Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Aramoro posted:

I think it depends on the map really, Boats struggle on El Halluf.

Beach a destroyer in the lake, it's like a bat 155 that doesn't have to can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Out of the weekends until the next signup batch or closed beta proper starting.

And hopefully they undo the DMCA stupids soon so I can link decent and good players showing what skill looks like rather than Jingles going "oh look at me fighting a battleship while forgetting abilities and firing suboptimal ammo isn't that fantastic?" (I'm glad he's having fun but its nothing like tedster dropping citadel hits into destroyers and taking off battleships' faces or even ichase being competent in a carrier).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I didn't think the Yamato video posted earlier showed all that much though. He barely took any damage because the enemy team ignored him completely...for some reason. He managed to kill 5 ships without really doing much besides pointing and clicking.

That's fair enough. They really did leave him alone, but that is what good battleship gunnery looks like. I do think that chase's video is significantly more interesting even if it doesn't show the same skill with the game. It's like a replay of a tanks game where everything goes right. However, for dudes wondering about AP and HE, note the shell choice. He's shooting very well and HE may be more reliable for some shots, but that's the sort of thing BB AP can do.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Magni posted:

Flood the valley and drive a battleship in there that gets to wail on both teams. Actually, that'd be more fun than playing at least old El Halluf. :v:

Ships or boats mechanics? I can forsee some mad if a boat gets blown to bits by dudes doing full damage shooting the bridge or uptakes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

At least the US got involved long enough for their troops to improve the gene pool of the UK.

Tell me if it gets a TK thanks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm glad none of those premiums are going to tempt me to spend money not on an objectively better game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dudes who think they may be in Armored Warfare, check their forums to see if you've got access to the beta forum.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If planes is any indication, it won't work for a little bit on launch while they run the poopsock a 10 contest and all that jazz, but it'll work after a few weeks to a month.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

People who've been making it work should probably be checking on the forums what group they're in.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

When's winter mode ending? Trying to grind some botes stuff.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Do any of the allied nations have obsessive idiot followers who can't be happy with anything else? Gotta cater to the idiots who insist on loving nazi stuff in particular and don't even know what an SMS Emden is (probably some text message thing).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prav posted:

I don't think there's any shortage of americans who absolutely have to play their granpa's ship the USS Full of Semen or englishmen nostalgic for the good ol' days of empire (which totally wasn't crumbling at the time).

From what I've seen depressingly few compared to the numbers of people who want to drive the Bismarck, Prinz Eugen (How do you even like that class they didn't do anything special) and other horrid wastes of schiffbaustahl.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So did other better ships.

I'm not joking when I say the entire Nazi surface navy was less effective at its assigned task than an obsolete Imperial German light cruiser in WWI. The Emden became two words in South/Southeast Asian languages, the only use I've found for Bismarck as a word is "rudder destroyed and getting pounded".

If I could have one wish in this life, I would've made the kancolle German ships burly beefcake versions of their mustachioed Prussian namesakes and basked in the tears.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Agrajag posted:

Yamato <3

Anime: totally not rapey guys.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I really want to believe that notorious Amrican chauvinistic cheesburger scarfing means that more Americans would be mad if American ships weren't in than Axis ships. I just don't know if I can.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Those people don't own computers.

Time to build some cod kiddies computers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Southern Dandy posted:

Goddamn I watched DBZ and now some goons associate me with these people.

I don't think that word applies there, tbh.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Southern Dandy posted:

People? I'm just guessing here.

It is obvious in context that that's the case, yes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Important question: Can I name a soviet ladycommander Oktyoberskaya (sp?).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

I tried searching the forums and couldn't find one - does anyone know if there is a Botes thread yet? I am not in the alpha, but it looks amazing.

