Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The first season of Korra started out cool because I'm a sucker for "fantasy world, but with technological advances" settings. It actually brought up a pretty cool and interesting question about the setting, "aren't nonbenders basically just second class citizens and intrinsically inferior humans, and isn't that kind of hosed up?" but then failed to ever address that question in any meaningful way ever, and the whole thing got resolved with "well Amon is kind of a loving lunatic so who cares about nonbenders I guess"

Every season after did the same thing, with a less interesting ~sympathetic antagonist ideology~ each time, and with a less effective villain each time. It's kind of a stupid show.

When the fight scenes are well done it looks cool though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'm fairly certain that (according to the creators) a lot of it came down to Nick mandating certain things for the show, like they can't "kill" anyone directly, no season ending cliffhangers, pulling the budget at the last minute, and then finally "gently caress you, we're not airing the show anymore, burn it all off online".

You can see from some of the episodes that there was a lot of talent working on the show. The Avatar Wan episodes were amazing, the new art style looked great, and it told a better Avatar cycle in one hour then Korra did in 52 episodes. Some of the fight scenes were amazing, but given the budget issues that probably restricted them severely on how many we saw.

I dunno man, I don't see how budget cuts and "you can't show anyone dying onscreen" prevented them from ever addressing the question about nonbenders that the show itself raised

I mean I'd love to not sound like I'm a crazy person who only cares about the philosophical questions in kids cartoons, but like the whole rest of the show was such a self-evident mess that there's almost not much to say about it. It had people working on it that could potentially put out a high quality product, and who manged to keep me interested in it just enough to want to keep watching, but ultimately what came out was kind of bad.

Like not bad in the sense that I hated it but bad in the sense that like, I can't really come up with anything good or interesting about the show at all? After season 1 there was approximately no point at which I wouldn't have described what was currently going on in the plot as "pretty stupid"

I think the whole KorraxAsami thing would have been less dumb if they at any point showed romantic attraction between them. The way they graduated from "close friends" to "lets hold hands and walk off on a vacation together because i care about you so much" was kind of strange, since it didn't really feel like there was much build up to it at all. Maybe there was and I ignored it because the character interactions in that show were all kind of bad and felt sort of pointless.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

An entire thread full of complaining about how dumb the skankyass outfits were wouldn't have been too fun to read, so I can understand the reasoning behind that rule

People did get really uptight about it to a weird degree though. There's probably a way to achieve an ongoing discussion of that kind of show that isn't always all about how sexist it is, or having sexismchat totally forbidden, but I don't know what it is

Though I must say WickedHate, if the skimpy outfits are part of the message of the show, wouldn't that be a pretty good reason to allow talking about how skimpy the outfits are? Why would people be forbidden about talking about an aspect of the show that is important to the message and theme of the show, specifically with regards to whether or not that's a good message/if the way that message is being put across is awful or not?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 27, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lets just say that if a message can't be sent without liberal use of nearly-naked-women, you might not have much of a leg to stand on when defending it

I mean it's all fine and good that they tied the fanservice into an actual theme within the show, but that doesn't stop it from being fanservice dude.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Fanservice and the way anime uses it is what it's commenting on, though.

Ok but at the end of the day it is still a show stuffed full of nude women with camera shots accentuating how sexy they are. Just because the fanservice has a message doesn't make it not fanservice, and it's still pretty clear that the fanservice is there for the, uh, enjoyment of a male audience (even if that enjoyment, itself, is being used ot send a message, that doesn't stop that these skimpy women are being put there for dudes to jerk off to dude)

Like I watched the show and found the exaggerated fanservice funny and more or less enjoyed the show (it was not the best show, to be honest), but come on man. You can't seriously be trying to tell me that it's excused from being called out on the naked chicks just because it's ~using them to send a message~

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I remember there being a message about not being afraid to show yourself to people and the skimpy outfits tied into that in a very literal way, but uh, I don't really remember a commentary on fanservice itself. Care to explain, WickedHate? It's been a while since I've seen the show so I will give you the benefit of the doubt here, and assume that there was, indeed, some kind of commentary on the use of bouncing boobs and skimpy outfits in anime

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean yeah it's not saying "being a peeping tom is awesome" but I think much past that is a bit of a stretch. No emphasis is given on that at all, those are comic relief moments and unimportant comic relief characters. Furthermore, you don't have to actually show Ryuko's underwear to convey those same scenes. It's a pretty thin excuse to just give a reason for Ryuko's underwear to be on screen. Even if they are mocking the audience (I really don't think mataro and dad and guts were supposed to be audience surrogates), they're still giving the "audience" what it wants, unnecessarily. Why is it important that Ryuko's underwear is shown in those scenes? Daily Lives of Highschool Boys did a segment mocking people who are really into upskirts, but they didn't actually have a shot poking up a girl's skirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJn6rvYfIBs

EDIT:

WickedHate posted:

Nearly every instance of "fanservice" is clearly meant to be played as comedy and not be taken seriously. It's like a sort of sexual humor and I guess theoretically people can get off to that too but that's not the point any more then it's the point of balloons when someone gets off over them.

I don't think you realize that "it's not meant to be taken seriously" mostly just works for "don't take any message out of this seriously, just enjoy what you see" i.e. panties.

