Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

The Southern Dandy posted:

Well you have the tanks that can lead up to great things I thinks. The IS-4 is a thing, certainly. But the E5 is a better thing. I never had a problem playing my 103 as a 9. It's no E75, but it can be great.

I think you are confused. The is-3 leads to the is-8 (which he asked about along with the 103) and that ends with the is-7. The is-4 comes from the st-1.

Personally though, I didn't like the is-8. Gun didn't feel that great just like the armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cippalippus posted:

You guys have no clue about how the eu server works if you think that you can troll it in English. No one will even understand a word of it. The new Xvm feature that shows the client language revealed that only a fraction of the players use the English client.

They all know Tupac Shakor tho. You get shitloads of messages about being 2PAC.

It's really weird. Some Polish kid who barelly knows any English knows about a rapper who died almost twenty years ago.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

rossmum posted:

I dunno, watching our last living platoon member snatch a win by the skin of his teeth as one shitler drowned accidentally and the other drove in front of his pixel T-50-2 was pretty great.

Here's the correct way to do these missions: get 5 goons in a platoon, get in TS, get drunk/high/both, and just not give a gently caress.

The 8bit mode is a little "meh" in that it's very repetitive due to how limited it is (one map, 3 tanks, that's it) but the super-platoons are a loving blast! I agree that they would completely throw off the balance of random battles but goddamn is it great to have 5 goons platooned!

Poil posted:

Hmmmm, on the NA server, would it work to claim that Lee was a nazi? Or would the wannabe-confederates approve of that? Maybe make up something about Lee and Rommel being gay lovers in warcrimes. But that might be too obvious.

I think I tried some troll regarding Lee and Hitler, but it didn't really take off and nobody seemed to realize that Lee died before Hitler was born (and thus the Nazi reference is even more of a stretch.)

Magres posted:

E: Random mod a friend linked me to last night that's really nice here. It makes it so your autoaim will, within a circle around your cursor, snap to the nearest tank instead of requiring LoS to a tank to autoaim at it. You still have to have your target spotted (it's not a cheat), but it makes fighting on the move (or autoaiming to have your shot lined up when you poke) much, much easier.

It's been in OMC ModPack for a while. I tried it but it throws me off because I still have autoaim & lock turret on RMB, so when I click for the latter it locks a target I don't want it to.

NotWearingPants posted:

IS8 or M103? I can only afford one.

I have done significantly better in the IS and IS-3 than I did in the T29 and T32. But American heavies were the first line I went down so the difference in performance can probably be attributed to my different skill level.

Also, I could have a crew with several skills for the M103 thanks to these winter missions, and I'd rather not promote my IS or IS-3 crews because I like those tanks and want to keep them.

The M103 is very good, and leads to a great tank. The IS-8 was an interesting tank, one that I didn't mind playing, but it's more of a medium. The gun is very good, and as far as the 10s go I actually prefer the IS-4 over the IS-7. I'm bad at both, so take that into consideration!

NotWearingPants posted:

The only difficult part is getting the opposing tank highlighted so you can turn it on. Or hitting it twice because you thought you missed it the first time and accidently turning it off. That's why it seems like a cheat to me. It's extremely difficult to set autoaim when popping over the hill for a quick scouting look on a map like Prokorov or Ruinberg.

Ah, there's actually another mod in OMC ModPack that would help you: it highlights your autoaimed target with a colored cylinder around it!

Cippalippus posted:

You guys have no clue about how the eu server works if you think that you can troll it in English. No one will even understand a word of it. The new Xvm feature that shows the client language revealed that only a fraction of the players use the English client.

Not disagreeing with you in principle, but there are plenty of people who might happen to be multilingual like yourself and understand English as well!

Not Americans, though, we barely speak one language.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Autoaim is garbage unless the stars align just right. Ping too high, ping too low, slow turret, strange terrain, certain tanks like the Cruiser 2 - all of these things can make autoaim worse than useless. It isn't great to miss under twenty meters on stationary targets.

Auto aim works for certain tanks with good OTM accuracy like the M46, M48, T-44, M41 and Awfulpanther when you do popout shoots i.e. auto-aim, pop-out, shoot when reticle turns green, pop back in. In many cases people don't fire directly cause they are waiting for the aim to go in and you can get free shots this way. It obviously doesn't work when someone is already preaimed at you.
My eye-to-hand coordination is pretty bad so I also use auto aim to fire while moving and for long-distance random shots at spotted tanks, but that is more what works for me.

NotWearingPants posted:

IS8 or M103? I can only afford one.

I have done significantly better in the IS and IS-3 than I did in the T29 and T32. But American heavies were the first line I went down so the difference in performance can probably be attributed to my different skill level.

Also, I could have a crew with several skills for the M103 thanks to these winter missions, and I'd rather not promote my IS or IS-3 crews because I like those tanks and want to keep them.

