Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

1.Mahouka. -Aggressively- boring to the point of being unwatchable. Good setting, but the plot, factions and main characters are all awful. Author has some weird hang-ups on women's clothes, foreign countries and apparently the millennial generation. The main character is an emotionless, unlikable Marty Stu. He pulls powers out of his rear end and is never in any danger ever. Second to him is his sister Miyuki who has an unhealthy obsession with him, but will never, ever do anything untoward because the author has LNs to sell. The entire conceit of the story is quickly rendered moot because Tatsuya is Just So Awesome. There are no stakes in this show and everyone except for terrorists is a Randian rear end in a top hat. This image tells you all you need to know, it captures the show shockingly well:

2. Wizard Barristers started off strong but went downhill fast. The main character is like a really worthless Phoenix Wright and she progressively gets dumber as the show trudges along. The other cast members get even worse, if such a thing were possible, especially the rival who goes from a stern, but justified professional to a snippy, shallow bitch. The show had some infamous budget problems as seen in the last two episodes. I hate it because it squandered so much potential and didn't even have the decency to be enjoyable for the action alone.

3. Akame ga Kill. I know goons like this show, but it's really, really bad. Chaika's existence means there is pretty much no reason to watch this show ever. The fights are boring, the animation has obvious shortcuts, the characters are cardboard thin and the main cast is aggressively unlikable. It flies by on cheap exploitation and gore, but that is not nearly enough to carry it. The biggest nail in its coffin is the cast. If they weren't composed of cliche anime tropes (there's the tsundere! There's the cool dispassionate sword person! etc) this show might have been worth watching, but the writers clearly couldn't give a poo poo about that, so it's not. The show also does a thing I hate, where it sexualizes characters or situations, then gives a "reasonable" explanation why the character/situation was sexualized to tut-tut the audience for assuming the show was going for the lowest common denominator. gently caress you show, that is exactly what you are doing and it is disingenuous and pathetic.

4. Glassslip the second I remember what this show was about, I will explain why it is on this list. It was just a giant vortex of boring. Had little to do with glassmaking, which was a real loving shame. Especially since this show looked really, really nice.

5. Rail Wars You. Had. One. loving. Job. Animate this. There. You're done. I would have thrown money at the monitor and bought the Blu Ray. Instead it was just worthless T&A show that somehow had all the fun dry-pressed out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Poniard posted:

I actually want to change my answer to this.

Eh. It's inoffensive and has some fun fight scenes. The episodic nature means that even if an episode is bad, it only lasts for like 10 mins. RWBY's biggest sin is that Ohm can't get over himself, but it's at least watchable. That's way more than what you can say for quite a few shows in the OP.
I mean it's your opinion, but considering Mahouka is on the list can you really say that RWBY belongs here?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Still waiting for someone who's watched enough of Recently, My Sister Is Unusual to justify putting it on their list. :unsmigghh:

I watched this show in exchange for getting Batman: AA on Steam. I only made through 1.5 episodes before I quit. And I skipped through them a lot. That show is even more awful than you can imagine.

Actually. Bulletstorm is on sale on Steam. Whoever does a three episode summary will get a new gift in their library!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Sekai Seifuku: Boryaku no Zvezda - This show is what happens when terrible and uncomfortable have a child, and that child is ageless yet has the body of an 8 year old. Also there was a random episode that basically compared smokers to nazi zombies. I'm not sure how far I got, but beyond the first episode is too far

That first episode was the low point of the show, it honestly kept getting better and better (except for the fanservice episode. That was dumb). You apparently missed the joke of the episode. The entire point is that the protagonists (who are the villains) created an anti-smoking committee who enforced Nazi-like oppression against the smokers. Including having mobs dressed in uniforms. When the smokers take a stand against their oppressors, the "good guys" nuke both sides with an anti-soul bomb. The protagonists get away, and the smokers survive, showing that they have no souls and that the protagonists' petulant, misguided, over-the-top crusade to marginalize a group of people was completely justified in the setting. They learned nothing and smoking becomes an active plot point in the show. You know that Jimon's dad is a dick because he smokes a cigar and in the final battle he chain smokes cigars to power-up. His giant robot also has a cigar in its mouth all the time. It's the typical "take a premise and run it into absurdity" type of comedy, with a lot of dark humor as well.