I also don't think you realize that most ecchi harem shows are comedies, and those are most certainly there for wanking to man

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I hereby petition for WickedHate to watch Girls Bravo and to explain to the thread why getting off to it is no more the point for the show than getting off to balloons

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Being cartoony has nothing to do with it. If having a scene where the dad peeps on Ryuko and gets injured from it is truly important (lol, but ok for the sake of argument), why does it have to actually show Ryuko undressing? Why can't it go Ryuko taking off socks -> dad shown peeping -> dad gets injured? Why does there have to be a "and then the audience sees Ryuko naked" step in this process

Also please explain to me what makes Girls Bravo a comedy with fanservice and what makes Kill la Kill a comedy with sexual humor

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Because why would you show that if you don't have to? What reason would there be? The only one I can think of is "to arouse the audience" i.e. this show is wank material (also there are totally shows with plenty of upskirts with a similar "realistic" style. In fact, shows with a comical style like KlK I'm pretty sure are the exception. Nichibros' artstyle isn't very far removed from "generic anime" dude, and there's nothing more generic anime art than ecchi harem shows)

Ok so what if the intended purpose is to be arousing, but that's a secondary purpose? Does that suddenly make it ok to include scenes that are meant to be arousing? Are those somehow ~totally not real fanservice~?

How do you know that the fanservice in KlK wasn't primarily there to arouse, with the secondary purpose of sending a message? By what metric have you decided this?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I guess that's kind of subjective then. I don't really want to go back and dig up skeevy gifs but it absolutely felt like the intended purpose was "fanservice first, message second" to me

I still don't see why "message first, fanservice close second" is excusable either, anyway

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lol did we even watch the same show

Again, why would they unnecessarily show Ryuko naked in those dad and co peep on Ryuko scenes, if the purpose was not to arouse?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 27, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When you are talking about a naked teenaged girl it kind of defaults to "it's there to get dicks hard" unless there's a really, really good other reason

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The later in the show you go, the closer you get to the creepy incest rape cage though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Let's just say that the incest spank cage was disturbing to a point that was simply unenjoyable to watch. I don't even want to touch that potential conversation

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oncce you have introduced the Incest Element there is no going back dude

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Like I said, I don't even want to get into the arousal conversation there. I'm just talking about pure "that was really creepy and disturbing and just straight up not enjoyable to watch."

WickedHate posted:

It is, unironically, one of the best works of fiction in human history, and I'm not exaggerating at all. I can understand finding it unappealing or being repulsed by some elements of it, but shallow dismissal just sucks.

Can we go back to this instead? Now I know you haven't seen Ping Pong, but gently caress it, lets even just say Attack on Titan. I like Attack on Titan. I wouldn't call it "one of the best works of fiction in human history" but I enjoy it plenty enough so lets start there.

What makes Kill la Kill a better work of fiction than Attack on Titan? Like, lets not even get into books or movies or anything, just even within anime. I want to hear what makes Kill la Kill The Best

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ok but why do you think it is the best

The idea that someone would enjoy Kill la Kill that much is a confusing and foreign idea to me. I'm interested in hearing why you believe that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

lol ok

Can WickedHate's redtext be "practically turns it into an entirely new form of art" under Ryuko's butt

Srice posted:

While I'm not saying I speak for ninjewtsu I get the impression he'd like to hear something that delves a little deeper than that. Most of those praises are really generic outside of that comment about the animation y'know? (and there have been plenty of shows that go a long way with a limited budget and/or time as well, what sets this apart from those?)

e: to name a few random shows that I could say those exact same lines about; Ping Pong, Eva, etc.

Yeah basically. I was thinking it'd be more than two sentences, both of which can be easily summed up as "it's just good, alright?"

I mean when you express a sentiment like "It is, unironically, one of the best works of fiction in human history, and I'm not exaggerating at all." I'd hope you'd have some real substance to show for it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

"Dig Deep and Defend Your Love For This Thing We Don't Like WickedHate, Only the Longest Dissertation Will Do"

Or just let him like what he likes, who cares

I mean it's fine if WickedHate doesn't want to say more than that, I wouldn't blame them. I can't think of anything more specific about Kill la Kill that was good or noteworthy either :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I will google "sexy kill la kill butt" just for you Rodyle

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Twintails was pretty good and I hope it eventually gets another season when more dumb LN books come out and the publisher wants another super expensive commercial

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I genuinely can't look at the stuff in KLK and think it's not just a joke.

I thought Twintails was kind of creepy for the way it treated part of a girl's hair as so important

Beautiful

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This first arc ends at the last part of episode 7 (which was hilarious, and a thing worth watching just for the look on your face when episode 7 happens), but the arc after that is still good.

People dropping the show after that arc ends at episode 10 I could totally understand.

The ending is pretty good too though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

laplace posted:

I actually almost like what the middle arc does to the narrative of Samurai Flamenco re: constructing a world where Lovecraftian Cosmic horrors spill into the real world and despite the characters attempting to continue living life normally still cannot maintain reality. Then I remember that the best part about the final arc is that it's grounded entirely in reality, which like completely breaks the themes the middle arc attempted poorly to construct.

This was what was cool about episodes 7-10

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It won't, but I am still curious to find out. It's not a show I particularly want to watch, but hearing anything about it besides "irredeemable trainwreck of rape and misogyny" piques my interest. What else could there possibly be to the show?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

A good portrayal of racism stops being a point in your favour once you put babies in pet boxes. I really don't care what point the show was trying to make there but it lost me at that point.

You make it sound like the baby box wasn't unintentionally ridiculous and easily the best part of the first episode

I would watch a show with more of that and less rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The worst anime this year that I actually watched was probably Sabagebu. It wasn't garbage so much as really dull 80% of the time, with a couple funny jokes per episode. Other people here seem to really like it, but it's probably the only show I watched more than 2 episodes of before dropping (around episode 7ish maybe?)

Unfortunately I can't be bothered to sit through 20 minutes just for one or two good laughs

• Locked thread