Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to play a bad game or at the least, post badly about a bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I know I'm asking a question that should have an obvious answer

but in 62 days are they announcing their kickstarter or a beta

I know I shouldn't have to ask

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm one of the few people who actually likes the possibility of losing poo poo/stealing poo poo from other people but I really wish people would stop trying to make these games in general, much less on some indie shoestring budget

UO is dead, its not coming back, and I give this a 1 in a 1000 shot of being a decent game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

What the hell does this even mean? I hate you mmo devs

You've gotta play 2 crush man

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is if you aren't crushing you aren't really playing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the biggest problem with games that have risky mechanics is that pretty much every recent game featuring them has been a gigantic pile of poo poo. Mortal, Darkfall, etc have all been on a tiny budget with inexperienced devs. The Korean MMOs with harsh risk/reward mechanics are either grindy as gently caress or rampant with cheaters or both. I don't think a MMO like this can have a huge audience, but I think it has a niche. It just hasn't been done right and there aren't really any MMOs on the horizon that seem to be doing it right. For it to be remotely successful a company with an actual budget and a track record of making MMOs would need to get on board and I haven't heard of any game like this.

basically what play2crush looks like is some devs trying to cash in on the "HEY REMEMBER HOW WE WERE INVOLVED IN THAT THING YOU LIKED MORE THAN A DECADE AGO?" train every washed up dev has been in on lately

I'd like to be wrong though

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I registered a channel on synIRC for people like me who hate MMOs and yet end up playing them

#play2crush

just remember if you aren't crushing, you aren't playing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think open PvP could maybe work if there was a company that had money and understood two things about UO (since every game like this tries to claim to be the UO successor)

1. what Wadjamaloo said about gear not really being all that important
2. Have other poo poo to do aside from PvP

whenever I talk to someone about UO all I hear are stories about how they were super awesome cool PKers or some poo poo, but UO wasn't really that

UO had PKers, but there were plenty of people who did other stuff as well

pretty much every sandbox game right now has made the open PvP full loot a thing but forgot to add in reasons to socialize and other actual things

basically what I'm saying is that devs created MMO deathmatch servers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1020002493/isles-of-eventide?ref=nav_search

here is the new game we are all going to follow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i registered a channel on synirc for this dumb lovely game and im gonna post on the forums very badly and maybe get banned

idk

#crowfall

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea if someone legit just made Planetside 2 but with like melee weapons and poo poo too that would own

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why does that have a big red X to go back

so this is basically a MMO designed for consoles and will also be on PC

thats what im taking from this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a medical mystery posted:

Well, there was that lady who roleplayed a witty thief and managed to grief people like crazy without ever breaking character.

belan

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im probably going to buy into this whenever they allow suckers like me to pay for it

its just so early at this point that i can't bring myself to read the official forums or anything really

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
at least its not asking for a bunch of furry races tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

For every terrible new mmo there is somebody willing to throw money at devs with horrible track records and no recent experience

thats me!

Biowarfare posted:

btw good news i am joining the forum moderation team for game

nice, i will look forward to the inevitable closed beta key you PM to me for us being terrible game enthusiasts together

i was a forums janitor for the starbound forums and it was actually draining lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to believe in this game but its gonna be bad

At least it brought zarithas out of his posting slumber

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They just need to make open PvP punishing as gently caress. The bulk of the players should be interested in doing other stuff. Devs and players alike all remember that time they got that sick kill on a player in UO but nobody remembers most people at the time didn't make their main focus PKing. As long as the primary audience is PvP then they'll only attract the same lovely small audience that will die in a month

A big section of the PvP crowd are ahitty whiny babies who want to kill players and steal their poo poo, but as soon as it happens to them they rage out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Err what

I mean ok I guess if you had no bears in EVE you could pvp in noob ships, sure?

Ahahaha see, you came right out and said what needs to be said: you want victims, you don't want pvp. This is why these PLAY 2 CRUSH games always fail, because the victim part sucks and you genuinely want it to suck. This paradigm has failed dozens of times now but just maybe it will work this time I dunno!!

e:

I just can't get my head around how this dumb loving concept that has failed over and over and over, is the thing people pin their hopes on for making a popular, fun pvp game :confused:

what?

dude what are you even on

im saying the people that people who want to PK people should have some genuine consequences, where did I say I wanted victims? I'm saying the people who are attacking people should have to go through the punishing stuff

calm down weirdo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also im going to buy into this as soon as they let you do so

I do this for all games and this one will be no different, bad or terrible or whatever it ends up being

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Huh, ok I'll come out and ask you: are you looking for non-consensual (lol) pvp?

heh, rape is hilarious, agreed forums poster flesh forge epic lol :D

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what im saying is that wasnt a funny joke if you didnt get my other post

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

How then do you explain that format of non-consensual pvp being universally rejected by just about everyone, everywhere it has been implemented as an optional activity?

counterpoint: shut up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

For real, either you have not thought this out or you're being disingenuous. I mean ok, it's great to have hope but uh

what? ive already said the game is almost 100% sure to be bad

i haven't even made a purchase to have to justify

stop being weird

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh hey somebody sees an obvious thing, neat! :)

not only are you not funny you are weirdly passive aggressive

where did the full loot mmo touch you, show us on this UO style character ragdoll