The IS-8 is a heavy tank with same armour as a IS-3 without the spaced armour and a tier10 gun.
The M103 is a heavy tank with trollish armour and a tier10 gun. The turret is less reliable than the one on T29/T30/T32/T34.
Both are more like fat mediums than regular heavies.

I am currently going through the IS-8 and have really started to enjoy it, but that took some time. The IS-8 is pretty awkward to play since you have no depression, no armour, a great gun but with bad handling. I basically play it like a peek-a-boomer and flanker, since it is pretty good in those situations where you just poke out, fire and get back. In order to do well in the IS-8 you have to play aggressively but in the right way and that is hard if you are not used to higher tiers. There are some IS-8 replays in my Youtube-channel that shows it pretty well. Murdering tier10 Russian mediums is rapidly becoming a hobby in my IS-8.

For IS-7 owners, how is the IS-7 different from the IS-8?

As for the M103, it is more forgiving since you have a great gun with excellent handling, gun depression and mobility. It is not a brawler, but it has enough armour to bounce badly aimed shots. Goons tend to like it more than the IS-8 and I sort of enjoyed it even if it was my first tier9 tank.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Auto aim works for certain tanks with good OTM accuracy like the M46, M48, T-44, M41 and Awfulpanther when you do popout shoots i.e. auto-aim, pop-out, shoot when reticle turns green, pop back in. In many cases people don't fire directly cause they are waiting for the aim to go in and you can get free shots this way. It obviously doesn't work when someone is already preaimed at you.
My eye-to-hand coordination is pretty bad so I also use auto aim to fire while moving and for long-distance random shots at spotted tanks, but that is more what works for me.

Don't use auto-aim to peek and poke, Murphy's law says that it'll home in on Pershing turrets and T57 hulls, and you'll get ludicrous bounces. Peek and poke is honestly pretty bad unless you know exactly how much of a reload advantage you have.

Cardiac posted:

I am currently going through the IS-8 and have really started to enjoy it, but that took some time. The IS-8 is pretty awkward to play since you have no depression, no armour, a great gun but with bad handling. I basically play it like a peek-a-boomer and flanker, since it is pretty good in those situations where you just poke out, fire and get back. In order to do well in the IS-8 you have to play aggressively but in the right way and that is hard if you are not used to higher tiers. There are some IS-8 replays in my Youtube-channel that shows it pretty well. Murdering tier10 Russian mediums is rapidly becoming a hobby in my IS-8.

Are they just bad players, because how are T-62s dying to IS-8s now?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Atomizer posted:

It's been in OMC ModPack for a while. I tried it but it throws me off because I still have autoaim & lock turret on RMB, so when I click for the latter it locks a target I don't want it to.

Try autoaim on MMB, it works really well for me

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 28, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Don't use auto-aim to peek and poke, Murphy's law says that it'll home in on Pershing turrets and T57 hulls, and you'll get ludicrous bounces. Peek and poke is honestly pretty bad unless you know exactly how much of a reload advantage you have.

I use the auto-aim/peek-and-poke in situations where I want snap shot while also minimizing the risk. Like I said, it works for certain tanks and for situations where you don't mind missing shots.
As with most other things in WoT, if you don't know when to use it, don't do it.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Are they just bad players, because how are T-62s dying to IS-8s now?

Well mostly bad ones of course (i.e. 95% of the players) and it is also probably due to most players disregarding the IS-8 as a threat. Regardless, it is kinda funny, especially since there are so many statpadders in Russian tier10 mediums.

One of my joys in this game is taking a bad tank and killing people in better tanks. The pre-buff VK4502B was great for trolling E-75 drivers and the KV-5 works wonders against IS-6 drivers.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
The problem with the m103 is that the tards expect you to stroll up the middle of the map and soak up damage. Its really a medium with a kickass gun. If you can ignore chat or enjoy trolling chat its a great fun.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Hellsau posted:

A Boss Mode on old El Halluf, with the valley flooded and people on both spawns needing to kill some giant warship in the middle would be fun.

Or everyone vs. the Ratte.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1000_Ratte

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

For IS-7 owners, how is the IS-7 different from the IS-8?

They're not even close. The IS-8 is quicker, with a better gun; the IS-7 has the armor.

Magres posted:

Try autoaim on MMB, it works really well for me

Ah, the MMB is on the scroll wheel, it's always been awkward to press. I might give it a shot though.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Unfortunately Japanese govermant does not apologize WW2. They usually say They were attacked by Nuclear bombs. They don’t care War crime which they did. Even eating US soilder.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair during WW2 US soilder were raised on free-range farms and ate natural products which made them much healthier than the modern US soilder.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Oh, dont mind me, I'm just reading the comments on that ftr post about the holocaust...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Good lord doing HT-15 is retarded in games with artillery. Yay for a T92 shooting at me FIVE times. Sure glad I don't get to play because some jerk across the country has decided that he's going to do nothing but tunnel vision me the entire loving game. He did a total of like 1500 damage and every point of it was to me.

