Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/from-heroes-iii-to-heroes-vii

every mechanic is "yeah we're copying 3" it could be cool, but it's probably going to be a huge piece of poo poo

also post your cool homm memories i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

these guys are cool

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

5 already copied 3 but with a shittier art style and worse campaign missions though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
As long as they can do something about that hero chaining stuff.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

at least theres a map editor right out the box this time, but after how badly they shitted up 6 and just the fact its ubisoft means i don't think this game will be good no matter how much they take from 3

Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

5 already copied 3 but with a shittier art style and worse campaign missions though.

5 had some cool things going on but yeah the art style and the campaign were pretty bad. most likely itll be like that

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

mods replace "heroes of might and magic 7" in the title with "Might and Magic: Heroes: VII" and then probate me for not respecting the series name change

thank u

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i liked the unit designs in 5

Dec 26, 2012

5 had some cool mechanical things going on and there were few pure "boring" units which is good

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The landsknecht units are super boring looking. How any designer could look at something like

and come up with

is beyond me

Dec 26, 2012

historical landsknechts were colorful too not this gray and brown poo poo

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I hope this ends up being good because I really like this series :smith:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

The landsknecht units are super boring looking. How any designer could look at something like

and come up with

is beyond me

Kids love the spiky, drab wolf armor nowadays.

Hopefully they can make the game look as pretty as HoMM 3, but it's already not looking good on that front. I would also accept super anime Clash of Heroes art style, since that at least had character.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I hope this ends up being good because I really like this series :smith:

ya a lot of the recent entries have been pretty meh imo but im still optimistic

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I hope you can attack with your heroes, physically, that was a cool thing that they added that I enjoyed from the later games.

I also hope this game isn't a piece of poo poo, but I guess the HoMM6 devs being given a second chance at bat doesn't bode well on that front. Still gonna buy it.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

i know 5 was a good game after the expansions but it still didnt have that same 'spark' that 3 does for me, even now after playing 3 so many times it's just as fun to boot up and play a game of

i did like the dual upgrade options for creatures that 5 had though, i wouldnt mind that coming to 7 but it'd probably be real hard to balance

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

4 and on just seemed like an extension of the joyless gameplay that characterized homm3 shadow of death, which is to say that the later games felt more like puzzle games than strategy games. Kind of like the new King's Bounty games, which I did not really enjoy.

But maybe with that landsknecht the boring grey and brown armor is only one upgrade path, and the other will lead to that swiss guard monstrosity!

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Tiger Millionaire posted:

these guys are cool

Dragons are freakin badass.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You know what? gently caress it. HOMM3 is getting an hd remake with multiplayer not sucking. Why would anyone buy homm7.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

You know what? gently caress it. HOMM3 is getting an hd remake with multiplayer not sucking. Why would anyone buy homm7.

It has none of the expansions and Ubisoft said the expansions are missing so we'll never get an HD remake of them.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Super excited for the HD remake then realized that it would mean HoMM3 but with uplay and no expansions. I can live with old HoMM3 with the high res mod, given the alternative.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Is this an admission by the devs that their new games are so bad they need to go back 3 versions?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

aniviron posted:

Super excited for the HD remake then realized that it would mean HoMM3 but with uplay and no expansions. I can live with old HoMM3 with the high res mod, given the alternative.
Pretty sure the HoMM3 HD thing uses Steamworks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Also they nerfed the travel spells making late game cleanup a drag.

Anyway HoMM3 was the best, even though the factions weren't 100% balanced it was fine because they all felt sufficiently differnet.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

aniviron posted:

Wait, the new Homm3 HD remake isn't going to have SoD or Armageddon's blade?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Powercrazy posted:

Nope, and we'll probably never see them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Nope, and we'll probably never see them.

that's some fuckin bullshit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked Heroes of Might and Magic V, but III was my favorite. I skipped IV and VI.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Powercrazy posted:

Epic av dude.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
yea apparently some sjw was too triggered by the swastika so they replaced it with this bland inoffensive avatar.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

aniviron posted:

Oh no, how will I deal with not having the conflux town and overpowered combo artifacts. seriously though, I will miss being able to hit space bar to activate whatever my hero is sitting on

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Intelligent map design made combo artifacts fun, you could also restrict them if you wanted too. Basically if you are talking competitive you can play on maps with custom rules that are more balanced, if you are playing single player, then bring on the OP combos. I want to be the fortress hero who specializes in sorcery, and builds the grail structure in the conflux town, and have expert earth and air magic and also have an armageddon army with some phoenixes, expert fire magic and have him be my cornucopia bitch.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I hope that they get away from the thing they did in five where its pretty much just campaigns and like 3 scenarios. I need a multipage list of silly gimmick maps.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I hope that they get away from the thing they did in five where its pretty much just campaigns and like 3 scenarios. I need a multipage list of silly gimmick maps.

A legit map editor + script editor will solve that.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

A legit map editor + script editor will solve that.

I can't imagine the sort of maps made by the sort of people willing to put in the time and effort to making ubisoft heroes maps.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I can't imagine the sort of maps made by the sort of people willing to put in the time and effort to making ubisoft heroes maps.

I spent a lot of time on the Homm3 map editor v:shobon:v

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Powercrazy posted:

yea apparently some sjw was too triggered by the swastika so they replaced it with this bland inoffensive avatar.

did you go to the game thread on yospos XD

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I liked HoMM2 alot as a kid would I like any of the newer ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
3 is the universal watermark for the series, play 3

5 is alright, they did some good things, some bad things, the voice acting is absolutely loving wretched but it's worth playing if you can pick up the full game with expansions for cheap sometime during this Steam sale. 4 and 6 I could take or leave, and you should probably leave them.

• Locked thread