Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dingy dimples
Aug 16, 2004
Worst Middle East Cartoon
C Kirschen

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon
B Ramirez

Worst Torture Report Cartoon
D Ramirez

Worst The Interview Cartoon
D Catalino

Worst cartoon about a tragedy
A Lester

Worst caricature
A Ramirez

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon
J Branco

Worst Label
B Ramirez

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon
C Branco

Laziest cartoon
A Gorrell

Most easily reinterpreted
G Lester

Overall worst political cartoon of the year
E Ramirez

Best edit/parody
D Ye Fowl Herald

Here's to another year I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Post 9-11 User posted:

Too late for nominees, but I'm surprised that the other Greenberg was submitted instead of this one:

He often makes good cartoons. Then again, he also makes some horrid ones.

Greenberg is typically good so long as the subject is not Israel or Palestine. His I/P cartoons are uniformly vile.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Post 9-11 User posted:

Too late for nominees, but I'm surprised that the other Greenberg was submitted instead of this one:

He often makes good cartoons. Then again, he also makes some horrid ones.

That's some pretty good bigotry all around. Let's see... who should have the scientist son? The black lady?

Nah, gotta be the tiger mom. Let's give the black mom a businessman for a son. The darkies love that community business poo poo.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Worst Middle East Cartoon D

It had to be a Kirschen, of course.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon B

Victim Blaming: The Cartoon. Not even an ounce of subtlety to it, just straight up "it's his fault he got murdered".

Worst Torture Report Cartoon D

A noun, a verb...

Worst The Interview Cartoon A

This one is just really badly put-together on top of everything else.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy G

A fine example of exact-opposite-of-reality.jpg.

Worst caricature C

What the poo poo?

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon C

Not only a bad cartoon, but an insignificant event.

Worst Label I

It's no mountain of debt, but pretty close.

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon H

All of these are so goddamned terrible that I picked almost at random.

Laziest cartoon J

So tired of that drat bumper. Quad-bumber is just too much.

Most easily reinterpreted F

Probably just my brain.

Overall worst political cartoon of the year I

I hate to pick this twice, but Jesus Christ, man. Jesus Christ.

Best edit/parody D

It was extremely hard picking between this and Day By Penis.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

G
B
D
A
D
Worst caricature
B
A
Worst Label
K
H
Laziest cartoon
A
A
I
Best edit/parody
I - Not even voting for myself!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Chamale posted:

Sure thing. Counting the votes is a lot of work, but thanks to The Crotch and Koishi Komeiji we'll be able to count votes fast and with a bit more detail.

Thanks for your hard work! Something to add a bit of flavor, if it's not extra work: lots of people are posting really good rationales for why they chose the ones they did, you could include particularly articulate explanations from the vote posts which explain why a given comic deserves to be selected above the rests. You'd just have to find someone who voted for the category's winner and gave an explanation, so maybe that would be too much work. But it's a thought, maybe for next year if it would help to plan for it from the start.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009
I've lurked the politoons threads the past few years, but this year was a real standout in terms of sheer hideousness, inciting me to actually vote.

Worst Israel/Palestine
K - Kirschen

Worst Police Brutality
Ugh this was so hard - so many uniquely terrible cartoons. I had to eenie meenie miney moe between Rall's and the turkey McCoy, but D - turkey McCoy

Worst Torture Report
D - Ramirez - this seems like a given

Worst "The Interview"
B - 7oden - ditto

Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy
B - Beeler - for its sheer dismissive glibness

Worst caricature
B - Catalino-bama

Worst "A thing happened"
I

Worst Label
D - Garrison - I wanted to vote Ramirez' "debt Debt DEBT" but I feel like he has too many awards as it is, and perversely I don't even want him to have the distinction of sweeping the Gay Abortions

Least concealed bigotry
Another tough category but I had to go with E - Tinsley, because he held onto that theme for so goddamn long

Laziest
C - mass nomination

A - Tinsley

I honestly couldn't pick a worst, so I'm skipping that category.

Best edit/parody
E

Thanks for subjecting yourself to all this garbage, Chamale!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Worst Middle East Cartoon: C

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon: A

Worst Torture Report Cartoon: A

Worst The Interview Cartoon: B

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: D

Worst caricature: A

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon: L

Worst Label: M

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon: O

Laziest cartoon: A

Most easily reinterpreted: B

Overall worst political cartoon of the year: J

Best Edit: J

Ramirez is awful.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
J

E

D

B

D

Worst caricature
E

L

Worst Label
K

J

Laziest cartoon
A

B

F

Best edit
D

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A

B

G

B

B

Worst caricature
A

J

Worst Label
G

H

Laziest cartoon
A

B

I

Best edit
F

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Thanks for your hard work! Something to add a bit of flavor, if it's not extra work: lots of people are posting really good rationales for why they chose the ones they did, you could include particularly articulate explanations from the vote posts which explain why a given comic deserves to be selected above the rests. You'd just have to find someone who voted for the category's winner and gave an explanation, so maybe that would be too much work. But it's a thought, maybe for next year if it would help to plan for it from the start.

