Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

How do the "hard core PVP fans" always get this poo poo backwards. Literally every RPG that allows pvp has done both of those things. Why does this notion persist that you have to punish and discourage pvp (PK), why not make it something EVERYBODY wants to do ALL THE loving TIME. Woohoo I just got killed, HOLY poo poo that was fun I WANNA DO IT AGAIN :black101:

You're literally suggesting punish the loser AND the winner :confused:

Remove PVP from all sandboxes or kill the PKer and delete their toon, because murder is illegal in the real world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Shadowbane was funded on the proceeds of the two founders' sale of an enterprise something (database migration?) company in the early 2000s, so they didn't really need to convince investors before either. I guess they eventually convinced their publisher to buy the whole thing, but by that point the writing was several layers deep on the wall.

In the interim, I think Coleman made a bunch on Wizard 101 or something like that, so they might be able to bootstrap themselves again...

only several tens of millions, wizard101 and pirate101 are massive and still hugely profitable, they're basically this generation's neopets at this point

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

i can't bring myself to read the official forums or anything really

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

at least its not asking for a bunch of furry races tho

edit: thanks revolt

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 25, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Zarithas posted:

Geographic separation of servers. It's hard to fight back against a massive surge of Chinese players who invade your server and outnumber the biggest alliance 5:1 (which happened on at least a few Shadowbane servers). This is exacerbated by tab targeting too, because if combat requires some form of twitch reflex, players will be much more likely to play on the server closest to them to reduce latency rather than "invading" a foreign realm.

I don't see what's point of this. They have more friends. So you get your friends to play and dedicate time to fighting back too. I don't see why this is a problem, some guilds/corps/etc simply are larger and have more power. If you're like 5 people what do you expect to do?

If you go invade EU or AUS or something because of timezone difference, you would be in power and they would not have anyone online to defend. So I don't see what the problem is here?

Impotence fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 25, 2015

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

This is exactly what happened in Shadowbane (though the numbers and ratio may not be completely accurate), and it killed (or at least drove out tons of oldschool players on) at least one server.

To me this isn't a game mechanic failure or anything like that, it's simply that the "oldschool players" didn't have enough new players and real life friends to recruit into downloading the game, and/or did not try hard enough to grind resources out.

quote:

Duping and exploits were everywhere

This is the major game failure part.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rad Russian posted:

How do you combat a guild alliance with 50x the numbers of everyone else that would just win every reset? 80% of server population alliances ruined quite a few servers in SB. I mean DAoC style forcing three specific sides would do the trick, however that limits freedom for guilds and nation building significantly.

Bring your own alliance in, pre plan before the next reset, get more new players and zerg the poo poo out of it where applicable

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

By pick up a hammer he means give him your money fyi

The game already has solid financial backing, physical offices already exist, day to day work is already happening

It's nothing like pathfinder online

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
This game is real and not a scam and will be great, please don't talk bad about it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
at least it's not another bad IPY fork/pathfinder online/shards online/vapourware/eq next/archeage/black desert online/albion online

the bar is so low you can accidentally trip over it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Eonwe volunteers to make the thread and lead the goon guild

edit: how many avatars have you gone through in the last week wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
backed for 10k