Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Hey nerds. Long post incoming, haven't had net for a few days (I'm staying with family and cannot tanks, or botes, or play Naval Action which I got a key for literally minutes before I left :argh:)

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Most players have no idea how to attack either. When they see three tanks spread out on a ridge, they think "To attack this position I need to get shot by all three tanks", with predictable results.

I have no idea how you wouldn't be able to pick up on sidescraping. I guess maybe they see it work for an E-100, so they try to do the same in a Pershing.

In short, pubbies are ludicrously incapable

Actually, I've had to start being really careful about sidescraping, because more often than not the publord I am shooting at sees me do it, then begins to mimic what he sees (with varying degrees of success). Let me tell you that it is not fun when you accidentally teach some braindead E 100 how to sidescrape (and even worse when he realises why you aim your turret off-target between shots, and begins doing same).

As for what it is, yeah, I used to think it meant literally scraping up alongside someone so they couldn't turn and laying shots into their sides. A quick google taught me otherwise. I don't do it nearly as often or as proficiently as I should because it's generally a Poor Life Choice in a medium tank and those make up the vast majority of what I play, but it does come in handy sometimes, especially early game on Siegfried.

mmkay posted:

It still requires some practice to get it right though; many retarded pubbies, when sidescraping in Tiger 2s or whatever, just let me shoot them repeatedly in the ammo rack. Though I guess it's a step up from driving blindly forward, expecting everything to bounce from your KRUPP STAHL.

Well to be fair, getting ammo racked in German tanks is pretty easy, since the primary rack in most of them is along the hull panniers under the turret ring. A little too much angle and you'll be eating shells with your rack in no time. Even after all this time I regularly gently caress up the angle, which is another part of the reason I usually don't bother sidescraping unless I know I can't get away with battleshipping or poking around at an angle.

Prav posted:

I've heard just everything that doesn't get 3x overmatched described as "good at sidescraping". And a few that do.

Anything with:

- thick side armour that won't be 3x overmatched
- awkwardly-angled pubbie bait shoulder plates (high-tier USSR heavies, Obj 430)
- skirts
- really broad tracks (basically any US heavy, high-tier US meds)

Rear turrets generally help too.

Actually, speaking of the 430's shoulder plates, they are some kind of wizardry bullshit. They're only 40mm thick from memory, but set at such a ridiculous angle from basically any aspect that they provide better protection than your 120mm front plates. The number of times I have poked an edge around a corner only to bait some dumbshit T57 into firing all 4 shots into them is really quite astounding. Of course, they work better at long range and while moving, but even up close I've seen them bounce some pretty ridiculous stuff.

Axetrain posted:

How's the M103? When I fight them I rarely have a problem penning the top of their turret or the cheeks if they point anywhere other than ramrod straight at me. The gun looks good but everything else seems sort of underwhelming.

This has probably been answered by now, but it's pretty decent. It doesn't really have armour, but the gun is excellent. It's the same one the T110E5 gets, and handles nicely on the chassis. The 103 also has passable mobility.

The tank's hull is okay; the lower plate is weakish, but the upper plate is very solid and most things short of a T10 TD will not pen it without a good downwards-angled shot at you. The real problem is the turret, which is equal parts huge and squishy. It was a little less easy to perforate before the HD remodel, but still not solid. Now, it's pretty easy meat, so the 103 has been forced more into the support role I suspect it was always intended to occupy rather than being a first-line brawling tank. The cupola is quite large and has no armour, the turret roof leading up to it is stepped which means missing the cupola doesn't necessarily mean a bounce, the turret cheeks are very weak and can be penned from the front, and the sides are pretty thin. Really the only place the 103 will bounce things off its turret is the gun mantlet or if the shot grazes along the sides, which is hardly impressive.

Hang back a little but don't mistake that for "sit still" (don't do this), let the more solid tanks go in first and shoot over them. If you're a top tier heavy you'll need to avoid engaging multiple tanks at once and will need to try and find squishier targets or tanks with lovely guns to go bully while your team distracts the actual threatening things. The 103 can sidescrape to at least some extent because of its mid-mounted turret and American tracks, but you have to really get the angle right because it has pitiful side armour, like the E5.

Also that fat turret is a giant pinata for arty, if there is a 53/55 in the match he will be aiming for your turret sides almost exclusively. Be mindful not just of where your front armour is facing relative to enemy tanks but where your side armour is facing relative to the enemy arty. 53/55s will oneshot you if they hit that loving turret.

