Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This thread is a trick trying to get me to admit all of the bad anime that I've watched and I'm not going to fall for it no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Congrats to Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying), who wins this years longest title award, and was the one that officially breaks the tables on my web browser.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This thread is longer than the best anime thread. Good job.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
U taKE tHAT BACK

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I like how KlK is the only one not creepy, apparantly

Also, how dare a show include elements that appeal to specific markets :argh:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two popular series had a crossover event even though one was bad and the other good, clearly manga is dead.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Parasyte isn't some masterwork where every detail has some kind of deep meaning. It's a power fantasy bloody action series that was fun and did it's job well. That the adaptation has changes to the art and setting in order to speed production along and market to new fans is highly appropriate and I think they're generally doing a good job.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Why are people trying to say Kill la Kill wasn't a horny time? Why does this forum always try to pretend everything isn't horny?

Someone on this forum said The Circumstances in My Home's Bathtub wasn't homoerotic. I'll let you know, I found it very erotic, and also homo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I learned from this thread is that WickedHate thinks KLK is a more important anime than the people who created it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the shojo manga is when the protagonist is saved from a subway creep by the new love interest.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yes, clearly everyone should watch a long, detailed, niche space opera. Anyone who doesn't want to deal with that is just uncultured and not worthy of anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Unironically yeah.

And it's getting a dub, so while the dub will be inferior now no one will have an excuse.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

I was incredibly surprised that it did well enough to get a dub while Tatami Galaxy did not, but I sure as hell am not gonna complain about having an easier way to get my pals to watch it.

I'm pretty sure that it hasn't, and Funimation is doing it anyway. Not questioning it is the right plan.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Yeah, a few shows get them and Funimation tried it out with some incest show awhile back? Discotek does a lot of sub-only releases but they're wizards that make money with the weirdest decisions.

Lots of shows get them actually, like half of what Sentai Filmworks puts out and most of NIS America. Funimation just doesn't, and the one exception just kind of proves that rule because they haven't since.

Sub-only home video releases are more of thing now than they were back when Tatami came out, but I'm still pretty sure that if it wasn't in Funimation's hands it would have gotten a release. loving Flowers of Evil got one.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 28, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm very stupid, but yea The Wire is actually very easy to appreciate when compared to a deliberately niche and indulgent show like LOGH. I actually do think the show is super cool, but the recommend LOGH constantly thing is best when it's kind of a joke.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A cool thing about LOGH is that it starts with two movies that are pretty tight. I saw and really liked those but eventually got bogged down in the series proper.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Weird that you say it's "deliberately niche and indulgent" when every single person who has watched it barring one, who eventually got banned from SA for being a literal pedophile I believe, wholeheartedly loved it and was able to get into it. I don't think those words you're using mean what you think they mean.

Like there's a dude in GBS who just got into anime recently and just started on LotGH, and he's falling in love with it right off the bat. It's really not a stretch to say Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of the best TV shows of all time, and calling it "niche" is disingenuous. The only reason it's not been localized in the US is because the holding company for the rights wants an INSANE amount of money for it, not because nobody has tried to localize it. Unless you're saying "all anime is niche", in which case...not really?

What I'm saying is you have to be literal human trash to not like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the above anecdote is proof, you see

A pedophile didn't like the show and some random dude from GBS did, clearly proof that when I say LOGH is great but not for everyone I'm full of poo poo.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

I've decided that I'm announcing the results at an arbitrary time on new year's day

I'm excited

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's the first season of Supernatural, but an anime. Madhouse did it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Trap sprung.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Please post this in the sexy anime boys and babes thread, this thread should remain pure.

edit: I'm sorry, I see now that you did, carry on.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I, too, have a mind that turns off when it sees the same thing multiple times.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Samurai Flamenco almost made my year end best list, as it really was a cute and funny and clever show all the way through. I have no clue why it's so divisive, at least among people who made it through the tone change in episode 7. The middle arc with the Flamengers is the weakest, but how the hell does that ruin the show? Even that arc had a cool ending, and then lead to something entirely different that was awesome.

It didn't do anything particularly profound and it looked like rear end, but it was the kind of original and fun show that I wish we got more of.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

see you tomorrow posted:

Hey I was just passing by and I was wondering why this thread has so many posts

ADTRW loves bad anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

Probably not actually worth watching the whole thing.

It's fun though, so I think people should give it a shot!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unlike most anime, Samurai Flamenco actually had a really good ending.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

glomkettle posted:

The irony is causing my physical pain

:ironicat:

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 31, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

violent sodomy is also a good way to become less racist

This is how terrible anime reviewer Theron Martin tried to justify the scene that freaked people out:

quote:

While that scene is edgy and probably could have been done in a less fan servicey way, it is not entirely exploitive or gratuitous because a) body cavity searches are a fairly standard prison entry procedure; b) it was karmic justice for Angelise's earlier comments about Norma being “monsters,” and c) the humiliation serves the narrative purpose of stripping her of her lingering princess attitudes.

So yea, this is a show that explicitly corrects a woman's attitude through rape, which puts it in an even lower class than shows that put this weird poo poo in just for titillation.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's true, I would.

Edit:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Still less hosed up than Cross Ange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla