Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reposting for new thread:

:siren:Here's a link to my modpack for 9.5!:siren:

Here are the fonts it uses.

It contains:
- XVM with my own brand of lines on the minimap
- White = Maximum spotting/draw distance and traverse indicators
- Red = Artillery and low tier autoloader range
- Green = View range and camera direction
- 2 seconds protection from shooting at corpses
- J1mb0's crosshair mod
- Server-side crosshair
- 500m zoom out, 16x zoom in
- Meltymap's damage and armour thickness indicator
- Scope shadow removed
- Locastan's damage panel and session stats
- 2 row tank carousel
- My Metal Gear Solid sixth sense mod
- HP bars and Team HP
- Battle assistant

It probably also has some other stuff I've forgotten about, but nothing that can get you banned. Let me know if there are any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was considering "per aspera as statsra" but it didn't sound as good.

Through hardship, the stats.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I'm grinding to both of those simultaneously. The Grant & Val are aggressively mediocre even though I'm experienced enough to make use of whatever high points they have (gun, armor.)

Calling the Valentine mediocre is an insult to mediocrity. It is BY FAR the worst tank in the game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Stock ARL V39. Checkmate.

Yeah, but the Valentine is that bad upgraded. A fully upgraded tier 4 tank with less DPM than the majority of tier 2 tanks is just shameful.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

7XIV never bothered sending a reply. Does that mean I win?

Was it because he left the conversation?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

What do you guys think? Should it be the better clans duty to guide the garbage through the trash heap?

It is the duty of all better players to start a fire in that trash heap and then pour gasoline on it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're Canadian you should be drinking this:

Jim Murray, the writer of the Whisky Bible, names it one of the top 6 whiskys in the world and says: "When I tell people that you can buy one of the best whiskys in the world in a plastic bottle in a liquor store for the kind of change that you don't even realize is in your back pocket they don't believe me." In BC it's under $25 for a 2-6.

If that's not enough endorsement for you it is also Jim Lahey's brand of choice in Trailer Park Boys.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:canada:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Refried Noodle posted:

Alrighty. Any good prohbited mods out there? I onlynow the weird lasers one but that's not very pretty.

I dunno, but here is a good place to find them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Also, if you have a team of amazing players, someone has to sacrifice themselves for spotting since you don't have the idiots to do it willingly for you in a normal team make up.

Alternatively, driving a light tank on a good team is pretty much the best thing ever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I used free experience. Thing is, I have enough premium vehicles that it freely generates that much in a few weeks if I bang on them for cash. And I mean freely as in, I don't use gold to convert to that.

I am currently sitting on nearly 400k free exp. I got a bunch from when they hosed around with the Russian T-28 line and it kinda just snowballed from there. I'm probably going to use it to get the FV4202 before it becomes a premium.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Even Dan Murphy's doesn't have it, which is unusual, because it usually has nearly everything. Local bottlos don't stock more than Bundy, Jim Beam and XXXX/Tooheys/VB/West End/Swan, avoid if possible.

Yeah, despite winning Canadian Whisky of the Year in the 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 Whisky Bibles, we're ashamed of it because of its bargain price and don't export it anywhere. :canada:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 8, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My first battle in the Pz. II D with a 50% crew.

Ace Tanker, 10k WN8. :ssh:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

McGavin, I've downloaded your mod pack and fonts and everything looks great except the minimap has black blobs instead of icons the player names and mini tank silhouettes don't show up. The icons at the top are just white versus red and green and there's no icon above any tank that spotted in the game. I've just dropped your modpack into the 9.5 mod_res folder in WOT. Any hints on how to fix?

That's weird. I just tried reinstalling it and it's working fine for me. You should be just dropping it in the C:\Games\World_of_Tanks folder and then merging the res and res_mods folders. You also have to install the fonts (open the file then click the install button or drop them in your Fonts folder in control panel).

Make sure you clean out the contents of your res_mods folder before reinstalling.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

I was putting it in C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods. What do you mean by merging the res and res_mods folders? NVM figured it out.

It looks good now. Holy crap this is awesome. Now I just have to figure out to use it best. Thanks a lot McGavin. :v:.

Not so stealthy edit No. 2: I can't believe I haven't downloaded this until now.

You're welcome! Yeah, if you aren't playing this game with mods you're shooting yourself in the foot. They give you so much more situational awareness.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

KurdtLives posted:

Lol so much gold spamming, those poor clubbed baby seals.

