Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

How is the Achilles?

Also Ensign you may want to add a note about Battle Assistant in the Mods section of the OP, seeing as it's basically required for most arty now.

e: aw, the 268 sucks now? I guess I'll stop when I get to the 704...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Hellsau posted:

There were a few posts last thread wondering if the 704 is just better than the 268, side by side. I definitely do not think the 268 belongs in clan wars outside of an insane gimmick strat.

Looks like WoTlabs has one too.

http://wotlabs.net/articles/comparison-object-268-vs-object-704/

Goddrat that's brutal. And the 704 gets to see tier 7 from time to time, too.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

We're doomed.

E: Of course we were doomed anyway....

Arrrgh I checked the team earlier and it said 'declined' so I assumed we weren't doing it (I'm SturmHaubitze). I guess we aren't doing it, are we? gently caress.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I was and it said 'declined', but that was earlier today and there were only 4 people. Now I look at it and see a schedule of battles etc. Ah well. What are the other days?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Also don't worry if your reload timer sometimes stops working--well, do worry, but all crosshair mods seem to be having issues with this.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

http://pastebin.com/x6pjZhDj

It's really helpful for scrubs like me, and I agree it should be in the op.

No KV-5, clearly a terrible list :colbert:

Just an FYI for anyone who hasn't been obsessively keeping up on WoT news, the E-25 is no longer available to buy in-game and will be gone from the online store sometime in January. After that you won't be able to buy it at all except through special sales which may not even happen given how OP it is, if the fate of the Type 59 is any guide.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Pantherchat:
The Panther 8.8 costs exactly twice as much as 7,300 vs 5,750 for the Warcrime (M10) Panther (barring discounts), it has 1500 hp vs 1300, and it gets regular tier 8 matchmaking vs pref 7. 120mm vs 100mm front hull armor, 80 vs 85 front turret, which is pretty negligible in both cases considering the tiers they see. View range is 390 vs 350, though for some reason the Warcrime gets a much better radio, 710 range vs 550. Max gun depression in the 8.8 is -5 vs -8 for the Warcrime. The 8.8mm gun is certainly better in pen, alpha, and DPM, but I wonder if at tier 8 it would feel like the M10's 75mm does at tier 7.

The only reason I can see to get the 8.8 would be if you had gold to spare and absolutely had to maximize your cash earned per battle. Even then you'll have to fire gold a fair amount so it may not be that compelling.

E: price aside, the lack of pref matchmaking is what gets me.

Sogol posted:

Blitz-
The Blitz tanks have the same or basically the same basic stats on paper as the PC version. I suspect that due to map size, time limit, touch controls that they play very differently than the PC version.

I think Blitz tanks have more hitpoints, actually. Offhand I know the PC T-34 has 450 hp while the Blitz one has 650. They do play very differently, movement controls are very coarse and the auto aim system is more context based, not directly triggered by the player.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2014

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Warcrime costs 5,750
Panther88 costs 7,300

My bad, the source I was using had it wrong. Thanks for the correction.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

Edit:
pro-tip for Blitz: go for the high armor heavy tanks since the pubbies have no idea about aiming for weak spots, and the driving controls are not good enough for fast tanks to maneuver well (and the maps are tiny anyways). I've been absolutelty wrecking even tier 7's in my KV-1.

So much this, the Blitz KV-1 is a murder machine. Angle your armor and you are basically immortal. I've actually been using the 57 on it, which really messes with people expecting the slow 85mm. And there's really no downside, given the low population of higher tiers.

Dalaram posted:

Is there any Data on the T-34-88 that is available on the Xbox version? Seems like it may be exclusive, and having a medium with the 88 at T-6 sounds awesome

http://worldoftanksxbox360edition.com/en/news/news/spotlight-soviet-t-34-88/

Looks like it's the Tiger's 8.8 L/56 (the gun it actually used, historically). I'm not sure how to interpret the stat bars on the right but if it's at all like the PC version then it's 130 pen with 220 damage vs. the 144 pen 180 damage D5T-85BM which that tank normally gets. Roughly the same soft stats and rate of fire.

edited, thanks Ensign

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 3, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's how all Russians sound in real life.