Re: funky equipment weights on British LL tanks: I think the devs have stated in the past that module weights are arbitrary in order to achieve some vague goal I can't recall.

xthetenth posted:

It's a way to pay to have similar situational awareness to a decent player.

This is absolutely brilliant, easily the best and most accurate description of it I've seen to date. I'm stealing this.

xthetenth posted:

I wish nothing more than that man's children have happy and loving marriages with roma.

Strikes me as unlikely he will ever find anyone stupid/desperate enough to tolerate his incessant bullshit and toxic personality. Even other shitlers would surely find him too :spergin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Zettace posted:

Is there a reason why T32s and T29s seem so vulnerable to arty? Even when playing the tier 5 French 105Lefh arty shooting at a T29 will almost always deal ~300 damage while shooting something like a M6 or even a KV-1 will only deal on average 100 damage?

Huge, unarmoured engine deck on a sluggish tank.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

He's probably also sunk at least two IRL cars' worth of money into pixel spaceships for a game that isn't even close to being done yet, so there's that.

SC fanboys are the loving worst. I almost want the game to flop (despite having about a hundred in it myself) just to watch the worst kind of people on the internet partake in mass sudoku.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

subhelios posted:

Edit: Also, Ross, come play Robocraft with me

Can't. On slow laptop + lovely satellite internet. I'll be home Monday after next.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

He must not run into unicums very much, they poo poo talk each other much less their underlings.

He even signed it, too. Jesus Christ. What a shitlord.

Hellsau posted:

That dude had PLENTY of places covered: His teammate's corpses on the south peninsula, his teammate's corpses in the center of the map, his teammate's corpses in the northeast, and the eastern AND southern redlines! Plus he can teamkill his artillery at any moment.

Please never snipe from there, guys. Go up north to support them, go center to support there, go to wherever you can shoot westward down the F line, or hell just sit in the buildings in case you see an opening. You can always turn back and get into your lovely camping spot later in the match. You don't need to be there, doing nothing for eight minutes while your team begs you to be useful.

Correct! As a general rule, if you are not arty, you should be at least 4 grid squares away from said arty and no more than 3 grid squares from the rest of your team, unless you genuinely know what you are doing (if you need to stop and ponder this, you don't know what you're doing).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

New T-54 sounds interesting. 120mm armour at T8 on a med is pretty serious, though the 44km/h speed might make it an easy mark.

primelaw posted:

Better than $100 on Star Citizen :laugh:

That's not exactly setting the bar very high though.

Burt posted:

Playing the new British medium line is sapping my will to live. I will unlock the Firefly and say gently caress it.

You still play? RIP.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Reirrac posted:

Do I get trolling points for this? :thumbsup:
One time a teammate began ragging on a Lorraine for being a "typical French coward" and hiding in the back doing nothing. He was actually right about the Lorraine driver being worthless chickenshit deadweight, but reminding him that France is historically one of the most militarily successful nations on the planet and is the main reason America isn't still some backwater British colony drove him into a :911: fury that had to be seen to be believed.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

DonkeyHotay posted:

Quick challenger review after 10 games. It's not great but not nearly as bad as the paper stats make it look. It plays a lot like a retarded e25 with gigantism but you are still shooting really fast. Doubling them up is also pretty funny, I ran into an otter guy playing one on my second game out and suddenly we were melting tier 9s from cover before they knew what the gently caress. I think I ended up with four ace tankers and the other guy five in those nine games.

Back when the Panther was first moved to T7 I had a triple platoon of them going and we met a pubbie with a Panther and a clue. The four of us melted an oblivious IS-4's rear end before he realised what was going on. :getin:

See also: the time my E8 platoon met a cooperative pubbie E8 on Steppes and proceeded to whizz around the map line abreast, then descend upon a target and circle the gently caress out of it like hungry sharks.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Optics are compulsory, and consider swapping the vents with something more useful. I think I have a GLD in mine since its vert stab got taken away.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Maybe it kept it, I can't remember and can't check right now. I just remember it still has excellent gun handling for tier.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Depends who you ask. I've never liked it, I found repairs followed by crew-specific skills more useful (but I mostly drive mediums, so YMMV).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Valle posted:

Speaking of, I had this match yesterday on NA:

I think that's the closest I've ever seen to equal teams, with regards to the actual tanks.

I've seen a match of nothing but T8 heavies and mediums. Both teams.

Also, the new scaling for WN8 is why I use my own config and don't change the colors. Green for me starts at something like 1200 or 1250 WN8 and 52% WR.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Maybe if everyone else was as prolific at designing and building viable prototypes as the Soviets, they'd have 20 different premiums as well :smug:

Seriously though, WG have easy access to the Soviet archives and nearly everything on the tree was built in steel, more so than any other national tree including the next most historical (US, from memory).

Also I went to FTR (uuughhh) to check out the IS-5, and hahaha holy poo poo, since Rita is apparently on holiday and FTR's followers can't survive five minutes without creeping on a girl playing WoT, a "Rita-approved" stream was linked.

e: Nice new tonks! Kinda lovely about the ISU-130 being mod-only though.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 30, 2014

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

They have the same level of access to the extensive archives at Bovington though. Probably even better access, what with the Bovington guys being super chill about everything, whereas Kubinka is on a military base and all the WW2 tanks are still top secret, plus Russia is currently making GBS threads the bed

WG has a no-poo poo partnership with Kubinka and are looked upon favourably by the Russian government, as great as Bovvy is, it's nowhere near as easy a resource for them to tap I suspect. Plus, the British weren't exactly good at tanks until about 1945 or so, with a few lucky exceptions.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

rockopete posted:

120mm vs 100mm front hull armor, 80 vs 85 front turret
Other way around.

LostCosmonaut posted:

This man has the right idea. Also, Iron Warriors (theoretically) can do multiplayer (one person is gunner, other drives, IIRC).
It's just a shame the game is so unoptimised and clunky. I don't mind aged graphics, I do mind when aged graphics are coupled with terrible performance. Halo is another serious offender, that game has always run like poo poo no matter what.

I really want Steel Beasts, but it's on the back burner until I have some serious disposable income. I've spent a little on tanks lately, and I have a new joystick and some DCS modules to buy as soon as I can afford to.

Dalael posted:

If WG could, they'd send people to turn gamers upside down and shake them until all the money falls out of their pocket. They're often doing specials that really aren't and love nothing more than to discontinue tanks just to create a buying frenzie.

They make me sick and will not get one more cent from ... hey.. what's this? Boats? :homebrew:
Honestly, I like WG more than I like a lot of companies. They throw money at museums and historical projects, they make Wehraboos mad as gently caress on a near-constant basis, SerB, and the games are fun if you remove pubbies from the equation (well, Planes could be fun if it was populated and they stopped loving it up).

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Someone on page three already checked the WN8 of all the Type 59 winners. Only two have four-digits, and one has a *76*.

This guy: http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Frost8797/1004794680/
WG must be trying to compensate for all the times they gave Type 59s out for incredible matches. Charity time!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Dalael posted:

Is world of plane really doing that bad? Does it even compare to War Thunder in a favorable way?

Yes, and not really. They're two very different games; WT is pretending to be a simulator (hint, even its simulator mode is arcadey garbage and those who say otherwise universally are not actual flight sim players or pilots), while WoWP is basically WoT in the sky. The mechanics are kind of ropey but it would be a much better game if it had enough population to make it playable, as well as some quality of life tweaks and a serious look at the hellfest that is tier 7-8 matchmaking (hope you like fighting jets in a piston-engined plane).

As much as I poo poo on WT it is a much more playable game, though it is pretending to be something it is not and its UI is loving garbage. If Gaijin dropped all pretence of simulation and admitted their game was just arcade planes with vaguely immersive flight they'd get a much less scathing assessment from me, but until then, any developer who claims that their game is a sim while Spitfires bleed energy and stall out in low turning fights can suck down a bowl of testicles smothered in hot dick chutney.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

God drat.

Also, Type 59 talk: I remember when it was still available in the store, some baddie I encountered was saying he regretted buying it, it was poo poo, he was about to sell it because it sucked so hard, etc.

Less than a week later it was removed from the store, and I saw him later whining about how OP it is :allears:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Hellsau posted:

was it frozentreat?

No, he didn't sell his Type 59, he just drove it into the sea instead. :allears:

Also gently caress you guys, I am eagerly looking forwards to playing the Archer when I get home. It's nigh impossible to carry with but it's a) adorable and b) amusing. I love it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Jesus, the expected damage for the E 100 is only 1,959?

