Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Thank you goons who I lucked into getting on my team on Redshire, you helped me complete the LT-8 personal mission where I had to cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I saw the T28 mission tank today. It looked pretty cool.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Is there anything preventing me from getting my damage for the mission and exiting to garage so I can jump into another 8bit game with one of the other tanks?

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

It could be a Spanish language furry clan. :colbert:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

You haven't got a clue, as per usual, 1v1 never happens, and if you wander off to look for one you end up on the wrong side of a 5v1. You keep living your fanciful dream scenario though, because it sure is a bad idea for the less damaging tanks to use a few credits on a heal shell to keep the glass cannons alive for a couple salvos, gently caress, what a total waste of credits.
Shooting the enemy instead of healing teammates is a far more efficient use of time. You can't heal someone as quickly as they are damaged, and if you heal them, you do nothing to diminish the other team's ability to deal damage. So why would you waste time healing? Just kill the enemies more quickly instead.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Haha I forgot to confirm my Armored Warfare beta application registrations on the 5 email accounts I signed up with. :downs:

I got the emails with the confirmation link and didn't bother to click them to see if I needed to do anything else.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Why did my battle end in a draw when we captured the base? It was a standard battle on Ensk.

I'm kind of annoyed because I was in my Churchill III and thought I had satisfied all the conditions for HT-7. I did 1200 damage and got 3 capture points. We captured the base and the match ended. There were enemy tanks still alive. What am I missing? How is that a draw? They didn't capture.

edit: nevermind, I watched the replay and they did capture. Motherfucker!

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Missing Name posted:

I'm stuck on that loving "heavy go cap and also shoot things lots of times" mission.

HT-7. It sounds like some sort of chemical warfare designation. Nope, it's WG's latest psychological terror campaign.
Yeah, I'm stuck on this bullshit mission. I'm pretty frustrated because I've come within 20 damage of satisfying the requirements of that mission on four different occasions. That's what I get for trying to grind it out with my KV-1S and Churchill III.

I've also tried it with my IS-3, KV-5, and T-34, but I haven't had much luck. It's a lot easier to deal enough damage, but I'm finding it harder to end matches by capping at higher tiers.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Keksen posted:

I mean you're right, but I wouldn't go around drawing conclusions about real tanks from playing an arcade game that happens to use 3D models of those tanks.

Except in the case of the Churchill 3, which was the best tank of the war because it went slow but shot fast.
:eng101: A Churchill III in North Africa disabled Tiger 131, which was the first intact Tiger captured in the war, and is the only functioning Tiger left in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_131#Capture

edit: Tiger 131 was used in the movie Fury

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

rockopete posted:

Nor do I. Are you seriously unaware of the gender norms in mainstream Japanese society?
yes, thank god

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

slowm posted:

Hello, photographer.
Yes, I would like a photograph that captures my super serious side while also highlighting my moderate neckbeard, unwashed hair and developing Cheetoh gut.

Excellent.

"Full Potato"

Yep

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just saw a lone remaining Matilda win against four III and IV tanks, one medium and the rest light. The medium could do it some damage occasionally, but the lights could basically park behind it shooting its rear and do nothing.

Once they lost the medium, is there basically nothing that even three light III-IV can do to defeat a Matilda? Any tiny nook where even poor pen can get through?

The one clever idea that occurred to me, not sure if it would work, would be to catch it somewhere like a corner (such as if it backed into one to protect its rear) and deliberately have two tanks die in front of it to pin it, so the third one could just cap and wait it out.
just tried it, it's extremely effective

at least 5 people instantly got pissed at me and started hurling insults in chat

edit: i've started following it with "if you really think about it, suicide bombers are braver"

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 12, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I had the T28 Prototype LT mission where you have to "damage 5 tanks while on the move" which I assumed meant that I had to be moving while I damaged them. I was having a really tough time grinding that one, but it magically completed after a match that I definitely did not damage 5 tanks while on the move. Unless it meant that the OTHER tanks could be on the move and it would count... or maybe you could sit still while you aimed, then fire, THEN move before the shell hits the target. If the latter, then lol. I'm kind of thinking that's how I completed it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Which gun do you guys recommend using on the T-44?

Rincewinds posted:

Redshire is good for LT spotting, if you spawn north, go to spotting bush, if you spawn south, follow river and go to spotting bush because people pubbies are too loving dumb to use it.
Which one is the spotting bush?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Animal posted:

LB-1. Do not even unlock the 122mm unless you are keeping the tank and need to elite it.
Okay, that's what I figured since I'm going to be using the LB-1 on the T-54 for a while.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Hey you guys remember when the KV-5, KV-220, PzB2, Tertrarch (before there was a mission series to get it), and some lovely tanks (M3 LL and T1E6) were on sale for $60? IF you did not buy that, you made a horrible choice.

I would have had Pool's - I had 8 kills, was against a Valentine, and htey had an SU-26 (incidentally idle) so I was feeling good. I hit the Valentine down to 30 hp....and our Luchs stole the kill. That was the only shot he fired at the Valentine. I didn't take it very well, so I punished our Luchs and their SU-26. My team was not happy that I won the game for them.