The Tiger's gun is L/56, and I don't think there's any actual evidence of this thing existing (aside from famous photoshop jobs). Yuri Pasholok posted a notebook scribble from one of his colleagues about something called a T-34-88 delivered to Leningrad for refurbishment after the war, but that's about it.

And yeah, I'd buy this thing over the T-34-85M any second.

Ah yeah, I meant the gun the Tiger historically used, I had never heard of this tank before. Also would love to try it out.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

God drat today sucked. Quints really do mess with people's minds.

I did have an awesome Bishop (!) round as a bright spot, though. Nailed several shots then went into full TD mode to hold an entire flank like a boss. Almost felt like pre-nerf arty, it was that good.
Replay coming.

Also had a very intense run-in with a Pz I C.

I hate the Valentine hull in general but the extra armor really saved my rear end this time. My Grille would have been toast.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 4, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

a Czech nationalist obsessing over black soldiers in the pre-integration US military. Don't think I've seen that one before.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Tanks.. with SweetFX running to tweak the graphics. Splitscreen below left side is without, right side with.

Whoa, that's definitely noticeable. How did you do that? I used SweetFX once some time ago for a different game and I've forgotten all of the ins and outs.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

-Edit, I was reading the password thread and is the situation with imbalanced mods as bad as it appears?

I mainly play public matches, so keep that in mind.

Not that I'm aware of, though of course no one tells you they're using cheats. I almost never take hits without 6th sense ("you've been spotted!" skill) having lit up beforehand, even in arty where I hardly move all game. My understanding of the hacks is that they're unable to actually extend your view range, they just stick huge pillars up, ping the map, show lines representing where unseen enemy guns are pointing, etc, so if cheating was a problem I would expect to take loads of damage without having been spotted. Of course, cheats could be used to see the direction and composition of an assault, but that's still only one player, maybe a platoon (up to 3) out of 15 total. Given how random the matchmaking is, they could be cheating their hearts out but still lose due to being low tier or having the rest of their team be poo poo. Which happens to non-cheating, highly skilled players pretty often anyway, if this thread is anything to go by.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 9, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Downloaded one of the all-in-one installers and dicked around with the settings until I found that. I can send you my settings file if you decide to install it again. Night and day difference and no impact on the FPS.

Please do, I'd love to try it out.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Are modded crosshair reload times still broken [due to WG being WG]? I know mine is (OMC, jimbo's I think, can't check now).

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Thanks, I got this running and it's a nice step up.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

rossmum posted:

If only the show had like, normal people in it instead of schoolgirls of a dubious age, I would watch the gently caress out of it. Like, it could even still be anime, just loving please stop with the creepy sexualisation of children for gently caress's sake Japan

Agggh yeah completely agreed. I feel like a decent WWII drama could make a killing, those tanks are just orgasmically detailed and the potential crossover appeal would be huge. But this is 2015 Japan, so of course it gets plastered with loli and fanservice.

e: ok maybe not so much overt fanservice? The gender, age, and clothes are still cringeworthy though

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

saintonan posted:

Ugh. I am a coinflipper from the previous page, but I realized last night that I'm the opposite of most bad players in this game in that when I enter a battle, I have a good idea what my strategy should be, where I should go, what tanks I should engage, where to aim on the red tonk.

My problem is that I just can't do it. Mechanically. I take far too long to aim, it takes me forever to get angled properly, I almost always turn the wrong way when I'm reversing, and I generally look like an idiot. Going into sniper mode confounds me, since my viewpoint in sniper mode is never where I was looking right before I changed modes. I guess I need to spend an hour in the tutorial just practicing move up, aim, fire, reverse back into cover, rinse, repeat.

I know your pain, this is me in many battles. Or I'll get to a Good Spot and then get nervous that I'm not helping my team if I don't see red tanks/don't have a shot within 30 seconds, so then I'll get creative and then dead shortly afterwards.