I just want to loving play this game without arbitrarily losing a third to half of my health with no warning and little/no way to prevent it.

E: Actually that's a good thing about Winter Challenge, no arty ever.

vvvv I have never, ever seen a pubbie try to pull that off, ymmv I guess?

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 28, 2015

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The shots in Winter mode arc so much that you can actually shoot over blocks if your target is away far enough, basically everything is arty in it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm still stuck on the HT cap mission, but thank gently caress I finally managed to light a Type 62 for a single tick of fire before it exploded with my Super Pershing - after that the missions were dead easy and I got all the way to MT 14 one battle at a time before switching to lights, and got as far as LT 10, which is the busted Ghost mission

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Infected posted:

The shots in Winter mode arc so much that you can actually shoot over blocks if your target is away far enough, basically everything is arty in it.

I do that every time in the Mammoth if contact has been made on the 4 line. Your shot speed is also more like walking speed so you need your targets not to move, and pubbies usually oblige, seemingly oblivious to getting rained on. After a few salvos, you can charge in, get the rest of your damage, and get out.

Oh, that reminds me. Imagine Karl with Battle Assistant.

:getin:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

Just got SPG-14 done with a 4600 damage game in the M40/43 that got me my Ace badge and top XP on the team :negative:

Next game, 3200 damage and just enough XP for SPG-15 :hellyeah:

That's why you need your chatwheel to have an option that says "BOW BEFORE YOUR GOON OVERLORDS" in seven different languages.

I loving hate you, I've wasted over 4 hours trying to do SPG-15 so far. I often enough manage to be top 3 or even #1 in damage done, but due to retarded spotting mechanics I end up 7th or something stupid on xp earned. So far I've tried it with the T92, M43, T9 brit arty and the LeFH, my other options would be Bishop, GWE100, O261, T10 BC. In one of my T92 games I came within 32xp of making top3 xp, the best LeFH game was 110 damage short of the 2k damage requirement.

Does anyone have a gimmick for SPG-15?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

I loving hate you, I've wasted over 4 hours trying to do SPG-15 so far. I often enough manage to be top 3 or even #1 in damage done, but due to retarded spotting mechanics I end up 7th or something stupid on xp earned. So far I've tried it with the T92, M43, T9 brit arty and the LeFH, my other options would be Bishop, GWE100, O261, T10 BC. In one of my T92 games I came within 32xp of making top3 xp, the best LeFH game was 110 damage short of the 2k damage requirement.

Run food, shoot gold, play tier 8 arty (ie play the M40/43), and platoon with friends in Tier 10s. Spray gold liberally and just accept that the missions have padded your wallet heavily and now you're going to invest in getting over the hump of SPG-15. Food felt like it turned near misses into hits and misses into near misses, with food and gold and, say, sand river, you're going to be slamming fools for boatloads of damage. Definitely, definitely don't play Tier 10 arty - you want the XP bonus for shooting higher tier stuff. I got it solo because the stars aligned, but my ideal platoon setup would be a pair of Tier 10s that can hold a flank indefinitely - get them to plug up a flank somewhere and let you rail on it all night long.

Alternately, a friend of mine RAVES about the HEAT on the M44. 240 Pen, 700 damage, on a tier 6 arty. Three hits will get you your 2k, and when you're gibbing a tank on every shot and rattling out three a minute, you're going to get some gooood XP regardless of the stupid mechanics.

In other news, the Tier 3 and 4 HT-15 missions are going to be impossible. I just had a fantastic game in my IS-7 (after a bunch of lovely arty fests) where I dealt 7k damage and, at the end, intentionally let a dumb pubbie E-100 shoot me in the turret over and over until he threw a temper tantrum and started chipping at me 100 HP at a time with HE, and I still only managed to just break 10k dealt+blocked. That said, redoing this stupid mission with honors got me my Stug V, yay!

E: Also, 120% Crews are god mode. Holy crap. Been running Vents+Food in my 13 90 (which has a SoS crew) and it's incredible how much of a stronktonk a 120% crew makes this thing.

Magres fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 28, 2015

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Magres posted:

E: Also, 120% Crews are god mode. Holy crap. Been running Vents+Food in my 13 90 (which has a SoS crew) and it's incredible how much of a stronktonk a 120% crew makes this thing.

You should try my Batchat with BIA, vents, Coffee and 5 skills :smugdog:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Cippalippus posted:

You should try my Batchat with BIA, vents, Coffee and 5 skills :smugdog:

I am so, so loving jealous. I'll get there eventually!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mammoths are universally driven by loving retards, I've died in so many battles with just under 3300 damage in my Polar Bear because the stupid fucks aren't looking, or don't do what they should be doing with that lovely gun, which is shoot heal shells

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think my Blitz M4 is cursed, my T1 Heavy and Wolverine are sitting nicely with 60% and 58% WR but I have 25% in my M4, what the hell?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I just had a Batchat pull up in front of me and I remained unspotted until I fired on him, from like 50m MAX.