I'm planning to write short blurbs for each winner. The reason I didn't do it last year was that I was the only person available to count votes, so now that I've got help from The Crotch and Koishi Komeiji it's much faster.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The winners have been announced! Although Karl Rove said we still need to wait for the results from Florida. For those of you who like data, here's the exact number of votes from each category:

Middle East
A: 22
B: 3
C: 60
D: 7
E: 6
F: 2
G: 7
H: 7
I: 2
J: 4
K: 12
L: 9

Police Brutality
A: 31
B: 39
C: 2
D: 13
E: 26
F: 9
G: 3
H: 3
I: 3
J: 1
K: 2
L: 8

Torture Report
A: 5
B: 1
C: 2
D: 62
E: 3
F: 4
G: 32
H: 21
I: 4
J: 4
K: 1

The Interview
A: 29
B: 75
C: 1
D: 27
E: 5

Tragedy
A: 6
B: 12
C: 18
D: 28
E: 12
F: 16
G: 12
H: 11
I: 7
J: 16

Caricature
A: 46
B: 20
C: 29
D: 2
E: 4
F: 9
G: 28

A Thing Happened
A: 9
B: 2
C: 18
D: 2
E: 8
F: 7
G: 1
H: 1
I: 12
J: 22
K: 5
L: 15
M: 0
N: 0
O: 24
P: 5
Q: 6

Label
A: 1
B: 17
D: 4
E: 17
F: 0
G: 37
H: 0
I: 11
J: 17
K: 23
L: 0
M: 3

Bigotry
A: 22
B: 4
C: 19
D: 10
E: 6
F: 0
G: 0
H: 33
I: 4
J: 5
K: 4
L: 6
M: 1
N: 5
O: 16

Laziest
A: 76
B: 0
C: 9
D: 1
E: 8
F: 4
G: 0
H: 6
I: 1
J: 9
K: 6
L: 11
M: 6
N: 1

Most Easily Reinterpreted
A: 14
B: 79
C: 10
D: 10
E: 1
F: 1
G: 1
H: 14
I: 1
J: 1
K: 3
L: 3

Overall Worst
A: 7
B: 3
C: 15
D: 18
E: 5
F: 7
G: 7
H: 5
I: 60
J: 9

Best Edit/Parody
A: 8
B: 8
D: 39
E: 13
F: 5
G: 15
H: 0
I: 21
J: 5
K: 3
L: 6
M: 0
N: 1
O: 2
P: 1
Q: 11

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

A horrendous loving cavalcade of cartoons from utterly reprehensible people who should all be burned alive on a pile of tires.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Mister Adequate posted:

A horrendous loving cavalcade of cartoons from utterly reprehensible people who should all be burned alive on a pile of tires.

That's an awful thing to say, there are more environmental alternatives.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Not that anyone actually wants or needs to see it again, but you didn't post an image for the winner of "Least concealed bigotry."

A round of applause for all your hard work sorting through this terrible bullshit!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Congratulations to Ramirez, if anyone deserved to win most of the "I am a terrible sack of poo poo" awards it was that guy. I knew he could do it.

Also I'm really glad Ye Fowl Herald won, they're the only thing that kept me going through parts of this year's thread.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
drat, so I guess Ramirez is indisputably the most hated cartoonist in the cartoon thread.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Lycus posted:

drat, so I guess Ramirez is indisputably the most hated cartoonist in the cartoon thread.
The McCoys certainly tried hitting the blatant racism pretty hard in 2014, and all credit to them for trying, but they can't match Ramirez's subtlety and breadth. His five Gay Abortion awards are hard-earned.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Karl Rove posted:

His five Gay Abortion awards are hard-earned.

Seven. For six different cartoons. He took the majority of categories.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
A day late, a dollar short.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Karl Rove posted:

The McCoys certainly tried hitting the blatant racism pretty hard in 2014, and all credit to them for trying, but they can't match Ramirez's subtlety and breadth. His five Gay Abortion awards are hard-earned.

I think people just get inured to the McCoys and Lester- it's like "oh, grandpa's spouting bullshit again." But Ramirez is more surprising when he swings for the fences, and it's more angering because we know he has self-control to avoid such things.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Plus Ramirez is the editor for IBD, which means he has a lot more pull and exposure than the flying McCoys, or almost any other cartoonist really.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really love Ye Fowle Herald but I'm still shocked that the Roger Rabbit Muir parody didn't win.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Congratulations Mike Ramirez, you are poo poo :confuoot:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Being the editor also gives him significantly less accountability. A regular cartoonist could, at least in theory, have cartoons turned down for just being angry piles of scribbles with labels. Ramirez on the other hand IS the person who would say "uhhh Mike, this is is completely indecipherable, maybe don't scribble in every single bit of blank space???"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I really love Ye Fowle Herald but I'm still shocked that the Roger Rabbit Muir parody didn't win.
I had seven edits get nominated, which split the vote I guess?