The 8-year old thing is a fair point, unfortunately. It's the main reason I can't recommend the show to others.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'm suddenly seeing Rail Wars! pop up a lot. I saw a few episodes here and there, but for the most part it looked like a massive ad for Japan's railways mixed with a bit of romantic hijinks. It seemed fairly interesting given how much detail they went into about the trains at first.

"seemed" is the keyword.

EDIT: I mean we're talking about a country that has this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kor5nHtZQ
Surely it has a lot to loving say about the railway system. Throw some train facts, amusing anecdotes, add some anime wackiness if you so must, make it a bit unhinged and serve. Either make it Trapeze only with trains instead of mental health, or go full anime and do "multi-track drifting fite da powa!". This just became a cookie-cutter fanservice show with a train theme. And they can't even maintain that.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 27, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

World Eight posted:

Now to go watch every show that has been mentioned in this thread so far. :suicide:

Don't watch Mahouka man. I really won't feel right if my posts somehow, in some way, make people watch even one episode of that boring-rear end show :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Do you acknowledge that any of the show was intended to be fanservice? Do you acknowledge that the creators are in fact big fans of anime titties, in the Gladiator "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?????" sort of way?

It's funny because that seems to be Cross Ange's production strategy. "WE HAVE TO LOVE-RU SHENANIGANS! WE HAVE ROBOTS! WE HAVE FUNNY ENGRISH ACRONYMS! WE HAVE COSPLAYERS! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?????"

ConanThe3rd posted:

Cross Ange
Because if I was missing anything from Gundam Seed it was completely baseless racism, thoroughly unlikeable characters, ultraviolence and rectal bleeding from prison rape.
Someone at Sunrise has issues.

Far be it from me to defend the show, but the racism was one of the few parts of the plot that was intentionally hosed up. Of course, that was ruined by the unlikable characters, but it was at least shown to be Not Okay and Hurting People's Feelings.
No, Cross Ange's biggest problem is its rampant misogyny. The entire show is nothing but women stereotypes with a dash of "women serving in the army??? lol"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Namtab posted:

- The requirement for a 3 ep test minimum kept the thread focused on things that people had actually watched. I'd say asking for more episodes minimum would risk losing votes due to the sunk cost fallacy, my reasoning against less is explained in the OP.

Yeah definitely. I would not be able to take more than three episodes on most of the shows I listed.

Namtab posted:

- I think giving people a maximum of 5 choices was a little high and is probably why 3 of the top 5 spots have joint "winners". I personally feel that 3 choices would have helped focus things a little.

Eh. This one could go either way. I definitely only had 4, with only the vague haze of Glasslip, but I'm sure people had all 5.

Namtab posted:

- Allowing discussion and debate around choices was a definite success.

Yup.

DrPaper posted:

For an anime board you guys sure hate anime

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice.
And she said,
"We are all prisoners here,
Of our own device"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

darkgray posted:

With its 6530 vol 1 BD sales, Cross Ange outsold Amagi Brilliant Park (5858), Shirobako (5725) and Gundam Reconguista in G (4701)! You have no right to disparage it in the face of such overwhelming support from the market.

This is from a while back, but why?

It's a show with bad CG, bad action and piggy backs off other anime. Its plot is nonsensical, its worldbuilding is retarded and all the characters are unlikable to the extreme. You could probably find better tits elsewhere if that's why you were watching this show.
The only thing this show offers is misogyny and shocking swerves. Or is that all it takes to win the market over? It doesn't even look good, with the animators clearly not giving a poo poo towards the end.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah make it a separate category like "most infamous anime of the year"
That would definitely be a discussion generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

On the other hand the motorbike buttshot poses will triple because this Banpresto we're talking about. They made an RPG which runs on nothing but breast jokes. And then they made a sequel to that.

• Locked thread