Game's under an NDA. Probably not the best idea ever to have a thread that'd encourage a whole bunch of people to show up at the top of a google search.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, if that name's an option I'm getting a Soviet lady crew.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Subyng posted:

Anime is actually good* though

*not universally but there exist many good examples within the genre

There are many things that would be vastly cooler and more interesting if veering into anime cliche didn't sap them of what made them worthwhile in the first place.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I liked the dude who hadn't gotten out of tier three before saying they could shut down the server because he was the only one testing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Look, we should accurately model the massive superiority of the USN. I want my drat AWACS planes.

Also radar gunfire OP, apparently the Iowa and New Jersey straddled a destroyer at 22 mi with their first salvo late in the war (Nowachi, it's in Kawachi's record of movement).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What's a good book to stop somebody from believing in the Krupp Steel mythos? I have an acquaintance who was arguing about German/Soviet K/D ratios and I want to shoot myself.

I'd be tempted to do Lorraine 1944: Patton versus Manteuffel by Zaloga. Highlights include the French and Americans drubbing the everloving poo poo out of Germans. The Battle of Dompaire is beautiful because it's Frenchmen using American weapons and doctrine, so by dumb people myths they have everything wrong and they just utterly plaster the Germans.

Actually screw it, here's a thing I wrote drawing heavily on it:

The Battle of Arracourt

The Battle of Arracourt was the result of a German counterattack to try and counter a potential US attack into the Saar region by the 3rd Army under George S. Patton. The German forces were based around tank force concentrated in a new series of tank brigades, most formed around the remnants of units destroyed during Operation Bagration. The 5th Panzer Army was built around three such brigades, the 111th, 112th, and 113th, each armed with 45 Panthers, 45 Panzer IVs and 10 Pz. IV/70 tank destroyers. Unfortunately these formations were intended as counterattack forces for the Eastern front and were weak in infantry, artillery, reconnaissance, and support. The US forces were based on the 3rd Army, containing the US 4th, 6th and 7th Armored Divisions, and the French 2nd Armored Division. The Allied forces had much better combined arms organization (for example the US armored divisions had three battalions each of Tanks, Armored Infantry and Armored Field Artillery). The US also had far superior artillery and air support.

The fighting began when Panzer Brigade 106 attempted a spoiling attack against the US 90th Infantry Division 8 September, but in the night its components were separated and all except Stossgruppe A, with a quarter its force, were destroyed as functional units by encirclements and US defenses.

The next fighting occurred near Dompaire, where Allied attacks threatened the staging areas for the German Fifth Panzer Army. The French 2nd Armored Division had punched a Combat Command through the German lines and the German 64th Corps was threatening collapse. Combat Command Langlade included 45 M4A2 with 75mm guns, three M4A2 with 76mm guns, 9-12 M10 tank destroyers and three to six companies of infantry. The Germans sent Pz. Brig. 112 and a combat group of the 21st Panzer Division (I/Pz. Rgt. 29) to defeat the French forces. The French forces encountered strong German resistance, and expertly coordinated air strikes destroyed some tanks, while the French used the cover of the second to get into position and trap the German tanks. A hasty roadblock stopped a relief force from Pz. Brig. 112, and after the resulting fight the I/Pz.Rgt. 29 had lost 34 of its Panthers and had four operational, and Pz. Brig. 112 had been reduced to 21 tanks of its 90 and lost 350 dead and 1,000 wounded. French losses were five M4A2 tanks, two M5A1 tanks, two half-tracks, two jeeps; 44 killed and a single P-47 was shot down.

The next fighting was over Arracourt itself. It began on 18 September with an attack by the 47th Panzer corps, consisting of Pz. Brig. 111, the remnants of Pz. Brig. 112 moved to Luneville, where they encountered an outpost of the US 42nd Cav. Sqn., which fought a tenacious defense with M8 howitzer motor carriages and dismounted troops, which bought time for the 2nd Cavalry Group to withdraw through the town and call for reinforcements. Combat command A (CCA) of the 4th Armored Division and elements of CCB of the 6th Armd. Div. rushed to the scene of the fight, where they began a close range firefight, where the US heavy artillery fire forced the Germans back.

