Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
He's being facetious, every tank he mentioned is so bad that it would be average at one tier lower.

CGC is 6, Lee/Valentine are 4s, Lowe is 8.

Actually the Lowe is arguable but good lord it should have preferential MM. If you took a KT and gave it shittier armor and made it significantly slower you'd get a Lowe. It's almost Maus slow.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hellsau posted:

This guy gets it. Magres is among the best players in RDDT3 so he should know.

gently caress you too :h:

Merry Christmas thread! My Christmas wish is that my Lowe gets pref MM. Knock off some pen or whatever, I don't even care, just stop making me fight loving tier 10s in a tank that isn't even good.

Hellsau, do you still do WGLNA bronze/silver? I've been getting the itch to do that poo poo again since the campaign, tier 8s are really fun and I have fond memories of getting yelled at by you. Goonsquad actually even did pretty okay when people actually showed up (which was a loving rarity, unfortunately). Just pokin around and looking for a team

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 25, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Can anyone post a short refresher on how HE damage is modeled? I forget the specifics and it's relevant to the arty vs T29/T32 discussion.

E: vvvvvvv I'm almost positive that model is outdated, because they changed how non-penetrating HE hits are modeled at some point.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 26, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh okay I was thinking the new explanation was implying the sphere could still pass through solid objects, cause I know it can't

Thank you!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Everything is coming up Little Leo :getin:

I really hope the Chieftain comes out good. I love the 215b, and would hate it if it gets a lovely replacement.

The medium is the one getting changed to a Tier 8 premium, right?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My favorite thing when solopubbing is when I have friendly pub platoons that are competent that I can follow around and work with. Three people with brains working together can win a lot of games, four can win almost all of them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dalael posted:

In the end, whoever bought a Lowe shouldn't have any real regrets. It does what its mean to do, and that is make a gently caress ton of credits. I'm willing to bet one could start the game and suicide rush the enemy base while constantly wasting ammo in the air, and still get ahead on a loss.

I like my credit grinding tanks to actually be fun, personally.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'd be interested in that if the rates weren't a colossal ripoff compared to normal gold rates. $50 gift card for 7500 gold is atrociously bad. You're better off selling your gift cards on ebay and using the money to buy gold - if I pawned a $75 Banana Republic card, I'd expect to get at least $65 for it, put $50 of that and get almost twice as much gold as their lovely tradein rates, and still have $15 to pocket.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Pretty much. Some nights the map rotation is just too loving awful to stomach.

Are there any mechanics about the map rotation that have been confirmed by wg? An addon (hi xvm please add this) that shows the reported map rotation and percentages from the past hour, three hours, or day (whatever time period seems appropriate, possibly multiple) would be magical. I just wouldn't play whenever malinovka is the dominant map in rotation.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any advice for the M103? I hate this thing so, so much. I get nonstop IS7/E100 lineups in Tier 10 games and have feel like I have almost no ability to hurt them unless they flash me their rear end.

E: I've got the second gun and still hate it. The gun isn't accurate enough to snipe and it doesn't have the armor to brawl.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 4, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
more whining

I think I figured it out after running around with an E50 battle buddy. The M103 and the E50 seem kind of similar in that they don't really stand up to proper heavies but are really good at bullying the poo poo out of mediums. I trundled around making GBS threads on a bunch of enemy mediums all game, merrily bouncing shells and shoving damage down people's throats, and avoided outright confrontations with any enemy heavies unless I had good flanking shots. It seems like a heavy that goes to the medium area, kicks them all around and takes their nice things, then uses the medium area to flank the normal heavy fight.

Magres fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 4, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

If you're not interested in CW, then it should be comforting for you to know that CW viability is not the only measure of a tank, and the T110E4 is a pretty good pub stomper. Certainly much better than the E3 when you don't get to choose a narrow lane map like Himmelsdorf all the time.

The IS-7 is also quite a god pub stomper.

Just echoing this, the IS-7 is absolutely godly in pubs. Point your tank at someone, hide your lower front plate, and cackle like a maniac when nothing can pen you with silver outside of T10 TDs. Get hull down and even T10 TDs are going to have a bastard of a time penning your turret. Even in CW shooting gold, good luck penning a hull down IS-7 that's looking at you.

Hell, half the time you don't even have to cover your LFP or get hull down because pubbies are loving morons and will spray your turret with everything they've got.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Waffles get taken in CW occasionally, though I've only ever seen it on Prokhorovka and we sat it in A1/K1 to zap people poking over the hill.

But yeah they're hell on wheels in pubs (if you're good with it, they get focused like non other when you get spotted), god I hate fighting them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Descar posted:

Wrong, once again, the turrets makes the E4 so much more flexible then any other T10 TD. Not having to turn your tank around corners/hard cover is what makes it.

and best armor is not getting shot in the first place. E4 shots through anything and can expect the same thing in return. no problem there, and with a 750 alpha you can trade shots with almost anything.