I hate pubbies so much.

e: that motherfucking Luchs has killed two tanks in his Luchs across 29 games. God drat it.
That was amazing, thanks for sharing. But I think I lost brian cells watching that mach.

edit: mods can we get a thread name change? The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > World of Tanks: i think i lost brian cells

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 17, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

WayAbvPar posted:

Holy loving poo poo, pubbies are just unbelievably stupid.

Northwest, South spawn in my FV304. I am too busy clicking the map and accidentally run into a T67, doing 10 hp of damage to myself and none to him (because he stopped like a retard, but that is besides the point). I drive past and get set up down the hill. He bitches about my harmless ram in chat and then takes a run at me down the hill, ramming me for 40 points. Instead of calling that good, he starts backing up to do it again.

So I blew him up.

He spent the rest of the game just howling about it. I told him not to pick fights he can't win. But WGA is going to send me a warning, because *reasons*.

Honestly...what the everloving gently caress? Yes, I rammed him accidentally, and did no damage (except to his fragile psyche). I seriously don't understand :psyduck:
If I were you, I'd stop trying to understand, and would instead simply delight in the pubbie's impotent rage. Getting pubbies riled up is the point of this game, right? That's my goal, anyway.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I'm grinding the M44 and I might just give up. The Soviet line all the way through the Obj 261 was so much more fun. Then again, I played through the Soviets before the arty nerfs that came out a while back... version 7.x or something? I don't remember, but I remember shell travel speed was slowed down significantly.

I can't hit poo poo with the M44 and even when I do, the damage isn't that great. Maybe 250 average on a heavy. The leFH is waaaaay better.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

kemikalkadet posted:

I've been doing arty missions today and I've had so many games where none of my shots go remotely close to the centre of the aiming circle. Then I get to the 'damage two tanks in one shot' mission and all my shots start penning when I'm aiming at a group so there's no splash damage. Just did this shot though which is probably my best luck all day:
http://a.pomf.se/opvhtg.webm
I'll have matches where I can't hit anything, until the very end when the last enemy tank has 10 hp and is running full speed, and I'll nail him. It's like the game is taunting me.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

The thing that annoys me most about the campaign missions is you need to do them in every type of tank. You can only skip a type of tank if you do the secondary conditions for every single mission for the other four types.

I don't want to play arty and they shouldn't try to make me do it. I don't even care about the reward tank very much but I'd like to unlock the other campaigns for the silver.
You definitely do not have to do the secondary missions for every mission, just the 15th mission for each tree. I got my StuG IV and did not finish the artillery line (because gently caress being top 3 exp in artillery with the way exp mechanics work).

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I have never noticed that arty-free random games have a tendency to be campfests. Not more than what is usual, anyway. Arty-free battles tend to progress like any other battle, except that players are more free to use shallow defilade that would otherwise be open to artillery fire. I agree that arty is mostly important from a CW perspective and that it really wouldn't damage the game if it vanished from random battles.

But you have to have arty in random battles to have it in CW. How else are you going to grind up to CW-viable arty? :downs:

I enjoy playing arty probably as much is possible, but it's still really frustrating and mostly unfun outside of the few SPGs that are really good. The leFH is pretty much the best and is almost always fun to play. RIP old SU-26--undeniably the greatest version of SPG in this game.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 19, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Is the FCM 50t not good at making credits? It seems like it's the best t8 prem for players who are good. Pref mm, very mobile, very good gun with high DPM, supposedly cheap ammo, good gun depression. It's huge and has no armor, but that's where the being good comes in.

I'm seriously considering getting one even though I have the T34 and KV-5 already. They're just really slow and can be annoying to play sometimes. I tend to favor lights/mediums with good mobility.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 20, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

That's what they meant. I was confused by the other post, so thanks for clarifying. :unsmith:

I just unlocked my Chaffee and looking forward to playing it.

Are there any in-depth guides online to getting better? My 30 day WN8 is now up to 600, but I want to be a solidly green player. I don't really care about stat padding.

Tell me about it; even joined the Navy for real (Don't worry Captain, I've had the characteristics of this ship memorized since I was 12). I even designed a card game with warships when I was a kid and had my ship drawing taken away in grammar school. What's hilarious is I took Naval Architecture in college so I had to draw ships for class.

I know once botes open Beta gets released, I probably won't play much tonks even though it's quite a fun game.
Well, one way to get better is to play with good players and learn from them.

You can read about game mechanics on the WoT wiki, which will help you understand some really important things like how spotting and camouflage work.

Another thing you can do is look up guides to weak spots on all the tanks that you have been facing, particularly the heavily armored ones that are giving you trouble. Knowing how to penetrate certain tanks from the front can be very helpful, especially if you're playing tanks that suffer from low penetration guns. If you don't do damage, your wn8 will suck. Damage is the most important factor in wn8, as far as I can tell.