The German plans changed at that point, with Nancy becoming the main objective, in order to rescue trapped German forces. Pz. Brig. 111 was assigned to the 58th Panzer Corps, which would take the main brunt of the offensive. Pz. Brig. 111 and Pz. Brig. 113 were tasked to attack the 4th Armd. Div.'s CCA, and even though Pz. Brig. 111 became lost during the night, Pz. Brig. 113 had a 2:1 advantage. The first contact by either side on the 19th was when a US liaison officer moving between his platoons in a jeep ran into the rear of a German tank column near Moncourt. Because of the fog, he was able to escape undetected and reported to the 37th Tank Bn. commander, Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams. The German tanks began blundering into the US tanks, which enjoyed better knowledge of local terrain. The first combat of the day occurred when that column, the spearhead of the eastern portion of Pz. Brig. 113, ran into an outpost of M4 tanks from the 37th, and three Panthers were knocked out in close succession. The rest veered off, but the US tanks raced to a commanding ridge, from which position they knocked out four of the remaining Panthers, and then pulled back out and finished off the remaining four. An M18 platoon en route to reinforce the outpost near Lezey made the next contact, and ran into the western spearhead of Pz. Brig. 113, and in the firefight at 150 yards, the four M18s destroyed seven German tanks and forced their retreat for three tank destroyers lost. In the meeting engagements that morning, the tank destroyers knocked out a total of 19 German tanks by mid-afternoon, but at heavy cost, including the battalion commander, killed by mortar fire. Abrams rallied his forces near Arracourt, and sent Cos. A and B to counterattack near Réchicourt, destroying nine Panthers for three M4 medium tanks. By late that day, the 4th Armored Division had destroyed 43 German tanks, mostly new Panthers for six killed, three wounded, three M18s, and five M4 mediums.

The attack continued the next day, with Pz. Brig 111 taking the attack. The day's action began with eight German tanks appearing out of the fog 1,000 yards away from the 191st Field Artillery Battalion. The tanks were quickly taken under fire at point-blank range, while tanks and tank destroyers from other units appeared to provide cover. At that point, Abrams ordered the 37th Tank Bn. to clear the area of German tanks. The next action occurred when Company C was ambushed by a company of PzKpfw IVs and anti-tank guns, losing six M4s in seconds. After pulling back and regrouping with Company B, they maneuvered for better positions and re-engaged the German tanks, knocking out 11 for six more losses. A further five panzers were knocked out later in the day. While this occurred, CCB, 4th Armd. Div. was attacking near Chateau Salins, threatening to penetrate between Fifth Panzer Army and First Army north of it.

As a result of the poor German showing, Hitler sacked Blaskowitz as overall commander and replaced him with Hermann Balck, who shifted the focus north of Arracourt, which confused the effort further since the German armor was massed south of Arracourt. The German attack on 22 September started with a series of skirmishes where seven M5A1 tanks were knocked out trying to hold off much more powerful German tanks. However, the Germans then ran into M18s which knocked out three of their number. During this delaying action, Abrams moved the 37th Tank Bn. to a hill near Trois Crois overlooking the German reinforcements, taking them under fire and calling in artillery on them. As the retreating Germans were pounded by M7 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriages and P-47s, General Manteuffel, in command of 5th Panzer Army, committed Pz. Brig. 133's remnants to no perceptible effect. In the three days of fighting from 19 to 22 September, CCA, 4th Armd. Div. had lost 14 M4 medium and 7 M5A1 light tanks, 25 killed and 88 wounded, shattering two panzer brigades with 90 Panthers and 90 PzKpfw IVs combined.

The Germans resumed their attack on 24 September with the 559th Volksgrenadier Division and the remaining tanks of Pz. Brig. 106. which attacked CCB of 4th Armd. Div.. Despite the 80% cloud cover, two squadrons of P-47s were vectored into the area with radar, and made a skip bombing attack through a gap in the clouds against the Panthers from about 15 feet, then returned to strafe. The German attack collapsed in 15 minutes.