I was in an FV215b (183)....

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

NTRabbit posted:

Mammoths are universally driven by loving retards, I've died in so many battles with just under 3300 damage in my Polar Bear because the stupid fucks aren't looking, or don't do what they should be doing with that lovely gun, which is shoot heal shells

Foxes are the healers man!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Winning is irrelevant though, so healing shells are irrelevant. Get in, do your damage and get out.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

Mammoths are universally driven by loving retards

Since the Mammoth only needs to do half its HP in damage you can just find another mammoth, crash into the front of it, and shoot each other to death for the heavy mission.

thanks for the m103 and IS-8 thoughts!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Aramoro posted:

Winning is irrelevant though, so healing shells are irrelevant. Get in, do your damage and get out.

I take it healing doesn't count towards "damage done"?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aramoro posted:

The Polar Bear only has 2500hp and just loves to get stuck on the blocks, if they make you the primary target you don't get to get out, and it takes 4 shots to reach the damage goal. Glass cannon.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 28, 2015

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Anyone got the t55 yet? Halfway through the t28. Also gently caress the set someone on fire, shot a tiger and a lowe 10 times in the rear end and not a single fire.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hellsau posted:

Autoaim is garbage unless the stars align just right. Ping too high, ping too low, slow turret, strange terrain, certain tanks like the Cruiser 2 - all of these things can make autoaim worse than useless. It isn't great to miss under twenty meters on stationary targets.

Of course sometimes you just speed around at 400 meters and pen ten in a row and that feels nice.

I use auto aim on my church 3. Machine gunning idiots while driving at top speed owns bones.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

The Polar Bear only has 2500hp and just loves to get stuck on the blocks, if they make you the primary target you don't get to get out, and it takes 4 shots to reach the damage goal. Glass cannon.

I always pick a Mammoth to follow around and shoot over the treads of and use as ablative armor plating. Also if you use a zoom out mod you can easily figure out where they are in advance and be ready to shoot at their entrance to the fight as fast as you can and help focus people down (and ruin their mission :v:). It's really easy to get 6+ shots off in the Polar Bear if you aggressively make use of your publonium armor plating.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So now that everyone knows you get nothing for capping in 8-bit tanks, capping is a pretty fun troll. When they all start yelling at you, say "gently caress you guys, I got my damage"

but capping is useless! So is waiting around for you idiots to finish a match

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 28, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Magres posted:

I always pick a Mammoth to follow around and shoot over the treads of and use as ablative armor plating. Also if you use a zoom out mod you can easily figure out where they are in advance and be ready to shoot at their entrance to the fight as fast as you can and help focus people down (and ruin their mission :v:). It's really easy to get 6+ shots off in the Polar Bear if you aggressively make use of your publonium armor plating.

I normally do that. Just now I was sitting on the back wall letting the mammoth way in front of me punch a hole in the bricks; the instant it went down three otherwise unsighted polar bears on the other side shot at me instead, and I got a 0 damage game because my shot missed and none of theirs did.

I'm only getting 3 full damage or 3 plus a not big enough kill shot in about 40% of my battles because the publonium armour disappears in various ways, such as loving cap rushing, getting out of the way just in time for the shots to aim at me, mostly ignoring the red tanks and looking at spots in the walls where a tank once came out of, better watch it like a hawk for the next 100 games.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Is there anything preventing me from getting my damage for the mission and exiting to garage so I can jump into another 8bit game with one of the other tanks?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Tahirovic posted:

I addition to Magres' excellent advice, you can game XP a bit by waiting for stationary targets to disappear before shooting them. Then you get full XP for the hit. Or so I have been told, and my cursory checks seem to indicate this is true.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

NTRabbit posted:

You are dumb as poo poo. The mammoths healing shells heal 80 per shot. 240 healing every six seconds is loving worthless.

Hold W and hold left click on enemies. Game mode is easy as gently caress.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Turns out you can have an even more ineffective ersatz American tank than the War Crime Panther.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Getting to troll furries, cockblock missions, and win the game all at the same time is the good life.

Game on Mines, had an E100 on our team and a 183 on their team, both in FURIA, meet in the corner of the town for the 183 to bounce AP off the E100 for a while. NOT TODAY SHITTERS! Call it out, one friendly AMX 50B driveby later the 183 is dead and we bumrush their team while the E100 is crying that he needs more damage. He came in about 800 shy of HT-15 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
How is this new German light tank line, with the Leopard and the RU-251? Is it a decent choice for shooty light tanks?