Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Althought I free xp'd to the 128mm gun on the Emil, I enjoyed the tank. It has a ton of downsides, but its upside is having great gun depression and a goddamn 128mm gun at tier 7. If you play to its strengths, it can work well. Also its loads of fun nailing a tier 5 for 95% of its health with a single shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The idea of starting a match and seeing 5 platooned T-54s on one side would probably make me quit right there.
Or what would happen more often, 1 Maus and 4 tier 1 tank, or 5 TOGs. Although with 5 TOGs the enemy side runs a real risk of running out of ammo before killing all 5 of them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

Sturer Emil: Top gun or stock gun with gold?

The stock gun has slightly better DPM and handling with only 4mm less pen, while the top gun only has 15 shells.

Running out of shells in a Sturer never happened to me in my games in it. I got within 1-2 shells a few times, but by that point things were either in the bag already or had completely gone to poo poo. It did make me have to be a lot more choosy with shots though. Instead of aiming for the most dangerous tank in a group, I'd go for something softer just to make sure the shot counted.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

DonkeyHotay posted:

I'm an indifferent sniper at best so my charioteer performance is really unreliable but sometimes, man, sometimes

And then nature took over and i died to a stock kv-4

I really want a Charoiteer after dinking around with on one test, but playing through the Challenger to get it? Noooooooope. It is crazy they don't give the Challenger at least the 20pdr A barrel, a tier 7 TD with less firepower then a light at that tier is pretty sad.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

srb posted:

Is there anything that differentiates the STA-1 and STA-2?

The STA-2 is worse and has the same matchmaking. The -2 is pretty much an elite STA-1 with the middle gun, which is actually pretty workable. But playing any Japanese tank without the goal of the STB is pointless.

Its really tempting to get the AMX CDC, since FCM is probably a better buy with pref matchmaking, but that price difference is pretty noticeable.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 25, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Comfortable is how I'd rate the Black Prince. Its easy to drive, it will bounce a ton it shouldn't, the gun works well enough. The thing is, it isn't very good. Sure, compared to the poo poo parade that is the Church7 before it, the BP is incredible. But compared to most any other tier 7 heavy? Noooooope.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

primelaw posted:

Cheers to you naysayer! This thing does have the newest i7 in it though, while my desktop still has a sandy bridge i5 2500k in it. Still, it kinda surprised me.

I think most of WoT is CPU limited, at least until they get around to upgrading the engine.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
With the improvements on the MT-25, I really wish they had given it a better gun. To at least it bring it inline with other similar tier tanks. The autocannon is kinda funny though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

maev posted:

Who the gently caress said this Awful Panther was good I will find them and hurt them. I could be playing the loving Bulldog at this tier :negative:

Curse you Luchs for bringing me down this path, I hope the RU is worth it.

I just bought it tonight to work on getting a Ru251, and that convert XP button is really tempting. Same with jumping to the LTTB, but I think the MT-25 and I can work something out. It at least feels like a T-50-2 enough that I can amuse myself playing Tony Hawk's Pro Tanker.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Tried a half dozen games to get the LT/SPG pair up mission, and gently caress it. Its bad enough I have to platoon, why do I have to pair up with spgs and hope the RNG works for them?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Alright, time for some tanking, starting with the M41:
Driving full speed, dude in a T49 nails me for 850 or so at 300m+, sets me on fire and breaks my ammo rack. I've got 3 hp left, an E3 finishes me off.
T71 time: ammo rack damaged in first shot, I drive off, a Tortiose shooting HE hits my engine.

Off to a great start.

I hope the CDC hurries up and clicks with me, I've had a rough series of games in it. I just haven't gotten used to how fragile it is. I really is a giant hellcat that can be spotted from the moon. That really needs safe stowage, somehow a T37 can damage its ammo rack in single shot.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 10, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

I don't think I like LTs any more.

LTs are still fun, its that the missions are bad with them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

:drat:

Holy poo poo whats this about a Caern/BP child premium tank I just got the best boner.

A premium stock Caern sounds about the worst thing ever developed. Unless its tier 7.

The Brit tree is a weird, at this point their heavies are out gunned at almost every tier.

The MT-25's comedy cannon is hilarious if you catch the right target with it. That thing spits out a loving insane amount of damage. If its not one of those, I guess you can annoy the poo poo out of people, but that reload time is a huge bummer.

Does anyone remember the name of the mod that makes the auto-aim snap on area larger?

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 11, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
My CDC is the bad game magnet, I've had maybe 5 games in it that haven't been complete blowouts.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Anyone ever gotten the feeling they forgot how to play some tanks? I just can't make the IS-3 work for me anymore, I don't know what it is.
Also, if anyone ever sees The_commissioner in game, TK him for me. He got mad because we covered the forest in Murovanka, and apparently that isn't the pro-48%er strategy. So he sat in the corner and moped.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I still wish premium shells were different, instead of just "here's more pen with minor trade offs."
Like if APCR kept its higher pen, but did less damage and had a chance of penning a tank and zipping through the other side if whatever it shot at had low armor. Or HEAT would have a higher chance of module damage/crew injury at the expense of damage. HE could damage external modules or stun the crew reducing their effectiveness.
Just seems like there is so much more they could do with ammo types to make things interesting.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

rossmum posted:

Oh, FV304 :allears:

I blew up his AC48 from full health while he was distracted fighting other poo poo and narrowly missed top damage on both teams (he did marginally more). Other highlights: two-shotting a CDC and removing like 500hp off an ARL blind.

Accuracy nerf chat: haven't noticed it. Actually, my snapshots seem to be landing more now :psyduck:

The accuracy nerf never felt like much of a nerf, the amount of poo poo that seems to land on snap shots feels really high. I've had a lot of hits from things that in the past wouldn't have gotten near me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Hellsau, I want to say thank you for recommending the comedy 37mm autocannon on the MT-25. When it works, its so incredibly satisfying to just grind some poor idiot to dust. Really burns through the money though firing APCR out of it though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I got the SPG-9 mission for ramming a M41 with my FV304. Not sure that was supposed to work, but I'm ok with it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
300 damage from HT-15 with honors. I knew I should have left that WTE-100 hit me one more time. Sigh.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

frood posted:

I know there are multiple Caernervon lover here, so tell me: what makes you love this tank so much? Granted, I'm playing with the second gun, but really it feels like a fat slow slightly more armored medium and not the fantastic tank you guys all talk about. Looking at the stats on the last gun vs this gun I guess it's got fantastic aim time but when I'm still only doing 240 damage every 7 seconds who cares?

The Caernervon could be so much better if they shaved a bit more time off the reload. 7s reload for that gun is just lovely. It has a lot of positives and I'm finally making it work for me, but I don't really like it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Mesadoram posted:

You'd be surprised.

Continued CDC report: It's the bees knees. Seriously, it is a total monster. It shits credits when you do even just OK, and when you see a lovely CDC player on the other team it is a XP piņata. It is like a win/win situation.

I honestly don't really like the CDC. It makes money, its comfy to drive and it can really do damage, but goddamn is it's size and armor a problem. I think I'm way too aggressive with it, but hanging back just isn't my thing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The 100mm on the 110 really makes a nice improvement. Its ROF still seems kinda low for a 100mm gun, but having 40 more pen then the D-2-25T is nice.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I regret buying the AMX CDC. I simply cannot get a game where this will work for me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

SARSfest posted:

Playing the firefly again. Doing way better playing it as a passive sniper and not an aggressive flanker, but it's still bad at it's job and I hate it.

The Firefly is weird for me, I should like it since it does the shooting thing really well, but it doesn't make good games happen like the Easy 8 or Cromwell.

Also, not having 6th sense is a giant pain in the rear end on this. Didn't want to pay money to bring the Cromwell crew over for a single tank.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 20, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Sometimes it really feels like HE got stealth buffed, I'm pretty sure it hasn't, but things like the KV-2 and T49 seems to be hitting for a lot more consistent damage. A KV-2 nailed the front pike on my 110 twice for around 300 damage.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

300 is only a little higher than you'd usually expect for a 152mm HE shell. Thankfully, the effective dpm of such a weapon is about 900.

I guess I've been spoiled by some really low rolls in the past. I was ignoring the KV-2 while dealing with a Lowe, WZ-111 and a Panther8.8, so I was pretty surprised to be eating 300 damage from a KV-2 while bouncing everything else. Oh well.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I'm starting to kinda have fun in the Awful Panther, what is going on. As a scout tank its objectively pretty terrible, its huge, has large flat sides and limited camo. As a harassing light tank though, its pretty good. I just wish I had 6th sense on it, but its a been a good opportunity to be more cautious.
Also, it can ram stuff and sometimes win.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Ahhh, got my B2 platoon fix for the day. Nice.

We had a rough start, but eventually got the murdertrain rolling.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Shooting HE out of the MT-25's 37mm autocannon is fun but really ineffective. Which is obvious. Makes some nice explosion effects though on things. Plus seemed to really annoy a Hellcat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I'm kind wishing I put my lady tankers in my US light tanks, I'm eventually going to need a T49 crew and a T37 crew.

So, is the T15 worth getting at all to train up a German lights? I never see them around anymore.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

maev posted:

I'm purple average in my Luchs, Awful Panther and RU-251. The VK was good, hated the Leopard. I can recommend it if you play sneaky sniper and enjoy the style.

I'm more then halfway to the Ru251 now, just was thinking of picking up a trainer. I decided to just move a Pz1C commander with 6th sense over to the Awful Panther and save the gold.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

texasmed posted:

I'd like an invite to the squad if you'll take a bad and sparingly active player. http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1013323516-texasmed/

Going towards the Leopard 1, should I bother with light tanks after tier 5 or are you always badly outgunned by higher-tier mediums?

I'd say most of the light tanks are pretty fun and if things go well, can absolutely wreck poo poo. Almost all the nations have something neat with their lights, with the US having the best all around.

On the other hand, you will have countless rounds where a lucky snapshot kills you, something spots you for some reason and you die, you hit a bump and break both tracks, then die. You get a city map and die.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Unlocked the Challenger today, and uhh..I know DonkeyHotay said it wasn't that bad, I feel as though I'm going to have to disagree. This is a real bummer of a tank.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Well, tonight has been worse then a 5x weekend for game quality.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
From status report:
-It's possible the platoon missions from individual missions will be removed ("there are multiple variants"), developers do have statistics on how many people are "stuck" on platoon mission;
- HT15 individual mission will be simplified for StuG IV and T28HTC;

I'm a fan of both of these. I don't like that platoon missions are part of the individual mission line, if they were bonus objectives I'd be perfectly fine with that. Plus the LT and SPG missions are pretty dumb and rely on a fair amount of luck that not only will your spotting damage count, but the SPG diceroll will come up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

That E-50M nailing that BatChat for 1400 on a ram is amazing. Plus the ricochet killing the other Bat is even better.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I still really like the E-75, what a great tank. Just rolled out and did a 5.5k damage game in it, and managed HT-15 with honors. Its so comfy to drive, you have armor, mobility, nice gun and workable gun depression. Can't believe I ever sold it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
A T49 nailed my Cent7/1 in the turret for over 1000 damage from about 300m+. Its incredible how often those seem to nail long range shots they probably shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

adamantium|wang posted:

So I've finally got enough scratch to get my first Tier 8. Given I enjoy the playstyle of both lines, have a 100% crew ready to go for either and would be doing them pretty much stock, should I get a Tiger II or an IS-3? What gear should go on them? Or should I just shoot myself to save myself from playing either?

Anymore, I think I'd give the edge to the Tiger 2 over the IS-3. The IS-3 has been on the receiving end of a lot of re-balancing and just isn't the same. KT is still solid, does the generalist HT role well, and leads to the E-75/E-100 fun parade.