Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

laplace posted:

I watched the rest of the show and it gets better and the animation improves but it's still a long shot from its manga and it has the craziest pacing and direction. The first three episodes are probably the worst in the show, and it admittedly does get better when Shinichi's character actually stops being the weird loser they made him. The animator changes between episodes are still so stark and alarming, especially when it comes to drawing women -- sometimes they look like K-On moeblobs and othertimes they look like 90's madhouse characters.
This alone proves you don't know what you're talking about. The first episode is the best looking one by far. It had the god drat character designer as the animation director so everything stayed on model. Not to mention an all star animation team (spoilers it's not madhouse people because everyone jumped ship when Mappa was formed). It's been pretty bad with regards to staying on model afterwards. The redesigned characters are much much better than the old manga art and obviously modernize the show because it's a 20+ year old manga.

e: I must point out that I actually like the show but it doesn't change the fact that it's looked like rear end since episode 2.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It hasn't really jumped out to me as bad-looking, but it's also not fresh in my mind because of the break, and (as you're probably going to bring up) I'm not exactly an animation nerd. Do you have any gifs handy to illustrate?

It's an exaggeration, because the show is extremely passable as it is (it looks better than quite a few things airing this season). However if you compare it to the design sheets by Tadashi Hiramatsu you can see the characters going off model in quite a few closeup shots in pretty much every episode after 1. The faces are especially notorious because it's hard to do Hiramatsu faces if you're not Hiramatsu.

So I guess my point ends up being, the animation never improved as the post I quoted said. It got worse, even if it's still not awful.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 23, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

You missed the entire point of the show.

• Locked thread