On September 25, the Germans attacked again with the Fifth Panzer Army, which had about 50 tanks all together, after merging the shattered brigades with divisions that could use their remaining resources. After an uncontested morning attack, they pressed their attack further but were beaten back by Americans with the high ground and artillery support. After this day, the 37th Tank Bn. was pulled back to rest, and the line was held by three of the 4th Armd. Div.'s armored infantry battalions. After this point, the German tanks were so severely depleted that the infantry were the driving force of the engagement, and the American air power and artillery were telling, resulting in a German withdrawal on 29 September, with only 4 German tanks remaining operational at the end of the day. The last four days had cost the Fifth Panzer Army about 700 killed and 300 wounded, as well as 14 PzKpfw IVs and 22 Panthers.

These operations attracted the majority of German panzer forces allowing the British to conduct Market-Garden with much less tank opposition than otherwise, and saw the Third Army crossing the Moselle, placing it in position to relieve the defenders of Bastogne two months later.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

How can anybody pretend to be human without stuffing their desk area full of monitors?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Surprised Manteuffel was so happy with the Panther after he got wrecked at Arracourt, with the 4s doing most of the work for him.

sauer kraut posted:

That's the first gameplay of WoWS I've seen yet, not even gonna bother until torps get removed.
How can they make the same arty mistake twice :smithcloud:

If they don't use any of the many lines of defense available to them they probably deserve torps. Artillery lands before the target knows it, torps don't.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's amazing how that sort of crowd clusters around the worst bit of anime. Oh, wait, they're disproportionately kancolle fans.

Kancolle is especially offensive and incredibly creepy even by anime standards. Look how hot the results of violence on women are because their clothes got torn off! If they were drawing the stuff especially to appeal to rapists, I doubt they'd change a thing.

And I've liked a decent fraction of anime I've seen, even relatively obscure ones, and I have to say that most of the time it's despite being anime. The rapiness and sudden style shifts to cutsiness in Hellsing don't add anything, and the expository game show episode in (and general trajectory of the second half of) Ergo Proxy are embarrassments to a gorgeous show that was shaping up to be really cool.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You forgot the grogs who want stuff that wasn't fun and added complexity but not depth back.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

This is not even remotely close to reality FYI

Are you saying that there's worse out there? Possibly, but the mechanics of the "fanservice" just mean that any others are extra special bad because we're starting at a really low point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I can't be bothered to know about ships but I've contributed so much!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Hi Rossmum, I heard you wanted kawaii Comet tank waifus. Unfortunately I couldn't find you any. As condolences, please have this IS2:

I would watch the hell out of three tankmen and a cat.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The 128 on the Rhoomba isn't accurate enough to avoid being frustrating in its optimal range and I remind myself of that every time I wish I had more alpha.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Would Wargaming notice if someone hypothetically abused their forums' reputation system via a script and multiple accounts :negative:

The posrepitron has happened before and will happen since.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hypnotik is a chill dude. I miss hanging out with him.

He's also why Detroit was Ruinberg on Fire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

PBKAC.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I dunno. I got asked whether I was still interested cause I hadn't played in like ever. Didn't really care, still taking a break.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prav posted:

I mean, it looks a bit cargo-culty to me. I'd like to be wrong but this is Obsidian, notable for standing on the shoulders of giants without really getting much taller.

Unless you like wordy games for their words, or want an actual decent fallout, but they've only done wordy games. It'll be interesting especially if they do what they say they will and do something different with artillery.

I just want to not have to rely on pubbies, so pve will make it a game I might play.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Have a friend ready in a sky helper once you get six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

McGavin posted:

This. If you do it properly the ship you're targeting can't dodge at all.

They can still do a bunch to deny good fixes if they're dodging before the planes drop.