Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

The conclusion to the jackal story arc is just weird. you're chased by a background assassin for a long time and he bursts into flames in the penultimate dungeon.

Great game though

will uses trickery to lure him into a fire trap that he activates with the flute, which is his father sometimes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

No Such Thing posted:

Soul Blazer is actually my favorite of the series. I named my dog turbo because of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i consider actraiser to be the prequel to soul blazer (which is obviously the prequel to illusion of gaia) and all three games are weird, creepy and great, even if they are terribly translated. i think soul blazer hasn't aged as well (it's a little button mashy and linear even when compared to IoG), so you have to have played it way back when to enjoy it. i like the weird snail people who only live for a year and the dream rod, which allows you to go into people's dreams and also produces a lot of funny "He touched the sleeping man with the Dream Rod" screenshots. i have some soul blazer ones somewhere, but i still have like 50 from illusion of gaia.

i've never played terranigma because it didn't release in america on cartridge. i am saving it for a rainy day when i re-read that illusion of gaia suicide story i posted.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

i consider actraiser to be the prequel to soul blazer

wait, the one where you play as god?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah don't you play as a god in Actraiser and then a messenger from that god in Soul Blazer?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I liked Illusion of Gaia as a kid because my RL name is Will, same as the protagonist.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Y o u f o u n d a d e l i c i o u s r o a s t l e g o f y a k !!

I'm sad I could never show Lily and Kara my cool buff self as Freedan.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
As I child I thought it was novel that Will had all these powers of "darkness" but was still the hero.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Crusher posted:

Y o u f o u n d a d e l i c i o u s r o a s t l e g o f y a k !!

Serious post if you play the beta/prototype ROM of the game, the entire game displays text like that. Can't believe it almost got released like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXu5TcPqWRk

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Radish posted:

Yeah don't you play as a god in Actraiser and then a messenger from that god in Soul Blazer?

that's the way i've always seen it.

actraiser 2 sucks and doesn't count. it goes:

-actraiser god creates universe
-all the people from actraiser universe disappear into soul hell and soulblazer angel rescues them
-illusion of gaia, which has a bad guy who says that it's soulblazer world and has been using slave labor to rebuild himself
-whatever the hell happens in terranigma

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

basically the most difficult boss in illusion of gaia, harder than the ending boss, is the wimpy, easy first boss from soul blazer, so the soul blazer guy would probably slaughter will.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why is actraiser 2 bad?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Why is actraiser 2 bad?

it's just the first game with all of the cool, wacky simulation stuff removed, and the action gameplay in actraiser is honestly fairly clunky and best in small doses. it doesn't have a story that i can recall.

e: i read the wikipedia article and basically enix of america requested the game specifically because they thought the american audience was too stupid to understand to understand the simulation stuff, which is not at all surprising.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Actraiser 2 is stupid as hell but it's neat to watch someone play through once. Studio did a run at one point where he went from barely being able to fight to going "Okay, yeah, gonna need the dive here and here"

the US Actraiser 2 actually has a boss they forgot to add movement routines to

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

the US Actraiser 2 actually has a boss they forgot to add movement routines to

:lol: awesome. actraiser 2, in illusion of gaia screenshot form.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I remembered it having great graphics and OK gameplay, but I played it very long ago. I thought it was some sort of prequel to the first Actraiser or sumthin'

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

just watched some videos to remember and lol yeah you walk insanely slow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah the combat in actraiser 2 is almost entirely worse and it doesn't have the sim mode, it is a terrible successor

I think if I ever finish my current glut of games (ha ha ha) I'll try to get through the soul blazer 'trilogy' all in a row; never played soul blazer, beat illusion of gaia like fifty times, got stuck on Bloody Mary in Terranigma

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bicyclops posted:

it's just the first game with all of the cool, wacky simulation stuff removed, and the action gameplay in actraiser is honestly fairly clunky and best in small doses. it doesn't have a story that i can recall.

e: i read the wikipedia article and basically enix of america requested the game specifically because they thought the american audience was too stupid to understand to understand the simulation stuff, which is not at all surprising.
Some notes I read from someone who worked on it said that management assumed that people enjoyed Actraiser for the hardcore action sequences, so they dropped the sim half. It was a 90s thing.

