Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yaaaay :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
congratulations!!

illusion of gaia was one of those games that owned people who downloaded it to run on zsnes because the sections where you're the dark knight dude and running on ramps doesn't work because of keyboard ghosting. the chrono trigger thing that makes you hold multiple keys didn't either

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Doctor Goat posted:

congratulations!!

illusion of gaia was one of those games that owned people who downloaded it to run on zsnes because the sections where you're the dark knight dude and running on ramps doesn't work because of keyboard ghosting. the chrono trigger thing that makes you hold multiple keys didn't either

I beat both of those games on snes9x, the superior snes emulator

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I beat both of those games on snes9x, the superior snes emulator

I like zsnes's UI a lot

You could get around the control ghosting in a few ways but it was a keyboard issue, not a emulator bug

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Doctor Goat posted:

the chrono trigger thing that makes you hold multiple keys didn't either

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fifteen years later this finally makes sense

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Emulators just emphasize how lovely the bit of Chrono Trigger where you have to chase the rat is.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

I like zsnes's UI a lot

You could get around the control ghosting in a few ways but it was a keyboard issue, not a emulator bug

Don't forget to turn on the snowflakes in the UI

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

metricchip posted:

Don't forget to turn on the snowflakes in the UI

I was always a water guy but sometimes I'd switch

Lsnes is bsnes with zsnes' GUI and it owns, I wish I could get bizhawk or retroarch to use it and get the menu using 360 controls

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
i like the part with the kid who is eaten by the sea monster and then becomes the sea monster (??? this part is unclear) but they must have cut the sea monster level or something because the only place he shows up after that is at the end as a spirit in the tower saying "wow so all that sea monster stuff really makes you think, huh? peace"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think it was Seth who actually turned into a leviathan or something because of the nanomachinesComet.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think it was Seth who actually turned into a leviathan or something because of the nanomachinesComet.

it was because of riverson, who is a strange fishman-thing, and maybe because of the comet. it's apparently clearer in the translation. here is a screenshot, even though i am already on my honeymoon, because our legs are tired and we are taking a break.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

to be clear, the fishman is not neil (in the hood, who is just a weirdo scienceman who doesn't shower). seth is an absent voice communicating by morse code by banging on the cave walls, and you never see him in his monstrous fish form, because it's that kind of video game.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Huh, always remembered this game as "Illusion of Time".

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

Huh, always remembered this game as "Illusion of Time".

Yeah, that's an EU/AU thing

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Doctor Goat posted:

I prefer Terranigma, but I regret that neither game got a good translation.

agreed. terranigma is my favourite rpg and probably game overall on the snes and illusion of time would be top 5. there's a fan translation of secret of mana out there but none for terranigma just yet which is a pity, amybe I'd finally have an idea what that loving sequence where meilin is a high priestess is about

also illusion of time is the superior title

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

this game was fuckin' weird, I remember it super freaking me out as a little kid. went back to finish it as an adult, less scary but still just as confusing/hosed up

Terranigma is better in every way though yes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It still kinda bothers me that you could only get one of the red jewels by helping a slave trader find his runaway slave.

I'm surprised this game didn't really disturb me much as a kid. It's loving bleak.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 31, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Topic locked until Bicyclops posts more screenshots in response to posts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Topic locked until Bicyclops posts more screenshots in response to posts.

wha... no! how... how do i stop?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i can feel my posts... withering... away

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like this game a lot but i get the feeling that was in spite of the english translation being an incoherent disaster. should've hired ted woolsey

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is unironically one of my favorite games ever. Probably because it came out at just the right time when I was a kid, but nonetheless it's a genuinely great game.

I love the game so much I hunted down a rare copy of the "big box" version of the game (same size box as Earthbound)

The music is awesome, too. Fun fact: the guy that composed its music never composed any other music before it or after it.

Ciaphas posted:

did the plot of this whole thing make any sense at all to anyone

all I remember is

- babel tower
- comet
- ????
- modern day school

Yeah I don't play games for the plot but this one always confused me too. I think the comet was headed towards Earth and you prevent it from happening but somehow this creates an alternate Earth and if you wait past the credit roll all your friends meet up again in modern times but weren't aware of what happened??? :confused:

Great game tho

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
You don't have to say unironically here. Imp zone is accepting of all opinions, good (this one is good) or bad (half the RTS thread)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad they put a guide to where all the red gems were in the back of the manual since I never would have found those things pre-internet without it.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
That was good of them especially since the third one required you to enter and exit a building until a fisherman randomly pulled a pot out of the ocean, which you then had to look into, and once you left the town you could never get it again.

Other than that and mt. Kress it's one of my faves.

Bifner McDoogle fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 31, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bifner McDoogle posted:

That was good of them especially since the third one required you to enter and exit a building until a fisherman randomly pulled a pot out of the ocean, which you then had to look into, and once you left the town you could never get it again.

Doing this for a solid 5 minutes and THERE HE IS FINALLY THE RNG IS KIND TO ME and nope my reflexes had me go back into the cave gently caress.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bifner McDoogle posted:

AAAAAGHHH!!

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Soul Blazer is actually my favorite of the series. I named my dog turbo because of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Same for me. You get all these magical powers and not a loving flute.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Even though I don't look like it, I am from the sky just like you.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

soul blazer was real cool and so was illusion of gaia

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ku ku ku...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

illusion of gaia, will 2015 be any better than 2014

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

The Kins posted:

Ku ku ku...

These would be a pretty good smilie

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

Ku ku ku...

Ciaphas posted:

illusion of gaia, will 2015 be any better than 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I hope so :unsmith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

here are a buncha screenshots. i'll post some more later, mebbe.

i took all of the screenshots i'm posting in this thread back in college. my brother and i had been talking about how whenever he's really sick, he plays soul blazer all the way through, and i did some searching about the quintet games. i found this thing a guy wrote, which really really upset me, and i had to play it all the way through:

http://www.whatever-dude.com/posts/110.shtml

at the time that i read it, it seemed hopelessly depressing. i am not going to reread it now. it is probably not very well written and the background looks like a geocities page. i am surprised i was still able to find it ( i searched for "illusion of gaia" "vampires" and "shotgun.") even if the writer is insufferable or something, it is still probably a very awful story.

happy new year.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Square Enix still have the properties to the Soul Blazer trilogy. If nothing else, I'd like to see these games re-released on the Virtual Console.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The conclusion to the jackal story arc is just weird. you're chased by a background assassin for a long time and he bursts into flames in the penultimate dungeon.

Great game though

• Locked thread