Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It was one guy who got voxels to work right then sold it to the eq next / landmark team

but that guy actually knows what he is doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
So which is going to be the more disappointing DAoC 2, this or DAoC 2?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You mean camelot unchained? I haven't heard a peep since the kickstarter was funded.

So I'd say both will be equally disappointing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

You mean camelot unchained? I haven't heard a peep since the kickstarter was funded.

Well, they do seem to be updating every week:

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/category/news/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I dont really believe in indie/small studio MMO's developed with no budget. If you make one of those it basically has to be a sandbox where the players can create most of the content and metagame, like how EVE online was started by like 20 guys and then the playerbase was responsible for anything remotely fun because they could dick around and create political alliances and all that stuff.

Even then, initially they (CCP) had investors who gave them a few million dollars and a previous budget from boardgame sales and EVE itself was just a whole lot of empty space and a bunch of blocky spaceships. Barely any assetcreation or animation or rigging or texturing required compared to a normal MMO

Unless the Camelot team gets a miraculous kickstarter like Star CItizen (and currently they're only up to 2mil) I dont see their project turning out...good. MMO's, and especially modern 3D ones need a lot of development and alot of money for development.

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 22, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They got three million dollars now. One million from after-kickstarter pledges. The budget of Dark Age of Camelot was two point five. I mean, it's still unlikely that their game will be good and if you pledge before it comes out, you're either very optimistic, very generous or very naive, but it's not an automatic failure. If they keep it lo-fi and focus on the systems, they might just make something that will sustain their company.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Freakazoid_ posted:

I can honestly say that if you compare Camelot Unchained with Richard Garriots' new thing you'll wish you gave $60 to Camelot instead of $30 to each. I love Garriots' work but this time around they're like two years in and nothing works and nothing looks good, he married a woman in NYC and now he literally attends meetings and watches the game be developed with an ipad on a segway scooter that he controls remotely from New York while running some robot app and a facetime app.

This is not a joke, hopefully Camelot Unchained will be good it at least is coming along much closer to a normal rate than Shroud is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think the voxel idea for crowfall is kinda neat tbh

clearly despite the fact that SOE is crazy in some ways, the fact that they were going to use voxels shows that it might possibly work on some level

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Why does every mmo developer run out of ideas for fantasy races and just make stupid looking animal-human hybrids and call it a race

It's really lazy

May as well just use humans at that point

There's a god drat chipmunk man you can be in this loving game. That's ridiculous. Why would anyone want to be a chipmunk.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Let's see who's laughing when you get trained by some sick rescue rangers themed tag team.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Why does every mmo developer early civilization run out of ideas for fantasy races gods and just make stupid looking animal-human hybrids and call it a race god

It's really lazy

There's a god drat chipmunk crocodile man you can be in this loving game religion. That's ridiculous. Why would anyone want to be a chipmunk crocodile.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Icept posted:

Let's see who's laughing when you get trained by some sick rescue rangers themed tag team.
This is reason enough to pre order this game. Who wants to join my RP guild?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
y-you can be a chipmunk? Suddenly i'm interested again

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

MMORPGs on a big, grand, subscription-based scale are dead. They are almost always cookie-cutters trying to cash in on WoW, and while I have lots of bad things to say about WoW (mainly how I feel it contributed to the death of UO [RIP]), at least it was the first mold. Also, it was Blizzard, and we all know that there's a dearth of fanboys in basements all over the world with their dicks in their hands waiting to ejaculate all over the next Blizzard game. Blizzard is their god now.

If you're not simply running out of the absurd amount of time it takes to grind a character than can compete in basically anything fun in the game (which basically is all endgame poo poo), you're getting bored because all you do is go from zone to zone and kill ever-more-powerful monsters and other NPCs. If not that, it's raiding with a bunch of spergy, elitist assholes who want to control what you do and how you do it so that their need to have a perfect experience with no bad things happening ever ever is not abated by your gear you just spent 200 hours leveling up to get but it's not good enough still.

As a whole (and I can say this as part of the community), I feel like the MMORPG community is largely comprised of just completely irredeemable, awful people who need to ruin your experience in whatever way to enhance their own experience. If there's a way to be a dick, most MMORPG players will find it and not only beat it to death, but they'll beat all other players to death with it until those players have quit and they have run out of people to be dicks to.

The designers of such games are definitely fueled from hype. Why not when you can just make an announcement you're making some new MMO (or in this case, a redux) that is going to be different from all other MMOs you guys, and then have people cum in their pants over it? You don't have to do poo poo but sit there, watch the cash roll in, and then release an unfinished piece of poo poo that people will quit playing within 6 months. But you're the developer, so you know this and don't care as long as you got dat cash monay.

IOW, gently caress Shadowbane, gently caress MMORPGs and gently caress the developers who keep making them, thus get really, really good at dangling hope in front of somehow-still-idealistic MMORPG veterans, then yanking it away as they run off with the cash.