I ain't mad though, doing Ye Fowl Herald all year with any kind of consistency is no small feat :allears:

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Thanks to the judges, the nominaters, and the voters. God what a year of poo poo! ((Except for the parodies. All of you are the wing beneath my wings))

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm happy with a 2nd place to Ye Fowle Herald, it's consistently funny whereas you might look at mine once, go mildly and temporarily insane and have to wait at least a year for the next instalment.

Good to see Ramirez gets the recognition he deserves for being a creep. Maybe next year he should just be awarded the Ramirez Lifetime Achievement Award in the Field of Being The First Up Against the Wall When the Revolution Comes and be disqualified him from all other categories. He's going to keep sweeping the GAs otherwise.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I'll take pride in nominating the winning Middle East Kirschen, and taking second place in Worst Caricature with a cartoon I put together (and that is now the OP picture for Kirschen in the 2015 thread.:getin:)

Now, onto Ramirez:

Lycus posted:

Jurgan posted:

I think people just get inured to the McCoys and Lester- it's like "oh, grandpa's spouting bullshit again." But Ramirez is more surprising when he swings for the fences, and it's more angering because we know he has self-control to avoid such things.
Yep, Jurgan called it. I'll borrow a quote from back in November in cartoon thread with the same sentiment that sums it up:

TetsuoTW posted:

Ramirez is a sniper where Lester runs around with a sawn-off shotgun firing toward every snapping twig. Ramirez doesn't always unload with truly offensive poo poo, but when he does he goes for a headshot.
I couldn't say it better myself. (Hence why I'm borrowing the quote.:v:)

Kirschen still wins on Middle East and I/P issues, if only because he's turned the Bleach Bones parody into reality by openly calling for genocide.:stare:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Seven. For six different cartoons. He took the majority of categories.

Ramirez really outdid himself this year--he only got a few last year and the rest were fairly well distributed across the usual suspects. Though I guess this year Kirschen and Foden are first-time GA winners so that's new.

Also it's funny that Gorrell has not only won the laziest cartoon GA three years in a row, but every year his winning cartoon is even lazier than the one from the year before. Can he outdo himself again?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Genpei Turtle posted:

Ramirez really outdid himself this year--he only got a few last year and the rest were fairly well distributed across the usual suspects. Though I guess this year Kirschen and Foden are first-time GA winners so that's new.

Also it's funny that Gorrell has not only won the laziest cartoon GA three years in a row, but every year his winning cartoon is even lazier than the one from the year before. Can he outdo himself again?

At this point either he has to forget to sign his own name, or neglect to submit a cartoon at all but his editors don't notice and print a blank space anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At this point point it's probably best to just rename the category the "Bob Gorrell Achievement in Underachievement" award and make him ineligible for nomination.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I didn't realize until reading the winner's announcement that the Beating Swords Into Food Stamps cartoon was a biblical reference. That is simply incredible now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maou shoujo posted:

I didn't realize until reading the winner's announcement that the Beating Swords Into Food Stamps cartoon was a biblical reference. That is simply incredible now.

Isaiah 2:3-4 posted:

And many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; That He may teach us concerning His ways And that we may walk in His paths." For the law will go forth from Zion And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And He will judge between the nations, And will render decisions for many peoples; And they will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, And never again will they learn war.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
"Bah! MY God doesn't by into all that pacifism crap! What kind of pussy do you think he is?"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

maou shoujo posted:

I've never seen such a blatantly anti-biblical stance by a Conservative who wasn't also an Objectivist.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I normally would peg McCoy and Lester as the bigger racists, whereas Ramirez tends to say something lovely and move on. But the protests this year really brought out his inner rear end in a top hat. It takes a lot to beat the McCoys at being petty bigots.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Rorus Raz posted:

I normally would peg McCoy and Lester as the bigger racists, whereas Ramirez tends to say something lovely and move on. But the protests this year really brought out his inner rear end in a top hat. It takes a lot to beat the McCoys at being petty bigots.

I think that's the key to it; For all Ramirez's ineptitude at polititooning, he has juuuust enough intelligence to be more than a petty bigot. It comes out a bit less often (possibly because he is himself a PoC so day-to-day racism and poo poo will be slightly less appealing, even to him), but when it does come out god drat, better watch out because there's nothing petty about it. The McCoys portray black people as troglodytes and looters, but that's little different from their usual fare and we've frankly grown inured to all but the worst of it - Ramirez put all his effort into a very detailed, Ramirez-train-tier detailed, picture of Michael Brown specifically to blame him for his own death.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
I think I'm most impressed that Branco didn't win a single GA award. He sure tried!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

At this point point it's probably best to just rename the category the "Bob Gorrell Achievement in Underachievement" award and make him ineligible for nomination.

Likewise it might be a good idea to rename the "Worst Caricature" category as the "Mike Ramirez Achievement in Non-Euclidean Anatomy" since I don't see him losing that category any time soon.

• Locked thread