As for the reversing wrong turns, I recommend changing your steering model. I can't remember the exact name of the option, it's in one of the normal menus, not even a mod, and switching it means that you will always turn in the same direction regardless of whether you're reversing. Takes some getting used to but it's not too bad, and besides generally simplifying things it cuts way down on that whole turning-hull-and-turret-different-directions issue which always happens at the worst moments. Helps to have a minimap mod with a line indicating your tank and turret facing (which you should probably have anyway).

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 13, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

saintonan posted:

As far as I know this doesn't exist. I don't see it in-game, and searching for it only returns posts about people wanting it.

It's weird, I found one post advising me to turn it on and telling me where it is, and now of course when I google for it all I get are posts like you describe. Anyway it does exist, I'm using it, I just can't remember the exact menu option. I do know that it's a check box, I think it has the word 'reverse' in it, and the checkbox is by itself, outside a box shape containing other options/checkboxes, and on the right side of the menu window, maybe down a bit. I'll post a screenshot when I get home today.

e: beaten, Valle found it. Try playing with it on, it takes some getting used to but overall I think it works better, no need to switch keys to maintain a turn arc if you suddenly need to reverse nope, in fact the opposite :downs: but it does help with rotating to avoid/deflect incoming fire.

Also I've read some people saying apparently it's closer to how real tracked vehicles operate? If that matters, shrug. Maybe it will make the Archer more drivable? haven't tried that one yet.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 14, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Valle posted:

But...you don't need to switch keys if you keep it off! Turning it on means you WILL need to switch keys! :confused:

Really? Mine started with it switched on, weird.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Valle posted:

I use WASD, when I hit W and A I go forward and turn left. When I hit S and A I go backwards and turn left. Just like a car with a steering wheel really. If the option is not turned on in settings, that's how it should be...

Ah I'm utter poo poo at articulating. The setting I have it at means that A will always turn my tank's nose to the left, regardless of forwards or backwards movement. Meaning that if I'm trying to rotate my front end to face someone, I use the same directional key going forwards or reversing.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Valle posted:

Ah right, I see. So basically to keep your front towards an enemy tank trying to circle you, you'll go from AW to AS, while I'll go from AW to SD. I'm still sure not how people see this as "natural", but you're not the first case to ask about the reverse inverse function. I guess you're just special snowflakes! :sun:

That, and it also makes reversing in general easier. A always means counterclockwise, D always means clockwise, so I'm never driving 'backwards' so long as I'm looking in the direction I'm moving, if you get my drift. Like I said, a bit awkward to learn at first, but it means one less thing to keep track of in the heat of a brawl.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Maybe I've had the luck to only play against this new breed of shitler, but this has been a pretty terrific day for me.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Poil posted:

The Bishop's second gun is soooo good. I managed to carry a whole game with it. :swoon:

I picked up some vents and a net for it, is it worth buying something else for the third slot?

Isn't it? That gun really makes the tank, and it's good practice for the FV304, which is the only reason I'm playing this line.

Gun rammer and gun laying device, mandatory for any arty. Drop the net, the Bishop moves so often due to the tiny gun traverse that you'll barely get any use out of it. Actually, even if you had massive traverse, the rammer and GLD would take priority, the Bishop is just an especially poor candidate for a camo net on top of that.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 17, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Tias posted:

This game looks amazing, yet confusing. Should I just jump in, or is the learning curve steep?

Depends on the country and line of tanks. Start with the KV-1 line, so
USSR
MS-1 -> T-26 -> T-46 -> T-28 -> KV-1

It's a well armoured beast of a heavy tank at its tier, flexible and pretty forgiving of mistakes, as tanks go.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

How long will this round of personal missions last? I've looked but can't find any mention of it in-game.

e: duh, February 15th.

e2: er wait, that's just the community contest

rockopete fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 20, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

Forever! They're not supposed to expire.

Wait, so I have months and months to get the Obj 260?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

Dare I say you have years and years even.

Sweet, I may actually have a sliver of a chance of acquiring the 260.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

If nothing else, individual missions are a handy source of cash.

