning up to Satsuki’s face until 13:43, without pausing to stare at her boobs like so many other animes
13:43 - close-up of Satsuki’s face (look of rage at 13:53)
13:54 - Looking at Ragyo talking to Satsuki
13:58 - medium-far shot of Satsuki, her body is darkened rather than well-lit. Ragyo gloating
14:11 - beginning of bad touch scene. The lighting of Ragyo is bright, the lighting on Satsuki is dark, guiding the eye to Ragyo, not Satsuki.
14:21 - Four second butt shot
14:25 - Close-up of a look of rage on Satsuki’s face
14:29 - Close-up of Ragyo’s face. Gloating.
14:36 - shot panning downwards from above Satuki’s face to her face. Seven seconds. No cleavage.
14:43 to 15:39 - Backstory.
15:40 - Far panning shot of cage.
15:56 - Butt slap.
15:57 - Shot of Ragyo and Satsuki’s face. This time, the lighting is on Satsuki.
16:03 - Closeup of Satsuki’s face into a close-up of Ragyo’s face. Still enraged / still gloating
16:09 - Shot of Satsuki’s legs from halfway down her thighs and panning downwards.
16:17 - Backwards shot of a bad touch sweeping down from Satsuki’s chest down to her behind.
16:28 - From Satsuki’s face into Ragyo’s face.
16:36 - Butt slap.
16:37 - Far shot of cage. Dark. More butt slaps and Ragyo emphasizing how much she wants Satsuki to hate her.
16:40 - Close up of faces. Butt slaps continue.
16:44 - Satsuki’s face, still mad. Still slapping. Maniacal laughter from Ragyo.
16:51 - End of the scene.

Let's recap -
lots of exposition
no lingering on boobs
lighting that deliberately de-emphasized Satsuki's body
lots of focus on the faces
fostering Satsuki's anger made a part of the conversation deliberately

If you think they spent a bunch of time on Satsuki's body you were paying attention to the wrong loving thing and you're using disgust to justify voyeurism. The scene wasn't fanservice. God drat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

"Dig Deep and Defend Your Love For This Thing We Don't Like WickedHate, Only the Longest Dissertation Will Do"

Or just let him like what he likes, who cares
i put sword art online ii in my best anime of 2014 list where the gently caress is my trial by fire

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

i would but all i know about it is the Two Years Worth of Semen part

that was only in the web version that the dude wrote when he was in like high school

still hilarious but its Not Canon and the dude seemed appropriately ashamed of it when it got dug back up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Wait, does that take place when they're still inside the game? gently caress I knew I did the right thing on giving that show a pass. It's huge popularity dropped like a stone by the time it ended.
It's not an actual thing that happens

that said giving it a pass is probably a good call

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

No he's right, Japanese kissing is almost universally disgusting. And, in many animes it is portrayed as borderline sexual assault even on willing subjects.

I remember some weird mecha anime/future school hijinks a while back a pilot went berserk from his machine connection and raped a girl,but she tried to act like it wasn't a big deal, whereas when someone is trick-kissed in anime its "I'm soiled forever just let me die".
hrm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pan to the streets of NEO-TOKYO. There is a light rain. The Gundam statue looks as if it is crying.

It is the year 2069. Only one rear end in a top hat has gone unfingered. The name of its owner?

Laplace. Reg Date: Oct 9, 2012.

Objective: Get back home without being kancho'd.

This is his story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I can't fathom how so many people are taking "fanservice" parts of the show and thinking it's one hundred percent sincere.
It's tongue-in-cheek and they're having fun with it, but that doesn't mean it's a 'parody' or meant to be some ownage stab at fanservice at anime. It's still clearly big tits because big tits are cool, not any deeper meaning.

Dude directed Gurren Lagann. If he had a problem with fanservice, Yoko Littner wouldn't be a character that exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Why are people trying to say Kill la Kill wasn't a horny time? Why does this forum always try to pretend everything isn't horny?
because if they like it clearly its actually deep and smart and cant actually be weird or creepy in any way whatsoever