They'll keep getting away with it too, as long as they know gamers haven't caught on.

edit:

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Why does every mmo developer run out of ideas for fantasy races and just make stupid looking animal-human hybrids and call it a race

It's really lazy

There's a god drat chipmunk man you can be in this loving game. That's ridiculous. Why would anyone want to be a chipmunk.

Welp

I'm in

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 23, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
What happens next?

Tomorrow morning at 8AM CST, the countdown timer on crowfall.com will expire, and several things will happen:

We will drop the final pieces of the puzzle. You have most of the information already, but last few pieces will tie everything together. We will also be including a lot of pre-alpha game footage, so you can see Crowfall is more than just design documents and concept art.
Taken as a whole, the website should give you a strong sense of our game vision... more than enough for you to decide if Crowfall is the right game for you. We won’t have answers for every detail, because this game is still in development. The rest will come into focus as we work with you, our audience, to build this game.
We want your input, your ideas, and your passion. The discussion on exactly how Crowfall will be implemented will continue on our forums. You can expect us to be VERY active, through development to launch (and beyond!)
We also need your financial support. Three weeks ago, we announced our intention to crowdfund this game. Our kickstarter campaign begins tomorrow morning-- at 9am EST/6am PST. We sincerely hope that you will support Crowfall, and let us build this game for you!

I was hoping this wouldn't come this fast, or come at all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna back because I'm an idiot

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eonwe posted:

I'll... consider it.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Eh... interested but probably only gonna back if it's the Guild Wars model. If they expect subscriptions they're dumb, if they want people to back a F2P game they're dumb.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

quote:

IMPORTANT: there will be some limited tiers available for our "core following", i.e. the people who spend the most time on (and have been the most vocal on) our forums. We know you guys will be the first to see the campaign -- as an FYI, backing early could pay off!

I am grateful us poopsocks are getting the recognition we deserve.

Eonwe posted:

I'll put down the equivalent of a pre-order. Anything more than that is proof of delusion (or a high-paying job).

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Zarithas posted:

I am grateful us poopsocks are getting the recognition we deserve.

I'll put down the equivalent of a pre-order. Anything more than that is proof of delusion (or a high-paying job).

Kickstarting a mmo is outright lunacy

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Byolante posted:

Kickstarting a mmo is outright lunacy

It's a major turnoff for me, but lots of other MMOs are doing it these days, plus it does allow a corporation to be more efficient. They did also at least claim that the Kickstarter is not vital to the creation of the game and that they have outside investment already, which helps a bit.

On top of that, many forum posters already drank the koolaid before the game's even been announced yet, so some people are probably going to be putting down $1000+ immediately:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Becoming cartoon chipmunks will not bring you joy and fulfillment, you monsters

How dare you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lmao

WOW

yea I'll throw down like $50 or whatever possibly

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I looked up a picture of these cartoon chipmunks, and they aren't chipmunks. They are guinea pigs. I think this means the rescue rangers rp guild is off.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

There's a disney movie about sentient guinea pigs, but it's not the same

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
How THE gently caress do they think they're going to meet their funding goal with guinea pigs instead of chipmunks?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Icept posted:

How THE gently caress do they think they're going to meet their funding goal with guinea pigs instead of chipmunks?
Chipmunks as a stretch goal obviously.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Go check out the pantheon thread. It was surprisingly similar to this.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Byolante posted:

Go check out the pantheon thread. It was surprisingly similar to this.

they backed the wrong rodent too?

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Guinea pigs are just obese chipmunks.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking as a noted prince of Bad Monetary Decisiondom, don't Kickstart this, jesus christ. They've already confirmed it'll be B2P with no sub, if it somehow comes to exist just do that.

E: And if you're going to back it for alpha/beta access you can pretty much guarantee they'll sell those a few weeks/months after the KS ends anyway, because that's how it's done.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 24, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Take my money and save me from tab targeting care bear neckbeards brofall.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
giving your money to an MMO company before their product is out and you've tested it is madness

giving your money to an MMO that is being developed by 17 guys on a shoe string budget is double madness

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

and yet everyone's going to do it anyway

look on the bright side at least this isn't being run by a crazy opiate addict or Richard "Lord 'Ideas Guy' British" Garriot

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zzulu posted:

giving your money to an MMO company before their product is out and you've tested it is madness

giving your money to an MMO that is being developed by 17 guys on a shoe string budget is double madness

Their... concept art looks good?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Well, there it is: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Maybe make a new thread or rename this one or something?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

hey, they actually have game footage and it looks less lovely than Pantheon, that's a start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHJhULEu8Q

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

someone has already backed $10,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

cathead posted:

hey, they actually have game footage and it looks less lovely than Pantheon, that's a start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHJhULEu8Q

That footage looks a lot better than the Camelot Unchained footage I've seen so far imo.

• Locked thread