Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I'll do what others are doing and update the rest of these later. Finished, enjoy the horror! I'd also like to know what happens if a cartoon is nominated for multiple categories, like some of the Ramirez cartoons.

Worst Middle East Cartoon

Kirschen lost it after the Gaza slaughter and his mini-stroke, so most of his recent cartoons qualify, but this one is a cut above the rest.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon

This also qualifies for "worst cartoon about a tragedy" and hypothetical "worst victim blaming" category.

Worst Torture Report Cartoon

Yep, another Ramirez.

Worst Best The Interview Cartoon

All the relevant worst cartoons have been nominated, so I'll just throw this in for fun. Team America: World Police is a better political satire than The Interview or any potential cartoons about The Interview anyway.:v:

Worst cartoon about a tragedy

This also qualifies for "worst police brutality cartoon" and hypothetical "worst victim blaming" category.

Worst caricature

Rather go with a Ramirez cartoon again (although this would certainly qualify), I'm going to go with Kirschen's set of "trading cards", which I've helpfully compiled into one image. Seriously, just look at them, the caricatures are so loving vile and hate-filled, and if they were drawn by anyone else they'd be called anti-semitic as gently caress.

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon

A Thing Happened, and then Tinsley decided to be a horrible transphobic rear end in a top hat for a chunk of October. Seriously gently caress you Tinsley.

Worst Label

This wins just for the sheer number of labels and for showing that the Republicans will indeed dredge up every single 90's scandal to use against Hillary in 2015/2016. (The "cattle futures scandal" is from 1978 for Christ's sake.)

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon

:stare:Okay yeah, you don't really get any worse than this. I'm also surprised there's no "worst anti-immigrant/immigration cartoon" category, although this McCoy would probably win it.:stare:

Laziest cartoon

7oden didn't even do 5 seconds of research to realize that remoras have a mutualistic relationship with sharks. I literally learned that poo poo from the Magic School Bus, what's his excuse?

Most easily reinterpreted

That kid already thinks of Uncle Sam as his dad; he's gonna grow up to be true red-blooded American, and we're happy to have him.:911: What do mean we're supposed to hate the kid, what kind of rear end in a top hat could hate a cute little kid like that?

(You can consider this a stand-in for all the cartoons depicting illegal immigrants as cute, harmless little kids.)

Overall worst political cartoon of the year

The "Ebola Gay" dropping an Ebola bomb. It combines Ebola, a tasteless reference to the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Japan, and the back fin is loving ginormous so that the Obama logo can fit on there. What puts it up and above? Take a look at the back window, that's Obama's silhouette; loving nobody but the Political Cartoons thread would realize that, since only people super familiar with Ramirez's caricature would know that that's how Ramirez draws Obama.

Best edit/parody

You know, I started off the year lukewarm on Latuff. Then the Gaza slaughter and Ferguson/Michael Brown et al happened, and Latuff proved he can blow everyone else out of the park.:allears:

Worst Cartoonist of the Year: Kirschen for I/P, Ramirez for everything else.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Belpit posted:

Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon

I don't remember for sure if this was published in 2014 or late '13 but if it was this year it begs to be nominated:

It was from 2013, and I'm pretty sure it did indeed win the "Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon" category last year.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

Don't say this. Kirschen had a stroke and somehow became even more of an rear end in a top hat.
For those who aren't familiar with the Politoons thread, this isn't a joke; Kirschen literally had a mini-stroke at about the same time the Gaza slaughter started (July), and afterwards he went completely off the deep end with vileness.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I have finished my nominations, the rest of you guys probably should too.

Also we totally forgot about a Bergdahl category. Still, feel free to browse starting at page 700 in the main thread if you want some really loving bad cartoons/good nominations:

(You're supposed to think Bergdahl's a coward/the bad guy in the last cartoon, believe it or not.)

Unfortunately my nominations are already too full to fit any Bergdahl cartoons in. Also Michael Ramirez needs to loving die already.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 23, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Worst Middle East Cartoon: C Nothing can really match Kirschen literally calling for genocide.

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon: A gently caress you Ramirez.

Worst Torture Report Cartoon: D gently caress you Ramirez.

Worst The Interview Cartoon: B Team America: World Police did this better 10 years ago.

Worst cartoon about a tragedy: E gently caress everyone who used James Foley's beheading as political fodder.

Worst caricature: C Kirschen's caricatures would make a Nazi propagandist proud. I'll admit, I'm a little biased since I put this one together.:v:

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon: E gently caress you Tinsley.

Worst Label: K Gosse wins (again) for sheer loving :words:.

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon: D Obama impregnating Mexican women with Anchor Babies. Yep.

Laziest cartoon: A Gorrell wins like always.

Most easily reinterpreted: D Welcome to America kid, we're happy to have you!:911:

Overall worst political cartoon of the year: I Go die in a fire Ramirez.

Best edit/parody: Q Rorus Raz remains amazing.:allears:

All hail the new king of vileness, Michael Ramriez.

TetsuoTW posted:

Ramirez is a sniper where Lester runs around with a sawn-off shotgun firing toward every snapping twig. Ramirez doesn't always unload with truly offensive poo poo, but when he does he goes for a headshot.
TetsuoTW explains it perfectly. Seriously gently caress you Ramirez.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Edit: Would it also be possible to bring back the little blurbs for each winner, when the results are decided? I enjoyed you guys counting cartoonists who won more than once, as well as how close the voting was.
Yeah, I'd really like to know who gets 2nd and 3rd place in most of the categories because holy poo poo one winner is not enough for all the vileness here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I'll take pride in nominating the winning Middle East Kirschen, and taking second place in Worst Caricature with a cartoon I put together (and that is now the OP picture for Kirschen in the 2015 thread.:getin:)

Now, onto Ramirez:

Lycus posted:

drat, so I guess Ramirez is indisputably the most hated cartoonist in the cartoon thread.

Jurgan posted:

I think people just get inured to the McCoys and Lester- it's like "oh, grandpa's spouting bullshit again." But Ramirez is more surprising when he swings for the fences, and it's more angering because we know he has self-control to avoid such things.
Yep, Jurgan called it. I'll borrow a quote from back in November in cartoon thread with the same sentiment that sums it up:

TetsuoTW posted:

Ramirez is a sniper where Lester runs around with a sawn-off shotgun firing toward every snapping twig. Ramirez doesn't always unload with truly offensive poo poo, but when he does he goes for a headshot.
I couldn't say it better myself. (Hence why I'm borrowing the quote.:v:)

Kirschen still wins on Middle East and I/P issues, if only because he's turned the Bleach Bones parody into reality by openly calling for genocide.:stare:

• Locked thread