because they like it, you see. and theyre a Good Anime Fan, not one of those creepy weirdos, so if they like something, it must be subversive deep on a level beyond what the average person sees, and not just What It Is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really understand the perspective where it's bad to enjoy things in a sexual way. It probably stems from people who post here mostly being individuals who were or continue to be sexually frustrated and harbor resentment towards people who are not. Like the cognitive dissonance caused by their childishly inflated sense of self worth and their inability to succeed sexually caused them to view sexual inclinations as base and crass. This is just for the aggregate, of course. The deeper you read into any ADTRW thread in which the show has sexual themes or imagery the more you start to encounter individuals with progressively more skewed and transparent views on what sex represents. Me personally, I would like to have sex with anime and exciting developments in virtual reality technology which are driven by the free market indicate that this is a very cool idea.
i dont have a problem with Anime Titties - i dont really have interest in fanservice shows and it kind of distracts from the plot if its shoehorned into a show that's actually attempting to have one, but i dont mind it existing - but i dont like how common it is for it to be something that the female characters don't actually want. like 'oh no my clothes got torn' 'oh no the protagonist walked in on me in the shower' 'oh no this sexy outfit forced itself on me'

fictional characters aren't real obviously but it still makes things kind of uncomfortable. like, a character we're supposed to feel sympathy for 99% of the time is in an uncomfortable, embarrassing position, but this time we're supposed to stop caring about her as a character and find the anime titties hot. fanservice is a lot easier to laugh off or accept as part of the show if its a character actively choosing to present themselves that way, or just a thing that happens without the anime girl being halfway to tears.

and that's my serious post on pantyshots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yes, clearly everyone should watch a long, detailed, niche space opera. Anyone who doesn't want to deal with that is just uncultured and not worthy of anime.
clearly everyone should watch a ping pong anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

its the samurai warriors one i got for being a loyal fan and powerful warrior
my guess was sengoku basara, actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm very stupid, but yea The Wire is actually very easy to appreciate when compared to a deliberately niche and indulgent show like LOGH. I actually do think the show is super cool, but the recommend LOGH constantly thing is best when it's kind of a joke.
buy this man a 'watch legend of the galactic heroes' avatar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

now, im not saying not liking logh makes you a pedophile, but if you just look at the facts...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also galactic heroes isn't really niche because of its content, its niche because it's like 150 episodes long

who has time for that poo poo besides hardcore anime nerds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The series ends at the perfect length and is engaging the whole way through. I guess if you're a brainless ADHD baby whose attention flits from thing to thing every two minutes it might be hard for you, and for that you have my pity!
or, you know, i'm an adult with commitments that make spending half a year or more watching a single anime kind of unappealing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

logh is the game of thrones of anime
they should make a game of thrones anime

i mean, supernatural: the anime happened

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG0JDk7sxIY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

be sure to stick around for Carry On, My Wayward Son

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I am not going to watch that show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone meet behind the caf after school, Jeremy said he can go Super Saiyan for real and he's going to prove it
I knew a football player in high school who would watch his DBZ tapes and skip to the super saiyan transformations the day of a game to psych himself up

that dude was loving cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

logh has only the one set of subs, i believe
does anyone have that logh edit where the characters are arguing about yellow subs vs white subs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why would anyone in the world watch cross ange past the ending of episode 1. except if they wanted to jerk off, i mean

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 31, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Well, if TVTropes is any indication all the rape and sexual violence is just the same as KLK to create a harrowing sense of drama, so clearly next year it'll be a contender for best anime according to certain people.

Holy gently caress, the same company who made Votoms make this poo poo?
Sunrise is a huge company and it's not like any of the same staff were involved. Probably because half the lead staff for VOTOMS are dead at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I've only seen episode 1 and it seemed pretty obvious that the racism was meant to be shown as a bad thing right from the start.

The main character is hella racist and then learns that she is part of the very race she hated? Seems like a p basic way for her to learn that maybe people aren't so different and that racism is bad~
violent sodomy is also a good way to become less racist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

coathat posted:

Yall would freak the gently caress out at the poo poo people write in actual literature.
why would i read when i have anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

I think the only subforums that actually like their subject are GWS and IZ.
Goons in Platoons?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

So you're saying the only way to save Sunrise is to follow the money?
looking forward to cross ange in super robot wars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Nana Mizuki. She plays the lead in Cross Ange.
And the lead in a lot of other things. She's a very successful and popular voice actor/singer. I imagine a lot of people bought the blu-ray just to scalp the tickets later on and make their money back.

Basically, wait until Volume 2 sales come in before declaring anime dead and Cross Ange a massive success.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WitchFetish posted:

Hopefully not, I don't want it to become mainstream.

I kinda want to remain an underground anime connoisseur of refined taste.
sodomy hipster

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The last arc will probably get animated once it's actually done, so they can do it without any filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

General reminder that Kubo spent like 3 years on an arc that took place over the course of like a day.

Dude is Bad At Pacing.
To be fair, the Buu Saga in DBZ took place over like 3 days and lasted like two years.

• Locked thread