Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
You've found a large, yummy roast leg of yak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
It's an awesome game but it's waaay too long for a Zelda-like. There's several parts of the game that seem like they were just put there to add a few arbitrary hours to the playtime - the section where you're stranded on a raft in the ocean for like an hour is the absolute worst at this.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The 'stuck on a raft' bit was okay for what it was. The length there was pretty obviously deliberate and not just filler. Love or hate, though.

That stupid-rear end vine dungeon that came after Mu, however, was straight padding.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i would like to have my fortune told

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
good thread op

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

waited in that line that never moves in one of the towns for way longer than I should have. i dun got get

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

illusion of good game! avoid this pile of poo poo like the plague!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

mysterious loyall X posted:

illusion of good post! avoid this pile of poo poo like the plague!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

kazr posted:

waited in that line that never moves in one of the towns for way longer than I should have. i dun got get

it does move, you get a thing at the end. i forget which thing. a max health up maybe.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I triggered so many people by mentioning the Moon Tribe on this forum.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
That loving mushroom vine maze.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

koolkal posted:

i played it thought it was good

played terranigma for a bit too, thought it was lonely

yea it kinda is. i liked soul blazer, illusion and terran and played them pretty close to each other, i'd say illusion may stil b e the favorite even though terranigma does have some better mechanics, it's just lonely.

i also liked tales of phantasia snes translation, that was pretty fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd like to play this with a not-poo poo translation

That said I remember being crazy spooked as a kid by the guy that straight up commits suicide in front of you by poison drinking game

wait what am i talking about that's STILL freaky as hell :gonk:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Popular Human posted:

It's an awesome game but it's waaay too long for a Zelda-like. There's several parts of the game that seem like they were just put there to add a few arbitrary hours to the playtime - the section where you're stranded on a raft in the ocean for like an hour is the absolute worst at this.

Mazed posted:

The 'stuck on a raft' bit was okay for what it was. The length there was pretty obviously deliberate and not just filler. Love or hate, though.

That stupid-rear end vine dungeon that came after Mu, however, was straight padding.

sharrrk posted:

i would like to have my fortune told

THE PENETRATOR posted:

good thread op

kazr posted:

Inflammatory posted:

it does move, you get a thing at the end. i forget which thing. a max health up maybe.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I triggered so many people by mentioning the Moon Tribe on this forum.

Bluemillion posted:

That loving mushroom vine maze.

Xaris posted:

yea it kinda is. i liked soul blazer, illusion and terran and played them pretty close to each other, i'd say illusion may stil b e the favorite even though terranigma does have some better mechanics, it's just lonely.

Ciaphas posted:

I'd like to play this with a not-poo poo translation

That said I remember being crazy spooked as a kid by the guy that straight up commits suicide in front of you by poison drinking game

wait what am i talking about that's STILL freaky as hell :gonk:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I want to play this now and become a disciple of the Illusion of Gaia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

illusion of good game! avoid this pile of poo poo like the plague!

Bolverkur posted:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bolverkur posted:

Gaia is a lie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

Gaia is a lie.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
After Terranigma, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, didn't the same team of developers make Granstream Saga on the PS1? I heard that was a game that they made.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Colonel posted:

After Terranigma, Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, didn't the same team of developers make Granstream Saga on the PS1? I heard that was a game that they made.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I could never get past the vampires, but I've won Terranigma several times.

It wasn't until I played EarthBound a full 13 years later that I played a more interesting RPG.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Xaris posted:

ya i remember playing that years ago and i got way up near the end and got the snes controller item but i couldnt use it with a keyboard :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

I could never get past the vampires, but I've won Terranigma several times.

It wasn't until I played EarthBound a full 13 years later that I played a more interesting RPG.

koolkal posted:

ya i remember playing that years ago and i got way up near the end and got the snes controller item but i couldnt use it with a keyboard :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Terranigger

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
My favorite SNES RPG is Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinister Sinistrals

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

You've found a large, yummy roast leg of yak!

My favorite part about that was it took ~10 seconds for that text to display, like it was the most important item in the game.

Also, can I get some text from whale-kid?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

man gently caress the sky palace. gently caress that dungeon strait into hell

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Korthal posted:

My favorite part about that was it took ~10 seconds for that text to display, like it was the most important item in the game.

Also, can I get some text from whale-kid?
I think it was a healing item that you can't buy and count as an additional healing items beyond what you can buy, if you really suck at the game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Illusion of Gaia is a great game, though it's my least favorite of the series because it's more linear than the other two. Part of this was how you needed to find all the gems, most of which could be missed, in order to unlock the hidden dungeon with the first boss of Soul Blazer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

did the plot of this whole thing make any sense at all to anyone

all I remember is

- babel tower
- comet
- ????
- modern day school

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also i guess there was a giant fish man thing and an angel village and angkor wat??????

this reads like a fever dream

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

also i guess there was a giant fish man thing and an angel village and angkor wat??????

This game and Terranigma had weird roadblock bosses.

gently caress you queen boss

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They flew up into the comet and killed Dark Gaia. The modern day school was the kids after being reincarnated.

Then Dark Gaia came back, had some mad scientist kill off all life on earth and then created a hero to revive earth so it could be killed again. I assume that's what happened in Terranigma, the plot was so full of holes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Dark Gaia is the final boss at the end of Terranigma. It was not completely destroyed in IOG and while it was recovering, Ark finally finishes off Dark Gaia.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
robotrek is also good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

terranigma was also like a fever dream in a lot of ways

it's good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Terranigger

wow rude. nobody gets any more screenshots now. i don't want any ugliness in this quintet thread.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

awww. :(

oh well RIP thread you were pretty fuckin' good really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's possible i am flying out for my honeymoon tomorrow and used the racist word as an excuse because i will be unavailable to post screenshots, if i am to be honest.

• Locked thread