I'm loving worthless at that tank and yet even I can manage more than that. How are pubbies so bad as to only do 3 shots of damage per game in a tank with so much armour and so many hitpoints?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, about the lowe being squishy:

Victory
Lakeville
Löwe
Experience received:5,309 (x5 for the first victory each day) Credits received 70,534
Battle achievements Steel Wall, Mastery Badge: "III Class"

Repairs: -5 719
Ammunition: -10 300
Total: 54 515 WN8: 2 521 (90)

:getin:

Oh boy do I have a good video about that (waiting to be uploaded when I get home tomorrow night).

Cippalippus posted:

How can you people not love Malinovka? It's the best map in the game.

I love it when I'm west spawn in a medium with decent teammates.

East gets hosed now, because NA pubs are too stupid to head for the hill and fire back down into cap from camo if the enemy rush. I used to love it before all the changes though, for either spawn.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 4, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Snakes in a can posted:

Ross you were spot on about the vk 30.02D, with goldspam the tank is fantastic. It's a t7 tank that i actually enjoy playing.

I think that must've been someone else? I don't recall saying anything about any of the 30.02s for a while.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

It is always strange to me to see someone with something like 100 battles and a whole pile of tier premiums. I mean, I've dropped money on this game, but who looks at a F2P game and decides "This seems neat, let me drop 200 dollars on it right away."

Draw up a Venn diagram of with that quote, "HE does more damage bro" and "60% WR just means you hack!". I think you might get your answer.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Looks like I won't be able to play until Friday, internet connection got held up and my PC's wireless card doesn't work so I can't even play on a lovely connection.

How Terrible (tm).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

And now, an announcement from Germany:

Does Chumbly have a blog or something because I feel that Chumbly should have a blog or something.

(It's okay Chumbly, coloured numbers make me hard too and I'm not even German!)

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

McGavin posted:

If you're Canadian you should be drinking this:

Jim Murray, the writer of the Whisky Bible, names it one of the top 6 whiskys in the world and says: "When I tell people that you can buy one of the best whiskys in the world in a plastic bottle in a liquor store for the kind of change that you don't even realize is in your back pocket they don't believe me." In BC it's under $25 for a 2-6.

If that's not enough endorsement for you it is also Jim Lahey's brand of choice in Trailer Park Boys.

I'm going to be extremely pissed if the local bottlo doesn't have this next time I go down there.

(I bet it doesn't. gently caress Australia.)

Valle posted:

So let me take my new RU-251 out for a spin!

Holy crap! Wonder what the enemy team has to say to this!

Haha! Dis gon be gud! It ended up 9-15 loss :downs:

Which mod is it that gives NA players their proper flag? :unsmigghh:

CitizenKain posted:

It has always been funny when I've seen a team full of amazing players just throw the game because they think they are too awesome. Usually it's from being hyper aggressive and having the mediums slam into a heavy/TE gunline.

A team of greens is usually reliable, a team of unicums is usually a disaster waiting to happen (exacerbated by lack of platoons or the appearance of CHAI and other shitlords). I will take the greens every time.

JackDRipper posted:

1. Your in NDP
2. Your driving that horrid tank
3. That resolution you use has not been seen since 1998
4. Somehow with a higher score your not on top of team score.

You're is the contraction of you are. Your is possessive, as in "You're tempted to slit your wrists when you play your AMX-40".

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Desuwa posted:

I have over one million free exp but I can't use it because then I'd have less than one million.

I am deeply bothered if I am forced to carry an odd number of any particular type of ammunition that isn't a multiple of 5.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Even Dan Murphy's doesn't have it, which is unusual, because it usually has nearly everything. Local bottlos don't stock more than Bundy, Jim Beam and XXXX/Tooheys/VB/West End/Swan, avoid if possible.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Valle posted:

Last night, while trying to sleep, my brain told me that it's too bad there's not going to be an Italian tree. Not because the tanks would be anything special or whatever, but because they'd go great together with a soundpack made from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skb2gKR7rOk

Or Allo Allo.

Upon battle start, this could play.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Valle posted:

What the gently caress?
What the gently caress?
AAAAARGH!

I don't think I've ever been this pissed at a good player: http://wotreplays.com/site/1511911#sacred_valley-alleviatedrisk-t28

Jump 2 minutes into the match, and watch a Panther88 do his best to make sure I can't help him, and then just watch the unicum FCM 50t.
I don't even loving know.

Oh come on Risk, I know you've played with CHAI teammates before

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Hellsau posted:

They weren't CHAI. The P88 and FCM were platooned. The P88 was a furry.

The joke is that they CHAI'd.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

60 days I think.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

If only the show had like, normal people in it instead of schoolgirls of a dubious age, I would watch the gently caress out of it. Like, it could even still be anime, just loving please stop with the creepy sexualisation of children for gently caress's sake Japan

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Desuwa posted:

Thankfully, and oddly, given the name, GuP is almost entirely devoid of fanservice. Those four screencaps are basically the entirety of the sexualization/fanservice in GuP.

Well, I should also add that I am terrified of children and utterly despise teenagers, so add in "over the age of 20" to the criteria for me watching it I guess

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

E4s do not scare me like other T10 TDs do. In fact, they are the only T10 TDs that elicit about the same level of fear from me as a KV-2 in a tier 8 match. Sure they have a big gun, but it handles poorly and the turret doesn't fully traverse (something most pubbie E4 drivers seem blissfully unaware of, until the exact moment my medium appears behind them). The turret itself is a big, unarmoured, slab-sided piece of poo poo I can reliably pen with any given T10 medium and most of my T9s. If it's not spotted, sure, it can do some damage... but a lit E4 is a dead E4. At least the E3 has god-tier armour and the E5 is flexible.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cardiac posted:

Rossmums argument is basically saying that the E4 is hosed if someone gets behind in contrast to other tier10 TDs like the E3.
Also, that armour is kinda meh for tier10 since it gets penned from the front unlike other tier 10 TDs.
So, yeah.

No, my argument is that its front doesn't bounce anything and its turret is no benefit to it if it gets circled anyway, so you may as well drive something with no turret but actual armour.

Seriously the E4 is frontally pennable by T9 and 10 mediums at any range they can see it from, and it has those wonderful T110 sides that can be penned from the front if it's even a little angled.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

I'd rather play the T30, at least it has a proper turret that bounces things.

Correct. The T30 also has gun depression.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

It doesn't need to be "autoaim autopen", because your poo poo gun handling forces you to sit still showing that big stupid turret with a comparatively small mantlet for longer than most mediums need to get off an accurate shot at any distance. Pubbies being incapable of aiming may well be one thing, but anyone who knows what they're doing will only bounce an E4 if they get unlucky RNG into the mantlet or UFP. The lower front, entire turret front that isn't covered by the mantlet, and the cupola are all autopen for T10 medium guns (remembering several T9 mediums now get said guns).

I guess maybe you could make it work pubstomping but I wouldn't trust it. If I was to pick a T10 TD to pubstomp with it would be the 263 or 268 or maybe the E3, not the E4. The risk of running into someone who can aim is too great to justify it, especially when a better version of the same concept exists (the T30).

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Descar posted:

Wrong, once again, the turrets makes the E4 so much more flexible then any other T10 TD. Not having to turn your tank around corners/hard cover is what makes it.
So you can instead battleship out around the corner and get tracked broadside rather than at an angle showing your front, or best case, sidescrape (which does absolutely nothing for you since your side armour is so thin and your turret is the big problem anyway, not your hull armour).

Descar posted:

and best armor is not getting shot in the first place. E4 shots through anything and can expect the same thing in return. no problem there, and with a 750 alpha you can trade shots with almost anything.
750 alpha every what, 10 seconds? 12 seconds? In that same amount of time a T-62 can put about the same into you, and it has a much better chance of dodging your shot than the reverse.

I'm not saying the E4 is totally useless and nobody should ever play it, I'm saying it doesn't intimidate me at all and it is the easiest T10 TD to fight. Whether I can flank it or not, I know I can pen it anywhere from a long enough range that it may not even be able to see me, let alone hit me. For that reason, I'd rather be in any other T10 TD.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

That might sound fine in theory but in practice it just isn't good enough, especially on maps where there isn't a whole lot of real good cover or safe positions for the E4.

That and you still need to aim, which takes long enough that a medium can pen your turret and disappear back into cover. Peek and poke only works against tanks with worse aimtime or agility than yourself (or both). By the time the E4 aims in a T-62 has already fired and ducked back into cover, and if you snapshot and miss you've just signed your own death warrant. A T-62 trading 320 for 750 doesn't happen outside of the T-62 having a poo poo crew or being driven by an idiot, because it can fire while it's moving for all it cares and still hit. The E4 sure as poo poo cannot, even at close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

James Garfield posted:

:what:
If you're going to complain about the E3 being less effective at tier than the T30, the 268 is an awful counterexample. It is the poster child for being worse than the tier 9.

What? The 268 loving owns, and has actual mobility, unlike the 704.