What else are you supposed to do when you see a T18 in a Pz II D?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jack_tripper posted:

the invitor gets the tank if the invitee accumulates a million xp while platooned together

The recruiter gets the tank AND a crew for it if they get a million xp while platooned together. They get just the tank and a commander when the recruit purchases a tier 10 tank.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nope. It just sits there looking pretty.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Reading XVM is quite simple with a little practice. In this case, that screenshot tells me that literally everyone on your team needs to uninstall, kill their families to protect the rest of our population's gene pool, and then kill themselves. Sorry to break it to you that way. :smith:

They're all newbies. They're allowed to be trash. The guy with 7k games is pushing it a little though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I hate my team so much for this:

Well, let's see how the rest of them did...

:downsbravo:

Replay for anyone who wants it.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prav posted:

Big honking Q&A from Storm. FTR. Mostly stuff we already knew. Also SS won't cover WoWS any more so hopefully someone less terrible will do that eventually. :toot:.

- Aufklärungspanzer Panther will be completely removed, not made premium.

Goodnight sweet prince.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Descar posted:

This.
Dont need to turn off wn8, seeing who's xvm arty or decent, is nice to know about. But win percentage is bullshit.
Dont ever trust your team to win for you, do it yourself.

The win percentage calculation is pretty accurate actually. Your team might not be able to win battles for you, but they can sure as hell lose them for you.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 20, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HAHA! loving FINALLY!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The important part of this battle begins at 13:30.

The lovely Matilda on the other team uploaded the same replay. It's not like he did anything clutch other than drive a Matilda.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

coyo7e posted:

So I have been playing this on the Xbox 360 console and I know it's nerfed to poo poo and retarded but I was trying to talk a new roommate into installing this on his monster water-cooled box, and was wondering if there's a post or anything I should point him to with a list of mods etc he should get set up ahead of time, while he watches me play the lovely version on my poorbox.

Check my post on the first page of this thread.

In other news I have no idea how to get Ace Tanker in the Pz. II G. 180 damage every 15 seconds is way less than I'm comfortable with. Anyone with any tips other than "shoot all the mans"?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

Play it like an autoloader. Dump clip, gtfo (you're fairly mobile). Also, the bloom on shooting is terrible, so if you're engaging any farther than about 30 meters away you won't want to dump the clip at once. Fire, let reticle settle a bit, fire again.

The main thing it has is pen. You can gently caress up tier 5s good, but they'll probably ignore you because you're a tier 3 light. Use that to your advantage.

Hellsau posted:

Killshots are the way to go for low tier aces. You can't put out enough damage due to the HP pool to match the 50-100 xp or whatever per kill. Spotting damage can come close though.

I got it. All it took was doing more damage than everyone else on my team in a tier 4 game. At 180 damage every 15 seconds and 32 penetrations in 68 shots. :psyduck:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiac posted:

WG could easily do a lot of things to improve their game, but don't.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I got Ace Tanker in my M41 Bulldog in a 4k damage defeat:

:smithicide:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm almost convinced that when a tank takes damage that should kill it completely it gets a saving roll that gives it a 5% chance of leaving it alive with one HP instead. How much more often do you see tanks with 1 HP compared to tanks with 2 HP?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Prav posted:

Maybe it sets <10 HP tanks to 1 HP :tinfoil:

I just left a tank with 1 HP in two consecutive games. :shepicide:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Battleship drivers are the wehraboos of botes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Poil posted:

Installing the bote beta is taking forever. Over 3 hours now.

Well you have until 6:00 PM EST before it starts.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Is clicking on the community tab on https://worldoftanks.com making the website in Spanish for anyone else?

Edit: Bummer, they fixed it.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 26, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

GET ON MY BACK PUBLORDS, AND I WILL CARRY YOU TO VICTORY!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oh, Ilya. :allears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Wait how do you spend money on the winter mode?

Buy healing shells for gold, like a moron.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Woah woah woah don't be a bully in the World of Tanks thread.

Thank you AntiBullyRanger Hellsau, you have truly made me see the error of my ways.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Viperidae posted:

Try this: http://worldofwarships.eu/en/cbt/game_download/1

I just download it from the member page. It has gone from being the beta weekend page to having alpha info on it for me. Can't see the alpha forums though and I'm still in the weekend tester group on the forums.

(If it doesn't work for you I can upload the installer somewhere for you)

Confirming that this works. The link for NA is http://worldofwarships.com/en/cbt/game_download/1. You need to be logged in to your Wargaming account before you can download it.

Edit: Holy poo poo the Kitakami! All those torpedoes! :captainpop:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 31, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Viperidae posted:

Weekend tester. Same as always.

Same here. I literally played only three games during the second weekend too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Is it viable to do LT-15 (4k spotting/assist dmg) in the M41 Bulldog? :stare:

Starting to think it's too easy for the enemy to spot and kill it.

I have done 4k straight damage in the bulldog before, so 4k spotting should be achievable.