Magres posted:

Also, more British TDs. I know nothing about them :shrug:

For WWII history fans, this includes the Sherman Firefly and the Achilles, which are the only reason I'm playing that line. Also all new tanks have HD models, which is nice.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

FTR interview with Storm posted:

- it’s possible that tanks with limited MM (FCM 50t) will be removed from the shop
- KV-5 miniturret buff would only come at the expense of that tank losing its limited MM
- AMX CDC and T-54 model 1945 will not have limited MM
- Panther 88 will not recieve limited MM

I'm not sure what to make of this. Has there been any other word of WG ditching preferential matchmaking? Or is SS perhaps translating badly?

Also, as a KV-5 driver, I really hope they don't touch it. The weak R2D2 is actually a plus, as it means I know where most of my enemies will aim and I can wiggle or hide it accordingly. Buffing the armor and opening it to tier 10 would leave me with a shittier KV-4 that doesn't lose quite as much money.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Swedish attempt at a HEAT-proof tank?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

Man, this 4000 spotting damage light mission is no joke.

That's seriously like, once every hundred-and-fifty games for me. That's a lot of spotting to just get on a whim.

Does that start at the Stug IV grind or does it come later?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

It's the last light mission on the StuG IV grind.

You can shoot tracks off too and get damage that way, but man, this hardly feels worth it just for another StuG.

God dammit, Wargaming.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The only downsides I've found with using Battle Assistant--apart from it being useless for high arc pieces like the Bishop and FV304--are that it encourages tunnel vision and adds an extra step when targeting. Moving the camera in BA's perspective view can be clunky, especially if you're aiming over large obstacles like hills as the camera will jump back and forth to maintain a constant distance from the impact point. Hence it makes sense to switch to the top down view when shifting targets by more than 20-30 meters, then switch back to the BA view for precision work. All of which increases the time spent on targeting. This isn't a huge issue for limited traverse arty, where the track bloom gives you plenty of time to mess around with views, but it can prevent you from taking full advantage of the time/bloom savings in wide traverse pieces like the GW Panther.

Unrelated: I did ~2200 damage in my GW Panther last night for an arty mission that needed 2000 damage, but the mission didn't complete. Is damage via spotter halved for the purposes of these missions? Didn't see any mention of it in the briefing.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Nordick posted:

Considering that the WTE100 is pretty much just WG:s fabrication, a napkin tank will actually be an improvement in that regard.

Yeah, the WTE100 is boring and by far the most video game-y tank in the game. Good riddance.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, grinding the Russian medium line, I kept my T-34, should I side-grade to the SU-85?

Yes, the Soviet TD line is both solid and fun. After the SU-100, you can either choose the sluggish, stealthy, high (152mm!) alpha branch or the fast, stealthy, high DPM branch. Personally I chose the alpha line, and it has been both profitable and loads of fun.

MoraleHazard posted:

And from the T-34-85, I was thinking of going the T-44 route. Is that good, bad, or not matter?

The T-44 route is not bad, I'm in the midst of it. I suggest that from the 34-85 you get the KV-13, then the T-43 as a cheap side-grade. It's a bit more expensive than the T-43 alone, but making the IS line available for cheap is well worth it, even if you don't start on it now.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 28, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Nice work discovering that thing about the Arctic Fox. Wargaming could have told us that but then we wouldn't have enjoyed a page of furious 8-bit tank sperging. Truly a game for goons.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

I think we should back to talking about botes. Wargaming released a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcb8G2jqGg

"Blown up an allied destroyer!"

Nice touch, WG.

e: oh and a ram at the end. good trailer.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

While we're posting replays, does anyone have some decent 59-16 games to point out? WZ replays work too I guess if they apply to the 59-16 as well, I wouldn't know as I'm still grinding the line.
(e: that security hole in the replay system was fixed, right?)

Also, while it's on my mind, WoT Blitz definitely has a +/-2 tier matchmaking spread, at least for Tier IV and beyond. I think someone said +/-1 upthread.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 29, 2015