Sidescrape out from the corner. You have the armor for it. There, turret problem solved

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man how the gently caress do you light tank? I'd given up until these goddamned missions and it's just making me remember why I hate playing them. I'm terrible at it and it drives me crazy. Anyone have any really, really comprehensive guides I can try to get my footing with?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So play like I play my Batchat when I'm not playing like a shitter? I play that thing as loving sleazy as I can, always

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It looks like it could be fun if the gun soft stats are excellent and you can play it like a slow Pershing, but yeah it looks kind of lovely

E: Trip Report - play lights like you play the Batchat. Be a scummy fucker and throw your teammates under the bus whenever necessary to scoop up damage and kills without getting hurt. I think I'm going to enjoy Lights now that I realize what you gotta do to do well in them, I love playing scummy

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 16, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

thylacine posted:

Is there a tanks IRC so I can get some platoon missions done?

Check PGS, we have a channel

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's fair, if I had said without getting shot at it'd be more light/batchat specific

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Umm, unless I'm missing something here, you are comparing a t10 medium with a t8 medium.. you know that, right? a t10 medium with the 20pdr is very much no.

No, it just doesn't look like a particularly great tank at Tier 8, because the thing is so slow. 11 hp/t on a Medium is pretty bad.

E: gently caress E-25s. I'm so sick of them being everywhere, it's completely absurd that they get preferential MM.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 16, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mmkay posted:

It might have trouble damaging two tanks at once with one shell. I think a combo of Lefh/FV304 for all of the funky shots + one high tier arty (American probably) for the damage is all you need for all missions.

I'm doing close to this - Bishop instead of the FV304 because I don't have the 304 yet (also the Bishop sees more low tier light tanks), and the M40/43 for the damage ones and the splash two tanks at once one. With a gold round it has like a 12m blast radius, so I'm not expecting hitting two people at once to be terribly hard on the right maps.

It's working very well so far, killing a light tank was a piece of cake and I got it within a few rounds of the Bishop because if you're mid or top tier, the game will be half light tanks (and lots of newbies who don't know to keep moving and are easy to oneshot)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

The RU251 is also tied for best tier 8 light tank, but the grind to it can be somewhat annoying, especially the Aufkl. Panther. I will still defend the VK1602 and 2801 as excellent light tanks though.

What's it tied with? The AMX 13 90?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Atal Vataman posted:

whats your point? if the tank was completely different it would be worse than the 251?

If this tank didn't have its super awesome trick that the entire tank is balanced around, it'd be terrible :smug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I havn't played the game for like 6 months or so. Any major gameplay changes I should know about?

Individual Missions! Bunch of arbitrary goals for each kind of tank, if you complete em all you get a premium tank and a new set of harder missions for another tank. Last set looks incredibly hard if Test is any indication, and gives a Tier 9 premium medium. We've got like six months to chew through them.

Also, tier 8 Lights, if they weren't in when you last played. The American ones are crazy good and a really good way to get to the T54E1 if you don't have it it, though get through them while the getting is good because they're getting nerfed. The German one requires you to suffer through the Awful Panther but the Tier 8 is excellent. Russian one looks fun, I don't know anything about it past that.

Also, more British TDs. I know nothing about them :shrug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My bad! I had just heard 6mo around the Tanks water cooler, didn't mean to scare you.

I'm in the same boat, I'm only like halfway through the first set of missions and the LT ones are taking me forever because I'm awful at Light Tanks.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

You're the same goddamn thing you moron. You've just decided you're not part of the "playerbase". So when you throw the game it's because reasons and not because you're a pubbie shitlord oval office.

Protip: whether your goal is winning the round or getting a mission done, your best bet is to throw your teammates under the bus whenever possible.

Pubbies are all god awful people who don't deserve to be carried to victory, anyway.

E: drat YOU PUBBIE ARTILLERY JUST LET ME KILL YOU! Just had a loving pub arty drown himself rather than be killed by me in my T37 for the LT mission :mad:

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 20, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Do arty tracers still exist? I've spent like five games trying to get a counter battery shot for this stupid loving SPG mission and have yet to see literally a single tracer, despite generally spending the entire game staring at the usual places pubtillery goes.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mmkay posted:

They do, they just appear for a really short amount of time. Unless you install a mod.

Is it like a fifteenth of a second or something? In one game I spent a solid 4-5 minutes staring at a bush where arty got spotted later in the game (and of course I RNG-whiffed my shot to kill him)

Really tempts me to install a tracer mod so I can get this stupid mission, I apparently just cannot see unmodified tracers at all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dalael posted:

Oh... That has got to suck then. Especially considering after reaching 100, there are still about 10 seconds or more before the game ends.

Wouldn't that mod give an unfair advantage? Are there even rules set by wargamming when it comes to modding their game, or anything goes?

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/272/18/policy-on-prohibited-modifications

Yeah tracer mods are explicitly banned. That said, it's basically impossible to get caught :shrug:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dalael posted:

Let me guess... they have no mechanics in place to be able to find out?

:vince:

Both of these are true.

The only way you can get caught is if WGNA gets ahold of a replay where you're using mods you're not allowed to use

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Strobe posted:

I think my (least) favorite part of that Q&A was when he mentioned how making Battle Assistant part of the client side options would require another arty nerf to keep balance.

Say it with me now: bullshit.

I agree with them heartily? The only reason artillery wasn't hilariously easy before was because you were stuck in an awful, awful view mode that puts three layers of abstraction between you and actually understanding what you're looking at. Battle Assistant makes artillery wwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyy easier and stronger. I got to the M40/43 before Battle Assistant existed, installed it, and literally called up my friend cackling about how he had to get the drat thing because of how fun/easy it makes artillery.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
gently caress this "get spotting damage without getting spotted" Light Tank mission beyond all reckoning. I have yet to see a single compatible map in 20+ games of playing the T37 since getting this mission.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The british mediums are really good at it, and the Cromwell is just plain fun to play. It's easily fast enough and accurate enough to get around to people's sides and shoot them in the rear or the back end of the sides, and you shoot fast enough that you'll get a dozen rolls at fire per game, so you'll get it soon enough.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

WayAbvPar posted:

Wait for Prokhorovka/Fiery Salient. If you are a super fast light, you can get to the bushes in the 1 line midway up the edge of the map and sit quietly. Unless another light drives really close, you are invisible. Sit there until the rest of the enemy lights buzzing around in the middle get blowed up and then you can creep down the 1 line from bush to bush until you find a camping TD or heavy. Let your team destroy him. Repeat.

When I was doing the KV-220 mission I got something like 8900 spotting damage in a tier 10 game (can't remember which light I was in, but it was before the new ones came out). I get over 4k on that map almost every time unless I decide to shoot at anything (or my retard pubbies won't shoot anything). Malinovka is another good one for passive scouting. Even Steppes in some circumstances (although that is more likely to have you actively scouting and dodging rather than passively scouting).

Admittedly it is a lot harder now that there are so many lights in every game, but if you resist the urge to shoot them you can rack it up relatively easily. Of course whenever you get into a light you will see a steady diet of Himmelsdorf, Ensk, and Kharkov, so it might take awhile.

Don't forget Fjords and Windstorm.

My last ~30 T37 games have been solidly half Fjords and Windstorm

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any advice for dealing with games with lots of artillery other than "uninstall this stupid piece of poo poo game?"

Getting nailed by arty for 75% of my HP behind a three story house because arty cover is a myth in this game is less than fun.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It's a shame they won't put in cross sever roaming. I would love to go onto the US Servers and troll with "Patton was the most overated general since Custer. He wasn't fit to pour Montgomery's tea"

I've taken to spamming about how great Sherman was and how he didn't go far enough any time I see idiots in the clans that have a confederate flag for their symbol. Trolling neoconfederates is always fun

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Poil posted:

Hmmmm, on the NA server, would it work to claim that Lee was a nazi? Or would the wannabe-confederates approve of that? Maybe make up something about Lee and Rommel being gay lovers in warcrimes. But that might be too obvious.

Just say that Sherman was a better general than Lee, or that Grant was a better general than Lee.

If you go with Sherman, when someone bitches about the March, say that Rommel was more of a war criminal than Sherman.

E: Random mod a friend linked me to last night that's really nice here. It makes it so your autoaim will, within a circle around your cursor, snap to the nearest tank instead of requiring LoS to a tank to autoaim at it. You still have to have your target spotted (it's not a cheat), but it makes fighting on the move (or autoaiming to have your shot lined up when you poke) much, much easier.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 28, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just got SPG-14 done with a 4600 damage game in the M40/43 that got me my Ace badge and top XP on the team :negative:

Next game, 3200 damage and just enough XP for SPG-15 :hellyeah:

Cippalippus posted:

You guys have no clue about how the eu server works if you think that you can troll it in English. No one will even understand a word of it. The new Xvm feature that shows the client language revealed that only a fraction of the players use the English client.

That's why you need your chatwheel to have an option that says "BOW BEFORE YOUR GOON OVERLORDS" in seven different languages.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Atomizer posted:

It's been in OMC ModPack for a while. I tried it but it throws me off because I still have autoaim & lock turret on RMB, so when I click for the latter it locks a target I don't want it to.

Try autoaim on MMB, it works really well for me

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Good lord doing HT-15 is retarded in games with artillery. Yay for a T92 shooting at me FIVE times. Sure glad I don't get to play because some jerk across the country has decided that he's going to do nothing but tunnel vision me the entire loving game. He did a total of like 1500 damage and every point of it was to me.

I just want to loving play this game without arbitrarily losing a third to half of my health with no warning and little/no way to prevent it.

E: Actually that's a good thing about Winter Challenge, no arty ever.

vvvv I have never, ever seen a pubbie try to pull that off, ymmv I guess?

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 28, 2015