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MrBims posted:

Looting games satisfy the urge people have in their reptilian brain to loving smash people over the internet. I can't remember any point in the last two years that you didn't have Day-Z or a Day-Z clone in the top 3 of steam sales.

it is legitimately satisfying to play a full loot game and gain in 30 seconds, what it might have taken someone hours to gather

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

i hope your boner is as big as mine for this stellar entry into the mmo genre from a company i've never heard of before

im pretty sure I heard they have a subscription even in early access which is hilarious

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

lmao

and of course the forums are restricted to early accessers so that every singler poster is sure to have sunk cost

we need an echo chamber of positivity stat

they managed to find an even more purestrain echo chamber than star citizen, lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The 20,000 or so folks who will be admitted into early enrollment play (a number that includes the 7,000 Kickstarter backers) are expected to pay $15 a month as the team continues to develop the title. In exchange, characters and progress will not be wiped, and players will get to see the game take shape around them.

haha holy gently caress pathfinder online, you cray

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we'll see how crowfall does, and I paid for Albion Online alpha (but at least they are wiping and I get goodies on launch) so I guess I can't judge too much

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cool art style

they are saying all the right things, but every dev does before the game comes out

:goonsay:

quote:

Please, please, please get some help with the horse body model. Horses are extrememly difficult to get right in an animation and impossible without a deep knowledge of equine anatomy. You can see every leg bone and joint and major muscle group on a horse, you can't just wing it when trying to model one or you end up with a strange looking fugly horse and you don't exactly know why.

Your stifle joint is too low. This should be barely below the belly, not halfway down the leg. Hoof wall angle is too vertical. The front knee on a horse is very angular, but the flat face of that joint splits the difference between the angle of the cannon and radius. It doesn't stay parallel to the cannon as depicted in the concept art. And it isn't so lumpy. The triceps brachii muscle just above and behind the front elbow is one of the major visible muscle groups on a horse, neglecting to emphasize it makes the shoulder look weak and puny. Another major visible muscle group is the gaskin. It needs definition.

Now the above might sound super picky and you could say, hey we aren't going for realism here, but would you draw a human warrior with weak biceps? Or no pectoral muscles? No Abs? Deltoids? These major muscle groups are critical to get right even in a cartoon style, or it just ends up looking weak, or mutant and wierd. Likewise, omitting joints in the lower leg... it happens all the time in horse animations and it's obvious.

Use well conditioned and conformed horses as reference models. They look entirely different than pasture puffs. There are plenty of ugly real life horses, too.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 27, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The biggest way to combat a zerg? Have AOE abilities that do more damage as people are bunched up

If your AOE hits 1 dude? might as well have hit him with a pillow, hits 10+ dudes? its pretty damaging

idk I think thats what the Albion Online people are doing and it kind of makes sense

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Spider Covets posted:

oh u guys found crowfall. i signed up on the forums to figure out what it was since the main page doesn't tell you much and boy howdy they are a pretentious bunch in there. and im not talking about just the hopeful players.

they have a speech somewhere about how if you're on the forums then you are like the future of MMOs and want something truly unique and new lol

yea like, if they make a fun game ill play it, but the amount of :smug: from the players and devs is hilarious

its mostly "man im so glad we aren't plebs and like this dead niche in a dead-ish genre"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the thing is there is a large group of people that seemingly love open PvP and full loot

the problem is most of these people like the idea of ripping other people off

when the shoe is on the other foot they just quit

most people can't handle having their virtual items taken from them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea everyone seems to have a story about when they played UO and they were some huge badass that was hated and known around their server

and im just wondering, where were the normal people who just farmed and did poo poo like that, i dont remember all these PKers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
let me be a jr network engineer

make it happen please

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
zarithas for goon guild leader of this non existent game that ill probably pay $100 for

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zarithas posted:

That would certainly be painfully ironic.

Even if I wanted to play with goons it's definitely for the best if I don't; plus many people would justifiably object. I really regret all the stupid decisions I made when I was 16, like backstabbing goons (I felt quite bad while doing it and almost reconsidered, but the place I was defecting to demanded screenshots of the leadership forums to prove I was serious and not a double agent) just because we weren't winning the game anymore. I probably still would've left the clan due to other issues, but on good terms and definitely not remotely in the way I did. You can't imagine how much I cringe when I even think about the wall of text I posted on the DF forums, let alone read it.

If this game is decent I'd love to see a good goon presence though, in the style of EVE and the early Darkfall days.

i think everyone has forgiven and forgotten

archeage has the new goonfuckers lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

To be fair, the mortal online people have semi pulled their poo poo together.

as someone who played the first beta test of 30 people, it doesn't matter if they have now because the time to do it was like, years ago at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, I misunderstood. Someone is saying that the pedigree of the team is an encouraging sign? I don't see how printing money with what is almost literally a carebear game indicates that their ability to build a good, viable PvP game has improved since they flailed at the keyboard and produced sb.exe crashes and single-computer architectures and trusted clients and an astonishing display of shortsightedness in design of the end game. (And unconscionably bad lighting, ground texturing, and animations even by the standards of the day.)

woah

source your quotes

• Locked thread