Supposedly, turning off certain layers using an emulator, in Solid Arm's (Illusion of Gaia secret boss) dungeon, changes its appearance that ruins the atmosphere it is trying to display.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Dicking around with sprite layers is god's work and the reason why I've finished as many annoying SNES puzzles as I have.

Shoutouts to Nintendo/Square for not even making a background tile color for debugging for that big 3D maze on Johnny's ship. Even toggling layers won't save you now

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blackheart posted:

just watched some videos to remember and lol yeah you walk insanely slow

this is true of original actraiser too, but the stages are mercifully short, the bosses are easy enough to have the "jumps back and forth and restart their routine when hit" mechanic, and the action is broken up by the sim stuff. the sim stuff is horribly broken too, like worse than original sim city broken by far, but the charm is that it tosses you back and forth before you can think too hard about either and has this weird little badly translated story to take you through it.

(i use this screenshot a lot, it is good for mocking people)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i always thought jackal was a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Jackal but the link is tenuous

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I remember reading something when I was little that said that the jackal was lances dad or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

i always thought jackal was a reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Jackal but the link is tenuous

lol no

you gotta play the prototype leak of the game some day

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Seeing it refered to as a black panther, I now finally see that it's a scrap of paper with an animal head posted to the wall. As a kid it just looked like a rip/hole in the wallpaper/drywall. I though the Jackal's mark was just really lovely, non-descript vandalism.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
lol at the idea of him leaving his mark by like kicking a hole in the drywall

My god... that man has been here

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At least it wasn't the guy who knocks down doors.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

swamp waste posted:

lol at the idea of him leaving his mark by like kicking a hole in the drywall

My god... that man has been here

Have you heard of a man named Dogi?

Korthal
May 26, 2011

So how does the hidden village survive? They don't seem to have any farming whatsoever.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Korthal posted:

So how does the hidden village survive? They don't seem to have any farming whatsoever.

they befriended the local pigs and any time they get hungry one lunges into a fire for thenm

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The translator for Terranigma (and some other games) posts on these forums sometimes. He talked about the game here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post409296356

Rexicon1 posted:

I remember reading something when I was little that said that the jackal was lances dad or something.

I always wondered if the Jackal had some bigger subplot that got cut during development/translation. He seems to have some connection to Kara, what with him crawling towards her and saying her name while he's burning alive.

Then again his death scene reminded me of Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo because I'm a big drat nerd.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

if i decide to play terranigma, what are some things i should know about it?

like if anyone plays illusion of gaia, i say use a faq to find all the red jewels.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

like if anyone plays illusion of gaia, i say use a faq to find all the red jewels.

If you play terranigma, just remember that the game doesn't actually start until after you get those towers opened

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Also, the healing rod is super good

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe use a faq to find the magi rocks for the spells, some of the spells are gamebreakingly good

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
you don't actually need to use the spells at all but some of them are good, yes

explore the underworld map thoroughly. there are a couple of places with things to do that will affect areas later on in the game. they're not important but if you're a completionist...

damage scales exponentially based on your level. there's one boss in particular a lot of people are only doing scratch damage to by the time you get there, but if you grind a couple of levels she is cake

note there is very little actual grinding in this game, that one boss is just the exception. iirc you're meant to use magic on her

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
magirocks are recycled when you use spells, so dont feel afraid of spending them

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

is this a must because I just started playing Illusion of Gaia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
The red jewels unlock a bonus dungeon at the end of the game, and at certain tiers of collecting them they give you stuff. Like an extra healing herb or a strength up or whatever. They're not strictly necessary (I certainly never got close to finding them all as a kid), but they make the game a little easier.

Also there's several gems at the very beginning of the game that if you miss you'll never get another chance to pick up, so chances are you've already missed out on getting them all :shrug:

• Locked thread