You can also watch replays from good players, and post your own replays and ask for advice/criticism. Maybe you're overextending, maybe you're peeking/poking, maybe you're being too passive. It's hard for us to give you specific advice without seeing how you play.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Yeah, is it worth joining a decent clan to do strongholds? I'm still in NDP.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

quote:

Exordis (11:08:59 PM) i'm pretty sure that tryint o explan any of this to you is a wasted effort. you'll believe what you wish, and thats fine. But because your turret is facing one way, doesn't mean things aren't happening behind you.
Exordis (11:09:11 PM) enjoy your gaming
Uranium235 (11:15:30 PM) i cordially invite you to eat a dick
Exordis (11:19:28 PM) Enjoy your gaming experience.
Exordis (11:19:36 PM) God loves you too.

I told him he was bad because he (a Super Pershing) and a Tiger could not push an SU-100 and E2 Sherman.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 22, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Animal posted:

Does the AMX CDC get preferential matchmaking? If it does, then I see no reason to buy the FCM anymore. Both have paper armor, but the CDC has better mobility, better gun, better depression, is smaller, and has comparable HP...
Nope. FCM will be superior for making GBS threads on tier 8 and 9 games. CDC will have to fight tier 10s.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Dukket posted:

I finally installed XVM and started using vbaddict - I was disappointed, but only mildly surprise to find out I'm a tomato :(
We're all tomatoes in real life because we play this game.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lol I just bought a bunch of gold. Not gonna pay cash for the AMX CDC.

I just got an FCM so I guess I shouldn't buy anymore internet tanks for now.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

WayAbvPar posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back now. It is better than it was (I hear), but I am scarred from suffering through that piece of poo poo right after it got bumped to tier 9.
Same... I don't think I can ever fully recover from the nightmare that grind was. It had its moments, but it was mostly poo poo.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Stevefin posted:

I think something broke with the AMX CDC on the NA severs

why?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Accuracy is INSANELY good for snapshotting on NA server. Hetzer snapshotting with the derp, SU-122-44s firing on the move, full bloom Comet and T-25 shots - everything is hitting WAY too often. e: and full bloom, 90 degree turning SU-100Y shots from 200m, apparently.

Don't play this game you moron.
So did they screw up the accuracy change? Is snapshotting better than it was before?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I noticed while fighting an AMX CDC that it has giant drive wheels that scream "shoot me so you destroy me while damaging the tank!"

It seems super easy to track them, which is a nice way to kill their mobility advantage.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mesadoram posted:

The hedge clipper and grass removal mods are banned from the NA server. Battle Assistant is not, and it was confirmed by WG.
Hedge clipper I can understand, but grass removal? Why? I'm pretty sure there's an in-game option that lets you turn off grass in sniper view, which is really the only time you could ever benefit from having it turned off.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Where can I go to look up all the 'hidden' stats for tanks? Like stats for terrain resistance, bloom, that sort of thing.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Pookum posted:

For some terrible reason I want to try out arty with battle assistant. What line will be the best for t1-t5? Im not sure if I want to go beyond that yet.

Ooh I just realized the KV-2 line goes to an arty how is that one?
Well, I know the S-51 used to be really good. I played through that line a long time ago.

I actually played the other Russian artillery at that tier, but the main difference is that the S-51 was faster and more maneuverable, while the one I played was a barn with a gun. They do great damage for that tier.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hellsau posted:

I was platooning my BP with a Sturer, a Chi-Ri, and other known awful tier 7s. Finished the grind at 77% winrate and something insanely low like 1500 average damage. The thing could not lose even with me doing awfully in it.

Tier 7 heavies are the best.
Except the AMX M4 mle 45, it's the worst.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Maybe I should start doing this. My SOP has been to bounce back and forth between my main grind (T32, now M103) and whatever the "On Track to..." vehicle is. I don't really care about stats as much as I do about playing Tank Pokemon and getting that next tank, but I would like to have more high damage/high XP games than not.
My normal procedure is to get all the doubles I need for the tanks I'm grinding, then cycle through my favorite tank that I'm grinding and one of my premium tanks that I am used to playing. Sometimes instead of playing my favorite grind-tank, I'll favor whatever grind-tank I happen to be hot with that day. If my favorite is the WZ-132, but I'm doing great with the T-44 that day, I'll stick with the T-44.

I usually end every session with a couple Pz I C or Ltraktor rounds because I know I can win 70-80% of those and that they'll be fun and low stress. It's a reliable way to end on a good note.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

truavatar posted:

Anyone playing Blitz? I played on my desktop awhile back, but that machine died on me and I haven't really played since. I downloaded Blitz on my ipad the other day though and it's a lot of fun!
I find it more fun once you get away from tier 1 and 2 games, where a lot of the pubbies have absolutely no clue what they are doing, and will sit staring across a field while an enemy tank runs up to them and shoots them in the side over and over again. Wait, how is that different from normal tanks?

But it is kind of fun to play when I need to kill time and have nothing else better to do. I am working on getting my M4 so I can derp pubbies with my iPhone.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

That's going to be so awesome. I was driving over the tracks in Ensk in my E-75 the other day and I rocked up and down like I was rowing through a hurricane in a dinghy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Nice, I have something to read on my subway commute this afternoon. :3: