Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tell people to get a goon to send them a referral code too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

There's something right about a goofy translation for a wot thread title.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Only some whites.

I wish nothing more than that man's children have happy and loving marriages with roma.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So I thought I didn't have the krautwagon, turns out it's so ugly and bad looking my eyes were protecting me from it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If you're going to play it, play one battle against bots for 200 free xp.

I just did, and honestly I'm kind of annoyed because the game mechanics seem less aggressively bad. GJ WG, way to release a game at the lowest point of its entire existence. Do that to WoWS and I'll cut you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I flew once just to see how it was, and I most certainly didn't inhale.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hellsau posted:

No seriously I tried playing Planes on Saturday. Got nothing but 3v3s or 2v2s.

The matchmaker is abominable.

I don't think WG has ever made an MM that works well with less than a thousand or so players. The actual flying around and clicking on planes bit has lost the lol energy fighters boom and zoom master race it had at launch as far as I can tell though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I love the game. I would very much enjoy a single player World of Tanks.

I hate the pubbies. They ruin everything.

PvE would be the best thing that happened to tanks. I just want to carebear with like four decent humans.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rincewinds posted:

I played WoWP in beta and it was rather fun for me at the time. However, Beta 4.0 made it too unfun for me for some reason. They changed too many things at once, so I have no real idea if it was the changes in the planes, the physics or the flight model that killed it for me, but I pretty much stopped. Good news are that my fake gold got converted into two months premium when it went live.

I think it was because it went from bland but playable where every plane could theoretically contribute to boom and zoom boogaloo hope you picked a german heavy fighter otherwise you literally won't be able to fight back as the invincible sky gods pick you off. When you add a bunch of mechanics to give a set of planes a big bonus to being good at bnz and then make it so that firing while climbing does about 1 DPS, you just broke your game.

I'm still livid about it too. First dogfighting game that was straight up about cool ACM stuff, not being better able to manage the camera and not crash or being better able to manage your engine mixture. The Picture in Picture was a damned revelation because it meant you could actually quickly look at where you're plane's flying and back to your target without being a three handed ambidextrous mouse wizard. Realism is neat but I want a game about outflying people and shooting them down, and WoWP was it until it became about clicking the big red button in a German heavy fighter or US fighter.

EDIT: Wait, Smith, that guy said he lives in Pennsylvania out of Fort Bragg? Jesus. (Hint: Bragg is in North Carolina, about a 6-8 hour drive away from PA). If he's in Lehigh Valley, he's looking for Fort Indiantown Gap. God drat, that's better than the time someone said he went to West Point and flew A-10s for the Marines.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 1, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

I bought Shadow of Mordor as well when it first went on sale for $30, it's... okay. I can see why it was super hyped for a few weeks and really died down, despite being "open world" you can't walk more than 50 yards without engaging a mob of enemies or sneaking, and when you kill a mob of Uruks another gaggle of them respawn nearby and immediately come towards your location.

It's a great open world ork assassinating sim for a while at least.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mans posted:

They actually fixed that after a few months and the game became this really fun arcade flight game where Boom and zoomers got obvious advantages at climbing and diving but if you got entangled with an agile fighter you'd be hosed, meaning the game was all about skill.

Then they patched the game so that the cannon bullets would't fly torwards the aim but considerably above or bellow (you'd have to experiment to see where they went!). They then made the matchmaker bug the gently caress out even if the game had a decent number of people playing and for some reason the game became much more resource intensive (after the "HQ" and "lower res" split i think) and i stopped playing afterwards because i assumed Wargaming was intentionally trying to draw people away from the game.

It's a shame, i thought it had a much smoother game philosophy than Tanks.

Yeah, they did stupid things after launch too, but what they did at launch really killed it as far as I can tell.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KurdtLives posted:

My understanding from the MilHist thread is that literally the only good idea Hitler had in WWII was to point 88's at tanks.

I believe the whole pointing aa guns and medium artillery at tanks thing had been done in the Spanish Civil War. Hence the AP shells in ready supply for WWII.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Chai sniping is playing to maximize wn8 rather than to win. It's even more extreme than playing for carries by farming damage till your team collapses and then trying to carry, because damage farming losses still gets the sweet purple points. It's a shame that a good win rate standard doesn't exist so they could just minmax playing to win.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The turret at least makes corners not suck.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

I make money in my E100 firing 100% Gold.

Steps to achieve this:

1. Maintain 85% hit rate
2. Win

So you're saying click red tanks. Gotcha.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sphrin posted:

After watching some of the replays of the alpha on youtube I'm getting really hyped for World of Warships, I know I shouldn't after Warplanes but it just looks like it actually works and I can't wait to get my hands on it to try it out.

Between Warships and Armored Warfare I'm really excited to see where this genre of games is going.

The Warships leaks annoyed me. How many people needed to start leaking and get banned in tier one anyway?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ideally I'm looking for someone who doesn't get mad at tanks, but original and varied cursing is an acceptable second place.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

There's another beta weekend next week?! :magical:

Quite likely.

Dalael posted:

During the WOWs weekend, a lot of people were charging straight at their opponents with forward guns blazing. Although a legitimate idea if the your goal is to get closer to an opponent, these people would never turn to broadside once in a good range. They just turn away and start using the aft guns.

When I told some guy he sucked for doing that, his excuse was that he was doing it to mitigate damage. I then promptly showed him the error of his ways by doing a full broadside in his face. Too bad it didn't one shot him, that would have proved my point.

drat I miss botes. All of you with Alpha are making me envious.

The funny thing is that with about a thirty degree angle off your stern/bow you can get all your broadside onto a dude and still not be showing a flat side to him. People who know more guns = better don't tend to take advantage of that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

Next time I get to play, I'll try that. I tend to give more of a 45 degree angle, which allowed people to land pretty solid shots on me. I can see how 30 would minimize the silhouette even more.

Think angling a maus turret only backwards. Angled when shooting, straight when not.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

demonR6 posted:

If you are on the WoWS forums (which you should be) send a message to Gunlion.

Some are some aren't. I think some people got different emails.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Being in bw should guarantee access to the next one. If you got alpha access, your BW email should reflect it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

play with goons?

Yes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Viperidae posted:

Sign-ups for WoWS beta weekend have started. At least in EU.

Hurry up or you'll miss it.

These are the words of a wise man.

this is the click of a pro.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 20, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rorac posted:

Did what? I don't know what I'm supposed to see here.

He's got the lights.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Shoulda checked the tech trees.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Poil posted:

Can you carry games with them? :v:

Maybe. Can you?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Some testers are of a mind that torps are overpowered at point-blank ranges and that they should have a 'run time to arm' mechanic to prevent it, or the explosions should potentially damage the launching vessel if they're too close.

...these people are idiots.

Man if they play to their strengths and I let them they should get arbitrarily punished.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lead. Game automatically does the elevation. Just hit 8 out of 12 torps fired. 45k shot against a BB and a 4 torp demolition of a CV. Torps are hilariously borked.

Good hits are hilariously borked.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cool kids dodge torps in a battleship.

If your shots go through enemy hulls, aim farther forward, their hull is actually ahead of where your computer thinks it is. :iiam:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dodging them in a big fat ship is pretty awesome too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Try shift and ctrl-x as well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Really? It seems loving insane to add Russia to botes before the UK, and Germany + Italy should probably be in before Russia too. russianbias.jpg

They've said they're adding USSR and UK in parallel but the UK got delayed so it'll be a bit later. Not a huge deal to me, pandering to primary markets is the sore of thing Americans demand all the time. Plus some of the USSR stuff looks fun. Some fast destroyers.

Ichase also made a vid, probably better because he at least knows some mechanics even if he isn't great at it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

If not for Russian pandering, they should be adding UK and Germany together first, then France and Italy.

Botes also seems to be a lot more flexible in the way they can approach their thinner trees, they're not enforcing development progression where none exists - the US Aircraft Carrier branch in particular is all out of order going 1920, 1942, 1944, 1931, 1927, 1942, x, and if memory serves US Destroyer progression got wonky in one or two place as well, stepping back in years to ensure they stepped up in size.

Germany should be after France and/or Italy if they aren't pandering at all. They at least had modern, good ship designs for WWII.

And sorry French, this should honestly be in the passwords thread, it's really the least bad solution.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

What is with hating so much on Germany's WWII fleet?

One must first consider that Germany's fleet had mostly been scuttled at the end of WWI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_German_fleet_in_Scapa_Flow
With that in mind, it takes a long time to rebuild an entire fleet from scratch. Germany partially succeeded at this.

The ships they built were, at the start of the war, some of the most advanced obsolete warships in the world. Sadly for mustachio fuhrer, Battleships had been made obsolete sometime between WW1 and WWII thanks to the development of airplanes. Germany had a grand total of 0 aircraft carriers which meant that their ships could never roam the Atlantic without fears of getting sunk by something that cost 1/1000th of their price tag.

All in all tho, if air power was taken out of the picture, Germany's navy could have inflicted a lot of damage to the Royal Navy.

In all fairness, Bismark and Tirpitz were the most powerful warships of their time. Of course, throughout the war, better ships were being built. The Iowa-class Battleship is a good example. But one must not forget that Bismark-class BB's were designed in 1932 while the Iowa was designed in 1938.

6 years is a long time in war.

The German WWII designs sucked. The Bismarck was 5000 tons heavier than the Richelieu and got a few debatable advantages and disadvantages. With a weak stern prone to collapse, bad underwater protection and unprotected key systems she was very prone to hits damaging her capabilities, something a commerce raider simply cannot afford, and all of those weaknesses contributed to her getting turned into a smoldering pile of scrap unable to resist by a bloody 1920 design.

Their cruisers sucked harder. Look at how much more weight the Eugens needed than the British county class cruisers of 1928 to achieve mostly the same thing. Or their American, Japanese (overloaded but they did much more), Italian or French contemporaries. In fact, the Zara and Algerie are very good designs, and the French Algerie is regarded as one of the best treaty cruisers (the Zaras were a radar set away from fantastic). Half again the weight for not much capability if any, and a bunch more crew.

The German destroyers were big fat pigs, compare the 1936-As to the French Mogadors. Weep softly. Move on.

German aircraft carriers were actually just one lumber warehouse with a planned air wing that made British ideas look good. Sorry, but with access to Japanese practice, using biplane torpedo bombers for your scouts is pathetic. And 109s as carrier fighters is a very dubious idea. And guess what? She was way overweight. Half again the weight of the Yorktowns and an air wing of under 50 planes. If you like the small air wing of British carriers and the enclosed hangar with no armored flight deck of the Japanese tinderboxes, this is the lumber warehouse for you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dalael posted:

Considering it sunk a battlecruiser in under 8 minutes, damaged another one badly enough that it had to withdraw, took a few torpedoes and still managed to sail away... only to be scuttled by its crew after a 10 hour battle in which it was badly outnumbered and reduced to shambles... I think Bismark did okay.

poo poo, I wasn't even aware that the germans had a concept for a carrier, no matter how lovely it was.

Sinking a British battlecruiser is not a particularly difficult feat. In fact, German battlecruisers did it three times at Jutland and they didn't have the advantages of over a decade.

The KGV hadn't worked up yet and was missing salvoes constantly, and yet it still got a hit into the vitals of the Bismarck and retreated in pretty good shape, leaving her opponent with a restricted range the would have been fatal on its own in a lot of cases. I guess destroying a 15 year old ship that was dangerously obsolescent when new and managing to come out slightly ahead of a ship that can only fire about half as many shells as you is okay for a supposedly good ship? Maybe?

Regarding torpedo hits, battleships are supposed to be able to take them. It's kind of a problem when a single torpedo causes the stern to irreparably collapse onto the rudders and lock them in place, especially on a ship that has differential thrust steering capability that's pathetic by the standards of other navies. The only battleship to fare worse under torpedo attack was the PoW, and the Bismarck had nothing to prevent a screw hit like that from gutting her as well. A single torpedo shouldn't render a ship unnavigable without a hit to the screws. The triple screw stern made for a weakness where one didn't need to be.

Finally, the point of a battleship is to remain capable of combat as long as possible. The Bismarck sacrificed combat capability to stay afloat. This led to one of the saddest excuses for a battle in history, where a vaunted supership sat there helpless after losing two turrets in twenty minutes and all guns in under an hour to a ship 15 years her elder and a ship whose guns only kinda worked while only able to score a single miss of 20 feet.

And yeah, carriers aren't that hard. Decent carriers are hard and very good carriers are quite difficult, but the Graf Lumberyard was neither.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

rude. no kink shaming, thanks.

Jingles made a botes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebx89jbm2vw
tldr: he likes it.

Pointing out the damage he does in the BB to that cruiser with AP and that special ribbon for that hit.

With videos and stuff getting released there might actually be enough stuff that a thread wouldn't be an obvious please ban us for NDA breaches that are inevitably going to happen with a bunch of people with access talking.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 26, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvvqUvars0

Video by iChase, an alpha who has a vague idea how to battleship with AP shells and also carrier action.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rossmum posted:

A battleship sinking a battlecruiser isn't that impressive, it's kind of the whole point. Battleships have armour, battlecruisers don't. The point of a battlecruiser is to not get hit by a battleship or you're going to have a super lovely day. At any rate, Hood was beginning to show her age and there was no way she could've survived a hit to her magazines. Bismarck would likely have been in deep poo poo then and there had KGV's gunnery not been hosed up.

The underwater hit the Bismarck took was the sort that a commerce raider simply cannot afford if they get caught not near port. It could just as easily have been the Bismarck scuttling herself in port waiting for fuel in South America after an inconclusive fight, not the Graf Spee. The KGV and Bismarck against each other is probably a roll of the dice to be honest, it's all about critical hits, and the KGV could easily knock out the Bismarck's fire direction like Rodney or flood her machinery with more underwater hits or something bad could've happened to her. That sort of thing is a numbers game. Problem is the Bismarck weighed enough to be armed with and armored against 16", and that would've been no contest.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Finally. Yamato footage from a dude who knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MiLYz95MBI

And I'm basically done here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sweet, I love effortposts. If I talk about boats more can you link an article about samovars at war?